TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

It seems interesting so far, but I'd like to see links under the "breeds" heading that will bring me to pages that have started to have been filled out. Right now it's blank. (I'm assuming there are pictures there but since I'm visually impaired that makes no difference to me.)

Also, the elemental affinity thing ... how do you know what a dragon's affinity is? (I know the wiki has it, but I mean on the dragonopedia pages.) I checked the elements page and there was nothing on there. Or is that in picture format too?

Thank you smile.gif However, for the Bright Pinks for example, it actually states "Neutral" while the Splits only have a blank space.

Also thanks for the egg image help to Thuban, Sany and Ruby Eyes, it worked!

Pygmies also have nothing there for element.

Doesn't even mention it on the page.

Maybe 'special' dragons like pygmies and two-headed dragons just don't have that stuff.

I don't call it an encyclopedia. I call it an empty notebook. One I have technically already filled quite a bit over the years via the notes on my scroll from the dragons I have already collected. But they don't count and my encyclopedia will never be 'right" since it is telling me I have ZERO of a breed when I have hundreds of them.

Your dragons ate your homework so you have to start over. The end. d:

...I won't convince anyone this makes sense anyway, will I?

It seems interesting so far, but I'd like to see links under the "breeds" heading that will bring me to pages that have started to have been filled out. Right now it's blank. (I'm assuming there are pictures there but since I'm visually impaired that makes no difference to me.)

Also, the elemental affinity thing ... how do you know what a dragon's affinity is? (I know the wiki has it, but I mean on the dragonopedia pages.) I checked the elements page and there was nothing on there. Or is that in picture format too?

When you click a dragon which you have sufficiently observed, it will have a "Breed: name" with a link to its Dragonopedia page, where you can also find the elemental affinity of it (if it has one), all as text.

Like, a Pink dragon says this for me on the right side:

Breed: Pink Dragon

etc.

and then the Pink's Dragonopedia page has this at the top, provided you clicked enough Pink dragons:

Pink Dragon

Found in: All habitats

Elemental Affinity: Neutral

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Welp. We have to raise the breeds all over again?

Yeaaaaah my two Neglecteds were gifts and I doubt I'll be getting more any time soon. xd.png

Thanks though, TJ!

no, just click on them and on those of other Players

When you click a dragon which you have sufficiently observed, it will have a "Breed: name" with a link to its Dragonopedia page, where you can also find the elemental affinity of it (if it has one), all as text.

Like, a Pink dragon says this for me on the right side:

and then the Pink's Dragonopedia page has this at the top, provided you clicked enough Pink dragons:

I can access the pages from certain dragons--I have Pink, actually--but it doesn't show up on the main dragonopedia page. Which is weird, because one would think that the links would show up under the "breeds" heading.

*shrug* Makes sense to me, anyway.

The element thing makes more sense now, I guess I just haven't observed enough of one dragon type yet and that's why it doesn't show up on any of the pages I have access to. Thanks.

I'm kinda meh about the whole not having it filled out if you already have the breed... I know some things are really rare (like dinos) so it'll be hard to even observe them let alone try to grow one if you already have them.

Also if you freeze a hatchie does it not unlock the full listing? I know myself I perfer frozen babies to adults... so would be more likley to raise something and freeze it than have multiple adults. Would that still unlock the breed or would I have to observe others still to get it unlocked?

Also do leetle trees have an entry in the enclycopedia? or do we not know yet? been clicking all my dragons but nothing's showing up yet.

Edited by Melisande

I can access the pages from certain dragons--I have Pink, actually--but it doesn't show up on the main dragonopedia page. Which is weird, because one would think that the links would show up under the "breeds" heading.

*shrug* Makes sense to me, anyway.

The dragonopedia page actually has links to each breed once you observed (clicked) a few dragons of that breed. Those links are on the breed's image, though.

Also do leetle trees have an entry in the enclycopedia?  or do we not know yet?  been clicking all my dragons but nothing's showing up yet.

I guess if you don't even see a shadow outline here, there isn't going to be any entry for them. Trees are no dragons, I suppose. I'm not sure why Chickens show up then though biggrin.gif

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Do observations need to be of adults or do frozen hatchies / growing eggs / babies count for observing things?

I was looking forward to the encyclopedia, but this

"The encyclopedia is starting from scratch to give everyone the chance to fill out the encyclopedia (rather than having it all already unlocked for them)."

just made me not care about it at all.

We all don't have the same chances of getting dragons, but we all have the same chance to fill the encyclopedia since viewing other's people dragons count.

So not counting all the time we already spent raising Dragons doesn't give "everyone the chance" because as it works everyone already has the chance!

So it just doesn't make sense, but it does undervalue all our time raising Dragons so far which isn't fair.

So... hey, for now I'll just ignore the encyclopedia and keep playing normally.

I'm sorry for everyone who has worked so hard on it, but this isn't fair and there is not reason for it to be like this.

This sums up my feelings exactly. I don't want to go through all my breeds and breed again just to 'observe' the egg to hatching stage. I don't want countless numbers of surplus dragons on my scroll just to fill in the encyclopaedia.

The whole thing just devalues years spent building up a scroll. Thanks, but no thanks.

Do observations need to be of adults or do frozen hatchies / growing eggs / babies count for observing things?

Frozen hatchies / growing eggs / babies do count for observing things smile.gif

It looks like there are several unlocks for different things. Observations on eggs, hatchlings and adults count for the sprite outlines at the top of each dragonopedia page (the mouseover on the shadow images tell you), and at the bottom you see a line that tells you what and how much you need to raise or observe for the next text factoid. The information is all there, it's just a bit overwhelming still so it's easy to miss smile.gif

I don't want to go through all my breeds and breed again just to 'observe' the egg to hatching stage. I don't want countless numbers of surplus dragons on my scroll just to fill in the encyclopaedia. 

The whole thing just devalues years spent building up a scroll. Thanks, but no thanks.

You know, you could value the collecting effort of other players and click their dragons to fill your book, after you just re-visited and clicked all your own wink.gif Breeding is not a requirement here, just an option.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

a small note i guess, is there going to be a way to open up the discontinued breeds completely?

cause there are no more of those eggs so no way to observe them

Yep, the more I look the more I wish it just took stock of what we already had. Finding enough ND hatchies to stare at all over again is going to be miserable. T___T

You know, you could value the collecting effort of other players and click their dragons to fill your book, after you just re-visited and clicked all your own wink.gif Breeding is not a requirement here, just an option.

It just kinda feels like another added feature that was poorly implemented so it's not as cool as it sounded like first announced... like the site revamp and how the actions pages on dragons are still all messed up in columns that are hard to use and don't look as nice as the neat lists we had before. Still waiting for a resolution with that issue but now hey look it's something new and shiny, look every one let's talk about that and cover up other issues that people have complaints about, yeay!

I will say I am VERY unhappy about the "Owned 0" on the over 1,000 dragons I have. We should get credit for the dragons we have raised already.... maybe we have to click on our own, but if we have taken the time to breed and grow our dragons, and they are on our scroll we should have credit for them and not be told we own 0. I'm sorry but that is just a big red flag on this project. Some of us have spent years getting the dragons we have and it's kind of insulting to have a big fat 0 in the encyclopedia things.

Edited by Melisande

It just kinda feels like another added feature that was poorly implemented so it's not as cool as it sounded like first announced... like the site revamp and how the actions pages on dragons are still all messed up in columns that are hard to use and don't look as nice as the neat lists we had before. Still waiting for a resolution with that issue but now hey look it's something new and shiny, look every one let's talk about that and cover up other issues that people have complaints about, yeay!

I will say I am VERY unhappy about the "Owned 0" on the over 1,000 dragons I have. We should get credit for the dragons we have raised already.... maybe we have to click on our own, but if we have taken the time to breed and grow our dragons, and they are on our scroll we should have credit for them and not be told we own 0. I'm sorry but that is just a big red flag on this project. Some of us have spent years getting the dragons we have and it's kind of insulting to have a big fat 0 in the encyclopedia things.

i agree especially with those who have discontinued breeds where are we going to find a frilled egg??

*reads the last few pages*

Errr...I'll come back later, after I've played with the new toy a little.

Count me among the users who wish this took into account dragons we already own. I shouldn't need to go observe all these dragons when I already own adults of all the species that are available. I've spent two and a half years "observing" and raising dragons on this site and this feels like I have to start all over again.

ok, I unlocked Frills and Old Pinks by finding them in lineages, then clicking on them, checking their children and finding frozen hatchlings there as well.

The only Thing open at the Moment is their eggs... :-(

Also, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BREED ANY NEW DRAGONS FOR THIS.

You just Need to click on them, either your own or other people's, can be hatchlings/eggs on hatching sites, can be Dragons in lineages, frozen hatchies, whatever...

I'm not overly excited about this. I will be taking my time and just playing the game the way I usually do. If that unlocks info, great! If not, oh well.

I do think those of us who have played the game for years should get credit for owning the actual number of dragons we already have. I don't expect that to unlock the information -- I am fine with that taking time and additional observation -- but I would like all our years of collecting to be acknowledged by showing the number of the breed that we actually own, rather than showing as 0.

I am also finding the site extremely laggy today and all the fansites are lagging, which I assume is because of the mad rush to observe as many dragons as possible right away. I hope things calm down with time. My whole encyclopedia page is not even loading completely right now.

Edited by purplehaze

We should get credit for the dragons we have raised already.... maybe we have to click on our own, but if we have taken the time to breed and grow our dragons, and they are on our scroll we should have credit for them and not be told we own 0.

Yeah, I support that. I'm currently clicking all my dragons anyway to unlock breed info, so I'd be fine with that being the way that the dragons that I do OWN registering with the Encyclopedia. So far, that's my only quibble with the whole thing - I want the stats to be accurate.

Well, that and some concern about how we're supposed to unlock retired breed egg sprites... unless there's going to be a RE-release soon? *Big hopeful grin*

Edited for clarity.

Edited by LibbyLishly

ok, I unlocked Frills and Old Pinks by finding them in lineages, then clicking on them, checking their children and finding frozen hatchlings there as well.

You just Need to click on them, either your own or other people's, can be hatchlings/eggs on hatching sites, can be Dragons in lineages, frozen hatchies, whatever...

The problem I have with it is that I own Black Marrow dragons and the page says I own 0.

I think it's fine to keep opening of new information to clicking / observing... but the encyclopedia should import the numbers of each breed we own already. It's just lazy that it is not doing it already. Even if we have to click on our own dragons to make them count as owned, if we have the dragon on our scroll it should count as being owned in the encyclopedia.

Rubyshoes has over 10k dragons and she hasn't complained and I'm pretty sure that's more then what most of you have... some of you are just ungrateful TJ doesn't HAVE to add new features he does because he cares about the site and the people who play it...

Stop complaining about the little things EVERYONE starts at 0 you shouldn't be special just because you were here longer..how unfair is that? rolleyes.gif

Though I do agree it should show how many you have of a certain breed but honestly it's not that big of an issue for me it would just help me keep track of my falconiform army xd.png

Edited by Pestilence420

still we should have SOMETHING that shows what we have done, raising and "observing" thousands of dragons should count for something, and having to go back and click (which takes forever btw) each and every one is tedious and will push people away from the sight