TJ09

ANSWERED:Time-based egg slot

What concerns me is that, if players insist on making this more complicated than it should be, the whole suggestion could be preempted.

I would much rather see a refined suggestion with most if not all potential kinks worked out BEFORE implementation, rather than rushing it to live just because "DO WANT!!!".

While I'm between neutral and supporting for this suggestion (It goes live as per TJ's original idea? Good. It goes live with improvement/balancing measures? Good. It doesn't go live because there are problems? Not a loss.), the idea of "hush hush stop opposing this so it can get through in lightning speed" horrifies me.

*and for those few naysayers, I seriously doubt you would not use the extra slot*

As usual, this statement is utterly pointless.

Just because I opposed GoN breeding doesn't mean I'm not going to use the feature when the cause is lost. In fact I just did, a week or two ago. It's called making the best out of a bad situation. I personally find the raffles more trouble than they're worth for the site, which doesn't stop me from trying my luck for a money printer either. The boat has long since sailed and is not coming back, so why not make deal with the mess that you do not like? What's the point of arguing further about something that lacks a realistic chance to be rolled back? It's most likely going to stay as a feature, may as well just use it.

Edited by CNR4806

Not really sure why there is so much focus on what other people may do with their extra slots since the user's only concern will be what he or she does with the extra egg slot (and accompanying hatchling slots) should this be implemented.

I'm pretty sure that TJ will have his own way of deciding the parameters for a user's activity beyond the allotted one year/four year time period and hashing and rehashing our understandings of what constitutes "being active" probably won't affect the outcome of this suggestion. If you want the slot, be active to whatever extent you define it as.

Also, while it may seem unfair that others who are inactive for a time or have found a way to abuse the game be awarded extra slots, it is fair that every player has a chance at the extra slot regardless of game play. In the end, the extra slot will be used or unused by each player and worrying over what happens to that egg slot is the same as worrying over an egg or hatchling once it leaves your scroll. It's not yours.

Here's a better explanation of TJ's more recent thoughts.

Cheers!

C4.

Which still show a MAXIMUM of 8 slots. Just earned in a variety of ways.

There's two components here:

1. An alternate way to get more egg slots without trophies (by being active for a period of time).

2. An increase in the maximum egg slot count (7 -> 8).

Either, neither, or both could happen.

So it could be that everyone stays at 7 max, but people without trophies can get 7 eventually.

Or it could be 8 max, and people with trophies get 7, then 1 for being here 1+ years, and people without trophies have to be here 4+ years to get 8).

I am in favor of having 1 egg slot granted for 1 year's activity whether one has attained a trophy or not. Don't see a need for additional slots for subsequent years especially if one has not attained a trophy by then. 1 egg slot for activity seems enough. If someone plays for longer than 2 years without earning a trophy why would they need more than 5 egg slots anyway?

I do like the idea of 8 egg slots so collecting new releases in pairs is easier, but it would not disturb me in any way if TJ decided against it.

I am in favor of having 1 egg slot granted for 1 year's activity whether one has attained a trophy or not. Don't see a need for additional slots for subsequent years especially if one has not attained a trophy by then. 1 egg slot for activity seems enough. If someone plays for longer than 2 years without earning a trophy why would they need more than 5 egg slots anyway?

I do like the idea of 8 egg slots so collecting new releases in pairs is easier, but it would not disturb me in any way if TJ decided against it.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking at the moment.

Yes, there may be a handful of people who created an account several years ago and then came back recently without much activity in that time. Maybe they haven't even reached their first trophy. But it won't be that many. Whether they get that one additional egg slot and a birthday cake icon on top of their scrolls is pretty much negligible. Maybe not exactly fair by some people's definition, but not much of a problem either. They might lose interest again soon and never really make use of that slot. Or they might start playing in earnest. Neither scenario is bad in itself.

Of course, there might also be people who have been active only sporadically, with long hiatuses in between their spurts of activity. They probably won't use their additional slot much either. Yes, they'd have it for Halloween or other holiday breeding seasons - but only one extra slot. With a gold trophy, they'd have 3 (plus 9 hatchie slots). It's not exactly a drop in the bucket, but not nearly enough to warrant an outcry or the sharpening of pitchforks.

Then there are those players who have very specific scroll goals who won't ever reach 500 dragons in the next few years. Come to think of it - most of these people are looking for one of each sprite or one of each stage (ungendered hatchie, female hatchie, male hatchie, female adult, male adult). Considering we have over 100 full sets of 5 sprites - not counting unbreedables or holidays - it's safe to assume even those people should reach 500 non-growing things eventually. Even those who only want one adult of each gender should reach the silver trophy. I might be wrong, but I assume that the number of players who won't reach at least a silver trophy within the next year or so are a very small minority indeed. They probably won't even use their full allot of egg slots, anyway - not matter whether they go to 6, 7 or eight from what they have now.

Anyway, it seems like the +1 for one year of membership is a very good compromise. Sure, 1 year of activity would be more "fair" - but it's overly complicated, hard to explain the exact mechanics ("Which amount of inactivity counts as inactivity?" "Does the counter go back to 0 if you've been inactive in the meantime?") since we usually won't be told them in the first place, and, IMHO, unnecessary.

OK, Count me in as one of those people who don't want an extra slot.

My reasoning boils down to the idea that making choices is part of what keeps this game challenging. I always thought the uneven slot numbers were on-purpose so that we couldn't get an even number of males and females of a new breed unless we chose to only use 6 slots, and/or we couldn't get an even number of a new breed if two were released at once. If you want to fill all 7 slots, you have to choose which gender or breed is going to get the short shrift. I've always enjoyed that challenge, even though I'm one of those people who want even numbers of males and females.

Also, there are plenty of days where I wish I could pick up more eggs, but because I can't, I have to make tough choices about what I put in my slots. If I could collect everything, nothing would be specific or special.

I play another dragon game where collecting is fairly unlimited, and I can tell you that I don't bother visiting that game even once a day. I also don't work on lineages there or try to get to know anyone using the site. I could get a lineage to 10th gen in a few hours on that site. There's no point.

Being forced to make choices on DC is part of the challenge. You can't have everything immediately. How many of you realize that we're quickly coming to a point where we can't really get more than a few of each holiday breed during the holiday breeding week? You can either get a few new adults of each breed or focus in on a couple breeds, or some other idea you come up with. But choices are going to have to be made.

And many of you are saying, "but it's just one more slot, big deal". But then we lose the challenge of having to choose between genders and breeds. We can just have 4/4, which makes the game easier, and, thus, less interesting.

Also, where does the call for slot increases end? People have been wanting 8 slots for years. Once we get 8, people will be asking for 9. Then 10. At some point, the slot increases have to stop or, again, the game gets too easy and becomes less interesting because we won't have to make choices. We will be able to have everything, all at once. Which is a snooze.

Edited by stardust13

Might make it less interesting and boring to you, but to me it's completely the opposite. One more egg slot to help me when I'm trying to breed lineages or get the rest of the hatchlings I need to freeze or even collect more Seragammas! Sure it's just one egg but one egg is better than no egg. I also do like the prospect of getting 4 of each adult when they come out.

You still have to make choices, even with 8. One egg slot won't magically take away every opportunity where once you had to make a choice. :\

Yes, there will always be someone who wants more slots. That's why there are multiscrollers in the first place. BUT most people who I've seen commenting on wanting more egg slots, in this thread and other places, say either 8 or 10 when they talk about their ideal total. Most want 8 because it makes a perfect even gen and they can have a good amount of males and females at release, whereas others that want 10 want it because it's a good "finishing number". But I personally wouldn't use the reason of "this will only make people want MORE" to prevent something like this from happening. Yes, someone is always going to want more. No, we can't prevent that. Just because people might ask for more doesn't mean we'll get more. :\ That's just me, though, and I can understand being against adding more for that. Sometimes, especially when there's a lot of voices, it can get hard to say no and then you get run over and have to give the people what they want. But I don't think that's going to happen. :U

I really think that the argument of "but they aren't as special when I have more" is more of a personal problem. I mean, if you (general you) KNOW that the dragons won't be as special when you get more, then why are you getting more? If it's because you can't control yourself, then that's really your problem. imo I think it's a little selfish that, since someone can't help but grab eggs until they're full, they don't want more slots because then they'll grab more and then feel like their dragons aren't as special anymore. That's just my thoughts on it. Not trying to offend, and I'm sorry if I came off as mean, but that's really what I think about it. :U If someone wants only a certain amount of dragons so what they have remains special, and they don't want to grab too many eggs at once to keep that balance, then they need to exercise better self-control. They can pretend they only have 4 slots, or one slot, or however many, and then use their own willpower to NOT get more. A limit is a LIMIT. It prevents you from getting MORE than that, but there's absolutely nothing forcing someone to completely fill up on eggs.

After having read the two most recent posts, one a sound and logical argument for what qualities actually make a game fun, and the other a little whining and 'but I want more!' without thinking through the desire's implications past the immediate gratification, I rescind one of my earlier statements in this thread.

I no longer find 8/24 a good solution. I think max limits should stay as is. 1 year as an alternate way of getting one of the three increases is fine. You'd either get the full 7/21 from bronze, silver, gold or from bronze, silver, 1 year, but the limit would stay at 7/21.

Why? See stardust13's well-reasoned, insightful post just two above.

Baseline: I just want this game which I enjoy to be as fun and as good of a game as possible.

Wouldn't choosing not to use your extra slot also be a hard choice you make for yourself?

~

I personally don't want much more than 8 - that's waaaay too many growing things to pretend to take care of. I think around what we have now is nice to take care of - yes, even if I feel like rawr overload and really wish I could have some more sometimes (really that's a wish for a hatchie incubate thought ;3 ). I also love the idea of getting those extra slots to people who don't collect dragons so quickly but have been here a while and may want to make use of more slots. I love the idea of earning them through time. (I am personally for making this activity based but it doesn't really matter if it's purely time based, either.)

~

I don't see how wanting it because it will improve your game time is selfish or silly, lol. This is game. We're allowed to want things because we'd like them. =)

Wouldn't choosing not to use your extra slot also be a hard choice you make for yourself?

I wish. This is a game played with other people - even those who don't know anyone else who plays interact with other players' lineages via AP eggs and whatnot. Having that slot available and unused becomes a handicap and annoyance to other players. For one instance of plenty - many breeders check if their trade partner/giftee is locked before breeding. How insensitive, ungrateful, and impolite would it be to not pick up immediately, after they had checked if I was locked, because I want this game to be (fairly and across the board) played with one fewer slot?

After having read the two most recent posts, one a sound and logical argument for what qualities actually make a game fun, and the other a little whining and 'but I want more!' without thinking through the desire's implications past the immediate gratification

Why?  See stardust13's well-reasoned, insightful post just two above.

Baseline: I just want this game which I enjoy to be as fun and as good of a game as possible.

One opinion of fun ≠ other opinions of fun. So what if someone likes instant gratification in a game? Especially since in this case, not everyone feels a drawback to that instant gratification. Others, like you, don't like it because (from what I gathered from earlier posts) it makes their dragons less special and makes the game more boring.

Also, while I realize you're not directly saying which post is which, considering that you said Stardust's was insightful and well reasoned, I'm going out on a limb here to assume my post was whining (even a little bit), which I would like to have pointed out.

...yes, I just read that post and replied to it. :\ (not saying you were telling me to look at it, just others in general, but just wanted to confirm that I had read it and replied :P)

Again, some people think the game will be more enjoyable and fun with a round, 8 slots. Some, like you, don't. Because those opinions contradict, there can be no one definition of "good", "enjoyable", or "fun" for this game.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

One opinion of fun ≠ other opinions of fun.

This.

I have to disagree with stardust13. I understand that some people think being forced to make tough decisions is fun, but I'm not one of those people. In fact, I find it to be profoundly unfun, and contrary to what I'm playing this game for. (This is a very minor thing with Dragon Cave, but I've played enough other games to know just how strongly I dislike it.) And I know I can't be the only one who feels this way.

As for challenge... yes, some degree of challenge is important for every good game. But I don't see how tough decisions based on uneven egg slots significantly increases the "challenge" of DC, even ignoring my previous statement of dislike. There are plenty of other challenges, ones which can eventually be overcome and don't leave lasting negative consequences (eg. that one eternally un-paired halloween dragon) - which, to some people, is more than a minor annoyance.

One opinion of fun ≠ other opinions of fun. So what if someone likes instant gratification in a game? Especially since in this case, not everyone feels a drawback to that instant gratification. Others, like you, don't like it because (from what I gathered from earlier posts) it makes their dragons less special and makes the game more boring.

I was speaking for myself, but also a broad audience of games. I have designed, written, implemented, deployed and run, collected feedback on, redeployed and rerun, etc. eleven games, one of which involved (among other things) about 300,000 words of writing (for reference, _A Game of Thrones_ is approximately 298,000 words). I have a lot of data about what people find fun in games, beyond just myself.

Also, while I realize you're not directly saying which post is which, considering that you said Stardust's was insightful and well reasoned, I'm going out on a limb here to assume my post was whining (even a little bit), which I would like to have pointed out.

No character defamation intended. wink.gif I just meant that I felt your post sometimes was reiterating complaints rather than posting more arguments which could be debated.

Again, some people think the game will be more enjoyable and fun with a round, 8 slots. Some, like you, don't. Because those opinions contradict, there can be no one definition of "good", "enjoyable", or "fun" for this game.

Of course not. I meant those in the case of "good/enjoyable/fun for the majority of people." I speak based not just on personal opinion but based on life experience on this exact issue with a broad player base in various different games.

As a note: at this point I feel like the pro-side is just ganging up on anyone with an opinion that they do not like. Only one single "naysayer" other than me has posted more than once in this thread (that person posted twice). I have put myself out there as the public face of the other side because there needed to be one, not because it is fun. I feel an incredible amount of peer pressure right now to cave and just let you all have your day of basking in your belief that no one could possibly be against your pet idea. I won't cave, but that is no way to get productive discussions done. Both sides have some extremely good points - I have expressly mentioned yours, would you be so kind as to return that respect?

Anyway, this is my last post for a while, as I have a grueling schedule of real life to attend to. I will be back to the thread when I remember to and have time. I'm sure you all will generate plenty of comments, jabs, questions, and counterarguments for me to respond to when I get back, if no one else responds in the meanwhile.

I don't think there's a personal problem with those who feel like 8 slots is imbalanced. Many games have improperly balanced mechanics, and while you can normally abstain from using those options for the sake of challenge Dragon Cave is different. We all have an impact on one another; every egg a single player takes is an egg several others missed. We can't just pretend that extra slot doesn't exist because it does and most players will use it. Personally I don't think that 1 extra slot will hurt things too much (though 7/8 slots seems way more of a luxury than necessity), but hearing other opinions is important.

I was speaking for myself, but also a broad audience of games.  I have designed, written, implemented, deployed and run, collected feedback on, redeployed and rerun, etc. eleven games, one of which involved (among other things) about 300,000 words of writing (for reference, _A Game of Thrones_ is approximately 298,000 words).  I have a lot of data about what people find fun in games, beyond just myself.

No character defamation intended.  ;)  I just meant that I felt your post sometimes was reiterating complaints rather than posting more arguments which could be debated.

As a note: at this point I feel like the pro-side is just ganging up on anyone with an opinion that they do not like.  Only one single "naysayer" other than me has posted more than once in this thread (that person posted twice).  I have put myself out there as the public face of the other side because there needed to be one, not because it is fun.  I feel an incredible amount of peer pressure right now to cave and just let you all have your day of basking in your belief that no one could possibly be against your pet idea.  I won't cave, but that is no way to get productive discussions done.  Both sides have some extremely good points - I have expressly mentioned yours, would you be so kind as to return that respect?

I realize, but part of your post just seemed to imply that you thought that, since you didn't find it fun, it wasn't fun and couldn't be fun for others. :U But cool, that's really awesome. c: I was talking about this game, though. What makes it fun is vastly different than other games, especially those completely outside its genre. They might share some features, but otherwise I would just focus on what the playerbase here thinks is fun.

Fair 'nough. I didn't think I was exactly complaining, but it might have come off as such. I wasn't really putting up a new point/argument, but rather just countering the one I had just read.

Well, I mean, if we don't agree with your opinion, you probably WILL get counterarguments. It's not that anyone is trying to gang up on you, and you may or may not be a minority (the true minority are the loud ones posting here in the first place :U). I do like that you and at least one other person are providing counterarguments against this suggestion; it broadens discussion and actually brings to light that not everyone likes having more slots (or, at least other than just a neutral stance). From what I remember of your previous posts, I thought that my recent posts were still counterarguments, even if they weren't directed right at you, specifically. If I (or anyone else) didn't reply to something specific in one of your posts, feel free to post it again and reinforce your opinion. Or something. o3o

---

@Tehya: like I said, it was just my opinion. c: Yes, the slot is there, but it does NOT mean you NEED to fill it. And if you can't abstain from filling that slot, but then feel terrible because it makes the game less fun and your dragons less special, that really does seem like a personal trouble you should solve on your own. :U Either truly believe strongly enough that it makes it less fun, etc, and don't take extra eggs, or eventually move on (yeah, probably easier said than done, but still :c).

Of course other opinions are important; I'm not, and I don't think anyone else is, saying that no one else is allowed to post their opinions. But we ARE allowed to post our own opinions and thoughts and counterarguments against someone else's opinions (provided neither side is attacking the other personally). XD I'm not saying you thought anyone specific was trying to prevent others from stating their opinions, I just thought I should mention that I'm not trying to, personally. At least I hope I'm not. :U

I must admit that I'm not really coming from the same angle as Lavinia - I'm thinking about things in terms of increased competition. That can't be fixed by limiting yourself, so it's a fair concern. I wasn't here when trophies were introduced, so I'm not quite sure how much more competition I ought to expect if/when this is implemented. I think it'll be alright since it's just one slot and we seem to be doing alright after trophies became a thing, but I haven't experienced just what an increase in slots does to the cave.

As for the decreased challenge in egg slot management and how it affects enjoyment of the game? I think it's just another matter of balance that definitely needs to be considered and discussed. Is that aspect of gameplay very important to Dragon Cave? Is it meant to be difficult? Challenge is fun, and while self imposed difficulty can also be a blast it's nice if the base game itself offers a decent challenge. This is definitely true of hunting, but if egg slot management is also supposed to be difficult this change would adversely affect that.

(don't worry, I don't think anybody here is trying to suppress opinions smile.gif)

Edited by Tehya Faye

Ok, I'm an oldbie here. Not only was I here before the egg/hatchling limits changed but I was part of the discussion that led to the change. First a piece of old history. In The Beginning of Dragon Cave there were only 4 egg slots. One was added not long into the game but could only be filled by a bred egg. There were only 4 hatchling slots. But egg slots and hatchling slots were tied together. If you were locked on one of them you were locked. So managing slots was very challenging, but in a way that was also frustrating and difficult to explain to new players. Most people dealt with it by never having more than 3 hatchlings at a time and most usually never more than 3 eggs. This was also before the days of Incubate and eggs could not hatch or hatchlings grow up until they hit the 3.5 days left mark, so raising a new dragon took 7 full days. There was a brief period of insanity in there where an egg could hatch at a random time between 4 days left and 3 days left, but thankfully it was brief, because it made slot handling more frustrating than ever.

The idea of divorcing egg limits from hatchling limits was proposed. It was also proposed, either as a separate measure or as a part of the separation, to reward long term players with the ability to have more than 4 eggs at a time. The ingame reason why we couldn't have more than 4 eggs at a time was that we couldn't take care of more, but as we grow in experience as dragontenders we should get better at taking care of growing dragons, right? so the reward was the ability to care for more. By making the limit X eggs plus a total limit of growing things the formerly frustrating issue of the tie between hatchlings and eggs was eliminated. The 4/5/6/7 egg limit was proposed in that way because the trophies proposed were none/bronze/silver/gold. At that time it was rare for anyone to have more than 500 dragons total. Those limits made total sense at that time. For the most part they still do.

So, what was the effect on the game of those expanded slots? People are able to raise more dragons, more quickly. It has not harmed the competition of the game though. In some ways it has increased it. People aren't locked as quickly, so they take more eggs from the cave/ap, which increases the competition for each egg. Slot management is still important, but no longer frustrating.

There have been suggestions for higher trophy levels that would add more egg slots. My own proposal was that one more trophy level that adds an egg slot at 1000 dragons be implemented, and any additional trophy levels add something else as a reward, because, yes, there is such a thing as too many egg slots. I wasn't thinking in terms of it making the game easier because to an extent it doesn't. Adding more than one additional egg slot puts more competition for the eggs that are dropped, making the gap between the fast computers and the slow ones more of an issue.

I want that 8th egg slot because to a large degree many of us raise our dragons by powers of two, and seven just doesn't lend itself to that. TJ's counter proposal that adds the proposed 8th slot by time, not by dragons raised, I think is a better mechanic.

I'm taking a long time to get to my final point here, but I wanted to come from the side of one who has seen this game go through many changes. Some were not so great, and TJ changed back from them. Others were beneficial. The biggest game changer so far has not been additional slots but teleport, which allows safe and controlled trading instead of the mad scramble in the ap. It has given trading eggs and hatchlings a hugely great impact on how we play the game.

What I'm taking so long to get to though is this: adding a slot does make managing slots easier in a sense, because more room means less hard choices. It doesn't really make the game easier because it increases the competition for each egg. That includes competition for what eggs are bred, since bred eggs are also counted in the ratios. So one result of adding another slot is that you have less hard choices because it's harder to get that particular desired egg because competition for it has increased.

--Wow, wall-o-text. tl;dr: adding egg slots before didn't make the game easier. What was done before was done all at once, and resulted in increased competition for the eggs that were created. That by itself is a reason to not go over 8 egg slots, but I don't believe 8 would increase the competition to unbearable heights. I'm not talking about fun or not fun, but from experiencing changes through the life of the game and the impact those changes have had.

I wish.  This is a game played with other people - even those who don't know anyone else who plays interact with other players' lineages via AP eggs and whatnot.  Having that slot available and unused becomes a handicap and annoyance to other players.  For one instance of plenty - many breeders check if their trade partner/giftee is locked before breeding.  How insensitive, ungrateful, and impolite would it be to not pick up immediately, after they had checked if I was locked, because I want this game to be (fairly and across the board) played with one fewer slot?

Whether it becomes something that hinders your ability to play in some way or not doesn't change the fact that it's a hard choice. (And I don't agree that it is a hindrance. It can be hard to remember to keep that slot open, yes, but keeping that slot open is a choice and not an impossible one. My biggest problem when keeping a slot open is that when I do, that's often the time I get gifts, lol. And a lot of the time in return, I throw a hatchling to the AP to keep that slot clear! It's a hard choice, but I make it because that's what I need in the game at the moment.) If someone offers you a gift/lineage thingamabop now and you're locked, you have the same exact choice to make as you would with an extra slot you don't want to use. Either dump something or remember to keep two slots open while you're waiting.

Besides, players play now with a different number of slots re:trophies. There are players now who keep one slot open (for example, when waiting for a thuwed - and that can take months).

I would much rather see a hard crackdown in multi's than not getting an extra slot just because multis (which I know isn't the argument here, but since it has come up in the thread, I am putting this here).

And I support the extra slot because I know there's a lot of people who dislike the odd numbers and I don't think 8/24 is going to radically change the game or hut anybody limit-wise. I also really, really support the idea of increased limits via time not totally tied to trophy so that semi-active players who don't collect as much can have those slots when they need or want them.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Random passing thought:

Add another egg slot for users that have been around for over a year, regardless of badge.

So with Gold you'd get up to 8 eggs, but people without gold (not sure how many people don't get gold within a year, but it's certainly possible) also still get it.

Fully support! Thank you, TJ.

I also raise dragons in pairs, and this would make it easier!

I-If I might dare ask, though, could that extra slot be accompanied by a +3 overall holding increase as well? ;o; (so gold trophies could have 8 eggs / 24 total things, for example)

I would support this, also.

And I like the idea that was mentioned of a platinum trophy with over 1000 dragons raised. smile.gif

How many of you realize that we're quickly coming to a point where we can't really get more than a few of each holiday breed during the holiday breeding week? You can either get a few new adults of each breed or focus in on a couple breeds, or some other idea you come up with. But choices are going to have to be made.
*waves hand* I've been saying that in the thread were we used to be discussing raised holiday limits.

Also, where does the call for slot increases end? People have been wanting 8 slots for years. Once we get 8, people will be asking for 9. Then 10. At some point, the slot increases have to stop or, again, the game gets too easy and becomes less interesting because we won't have to make choices. We will be able to have everything, all at once. Which is a snooze.
I don't agree with this. We used to have only 4 (5) eggs plus 4 hatchlings before we couldn't take any more. If we had 4 (or more) hatchlings, we couldn't pick anything up. The same goes for 4 eggs - a 5th (with no more than 4 hatchlings on your scroll, either) had to be bred. Sure, it made for some tough choices that often involved freezing - but I'd never ask to go back to that system because I like the new one. Even if we don't have to make quite as many decisions. Although I'm sure we'll always have someone asking for more slots, I think that 8 is a nice number because it leaves us with more options and less tough choices.

Of course not. I meant those in the case of "good/enjoyable/fun for the majority of people." I speak based not just on personal opinion but based on life experience on this exact issue with a broad player base in various different games.
So you're saying that your experience tells you that 7 is better than 8? blink.gif

As for the decreased challenge in egg slot management and how it affects enjoyment of the game? I think it's just another matter of balance that definitely needs to be considered and discussed. Is that aspect of gameplay very important to Dragon Cave? Is it meant to be difficult? Challenge is fun, and while self imposed difficulty can also be a blast it's nice if the base game itself offers a decent challenge. This is definitely true of hunting, but if egg slot management is also supposed to be difficult this change would adversely affect that.
I'd say that the management of scroll limits has always been an issue and an intended feature of the game. We just can't go there and grab 100 eggs. We can't even grab & abandon them. There's a limit to abandoning cave eggs (5 hour wait). So I guess it's safe to say that scroll management is important to DC.

However, I doubt it's supposed to be that difficult. It has never been really difficult. Because the difficulty in DC lies in a very different area: Getting what you want. Be it 2nd gen prizes, CB metals or that elusive GoN. Lots of hollies or other holiday dragons, an army of your favorite (common) breed or that 10th gen even gen PB bred from your own scroll - with or without inbreeding. Breeding that perfect checker (or whatnot), ideally with something like nebula x gold. xd.png That's where DC's most important challenge lies, not in how you manage your slots. Scroll management is more like a byplay. Like that game of chance at the end of those levels in Super Mario Land for that good, old Game Boy.

I would NOT like to see the only way to get an 8th slot being to get a platinum trophy. I would MUCH rather see those people who only want to collect - say - two of each and then breed (which is slow) have the chance to benefit from this without having to collect loads of dragons they don't want just to get another slot.

Other playstyles than those that require massive scrolls should also be rewarded. Those players are as active as those of us who have - quite a lot smile.gif

I'll not go into detail about all those fears that one additional slot would make hunting rares harder, but: what makes you assume TJ would not increase the amount of eggs dropped or bred when this happens? He pretty much does this already, the more people are in cave, the more eggs get created at the hour.

YESYESYESYESYES

It really REALLY bugs me that I can't get 8 eggs sometimes. It's the perfect number for a medium sized lineage, and I can't get a nice even number from releases.

8 EGG SLOTS WOULD BE AMAZING