TJ09

ANSWERED:Time-based egg slot

There's two components here:

1. An alternate way to get more egg slots without trophies (by being active for a period of time).

2. An increase in the maximum egg slot count (7 -> 8).

Either, neither, or both could happen.

As I've said earlier in the thread, I'm generally against adding more slots.

However, it seems like a good percentage of commenters want an even number of egg slots (or a power of 2 for egg slots *winks at Fi*) and, as I said earlier, this is the first higher-limits thread that that I've found to be acceptable, especially if 8/24 can be agreed upon as a permanent upper limit. If this is to happen, perhaps consider the following possible addenda to the idea:

1) A more stringent requirement for "being active" than logging in once every two months. Large-scroll players worked hard specifically for those egg slots, small-scroll players should be expected to do a little more than log in six times total to get the additional slot.

2) There is an imbalance of "you can get all four additional egg slots for time reasons, but only three for collecting reasons." I think that it would be more fair and easier to explain if you can get the fourth trophy-equivalent either way, although perhaps the fourth trophy should be at an insane number of dragons, so in practice pretty much everyone would get their 1 year cake before their fourth (platinum?) trophy. (Also, this lets us large-scroll hoarder types have another milestone to aim for, even if it has no mechanical difference.)

3) Or, perhaps, the 5th-7th/8th times you got a cake/trophy, you get the extra kills/freezes/whatever that someone above desired - not more slots but something beneficial to some play styles.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about these possible addenda myself - I'm in favor of 1 and could be persuaded either way on 2 and 3 - but I'll throw them out there anyway.

Edit: just clarified confusing wording.

Edited by Lavinia

I absolutely LOVE this idea!

When I collect the new releases, or any other kind of egg, I usually like to influence them equal number of male to female. This would be great!

1) A more stringent requirement for "being active" than logging in once every two months.  Large-scroll players worked hard specifically for those egg slots, small-scroll players should be expected to do a little more than log in six times total to get the additional slot.

2) There is an imbalance of "you can get all four additional egg slots for time reasons, but only three for collecting reasons."  I think that it would be more fair and easier to explain if you can get the fourth trophy-equivalent either way, although perhaps the fourth trophy should be at an insane number of dragons, so in practice pretty much everyone would get their 1 year cake before their fourth (platinum?) trophy.  (Also, this lets us large-scroll hoarder types have another milestone to aim for, even if it has no mechanical difference.)

3) Or, perhaps, the 5th-7th/8th times you got a cake/trophy, you get the extra kills/freezes/whatever that someone above desired - not more slots but something beneficial to some play styles.

I am doing my best to understand your addenda but they seem to just add more coding efforts without any advantage for the players. Would you mind explaining the pros from the community point of view?

Please note that, from my own point of view, TJ is gifting everybody a chance to have an additional slot so I'm puzzled by restrictions on that gift.

I think that 1) isn't that much of a stretch, really. If I created a scroll 4 years ago and only logged in again today, I'd get the plus 4 egg slots for "playing" for 4 years. Which seems a bit wrong. (But, knowing how TJ runs the site, he has probably already thought of that.)

2) Doesn't bother me overly much, to be frank. As much as I'd love more trophies - either with or without an increase in the scroll limits - I don't mind being able to get a maximum of +4/+12 slots for time reasons, but only +3/+9 for trophies. After all, being here for a year is some kind of milestone, and if you want the next (platinum?) trophy only for insane amounts of dragons (5000? 10k?), you wouldn't be able to get them within a year anyway - unless you trade countless CB golds for 50 ER hatchlings each.

3) Doesn't really look like it has anything to do with this suggestion. I'm not against upping freezing limits for higher trophies, it just doesn't seem to belong in this discussion.

I think that 1) isn't that much of a stretch, really. If I created a scroll 4 years ago and only logged in again today, I'd get the plus 4 egg slots for "playing" for 4 years. Which seems a bit wrong. (But, knowing how TJ runs the site, he has probably already thought of that.)

Actually, IMHO, it is a stretch. Without whatsoever insight on TJ's thinking process, his suggestion is pretty straightforward. Only two variables are needed: the date when the member joined (and is easy to assume it is in the database) and how many dragons are in the scroll. The "more stringent requirements" require at minimum the log-in history. Plus, isn't clear at all how many log-ins would be "required" etc. And why would be advantageous for the community to stop people from having those additional slots??? It is not as like anybody is doing anything more to achieve them. It would be a gift from TJ. So why should be the gift limited to a specific pool???

Actually, IMHO, it is a stretch. Without whatsoever insight on TJ's thinking process, his suggestion is pretty straightforward. Only two variables are needed: the date when the member joined (and is easy to assume it is in the database) and how many dragons are in the scroll. The "more stringent requirements" require at minimum the log-in history. Plus, isn't clear at all how many log-ins would be "required" etc. And why would be advantageous for the community to stop people from having those additional slots??? It is not as like anybody is doing anything more to achieve them. It would be a gift from TJ. So why should be the gift limited to a specific pool???

Because 1) it would make it easier for multiscrollers to abuse and 2) it doesn't then reward active players. This is, presumably, a feature meant to encourage players to stick around and play the game. Rewarding someone who made an account, wandered away for four years, and then came back doesn't really achieve that purpose. People who aren't active shouldn't get perks for being active. ;;

I mean, I'd not be horrified if it was just one year period no questions asked, but if it'd be easy to implement an activity check I think that would be better.

Because 1) it would make it easier for multiscrollers to abuse and 2) it doesn't then reward active players. This is, presumably, a feature meant to encourage players to stick around and play the game. Rewarding someone who made an account, wandered away for four years, and then came back doesn't really achieve that purpose. People who aren't active shouldn't get perks for being active. ;;

I mean, I'd not be horrified if it was just one year period no questions asked, but if it'd be easy to implement an activity check I think that would be better.

1) I doubt. A multi-scroller gains 4/12 slots just by creating an account. Why would he/she bother keeping accounts active just for 1/3 additional slots?

2) No idea about TJ's opinions but I'm pretty sure he thought about that before suggesting.

What concerns me is that, if players insist on making this more complicated than it should be, the whole suggestion could be preempted.

Furthermore, what would be the requirements? How many times should people log on? What type of activity? Collectors stay logged for hours just waiting for an egg in the cave or AP. Many players never ever log off. I can't figure out an way to make those activity requirements reasonable.

So far, I saw suggestions stating that the gift should not be given to everybody. Would like to know the suggested criteria to get the gift.

Edited by _Sin_

1) I doubt. A multi-scroller gains 4/12 slots just by creating an account. Why would he/she bother keeping accounts active just for 1/3 additional slots?

2) No idea about TJ's opinions but I'm pretty sure he thought about that before suggesting.

What concerns me is that, if players insist on making this more complicated than it should be, the whole suggestion could be preempted.

Furthermore, what would be the requirements? How many times should people log on? What type of activity? Collectors stay logged for hours just waiting for an egg in the cave or AP. Many players never ever log off. I can't figure out an way to make those activity requirements reasonable.

So far, I saw suggestions stating that the gift should not be given to everybody. Would like to know the suggested criteria to get the gift.

1) They wouldn't need to keep them active in your version--that's the thing. Their extra accounts would just slowly gain more spots over time. Sure, not many, but it would be one small perk for them.

2) Maybe! We'll find out eventually one way or the other.

I don't think it's too complicated. Inactive scrolls lost their names after a set period of time before, while any action would mark a scroll as active and keep them. So the stuff should already be mostly there. I think one action a week would be fine, or maybe even just once a month.

Many players never ever log off.

That would be me. If time spent logged in was the criteria I have it made. If it was number of times logging in though I would never get the extra slot. What is tracked and what isn't? We don't know. Date the account was created is most likely already recorded. That seems simple to use as a criteria.

For my opinion, I don't see any reason to limit the extra slots by some arbitrary activity check. I think the mere fact that you've owned an account for however long is sufficient. The idea behind this is an alternate way to earn egg slots for those who choose to be selective in what they collect. Why should we discriminate against those who left the game for a time but returned? They returned. Maybe the changes to the game and the added slots will be encouraging enough that they won't leave again. That would be a good thing.

As for multi-scrollers, I don't think this is enough of an advantage to them to deny the rest of us just because they might cheat even more. They already have unlimited slots due to cheating. Having unlimited slots + 1 isn't really a concern. Plus, eventually they'll make some kind of mistake and get caught and TJ will burn their multi-scroll cheatiness.

I have to agree that simple would be best, here. I log out of DragonCave maybe once every 6 months, so log-ins wouldn't work. The easiest way to track this is probably just "every action counts".

That would be me. If time spent logged in was the criteria I have it made. If it was number of times logging in though I would never get the extra slot. What is tracked and what isn't? We don't know. Date the account was created is most likely already recorded. That seems simple to use as a criteria.

For my opinion, I don't see any reason to limit the extra slots by some arbitrary activity check. I think the mere fact that you've owned an account for however long is sufficient. The idea behind this is an alternate way to earn egg slots for those who choose to be selective in what they collect. Why should we discriminate against those who left the game for a time but returned? They returned. Maybe the changes to the game and the added slots will be encouraging enough that they won't leave again. That would be a good thing.

As for multi-scrollers, I don't think this is enough of an advantage to them to deny the rest of us just because they might cheat even more. They already have unlimited slots due to cheating. Having unlimited slots + 1 isn't really a concern. Plus, eventually they'll make some kind of mistake and get caught and TJ will burn their multi-scroll cheatiness.

This ^^ :-)

Was going to say much the same thing, but you beat me to it, and probably said it better.

There's two components here:

1. An alternate way to get more egg slots without trophies (by being active for a period of time).

2. An increase in the maximum egg slot count (7 -> 8).

Either, neither, or both could happen.

So it could be that everyone stays at 7 max, but people without trophies can get 7 eventually.

Or it could be 8 max, and people with trophies get 7, then 1 for being here 1+ years, and people without trophies have to be here 4+ years to get 8).

I support this idea wholeheartedly, preferably the "both" option, although It'll be nearly a year before I personally see any benefit from it one way or another.

This; I only ever log in when I am changing machines for some reason (as in travelling or visiting) and when switching browsers. I can see not giving a slot automatically to someone who signed up 5 years ago, raised four dragons and hasn't been back since. But the inactive scroll thing used to work for removing names - I don't know how TJ did it, but I think an "every action counts" would work.

@ nine: NO nine isn't better in spite of your name ! 8 gives the base for a lineage after a new release. 9 is even more frustrating than 7 that way !! xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

I don't log-out either.

I'm online every day x) Just with another timezone.

Would that count, too?

I totally agree to loyality bonus biggrin.gif This sounds great.

Maybe it would even convince the inactive players to "return".

I guess you people do have a point. So, simple is best. No activity check, just the time of membership counts. I can live with that. wink.gif

I guess you people do have a point. So, simple is best. No activity check, just the time of membership counts. I can live with that. wink.gif

Oh I'd say ACTIVITY counts. If you've been logged in for 10 years and done exactly nothing.... I'm sure TJ can cope with that - I'm willing to bet that some of those players who lost their names had never logged out....

Oh, he does. Being logged in isn't the only thing that's being checked, but also the fact that you need to click on your dragons page every once in a while. At least that's the way the Tree Decorating Contest and the Wreath Decorating worked. Still, it might (or might not) take too much of the site's ressources, or coding time or whatever.

Besides, if people weren't active and are now - it doesn't really hurt most of us. Only our sense of fairness.

Oh, he does. Being logged in isn't the only thing that's being checked, but also the fact that you need to click on your dragons page every once in a while. At least that's the way the Tree Decorating Contest and the Wreath Decorating worked. Still, it might (or might not) take too much of the site's ressources, or coding time or whatever.

Besides, if people weren't active and are now - it doesn't really hurt most of us. Only our sense of fairness.

I can't get overly excited if someone who has bred one dragon in the last three years gets an extra slot myself xd.png But if they ARE active now - I have no quarrel at all with it. (I do recall once that Sock pointed out that a mate of hers was homeless and without internet for 18 months. These things CAN happen !)

Maybe Activity can be checked with:

- clicking dragons (when I'm scroll-locked, I often use name action)

- surfing and checking AP and Cave while being logged in (I often click AP eggs or check, even when being scroll-locked)

- breeding your own dragons

There should definitely be a way. After all, you can't do much, aside from naming, doing some BSAs, when you're scroll-locked.

Edited by Aurora-Silver

Yes, but you're usually not scroll-locked for more than a week straight. xd.png

Scroll locked is when I take the time to breed my golds/silvers/shimmers/tinsels/ect because I know that they'll find their way to good homes via the AP so I honestly would very much appreciate having an extra slot for when hunting/breeding purposes.smile.gif Not sure just how long I've been collecting my little pretties for EXACTLY but I know that I'm totally hooked and stalk the biomes/forums nightly.*worships the Almighty TJ and gets the brain churning away on name ideas for whenever the next new release happens*

Yes, but you're usually not scroll-locked for more than a week straight. xd.png

If you are scroll locked you did something to get that way - caught, bred. So you have been active. No problem there !

No. But Aurora-Silver said that there wasn't anything to do when you're scroll locked. However, you're never locked for more than a week straight without doing something to stay locked. So, being locked all the time means that you are active. smile.gif

fuzzy if an inactive account gets a slot upgrade after 4 years it will not affect us at all, we won`t know it, we won`t feel it.

And as for TJ`s suggestion i don`t care if we get a new slot or not, but i would rather not have it cause there is something magical in #7, and it makes things more interesting for me.