Shadlok

Lineage view change

Do you like this  

380 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow, I have never seen a lineage that large in all the time I have been here,

nor one that tiny!

What happened to the good old normal from a year ago? Moderation in all

things is a good for all please!

I still think he may be working on stuff and not ready to comment. He did already change the spiral and stairstep views.

But the only change he made to the Stairstep, Spiral, and Arrow lineage was the placement of the names.

The dragon icons in those lineages is still infinitesimally small. sad.gif

Take a look at the first eight generations of this Tinsel Arrow! Look at how tiny the icons are in those first eight generations.

Those extremely tiny icons ruin the look of that Stairstep Arrow.

smile.gif 

user posted image

That is TOO funny. It's got to go in my signature, at least for a little while. xd.png

Support the cause... with humor!

Edited by LibbyLishly

But the only change he made to the Stairstep, Spiral, and Arrow lineage was the placement of the names.

The dragon icons in those lineages is still infinitesimally small. sad.gif

Take a look at the first eight generations of this Tinsel Arrow! Look at how tiny the icons are in those first eight generations.

Those extremely tiny icons ruin the look of that Stairstep Arrow.

Those always went smaller, and that was never an issue.

They were graduated in size, and the smallest were NOT as small as they are now.

I guess I can always claim age-related dementia, but I don't remember

having the first 8 gens smaller like that. And certainly didn't have

to use Zoom even with my bifocals on to see these little icons like lately.

I do understand wanting to get more people's views on this subject,

rather than just a small group venting. Perhaps the banner will get

people to come here...

Edited by grammydragon

Sorry you took it that way. I was trying to be humorous, not mean.

If you want to make a serious banner instead of the cat one then by all means go ahead. It's highly unlikely that a banner will actually catch TJ's attention or make your voice heard more than it already has been (has there ever been a lobbying banner on here that actually had an effect? Honest question, I can't think of one.) But there's no harm in your trying!

I can remember a few times when there have A. been banners about an issue and B. changes were eventually made. However, I didn't get the impression that the one led to the other. And I used to have a banner linking the suggested teleport system to the movie The Fly, and that didn't seem to work, either.

Still, the cat banner's going to make me smile every time I see it, so it's already being productive, and I don't think a more specific banner about the topic would hurt, provided the point of it was to draw more people to the conversation, which is a much more likely goal than changing TJ's mind with it.

How about a "Preserve DC's Lineage Heritage" banner?

The cat one is cute, xd.png but maybe an alternative with a slogan that speaks of the issue.

Alternatives:

"Undo the Lineage View"

"Save DC's Lineage Views"

What does everyone think?

Any alternative wording ideas? smile.gif

I can't think of a catchy slogan. xd.png

missy

Edited by missy_

Indeed (and I think when the line got long enough they DID get that tiny...)

They did. I have a lineage that I took from a screenshot in 2012 and I just compared the size of the lower gens and they are still the same size. Not the same size as the even gens, but they are the same size as the straisteps go.

missy_, I cannot think of anything, but I will give it thought.

*sits in the small camp of people who actually like this change* I think it's neat looking. x3

I'm not adverse to change. I adore the new AP. I love that rare x rare is now possible' even though I was a collecter of rare x rare glitch lineages which are no longer the novelty they were. I admit I had to get used to the new golds and while I adore the new pink sprites and always have I miss the old pinks. They always remind me of an old fashioned school marm and I imagine them in spectacles and lace collers.

I'm not adverse to change. But this destroys a whole section of the game. Even gens that have taken years to build are now worthless in the eyes of their creator. If the lineage view has to change can it not change to something that will preserve the integrity of the lineage patterns?

And why are we not deserving of the common courtesy of a reply? This is not a rant thread. For the most part people have been polite. Opposite views have been treated respectfully.

I think the thing that has upset me most about all this is that TJ could be working on a fix right now. Something really involved that is going to take weeks to finish. Or he could be finished with it all and not about to change anything. But I don't know. Because a simple one line response is to much to expect apparently.

Still not hating it. I like how this 6th gen looks, and I am going to continue the lineage when I find the time.

Though there's some room for improvements, since 5th gens look a bit strange, for example this one.

But what disturbs me in this lineage is the abrupt change in size between cb and 2nd gen - the 4 latest generations have the same size, and the one before that is much smaller. I think a more gradual change would look better in this case, as in the 6th gen example where there are two columns with smaller icons. Having just one column with smaller icons is the thing that looks a bit disturbing to me.

Don't care too much about the placement of names.

Edit: typo

Edited by Ha-Ki

In case anyone wants this one:

user posted image

link = http://oi43.tinypic.com/2nlak51.jpg

Thank you for this.

Wiz, I completely agree with you. What is bugging me now is not the fact that it has changed, I can deal with it if it has, not that I'll like it, but I'll deal with it. However, I dislike that we haven't even been told if this is going to be changed at all.

I think TJ believes that if he leaves it long enough, people will get used to it. Perhaps they will, but I am certain there will always be a group of people on the site who will fight for the lineage view that they like. This isn't like the other changes, such as teleports, which are entirely optional to use. This is something that drastically has effect upon the gamestyle of a large group of people, and though more people are getting used to it, the poll still shows a vast majority dislike the change.

I think the thing that has upset me most about all this is that TJ could be working on a fix right now. Something really involved that is going to take weeks to finish. Or he could be finished with it all and not about to change anything. But I don't know. Because a simple one line response is to much to expect apparently.

Yes, this.

Isn't there any appropriate channel to ask questions from the administration and get replies? It seems as though this thread, news threads, question threads, PMs to TJ or other admins, etc. all fall on deaf ears. I really don't appreciate the feeling of "it's a free game, so you'd darn well better enjoy what you get and not ask any questions or expect any answers."

What is a reasonable amount of time to make your players wait for information? Is it fair NEVER to reply? It certainly doesn't make me feel respected or appreciated. It also diminishes my respect for those in charge, as it strikes me as unprofessional and inconsiderate.

Edited by Kelkelen

smile.gif 

user posted image

That sig banner is beyond awesomeness. Sorry Breeding Gifting, you just got bumped on my sig space. Even if the issue is fixed tomorrow, you are gonna be sitting in my sig for a bit. Thanks for the Totally Beyond graphic!

ETA: Sock, thanks for your response. If someone was willing to say, Hey thats just how the lineages are going to be for awhile for a reason we choose not to disclose - I think a lot of people would be willing to move beyond their dislike and learn to live with it. Its the point that there has been no response that is bugging people. People can learn to adjust if they realize its a fix for some reason or a choice the admin made vs "a temp bug or something we are trying to change but we will just leave you in limbo guessing hahahahaha" <--- Not to infer people are laughing, but thats just the way it feels even when its not the case.

Edited by natayah

tbh, after comparing screenshots, I have to ask if I'm really the only one who prefers this new lineage view over the old.

Edit: nevermind I can't read

Point stands.

Edited by Kiryu

I kinda sorta like it now, but while I never saw the old view except via screenies, I still want the old view.

ETA: Sock, thanks for your response. If someone was willing to say, Hey thats just how the lineages are going to be for awhile for a reason we choose not to disclose - I think a lot of people would be willing to move beyond their dislike and learn to live with it. Its the point that there has been no response that is bugging people. People can learn to adjust if they realize its a fix for some reason or a choice the admin made vs "a temp bug or something we are trying to change but we will just leave you in limbo guessing hahahahaha" <--- Not to infer people are laughing, but thats just the way it feels even when its not the case.

TJ's been really busy with life right now, and I know lots of times he doesn't like to reply to things because:

1) He may still be thinking about it or gathering opinions on it by reading the forum

2) When he says things, it tends to get taken as word of law, so he doesn't like to say a lot and have people take something wrong.

However, he's been nicely responsive to my PMs of late. I will see if he can't shed a little light on the change for me. ^^

I like it! It looks neat and tidy. It is a lot easier to view and see the beautiful lineages. Before you had to scroll around and it was hard to see if you had something over 4th or 5th gen. Maybe it was just my screen but I really like how it looks now.

I still don't know if I love it or hate it. There are some really beautiful lineages but most of them look strange to me with this new view.

I like the new look. The old one wasn't bad, but I felt that longer lineages were difficult to view. This version feels much more condensed and organized. I love how even gens look.