Shadlok

Lineage view change

Do you like this  

380 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honestly, I didn't even notice. Now that I've spotted this thread I can see that my lineages had changed, and now that they are back I'm not sure which I liked better.

back? not on my scroll....raised my hopes there, I'm so disappointed!

Is it just me or did messy lineages unsquash?

Even-gens are still looking compressed to me, but I just opened this lovely mess and it looked shrunk for a moment and then expanded back out a moment later.

Edit: Nevermind, I think it was a cache hiccup.

Edited by Troubletail

Is it just me or did messy lineages unsquash?

Even-gens are still looking compressed to me, but I just opened this lovely mess and it looked shrunk for a moment and then expanded back out a moment later.

Weird, some of the portraits also look extra tiny. Have they always been that way?

Hello, guys. I have been reading everyone's comments, and the debate does seem interesting.

However, I have sent TJ a message, asking him if could comment in this thread, and let us hope that he does. c:

While I'm not feeling a reaction of vehement despisement (not a word) like some of the rest of you, I feel for you. I guess I could get used to the change, but first impressions for my part are significantly less than positive.

I love breeding even-gens, have a ton, and this just feels off to me - as it apparently does for the majority of voices in this thread. If it comes to a vote or popular opinion, I'll throw my lot in with the "Change it back, please" crowd.

EDIT: Wanted to mention that I do the majority of my DC work on a tiny netbook screen and I've never had an issue with the way it used to be.

Edited by LibbyLishly

I am definitely not fond of the way he has changed the view. I am a huge fan of beautifully checkered lineages, and the first gen being this way throws off the beauty of it for me. I'm pretty upset about it. I hope TJ sees the majority view on this issue.

Hello, guys. I have been reading everyone's comments, and the debate does seem interesting.

However, I have sent TJ a message, asking him if could comment in this thread, and let us hope that he does. c:

Thank you, Angel. I would really like to know the 'why' behind this. Fingers crossed!

I don't really care what the boxes look like as long as the boxes are the "same" across the board. Otherwise, there is no point in having a lineage view page since we can't display "lineage art". Might as well just get rid of the extra server load and just have it with names and links like a family tree or progency chart (again, without graphics).

I'm sure there is a reason it was done, and I appreciate that TJ thought enough to actually try something to make things better. But I would like a response so we can find out what caused the change and what the potential ETA of a change to the change (or undoing of change) since it impacts the play style and play-ability of everyone who plays this game for "pretty lineages."

I just noticed the change when I clicked on someone's long lineage to view it. I'm not sure about it yet or not. I like how I can see all my dragons without scrolling from side to side for my 9th gen guardian: http://dragcave.net/lineage/iCwXH. I don't think it looks too bad for this checker.

Maybe it's just one of those things that will take a little time for me to get used to? I don't hate it but, well, it *is* a change and you know how people feel about change. smile.gif

I wouldn't mind an option to have the dragon names disappear in lineage view but it is what it is.

It's awful.

Ugh, it makes my favorite even-gen project I had a color pattern going for look horribly wonky. I don't even like it in my newest PB even-gen project, but at least it doesn't make my skin crawl like the other one.

(All that time I wouldn't have spent if I'd known this would happen...)

I don't see any point in making longer even-gens, arrows, and the like anymore. The only good thing about this is that, since I'll be collecting fewer dragons, I'll be spending less time on here, now.

I like how I can see all my dragons without scrolling from side to side for my 9th gen guardian: http://dragcave.net/lineage/iCwXH.

Hasn't the change actually made the horizontal size of the lineages slightly larger?

(All that time I wouldn't have spent if I'd known this would happen...)

Ugh, same here. When I joined Dragon Cave, I wished I had found it sooner, now I'm just glad I haven't sunk more time into lineage building.

A huge thank you for this! It seems like lots of people are anxious to hear if this will at least be made optional.

Edited by Sycamore

I am amazed to return here and see this still being discussed.

Is TJ not listening? :/

With a clear majority that disapproves?

Also: though we have been discussing even gens, Stairsteps are not really fixed. See the first gen and how tiny the jpgs are. Especially worthless for prize dragons and for spriter's alts. They look dreadful. Just fixing the names does not fix how tiny the dragons are. rolleyes.gif

Please return the original lineage view. unsure.gif

Hasn't the change actually made the horizontal size of the lineages slightly larger?

For this lineage, surprisingly, no. Because the icons of the dragons themselves were bigger and the font of the text was a little larger, I had to scroll side to side a bit to see the whole thing. Boy, it's going to be a bit annoying when I get out to 10th gen. >.> (I'm still working on the project)

Weird, some of the portraits also look extra tiny.  Have they always been that way?

Check out the size of the Silvers in that messy lineage.

What was the point of that debate about changing or not changing the Silver sprite -- and all those comments to the artists -- if the Silvers are going to be this tiny?

TJ has read the message that I sent concerning him posting in this thread. smile.gif

I was going to do an even 6th gen lineage for a group project but I might not if you can't see the dragons in the CB generation.

Please change this back to the way it was.

Check out the size of the Silvers in that messy lineage.

What was the point of that debate about changing or not changing the Silver sprite -- and all those comments to the artists -- if the Silvers are going to be this tiny?

It's not just the silvers.

Seems that after the 4th generation, they all start getting smaller - It's really easy to see in the PB Guardian lineage posted.

Which means NONE of the even-gen lineages will be EVEN anymore sad.gif

Just looked at a few others, and yeah, it's horrible. Kind of like comparing cockroaches to ants, size-wise.

Edited by daba555

I THINK they always did get smaller, just not this small, and not with the names to the right.

And even with tiny images, glitzing the silvers would have made them look different; colour does still show (to my eyes anyway.)

I still don't hate it - sorry. And those Guardians look great. But things do get discussed here for AGES and AGES. Always xd.png.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I don't hate it either, but I don't think "some users don't hate it" is a real ringing endorsement. :-)

I just can't understand why TJ doesn't make more of these interface issues optional! He has complained more than once how change-averse this community is, and that's true, but in large part, it's coming from the top. When people know that changes are likely to happen abruptly and change the scroll they've been working on without their input and with nothing they can do about it, well, small wonder they just preemptively object to all changes. If people believed that most interface changes would be something they could eventually opt out of if they really kept hating it, then there'd be a lot less table-flipping every time TJ tried something new.

Edited by tjekan

@fuzzbucket: I can confirm that. There were at least two sprite sizes in lineage views even before this change. There might have been more, but if so, I wasn't attentive enough to notice them without a doubt.

I don't hate it either, but I don't think "some users don't hate it" is a real ringing endorsement. :-)

I just can't understand why TJ doesn't make more of these interface issues optional! He has complained more than once how change-averse this community is, and that's true, but in large part, it's coming from the top. When people know that changes are likely to happen abruptly and change the scroll they've been working on without their input and with nothing they can do about it, well, small wonder they just preemptively object to all changes. If people believed that most interface changes would be something they could eventually opt out of if they really kept hating it, then there'd be a lot less table-flipping every time TJ tried something new.

Agreed.

I don't just not-hate-it, I love it, but I'm fairly sure I'm indeed the minority in this (even factoring in that discussions like these usually have more dissent than approval in them). Making this optional or reversing the change sounds like the best way to go about it. smile.gif

Well, last time I said I liked it (which I do, actually) someone I like a lot said I was lying xd.png (they were kidding, but I thought I'd be more circumspect this time !!!)

Still not liking it. I had to breed an egg for the Epic lineage and looking at the lineage page just made me cringe. There is just no way I would've bred it the way things stand if not for the commitment I made. I do like the idea of making the changes optional. I certainly don't mind how others want to view the EG lineages I put together but I want to be able to view them the way they were created to be viewed. That way perhaps I can bear to go past 4th gen again.

So this is a permanent, intentional change then?

Oh well, still not liking it, but I'm not going to start a rage war or anything about it. I'll keep on with my projects, even tho, as a breeder, this affects me particularly more than it would affect CB hunters and traders.

I wonder tho.

The dead dragons lineage thingy was changed after a heavy complain from some users who didn't want the death of a dragon affecting their lineages.

Who asked for this? Why was this done? Was there any debate or complain about changing the way lineages were viewed and I didn't hear about it?

If there wasn't, I don't get it why it was done.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

I'm not a fan of it...but it's not rage inducing to me.

I don't know how to not sound negative so I just won't say anything at all. But I do want to point out a business money aspect here:

I normally use the new breed release time to remind myself I haven't renewed my monthly subscription (I like to support what I use and I like not having banner ads). I won't be. I just can't support a game that just put obliterated (and I don't mean this with malice, I do believe it was unintentional) my primary play style.

Pretty boxes making a nice shape may sound dumb, but hey, I originally picked up this game because it was a good way to blow time on long bus rides on a mobile phone. I'm happy to resume my support once I can resume my gameplay.