Shadlok

Lineage view change

Do you like this  

380 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TJ's been really busy with life right now, and I know lots of times he doesn't like to reply to things because:

1) He may still be thinking about it or gathering opinions on it by reading the forum

2) When he says things, it tends to get taken as word of law, so he doesn't like to say a lot and have people take something wrong.

However, he's been nicely responsive to my PMs of late. I will see if he can't shed a little light on the change for me. ^^

Thanks for this, Sock! I know what it's like to be super busy with real life. smile.gif We look forward to hearing what you may find out from the Grand Pooh-bah.

Edited by LibbyLishly

TJ's been really busy with life right now, and I know lots of times he doesn't like to reply to things because:

1) He may still be thinking about it or gathering opinions on it by reading the forum

2) When he says things, it tends to get taken as word of law, so he doesn't like to say a lot and have people take something wrong.

However, he's been nicely responsive to my PMs of late. I will see if he can't shed a little light on the change for me. ^^

Thank you very much for this information, Socks. smile.gif

Thanks -- definitely appreciated! smile.gif

Thanks for the information. smile.gif I hope the real life things that keep him busy are good things!

I wasn't going to post anymore here, but have to agree:

you rock, Sock.

:c Okay, so take this egg.

Lineage link.

This is a 5th-gen that I've been planning, trading for, getting a few gifts for, really anticipating because it's got every single CB Prize color blocked by color. I had planned it out by editing screenshots of 5th-gen lineages in the old view, before this was a thing. And it really loses a lot of the focus on the CB gen with this view, you can really easily miss the CB silver Shimmer.

I can... survive this change, but I'd really rather it be optional (I won't use this new view), or reverted.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

:c Okay, so take this egg.

Lineage link.

This is a 5th-gen that I've been planning, trading for, getting a few gifts for, really anticipating because it's got every single CB Prize color blocked by color. I had planned it out by editing screenshots of 5th-gen lineages in the old view, before this was a thing. And it really loses a lot of the focus on the CB gen with this view, you can really easily miss the CB silver Shimmer.

I can... survive this change, but I'd really rather it be optional (I won't use it), or reverted.

1) heart attack

2) i need this so much

3) it would be better with the old view.

4) goes off to pm TCA

I'm joining the ranks of the loathers of this and hope it gets changed back ASAP.

TCA, my lord that's gorgeous!! *ENVYENVYENVY*

Still no word I see, still the same. I really wish we would here something about this.

Still no word I see, still the same. I really wish we would here something about this.

Even the mods can't get hold of TJ 24/7, remember. I'm confident that Sock will come back with something as soon as she can. smile.gif

And don't forget Sock is busy in RL too. She has said she will find out what she can. Sock is good people, give her time.

You know, I don't have a problem with the current view staying as is and then adding a special link with a delay or different url variation to see the "old view ". While there are plenty of pattern based breeders, there is probably a larger amount who could care less.

If this saves or better manages resources on any level, I am totally cool with an alternative way to view old view vs an option toggle. Cause lets be real, not everyone who plays uses the forums. Many don't care about lineages at all. So if it really doesn't have any impact on some people, why give them an option to even toggle.

If its a resource issue, I'd rather have have an alternative someone must knowingly invoke vs. A Toggle option as ... people could just be lazy and use the preference that is more resource intensive without a need. However, if you breed even gens there is a potentially critical need for it.

Again, if this has nothing to do with resource feel free to ignore.

Edited by natayah

Perhaps it may not even be a toggle switch?

Perhaps it might be easier if it is something we do manually.

Something such as http://dragcave.net/lineage/o/

The o standing for original? With the o, it will display in the old format, without it, in the current format?

Even the mods can't get hold of TJ 24/7, remember. I'm confident that Sock will come back with something as soon as she can. smile.gif

Yes I know that, just doing what everyone else is. Stating my opinion. Plus this was back on page two and I don't want to let this topic just fade.

Perhaps it may not even be a toggle switch?

Perhaps it might be easier if it is something we do manually.

Something such as http://dragcave.net/lineage/o/

The o standing for original? With the o, it will display in the old format, without it, in the current format?

Any opinions on this? Do people like this idea?

I'd rather it toggle than having to manually type in something every time I want to see my lineages the way they're intended to look.

I threw out my various alternate views in the event there is a resource management issue behind the change. But that is based on speculation. If it is an issue, we should be prepared to offer ideas that work with that. If its not a resource management issue, it may be a moot. I think throwing out idea until we hear something concrete is fine, but analyzing their value has to wait until we know the story.

It's nice of Sock to try and cover. If it had been three hours (or maybe even three days) since the change 'being busy' would be totally valid, but it's been three weeks without the courtesy of a sentence or two. That's a major life crisis level of 'busy'. sad.gif

It's nice of Sock to try and cover. If it had been three hours (or maybe even three days) since the change 'being busy' would be totally valid, but it's been three weeks without the courtesy of a sentence or two. That's a major life crisis level of 'busy'. sad.gif

He's responded to 14 other forum posts since the change. He's not 'busy' so much as he's not ready to respond to this yet. I'm hoping that means he's still working on a fix that he thinks will solve our issues and considers it inefficient to talk to us until he's finished it (this is consistent with his usual MO.) Unfortunately, it's also impossible to distinguish from being ignored, which has happened plenty of times in the past too.

I'm hoping that means he's still working on a fix that he thinks will solve our issues and considers it inefficient to talk to us until he's finished it (this is consistent with his usual MO.) Unfortunately, it's also impossible to distinguish from being ignored, which has happened plenty of times in the past too.

I really really hope you are right!

He's responded to 14 other forum posts since the change. He's not 'busy' so much as he's not ready to respond to this yet. I'm hoping that means he's still working on a fix that he thinks will solve our issues and considers it inefficient to talk to us until he's finished it (this is consistent with his usual MO.) Unfortunately, it's also impossible to distinguish from being ignored, which has happened plenty of times in the past too.

Unfortunately, due to the amount of time that has elapsed since this change took effect, I think it's B.

I'd like to believe something is being worked on, but I doubt it. I think we're stuck with this. sad.gif

Just curious...does anyone recall if there was somebody specific who complained

about the lineages the way they were? Or a thread that complained about

them asking for this type of change?

Since it appears we are being stuck with things the way they are, does anyone

know where this story started so we can find out what that person may

have had in mind as a solution?

I believe this issue is that we are now living in a omnichannel (for those who do not know this phrase, it means that people can use many ways to interact with businesses and people and you have to be able to embrace many forms of interaction: various social media, mobile/smartphone, computers, laptops, tablets, apps, various other programs and technologies as they develop, etc - which I'm sure you all do anyway) world and that TJ has to prepare this game for being accessed thru many different mediums and modes. And each of those modes are going to have different screen sizes, internet speeds, various programming interactions, etc. And in the USA, we take it for granted that most of the world doesn't have our high end desktops. Its illegal for those chipsets to leave the USA without very specific restrictions. So the rest of the world is using tablets, smartphones, or else their much further behind technology computers. Its one of the reasons why the rest of the world is so much more quickly adapting tablets and smartphones/mobile vs the USA. They have more computing power in those formats for afforadable prices compared to what it would take or cost to get a "desktop computer or laptop" that runs for what many Americans take for granted.

So he is probably working with how graphics and resources are going to be accessed and distributed and the cost benefit analysis on each with regards to ad revenue / donations garnered from each format in different locations.

I don't think anyone asked for this other than the comments mobile users have had about difficulty seeing lineages in the mobile thread. But having worked for a retailer thats been ahead of the the omnichannel embrace curve, its funny watching people fumble to catch up and losing millions and spending millions (billions too) trying to get it right.

Even on a "free" game, those things impact too. So I don't think someone complained about it. I just think if you've been watching the tech/business/whatever world develop, this becomes a necessary thing to work on. So I just assume he's trying to get a handle on how lineages are viewed across platforms without having to necessarily scroll as not everything has scrolling options.

That would be my educated guess. He could also have some project he thought would be fun and decided to do it here. But no one made a plea for change and TJ just busted out the coding moves. This is something that would have had to start being tweaked with sooner or later. And the sooner he finds the best solution, the better he secures his game player base, ranking and income from such. Even free games cost and make money. And if this game ever costs more to run than it makes, it wouldn't be around in its current format. And if it can make more, then TJ can do a lot more for us in the future with upgrades and whatever else he does to manage this little hobby.

Edited by natayah