lundfamily3

Trading Inflation

... or maybe they just don't like the specific things you are offering?

I agree with this. Trades in general are very subjective. Some people look for CB rares for example even if they don't state it directly. Some look for tinsels, metals, CB/lineaged hatchies etc. So it's usually a job and a half to find that person who's looking for exactly what you have and is willing to trade what you're looking for. wink.gif

While personally I try to make my want list as clear as possible to avoid offers I'll end up declining, I don't begrudge people who are more general or vague with their wants. Sometimes you really don't know what you want until someone offers it. rolleyes.gif

Actually, I find it rather amusing when I see people asking for ridiculous trades.

It always makes me giggle when I see people offering a single normal metal for a 2nd gen shimmer /only/.

Sadly, it doesn't ever work when I try to explain supply/demand to them (so I stopped trying).

I'll say I'm looking at everything when trading, because I actually do. Usually it's for the stuff I'd almost rather not trade anyways, however, so if someone comes along and offers something stupid (like a red hatchling for a CB silver) then it's all the more likely to be more harsh on the other offers, because that person managed to make me grumpy and angry at the fact that many people who make offers are uninformed about any kind of valuation.

But if you say you look at everything, and you have a rather complete scroll, and you don't give any kind of guideline, I'm one of those people that just might offer something you think is not worthwhile.

Mostly because I accept those types of trades when the mood strikes and I figure other people might too. I don't always base it on 'equal value'.

Sometimes I trade to give someone a shot at something nice from my scroll, or just because whatever they have strikes my fancy, and I know sometimes other people do the same.

So if you don't give any suggestions I'll offer whatever is on my scroll and see if it sticks. Have actually managed to get some nice things that way.

And I'm not at all bothered if people decline, just as log as they don't leave me hanging for days before they do it.

I'm still learning the trading thing here, but it bugs me to heck when people offer me things I did not ask for. I try to ask for a variety of things to give those without much to trade with a chance, but then I get offers from people that plainly don't read what I am asking for.

Another thing that bugs me is the 'my family has' and 'my friends and I have' type trades. Those always send up red 'possible multi scroller' flag to me. Yeah, I get there are players that can't/don't/want have forum accounts, but it seems a bit 'unfair' to gang up for trades like that....

I'm not really sure that has a whole lot to do with how much it causes the trading to fluctuate, but I do see it causing another perception that quantity over quality will win the trade. Although, I'd also argue with that simply because, again, trades are very subjective things.

It's just a lot of these things we perceive through these trades ends up being copied over to other trades which forms the trends we see. A couple of months ago, I barely saw one or two with the 'x amout of people with me have' type deal. Now I see many.

Now, on a side note. I don't tend to worry about those too hard. I understand that it's very intimidating to see a wall of CBs on the trading threads, but well. If that's what people want to trade with, then it's their right. :3 I only side-eye them when there are no scroll links or ANY links to the dragons in question. I know you don't have to, but it's nice to actually physically look at what you're trading for.

Not to mention, I have a 54 yr old mother that plays. We manage teleports to each other, but man, I can't even being to wonder how much of a journey it would be to explain BB Code or Signatures or ....augh.... My mother is on top of things, yes, but I think a forum account might overwhelm her a little bit. She stalks the news thread, but that's about it. She's never even seen a forum before this one. So, knowing that, I've offered to make trade posts for her. She's yet to ask, but if she wanted me to....I would.

Aka. It's not too bad a thing, just intimidating. tongue.gif

With trading being as difficult as it is right now, I welcome offers of things I didn't ask for. I may not want your CB White egg, but your bred egg might go well with something I do have. In either instance, I know someone who is interested in my offer. If I give up on making the trade I want, I will either accept one of those other offers, or just offer to give it to someone whose offer isn't something I want.

I took a 3rd gen bred Pink/Arsani checker + 4 CB Magmas for a 4th gen Shimmer egg, so not EVERYONE wants insane trades, even with the massive trade inflation. I am, currently, insanely happy with my Pink/Arsani and can't wait until he hatches. I just have to pray he doesn't refuse his girl! sad.gif

I'm still learning the trading thing here, but it bugs me to heck when people offer me things I did not ask for.  I try to ask for a variety of things to give those without much to trade with a chance, but then I get offers from people that plainly don't read what I am asking for.

Why be bothered by that, though? Just decline. smile.gif Some people will offer something you didn't ask for because they think what they're offering is valuable (they may of course be very misinformed, mind you) and you might like it regardless. For example (okay, not that this happens in practise, but let's run with the exaggerated hypothetical xd.png) if someone who's created an ND offered it on a link where you're not asking for one, that would not necessarily be an issue... or would it? unsure.gif (Honest question!)

Alternatively, some people may offer things they have on your trade link because they're quite certain you won't get what you're asking for and they're offering the next best thing from their perspective. I also don't take issue with stuff like that.

Sometimes, that's a good thing; but I think raindear said that well already, really. smile.gif

The only thing I'd be bothered about is if you blacklist something, i.e. you say "no eggs, I'm egglocked", or "no unbreedables", and then you get those things offered. But if you're only not listing something, I think other offers would still be fair to make. (FYI, I personally don't; you do need to have an "or other offers" clause in there before I do that, but that's me... I have very different 'acceptable Trading behaviour' criteria for myself than others.)

Why be bothered by that, though? Just decline. smile.gif Some people will offer something you didn't ask for because they think what they're offering is valuable (they may of course be very misinformed, mind you) and you might like it regardless.

I do when I am using a trade link. When I get PMs though....

For example (okay, not that this happens in practise, but let's run with the exaggerated hypothetical xd.png) if someone who's created an ND offered it on a link where you're not asking for one, that would not necessarily be an issue... or would it? unsure.gif (Honest question!)

Not a good example, in my case, as I need an ND! xd.pngwink.gif Now, if I had an ND already (hypothetically), I'd probably decline, as you can't do anything with them and I only want one in the first place for a particular scroll goal (a personal dragon patheon goal. Ramekozu, a male gold, Azuwezia, a female silver, Demonakos, a male alt black are ones I have right now. I just need one more, Zilathoga, and a female ND is perfect for her (she's the goddess of death and sickness)).

I don't like accepting rare things I already have when there are other's that don't have any. Heck, if I was offered multiple CB metals for something (like a Shimmer (no I don't have any!)), I'd likley decline, or be tempted to ask that person to gift those CBs to people that don't have any first, then come back to me.

Alternatively, some people may offer things they have on your trade link because they're quite certain you won't get what you're asking for and they're offering the next best thing from their perspective. I also don't take issue with stuff like that.

Sometimes, that's a good thing; but I think raindear said that well already, really. smile.gif

True, but, personally, I'd rather not get any offers at all in that regard. I wouldn't offer on trades I know I don't have a chance with. If I don't get what I am looking for, I'll either glomp gift, AP, or keep, usually.

The only thing I'd be bothered about is if you blacklist something, i.e. you say "no eggs, I'm egglocked", or "no unbreedables", and then you get those things offered.

I've been fortunate so far that no one has done that to me yet.

I'm really enjoying the discussions here on value of trades. smile.gif

For me, as I said, I trade primarily alts and stripes, usually PB 2Gs. I actually don't mind at all if someone offers me quantity over quality, as long as the quantity are things I need or can trade easily enough. Depending on my mood and/or what people offer within the first half hour or so of my trade being up, I might settle for whatever offer has the most of what I need, even if the value isn't quite equivalent, with equivalent being subjective. I don't generally have the time or patience to leave trades up for long, so I tend to go for the best offer I get within whatever timeframe I leave the trade up.

Back when I first started trading, I wasn't quite up to speed on what to ask for that was realistic, but I learned based on what offers I got. I'm still not entirely sure of the value of an alt black, but I got some decent offers the last time I traded one. I've found that it really depends on how much someone wants whatever I'm offering, so there are times when I'll practically give away an alt vine, and times when I feel like someone overbid (and made me very happy! laugh.gif).

Only thing I have trouble with, is keeping up with what's valuable and what is not. It fluctuates so much.

Example: Yesterday, I saw people asking CB metals for a 4th gen shimmer stair. But how long do you think that would be ok for that? A week? A month?

It's just so crazy, I never know.

Only thing I have trouble with, is keeping up with what's valuable and what is not. It fluctuates so much.

Example: Yesterday, I saw people asking CB metals for a 4th gen shimmer stair. But how long do you think that would be ok for that? A week? A month?

It's just so crazy, I never know.

I would say maybe a month at most? My 2nd gen just bred true for the second time in a row. http://dragcave.net/lineage/AGBpI (Egg is already promised please no pms on it) If they keep breeding like rabbits I think the value on anything below third gen is bound to drop here soon. ^^

Yeah, it's a paradox.

One one hand, breeding so well is good for those on lists. On the other hand, it makes the surplus go down in value in trades.

Yeah, it's a paradox.

One one hand, breeding so well is good for those on lists. On the other hand, it makes the surplus go down in value in trades.

Yep exactly like what happened with the tinsels xP Pretty soon you won't be able to trade anything below a 5th gen rolleyes.gif You'll end up giving them away like tinsels xd.png!

I wouldn't mind that much, at least I could get one then biggrin.gif Indeed my best Tinsels are 5th gen.

With tinsels, I ended up having to ap a couple after posting them on the departure board when no one took them. I think it was this one in particular if I recall correctly. http://dragcave.net/lineage/5Bb09

It's a silver x black stairstep that got broken when one generation gendered wrong. And it was/is a great tinsel. I got all my silver hatchies for freezing from it AND my first sitting black alt for freezing.

I stopped breeding them for awhile after that but then I think when the new prizes came out, people who didn't have tinsels and had maybe given up, got interested in them again. So I bred them again and got some thanks for posting them without having to ap them.

I have wondered what would happen if all the shimmer owners took a week and bred only big long messy inbred lineages. It would probably cause fits, but it would be great for those of us that want frozen hatchies eventually xd.png

Yep exactly like what happened with the tinsels xP Pretty soon you won't be able to trade anything below a 5th gen rolleyes.gif You'll end up giving them away like tinsels xd.png!

Actually I think Tinsels were never meant to be that rare. And I doubt Shimmers are any different.

People just need to realise that their supply needs to grow first.

Unless you really want like a gen 2, Tinsels aren't that hard to come by, in fact last fall, I didn't find any takers for my eggs in trades. And the only reason the Shimmers go for so much is that there are many many people who want one like NOW.

The Market Value goes up as there is high demand, and as of now low supply.

The Hollies are also an extreme example for this. Christmas 2009 there were like 120 before the first breeding round (Now don't quote me on that number but this is roughly the number I remember from TJ in the IRC) 120 on the HUGE overall population. A lot were on inactive accounts and may not have been bred too. Christmas 2012 many people actually had very good chances of obtaining one off the AP. And Teleport is one of the main reasons: before breeders gave up to 4 Codes to their waiting catchers and chances were good those Hollies made it to the intended owner. Now 1 egg can be delivered with a 100% chance while up to 3 eggs are free game.

It seems to me that at this moment, everyone wants either Shimmerscales for their CB metals or CB metals for their Shimmerscales. Nothing else. There was someone that wanted CB gold for a 7th gen bronze shimmerscale, which I think is ridiculous.

At this moment, I can't try and trade anything because of this Shimmerscale madness. Hopefully it'll stop at some point. I'm going to say it and I know that I am extremely jealous but I saw a person with about 10 Shimmers on their scroll. All different ones. What I would't give for just one, but as I said, they only want CB metals that I am completely unable to catch or trade.

It seems to me that at this moment, everyone wants either Shimmerscales for their CB metals or CB metals for their Shimmerscales. Nothing else. There was someone that wanted CB gold for a 7th gen bronze shimmerscale, which I think is ridiculous.

At this moment, I can't try and trade anything because of this Shimmerscale madness. Hopefully it'll stop at some point. I'm going to say it and I know that I am extremely jealous but I saw a person with about 10 Shimmers on their scroll. All different ones. What I would't give for just one, but as I said, they only want CB metals that I am completely unable to catch or trade.

It'll wear off, in time.

It's just that right now, everyone wants the new Shimmers, and it's been possible for people to catch CB metals, so good catchers are offering lots (saw one offering 9 CB metals, mostly hatchies, for a 2nd gen) for 2nd/3rd gens.

Have to admit, if I could, I probably would, too, lol, even though I'm getting gifted down the road, lol.

However, this drives the price way up, as, not surprisingly, most Shimmer owners are going to load up on what they can get while the getting's good - a number of them may not be fast clickers, either, and have had no or few CB metals prior to this, so this is their big chance to actually get what they need/want.

But the Shimmers are quite breeding well, apparently, and some people are gifting, so as the numbers increase and the desperation dies down, the price will begin to follow the latter trend, at least for the gens below 3rd/4th.

So with any luck, many of us will have Shimmers within... what may feel like far too long a period, lol.

This.

I have a 1CB Black+2CB Reds+1CB Nebula all hatchies and a 4gen tinsel and I don't get any offer!

And I don't asked for anything....just "offers".

It's sad, I love trades, it's fun!

Hopefully this shimmer-madness will end soon!

The game are boring now....

I can't trade or get any good eggs from AP, since my page only shows 5 days messy eggs =/ *sigh*

If you are a lineage crazy person (which I am - and there are a lot of us out there), there are some lineages that will always be more valuable to me than any CB Gold, CB Silver, ND or whatnot. Because I can always get a CB Gold, CB Silver or ND. But Its a lot harder to get certain lineages or certain offspring from certain lineages.

Just tossin that in.

If you are a lineage crazy person (which I am - and there are a lot of us out there), there are some lineages that will always be more valuable to me than any CB Gold, CB Silver, ND or whatnot. Because I can always get a CB Gold, CB Silver or ND. But Its a lot harder to get certain lineages or certain offspring from certain lineages.

Just tossin that in.

Just applauding (*is about to breed for someone in the same position* !)

I have a bronze shimmer 4th gen and am getting a silver shimmer 3rd gen this friday. I am not making lists right now. I plan to eventually pop the babies into the AP or use the departure threads in the Trades, my goal is to get as many shimmers out there, to lessen the demand and bring our trades back to normal again.

I have a bronze shimmer 4th gen and am getting a silver shimmer 3rd gen this friday. I am not making lists right now. I plan to eventually pop the babies into the AP or use the departure threads in the Trades, my goal is to get as many shimmers out there, to lessen the demand and bring our trades back to normal again.

Yet you have a link in your sig with massive lists for Shimmers you don't even own yet?

Trades will get back to normal in it's own time, with or without your heroic efforts, imo.

Edited by TheGrox

Yet you have a link in your sig with massive lists for Shimmers you don't even own yet?

Trades will get back to normal in it's own time, with or without your heroic efforts, imo.

Um, that sounds a bit snarky, Grox. I'll let you know, I didn't ask for those lists. I was presented with CB metals and IOU swaps....I couldn't say no, and neither would you.

I was talking about after I fulfilled my lists, I was gonna gift the rest. That's why I closed the lists.

Not sure why you are a bit mean to me.