lundfamily3

Trading Inflation

To give an indication of CB blusang rarity, I have caught ten times as many metals as I have seen blusangs recently.

Edited by DarkEternity

Probably more a matter of people not having lineaged hatchlings on hand atm, lots of folks still waiting on their speckles to finish growing up too. If you are looking for specific lineages you might have better luck asking for eggs.

I'm not asking for specific lineages. I'm asking for any lineage, meaning as long as the dragon has parents i don't care what the lineage looks like.

I'm glad I grabbed the blusangs while I could. I knew they were going to be uncommon, but putting that on top of having them in only one biome, having a sprite that's desirable, and putting them in the slowest moving biome I guess makes them hard to get. I think I caught extras, not sure. With any release I try to get my CBs as fast as possible, then leave them alone for other people.

I've still been trying to trade some CB hatchlings and I'm only looking for lineaged hatchlings. Are CB hatchlings not as popular anymore?

My wife has been trying to trade a 2gen PB Blusang for a couple of days with no luck. And just WHEN did 3 and 4gen Metals turn into crap-for-trade? Neither one of us can get Jack Shirt for one. It's just really demoralizing when NOTHING you offer is deemed 'worthy'. I have a 4gen Gold hatchie female that everyone turned their collective noses up at, and she has a 4gen perfect spiral - although it IS with SW's - and I don't think anyone'll even look at that one either.

She has a CB Ice hatchie that no one will look at with decent offers. I ended up with her CB Blusang that nobody would even offer on....

This really sucks.

ETA: What's the point of trying to breed something interesting - I just 'did' a Gold Tinsel arrow 6gen to effbombxEpica - wanna make book on whether I even get an offer??

Edited by Ayelldee

My wife has been trying to trade a 2gen PB Blusang for a couple of days with no luck. And just WHEN did 3 and 4gen Metals turn into crap-for-trade? Neither one of us can get Jack Shirt for one. It's just really demoralizing when NOTHING you offer is deemed 'worthy'. I have a 4gen Gold hatchie female that everyone turned their collective noses up at, and she has a 4gen perfect spiral - although it IS with SW's - and I don't think anyone'll even look at that one either.

She has a CB Ice hatchie that no one will look at with decent offers. I ended up with her CB Blusang that nobody would even offer on....

This really sucks.

ETA: What's the point of trying to breed something interesting - I just 'did' a Gold Tinsel arrow 6gen to effbombxEpica - wanna make book on whether I even get an offer??

I agree, it's very demoralizing and especially so when a 3rd gen gold can take months to breed

Yeah, blusangs have really dried up. A couple of weeks ago they were uncommon but I was still able to catch them really consistently-- one a day at least. This week I caught a chicken egg and a CB silver in the coast, and I missed several other metallics, but I haven't even seen hide nor hair of a blu. I'm sure the pendulum will swing back soon. :-)

You know what else has practically disappeared lately? Dinos. The jungle moves even slower than the coast, and the few drops I've hung around the jungle, I never saw a single dino.

Edited by tjekan

Something else that has dried up value-wise are Frill mates and Old Pink mates. I've a 2gen SilverxFrill cross that I've tried to trade a 3gen for and it was also deemed worthless. It's my only 2gen Metal, so to have it made worthless royally fries my chickens.

Ok, but I just saw your trade post, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to complain that nobody wants high-gen tinsels and CB uncommons anymore when you yourself are asking for only rare-lineaged 3rd-gen tinsels/metals or 2nd-gen Thuweds in return. If you wouldn't even accept another 6th-gen tinsel in exchange for yours, then how could you expect another person to take your 6th-gen tinsel in exchange for a 3rd-gen one? You might get more offers if you lowered the expectations of what you are asking for to be more in line with what you're offering. If you're trying to trade something that you yourself would decline if someone else tried to offer it to you, then yeah, you're probably going to end up disappointed in its trade value.

Edited by tjekan

Ok, but I just saw your trade post, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to complain that nobody wants high-gen tinsels and CB uncommons anymore when you yourself are asking for only rare-lineaged 3rd-gen tinsels/metals or 2nd-gen Thuweds in return. If you wouldn't even accept another 6th-gen tinsel in exchange for yours, then how could you expect another person to take your 6th-gen tinsel in exchange for a 3rd-gen one? You might get more offers if you lowered the expectations of what you are asking for to be more in line with what you're offering. If you're trying to trade something that you yourself would decline if someone else tried to offer it to you, then yeah, you're probably going to end up disappointed in its trade value.

This. You won't ger reasonable offees if you ask for unreasonable things.

I:ll also add that breeding Bluesangs is no problem - the problem is catxhing them. Right now, I would put a couple of CB Bluesangs on par with low gen, maybe even CB metal. But breed ones are somewhere in the cathegory of breed Tan Ridgewings and Red Dorsals IMO.

You have a Shimmer, you can get as many CB Metals as you want.

Yes, I could, but that doesn't mean I will. And hell, I put a lot of effort into getting Shimmers, so why shouldn't I try to get something good out of them? Something that I've never been able to catch myself? I sometimes feel pressured by the community to gift, because trading for the CB Metals I want for my scroll goals is somehow greedy. I think I have enough metals now, anyhow, so I might not be trading for any more of them. You never know, greedy old me might actually ... gift some? I am trying not to keep lists for my Shimmers, just so that I can so things spontaneously with their offspring. I can gift them, trade them, whatever I feel like doing. Though sometimes the attitude of some people in this community makes me feel like I should be using my Shimmers to hoard CB Metals, because that's what people seem to assume Shimmer owners do. I know you all want Shimmers, but not everyone can get them instantly. I know you all want CB Metals, but they're rather hard to come by too. That doesn't mean you should take it out on the people who do have Shimmers and can catch CB Metals. >.>

Heck, I almost wish I didn't have Shimmers now. I put so much effort into getting them, and now I'm just perceived as greedy for even having them. I didn't trade CB Metals for most of them (so I couldn't get on as many lists as others did), but therefore it is achievable to get Shimmers without them, though it's a lot easier if you can easily catch Metals.

My wife has been trying to trade a 2gen PB Blusang for a couple of days with no luck. [...]

She has a CB Ice hatchie that no one will look at with decent offers. I ended up with her CB Blusang that nobody would even offer on.... [...]

I've a 2gen SilverxFrill cross that I've tried to trade a 3gen for and it was also deemed worthless.

If I get offers on my trades, it's usually only one, so I'm not saying this isn't true. But I still think it's not people not deeming it worthy, it's just numbers.

When I look at the thread right now, there are ten people browsing it. Ten! What are the odds that people who need what I'm offering AND have what I want AND actually go ahead and make the offer will see my post if I post now? And yet I do occasionally get offers. smile.gif

I've made two good trades with bred Blusangs only yesterday, and I've seen many CB Ice I would have loved to offer on but didn't have what was asked... it's pure luck.

I think we have heard too much of how people are offering bags of cb metals for cb shimmer owners and how cb owners are or even those with shimmers now are cashing in left and right. I know for a fact that this is hugely blown out of proportion because not everyone have bags of CB Metals at their fingertips.

While it is true that there have been trades involving a huge amount of cb metals for shimmer trade, they are really in the minority. And things like this gets blown out quick because people only talks about the exaggerated.

While it is true that there have been trades involving a huge amount of cb metals for shimmer trade, they are really in the minority. And things like this gets blown out quick because people only talks about the exaggerated.

Like most exaggerations, though, there's a big kernel of truth inside it. It is difficult to get a shimmer egg right now without at least one CB metal, because CB metals are dropping so freely that people are offering them left and right. I own a 5th-gen shimmer and when I offered its 6th-gen offspring for trade, I immediately got three different people offering a CB silver for it. That's for a 6th-gen. The competition must be many times fiercer for a lower-gen.

That obviously doesn't mean a person with a shimmer will ALWAYS choose a CB metal trade. (I traded a tinsel for my 5th-gen, and I'm trading its next egg for another tinsel.) But there's no question that anybody who makes an offer is COMPETING with CB metal offers.

This will undoubtedly be temporary. As the population of shimmers keeps increasing, the price will go down sharply, just as it happened for tinsels. And if the new influx of CB metallics tapers off, people will surely become less willing to spend them quite so freely.

If there were a slightly more robust trading system in place, though, we wouldn't end up in bottlenecks like this as often as we do.

I jumped on the band wagon for trying to trade a CB metal for an IOU shimmer, but I don't think I would want to give it up for a 6th gen.. I dunno, it seems worth more than that to me but who knows if it will even be noticed in the throng of all the other CB offers lol

I jumped on the band wagon for trying to trade a CB metal for an IOU shimmer, but I don't think I would want to give it up for a 6th gen.. I dunno, it seems worth more than that to me but who knows if it will even be noticed in the throng of all the other CB offers lol

At this point I wouldn't trade a CB metal for a 6th gen shimmer, definitely not for an IOU. The shimmers are very fast getting more common, whereas the CB metal boom will not last forever. Besides a CB metal, even in this boom is worth a lower gen shimmer then that.

Edited by Dubious

Well, in fairness, mine wasn't an IOU. It was an egg in a trade link, so I guess there was some of that "bird in the hand RIGHT NOW" effect going on. Still, though, with three DIFFERENT people making the same offer, clearly it wasn't a fluke or a unique case where the code had a special meaning for one specific person or something like that. If that egg was drawing multiple offers of a CB silver, then it's not hard at all for me to believe that people would be offering a CB gold on a 5th-gen, or multiple CB metallics on a 3rd or 4th.

I think most of what's going on is really just, what ELSE are the top players going to spend extra CB metallics on? If they have enough CB metals for their own scroll goals, and they've been around long enough to have neglecteds and tinsels already, then shimmerscales are probably the only thing left for them to trade for, really. Otherwise I'd figure they're more likely to gift than to trade it for other stuff they don't need like CB blacks.

>.o I just put up a freshly caught CB gold up in the trade. We'll see if people offer. /withers

I never know what will be wanted and what won't. I had a 2nd gen Speckle egg with GOLD parent, and no offers!!!

It's weird. It really is. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to try to trade.

I sometimes wonder if it'd make sense to start a place for people with ... metalkin (I guess?) to trade for other metalkin. I've got a few that I'd like to pick up for checker projects, but it seems hard to find people who are looking to trade for the same thing at the same time!

I think we have heard too much of how people are offering bags of cb metals for cb shimmer owners and how cb owners are or even those with shimmers now are cashing in left and right. I know for a fact that this is hugely blown out of proportion because not everyone have bags of CB Metals at their fingertips.

And this is exactly the problem we're having that it causing some of the trade inflation. Because even if people are getting Shimmers/Tinsels without lots of CB metals to offer, the perception is that it's necessary.

That perception is pushing a lot of players back into the metal hunt that might not be there as consistently, and it's leading most of the CB metal trade offers to be solely for prize dragon offspring.

So the problem is that, no matter what trade deals are actually being made in private for prize dragons, the idea that the only equal for a prize dragon is a CB metal and that the only equal for a CB metal is a prize dragon has helped shut a lot of people out of catching metals and has largely wiped out the market that used to see CB metals trading for things that players could get far easier than a low gen prize dragon.

That's one of the reasons that I'm hoping that, even if it diminishes a bit, the metal upswing remains. I think that if it becomes clear that the value of a CB metal has lessened, then people who grab a Silver or Gold will be more open to trading it for other things. Likewise, more people might begin looking for things besides metals for their low gen prize offspring.

To be clear, I have nothing against people offering or asking for whatever they want for their trades. That's the point of trading - to get what you want for your scroll goals. It's the game, itself, that I believe has created an imbalance that has thrown off trading both with the limited number of prize dragons awarded and by incentivizing endless metal hunting on a scale that probably wouldn't be happening otherwise.

And this is exactly the problem we're having that it causing some of the trade inflation.  Because even if people are getting Shimmers/Tinsels without lots of CB metals to offer, the perception is that it's necessary.

That perception is pushing a lot of players back into the metal hunt that might not be there as consistently, and it's leading most of the CB metal trade offers to be solely for prize dragon offspring.

So the problem is that, no matter what trade deals are actually being made in private for prize dragons, the idea that the only equal for a prize dragon is a CB metal and that the only equal for a CB metal is a prize dragon has helped shut a lot of people out of catching metals and has largely wiped out the market that used to see CB metals trading for things that players could get far easier than a low gen prize dragon.

That's one of the reasons that I'm hoping that, even if it diminishes a bit, the metal upswing remains.  I think that if it becomes clear that the value of a CB metal has lessened, then people who grab a Silver or Gold will be more open to trading it for other things.  Likewise, more people might begin looking for things besides metals for their low gen prize offspring.

To be clear, I have nothing against people offering or asking for whatever they want for their trades.  That's the point of trading - to get what you want for your scroll goals. It's the game, itself, that I believe has created an imbalance that has thrown off trading both with the limited number of prize dragons awarded and by incentivizing endless metal hunting on a scale that probably wouldn't be happening otherwise.

THIS!!

As it stands I just searched though the trade boards trying to obtain the LAST CB gold I need for my scroll goals. I'm offering a PB 2nd Gen Gold, A Cb silver hatchie, and a PB 2nd Gen silver and they all so far have been denials of people holding out for prize dragons when I bothered to pm them in request. :/

(I did not Pm those who said NO other offers on their CB Gold thread though because obviously they don't want any other offers and I don't want to be rude :/)

Edited by Reidragon

THIS!!

As it stands I just searched though the trade boards trying to obtain the LAST CB gold I need for my scroll goals. I'm offering a PB 2nd Gen Gold, A Cb silver hatchie, and a PB 2nd Gen silver and they all so far have been denials of people holding out for prize dragons when I bothered to pm them in request. :/

(I did not Pm those who said NO other offers on their CB Gold thread though because obviously they don't want any other offers and I don't want to be rude :/)

I could honestly not agree with this more. I've been playing for four years, this will be my fifth year playing in Dec. In that time, I'd only managed to get -one- CB gold, of which, I'm still not sure how. I finally managed to snag my first CB Silver during the new release rush this week after missing....I don't even know how many now and being declined quite a few trades and spending the entire week in the biomes.

My internet is not the best in the world, but that's just part of the game. It also means that I don't have some of the more....what I see...as outrageous requests for said metals. It's very much a challenge to get that CB Metal, up until this week it was a hardcore challenge just to get a -black.-

But on another end, it's disheartening to see peeps with 5 or even -10- metals in the trading threads only looking for shimmers. That's their right as they have better resources available to them to actually net those metals, but it also feels like the Shimmers/Tinsels have caused somewhat of an imbalance. SO much so that I almost don't even want one currently as the trade threads have left a little distaste in my mouth for them.

I will be very happy when the shimmer craze dies down more, but at the same time, are we really going to see the lessen of the amount of CB Metals people are trying to offer for just IOUs? I'm not so sure. I also agree that it's making a very hard prerequisite for anyone to meet involved both shimmers and cb metals. From the outside, it looks like anyone with a CB Metal is looking for Shimmers, because that's the standard currently....and anyone with Shimmers is most likely going to look at the CB Metal offers first. Creating a cycle that only so many can actually participate in.

Edited by Bu-tan

Trades are absolutely INSANE lately. I offered three CB metals, a CB Stripe, a CB Ice, a PB Magma with TJ in the code and still got turned down by someone offering a 5th gen Silver Shimmer. I have no clue what these people want. Its like...insane. I cannot catch 10 CB metals that they're after with work and a young daughter! It just isn't possible for me! I am praying to every god out there that the price on Silver Shimmers will go down.

Right now I'm more worried about how no blusangs are being offered at all for my golds

There is definitely a feeding frenzy effect going on. It's unfortunate the timing of the rare/uncommon rush was also after the prize release. A month or two sooner and we'd have seen more even trading. I'm sure it's also being driven by the unknown factor of when it may end. So, people are being a bit frantic. But, if multiple people are offering cb metals on shimmer trades then it makes sense for people to offer that. After all, once they breed their first egg, they can make back what they traded for it.

I would say if you've multiple metals and no hope of getting a shimmer atm with them, be patient. Spread the CB metal love to people that have helped you around the forums. The only thing that will take their value down a notch is if more people have them, after all. And that helps spread the 2nd gen wealth around rather than having it in the hands of a few. Anyone who has asked a shimmer owner to lotto or gift, should be willing to do that. None of us should expect or ask them to do things we aren't willing to do ourselves.

I would say if you've multiple metals and no hope of getting a shimmer atm with them, be patient. Spread the CB metal love to people that have helped you around the forums. The only thing that will take their value down a notch is if more people have them, after all. And that helps spread the 2nd gen wealth around rather than having it in the hands of a few. Anyone who has asked a shimmer owner to lotto or gift, should be willing to do that. None of us should expect or ask them to do things we aren't willing to do ourselves.

Very well said! smile.gif

I think the expectations of CB Metal owners can be rather alarming. I posted a few posts back that people are all expecting to trade their CB Metals for shimmers because they had been led to believe that cb metals are the only thing shimmer owners are looking for. So, when a shimmer trade came up, the trader will be bombarded with multiple cb metal offers. The scarier part is, the cb metal owners think that the shimmer owner owes it to them to accept their trade because *How dare someone turn down their bags of cb metals!* mentality.

This is sad. And frustrating. And takes the fun out of trading.

The shimmer craze will die down eventually, don't have any doubt about that. I mean, look at how tinsels are right now... The low-gens are still sought-after, but higher gens are practically being spread around like candy nowadays.