lundfamily3

Trading Inflation

But since I'm really not interested in spending my days grocery shopping for dragons, I'm cool with simplistic egg-bartering, personally. I just wish that there were a broader pool of people to trade with and/or a wider variety of dragon values, because trading used to be a lot more fun than it is now. That's all.

You know, if we made forums more accessible to other people there would probably be more trading variety.

Or we could finally get that incave market place where even people that don't like forums could trade.

You know, if we made forums more accessible to other people there would probably be more trading variety.

Or we could finally get that incave market place where even people that don't like forums could trade.

That would be a good idea. I mean, a system where you didn't have to lurk 10 pages worth of trade to get what you're looking for.

Such as this;

I go into the market- Choose; Bronze Tinsel.

20 results.

Each result with a certain demand- Need, black egg, CB whatsoever.

I think it would be a more efficient system, while the principles being the same. You go straight to what you're looking for, and your trade posts don't get buried under 10 others in a matter of minutes.

We could suggest it in the request forum.

Other people? Which other people? Non-DC ? What you mean, hon?

Other people, as in players that don't care about going on the forums, or that are too young, don't know English good enough... The majority of the players isn't on the forums.

He means non-forum people. The userbase at the forums is a huge minority to the people who are playing the game.

Edit; Ninja'd xd.png

Edited by DragonNighthowler

He means folks that don't use these forums for whatever reason. Right now, trading is pretty limited to just those that use these forums, EAtW marketplace, and perhaps third-party forums.

ninja.gif 'd x2

Edited by Slaskia

CB metals always get hits. If you put up a 2gen, that's when you're not going to get any bites.

Since we're not allowed to offer IOUs, people have been forced into only "accepting"/"wanting" CBs, because you can't offer a particular lineage someone wants to make if you don't have the egg/hatchling on hand. For example, I'm making a mate for a 3gen gold x magis, I'm making a contrast mate with golds and tsunamis because... well, TVTropes.

It's going to be a hard lineage to make because of the dragons involved, it was already initially hard to ask anyone for an IOU of a gold from those kinds of parents, because:

1) Other people probably aren't going to want to tie up their dragons in no egg/common egg cycles as a favor. Especially when metals were very rare in cave and going through a drought.

2) They know they have only metal egg options with Holidays, so many 2gens are out of Frills or Holidays, this creates problems if the other person doesn't have the material for a mate. So you see metal swap trades that now ask for non-Holiday parents, which are hard to make because of the no egg/common egg cycle. Then timing of spotting that sort of trade, while having the desired product on hand becomes the issue.

3) There's no real punishment for failing an IOU or trade. No "money" changes hands, trading was accidental initially. So someone not holding out their end of an IOU gets off scot-free, because they get what they want first, hence scamming was a problem. Because it involves a promise of future behavior, but a thousand and one things can alter that behavior. A simple thing like spilling coffee on your laptop dramatically re-prioritizes getting someone an owed egg on a game.

And now we can no longer IOU. Even mentioning it on the forum that you take them is something to be hidden in your profile or signature. You can't say it in a post on a trade.

I think that that did a great deal to screw up Trading. That we cannot make user-user agreements independent of the site. So now everyone is forced to offer their whole hand at once. So you got the bidding wars on Tinsels, which started the whole mess of offering a mess of metals all at once. First, because Teleport made it completely safe to deliver 4 dragons to one person without any interference. -Anyone remember when we didn't have Teleport and it was the very brave soul who accepted an offer of multiples caught through the AP loophole? It was pretty much a given that half weren't going to get to their intended destination.- So that laid the groundwork for a 4:1 trade being seen as acceptable. Where before you very rarely ever saw anything heavier than 2:1 trade for anything.

Now, with Shimmers, we have the double-whammy of Teleport and no IOUs. because you can't offer two cb metals and some future lineaged hatchlings the owner might honestly want later on. Someone's going to show up with 4 cb metals that will blow over your offer out of the water. Add the metal boom to that and you've gotten the current mess where huge amounts of metals are now the special of the day, and nothing that's lineaged can move easily.

....man I'm going to go ask for spoiler tags over in forum feedback now. I didn't mean to ramble this much.

I think that that did a great deal to screw up Trading.  That we cannot make user-user agreements independent of the site.  So now everyone is forced to offer their whole hand at once.  So you got the bidding wars on Tinsels, which started the whole mess of offering a mess of metals all at once.  First, because Teleport made it completely safe to deliver 4 dragons to one person without any interference.  -Anyone remember when we didn't have Teleport and it was the very brave soul who accepted an offer of multiples caught through the AP loophole?  It was pretty much a given that half weren't going to get to their intended destination.- So that laid the groundwork for a 4:1 trade being seen as acceptable.  Where before you very rarely ever saw anything heavier than 2:1 trade for anything.

Now, with Shimmers, we have the double-whammy of Teleport and no IOUs. because you can't offer two cb metals and some future lineaged hatchlings the owner might honestly want later on. Someone's going to show up with 4 cb metals that will blow over your offer out of the water.  Add the metal boom to that and you've gotten the current mess where huge amounts of metals are now the special of the day, and nothing that's lineaged can move easily.

/end thread, seriously.

The part about pre-teleports is especially true.

Edit: Also -

"Which still only works in DC economy, as real world economy is not based on the rarity of products,."

Yes it is, but no economy is solely based on rarity.

"and you dont consider the dragons here mass produced

No."

Yes they are, except for the very, very, very rare spriters' alt exceptions.

Edited by Noxion

I want to trade this http://dragcave.net/lineage/ZWgMg because I'm unable to continue the linage, but no one seems to be interested. I really don't much for it but no one wants it as it is 4th gen.

Your difficulty could also be because it's an Even Gen, which typically are only interesting to those that have the patience to continue the pattern, especially since there's a lot of metal in that line.

Edited by Slaskia

That being said, I don't think a game currency should be implemented in this particular kind of game setting. It seems like it paves the way for eggs that would require special currency to buy. At least with golds/silvers/shimmers and whatnot we have a decent opportunity to trade for or catch them without having IRL resources which we can invest in DC.

This and what Syphoneira said.

I'm kind of confused as to what the difference would be between WANTING something on this site, and NEEDING it. I mean, it's an online game. We don't really NEED any of these things, do we? It's pretty much ALL a question of what we want, in my opinion.

I don't think anyone should feel like they have to feel guilty if what they want is shimmerscales or CB metals. There's nothing wrong with that. I'd like to see the game change a little to encourage more diversity in collection, but I don't think anyone should feel bad about liking what they like.

"Need" meant for scroll completion or to finish up lineages.

Just to add to this:

Want = 'I've met my goals of how many of <insert breed here> to have, but I wouldn't mind having more'.

Edited by Slaskia

I've been trying to mix it up a bit trade wise by putting cb trios up. Technically I'd be done with my scroll goal for them now if I wasn't. But I figured with all the extra hatchy space we have, I could try trading them for hatchies I'd like, but I haven't been raising because I've been so trio focused. Plus, spending a little more time trio hunting at the hour gives me the odd shot at getting a metal.

It's worked very well for me so far. I've gotten my quote of winters without actually catching any *\o/* And more than one person mentioned the finished their magma scroll goals which were their last trio. So, win-win.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your view) I just got Heart of the Swarm and it appears to affect my lag rather badly. So I'm not sure I'll be catching much while I've got it going. So I may be switching to AP clearing. <3 low time eggs. But I'll keep an eye on trades. I've seen a few others listing hatchies and if people really aren't getting offers on nice gen metals, perhaps I can pick up something pretty.

(edit: /pokes nose into Volcano and reflex clicks a magma. THEY STICK TO MY FINGERS D: )

Edited by Vhale

Now I've seen several trades, where people are asking for CB metals for CB commons!! blink.gif

Uh....yeah, right.

Now I've seen several trades, where people are asking for CB metals for CB commons!! blink.gif

Uh....yeah, right.

There are also insane people who would ignore an offer of several CB metals, 4th gen Shimmers, any commons available, and AN OFFSPRING FROM JEWEL for a place on a list for a 5th gen Bronze Shimmer from Holiday mates...trading inflation THAT insane needs to be worked on. TJ needs to do something if trades are that insane. I know people with Shimmer IOUs expect a lot, but when a lot is actually offered and still refused, then it gets confusing and insane.

Does anyone know what a 5th gen IOU for a Bronze Shimmer from Lurker would cost (I assume a non-insane price, ie 6 CB metals, multiple 4th gen Shimmer IOUs including one from Jewel, and other rares)? I really am curious, since my daughter has been looking for that line in particular for nearly 3 weeks! If you have a 4th gen, PM me. This isn't a trade thread, so I won't offer anything here.

I still just had to write in my opinion on the absolutely insane trading inflation.

I'm about ready to give up on trading. When perfectly good CBs/2nd gens/hatchies can sit for hours/days & not get a single offer, it's time to throw in the towel. Things I see that I'd like are way out of my reach, & my own trades seem to be worthless. Yeah, I think I'm done.

I'm about ready to give up on trading. When perfectly good CBs/2nd gens/hatchies can sit for hours/days & not get a single offer, it's time to throw in the towel. Things I see that I'd like are way out of my reach, & my own trades seem to be worthless. Yeah, I think I'm done.

Yep. When trades with 6 CB metals and 4th gen Shimmers can sit for days, you REALLY know its time to just give up! It is pathetic. I know TJ can't control trading, but perhaps something could be done about the amount of rares that drop in the cave? Some rares aren't even rares anymore.

Are you seriously going to complain about actually being able to see CB metals in the cave? Seriously?

There are also insane people who would ignore an offer of several CB metals, 4th gen Shimmers, any commons available, and AN OFFSPRING FROM JEWEL for a place on a list for a 5th gen Bronze Shimmer from Holiday mates...trading inflation THAT insane needs to be worked on. TJ needs to do something if trades are that insane.

Tj can't "do something". That's like saying ebay should "do something " when some idiot buyer pays $500 for something you can buy new in a store for $25. It does happen. The buyer/trader has the responsibility - not ebay or TJ.

Yep. When trades with 6 CB metals and 4th gen Shimmers can sit for days, you REALLY know its time to just give up! It is pathetic. I know TJ can't control trading, but perhaps something could be done about the amount of rares that drop in the cave? Some rares aren't even rares anymore.

I'm curious as to which rares you're talking about, because I notice no difference.

PUH-leeeze don't have TJ do anything about the way the Metals are falling! Sure there are the ones who offer six metal eggs along with 4 or 5 metal hatchies - *edited out snark* But I've at least been able to CLICK on these! Before I just didn't even get to SEE them drop.

Are you seriously going to complain about actually being able to see CB metals in the cave? Seriously?

No, of course I'm not complaining about THAT. I love seeing them, at last, after years! I just wish trades weren't so inflated right now! That's what this topic is about, trading inflation.

I'm almost afraid of expressing a dissenting opinion but I've been reading this thread and wondering if I'm missing something. I wonder if some of the posters realize that, exactly like they seem to be cut out of the trading right now because they are not able to catch CB metals, there were so many others cut out of it anyway before this boom.

People that had already CB or low-gen metals or great lineages could trade easily. The others, not so much.

Just to give an example: until this boom, an offer of 4 lovingly raised uncommon hatchies (Striped, Blacks, Trios) would not have been too successful on getting a 2nd/3rd gen metals. The traders wanted blood-swaps. So why are some people so surprised... and almost angry?

Edit:

I really hope that the metals keep dropping at least at the same rate... if people realize that they will have a chance in the next future to get them, probably the situation will normalize...

Edited by _Sin_

I'm legitimately asking this. Why are users that have CB Blacks and vines asking for rare items? I'm really curious. I'm almost certain that I read in the wiki that CB won't alt. I refresh over them.