lundfamily3

Trading Inflation

I have recently come back from a break. The first thing I did was go to the DC wiki to see the new breeds. Then I went to the AP, Trading, etc. Looking to see if I could find the eggs. Finally I just decided I would go and trade for uncommons at Eggs Around the World. In the Dragon Market I see a CB Royal Blue hatchie, and I look to see what the owner wants.

They want 4 CB Golden Wyverns. A lot of trades I have seen recently seem outrageous, especially ones like 10th Gen Arrowhead Silvers going for 3 CB Golds. Who has three CB gold eggs/hatchlings at one time?

So is it just me, or is trading inflated?

~

Note: This isn't a trading topic tongue.gif

Just for future references - I think this would be well at home at "tiny little questions".

Honestly I think there's always users around, who ask for outrageous things - I really doubt they'll get them though. Especially new users/forum members tend to 'overevaluate' their babies...

I think it still happens to me if you go by the number of offers I usually get on my trades, if I ask for anything but a bloodswap wink.gif

4 CB GW for 1 CB RB - I can't imagine anyone would do that trade except if you REALLY needed a CB RB RIGHT NOW! And the odds of that aren't that high.

Edited by herk

Uuh I don't think anyone will do those trades.. It's just random impossible things people ask for, it's not really their real price. Specially if people trade 1 CB gold for a Neglected, I doubt they will trade 3 for a 10th gen silver xd.png

Yeah, people who make demands like the ones specified in your first post are in the minority. :P

Perhaps it also has something to do with the fact you were using a fan site trading system? I don't know if that may contribute to the problem but maybe it's because while the forums is pretty much a niche when it comes to DC as a whole, fan sites are visited by almost everyone. Sooo, assuming there are lots of players in the EATW trading area who don't use the forums (and therefore are less aware of the 'going price' and value of trade fodder), it's more a matter of trading for what they want and not what is realistic? I dunno. :D

Also, don't forget that you often see the outrageous trades because they stick around longer. Good trades are here and then gone when they are snapped up, bad trades stick around.

Inflation also is affected by what value each person puts on something. Me personally as I am working on finishing my scroll, will give less value to a Red Dino than I would to a Bright-Breasted Wyvern. Why? Well I have the S1, S2 and adult dragons of the Dino and only have a male adult dragon of a BBW. Technically speaking, a Dino is worth more than a BBW, but not to me.

It's really just a matter of personal goals and the like. My goals just happen to revolve around getting all of the eggs I can, CB or 2nd gen when CB is not possible. That's just what I think though.

has nothing to do with inflation. It's just some people like to ask for unreasonable trade offers... and those people will ever so rarely succeed in actually getting what they want.

I don't understand why anybody would pay such outrageous prices for pixel eggs.

I traded eggs today. I let CB Nebulas go; one for 2 hatchies, one for 3, and a CB Thunder for 4 hatchies. They sounded like fair prices to me, so I took the offers. Lineage didn't matter.

has nothing to do with inflation. It's just some people like to ask for unreasonable trade offers... and those people will ever so rarely succeed in actually getting what they want.

This - just because that's what people are asking for, doesn't mean they're getting it! wink.gif

Also, OP, if you'd like a CB Royal Blue, I have one I can gift you once it's off CD...

I can't but laugh when I see trades, even here on the forum, like "Have 10th gen messy red, want cb or 2nd gen gold"

I don't know if those players really overvaluate their dragons, or they simply are not very expert on prices.

But I don't think they have a single offer to those absurd requests

I agree. I gift on the whole. Trade "values" get WAY up my nose " (That said, I have offered, but mine are more like "TELL me what you want from me for a neglected; I will do it I will I will I will" xd.png !)

And I think this IS site discussion, not help; it is discussing a problem - and I do think there is a SMALL problem - there are people here who think you are quite unreasonable to refuse to breed your CB silver in return for 2 common hatchies. I have done that for NOTHING many times, but I would never respond to an "OFFER" like that. I'd rather see a polite request ! (NB to anyone reading this: yes, I will add you to my list, but it is VERY long, and the girl is attached to an IOU which has so far been waiting THREE YEARS...)

I honestly give up with trading. There's just too many people who overvalue their dragons, it's getting hard to find decent trades. A 3rd gen Silver is NOT worth a CB Gold, and will never be. Nor is a 2nd gen Red hatchling, for that matter. And putting "CB Gold - I can dream lol" at the end of your post doesn't make it all fine, either.

But there's nothing we can do about this, really. I would be quite within my rights to post "Have: 12th gen messy inbred Mint, Want: CB Gold".

Edited by TheGrox

And putting "CB Gold - I can dream lol" at the end of your post doesn't make it all fine, either.

My thoughts exactly... it's quite annoying to see that on so many trades that obviously are not worth that price...

Edited by xShadow

I can't but laugh when I see trades, even here on the forum, like "Have 10th gen messy red, want cb or 2nd gen gold"

I don't know if those players really overvaluate their dragons, or they simply are not very expert on prices.

But I don't think they have a single offer to those absurd requests

Sometimes I am at awe at what people ask for. I am always willing to negotiate and feel like I should give more for something someone is offering or it just doens't feel right.

I think a lot of the people posting ridiculous trades are either young, new or both. I remember ages ago when my son, then 7, wanted to add some of his old toys to the garage sale we were having. He put prices on everything... he asked for $150 for a domino. blink.gif hehehehehe

lol yeah i cant stand the crazy stuff people want for things i mean really every time i see a crazy thing like that i think "and thats why its gonna grow up on your scroll and ure gonna get squat" xd.png

I don't understand why anybody would pay such outrageous prices for pixel eggs.

I traded eggs today. I let CB Nebulas go; one for 2 hatchies, one for 3, and a CB Thunder for 4 hatchies. They sounded like fair prices to me, so I took the offers. Lineage didn't matter.

Strictly speaking, they're only trading one pixel egg for another. It's not like any real money's changing hands. From an outsiders PoV, none of them are worth anything.

--

The way I see it, people can ask for whatever they want. You don't to trade with them. I find it more annoying when people offer a messy common egg for a CB Black, for example.

--

To the OP: Eggs Around the World does have one quirk that might exacerbate things. If you've got more than one egg listed on the Have side, and you trade one or if one grows up or (I think) even if one's named, that part of your list is removed, but your Want list remains the same.

For example, say I've got a 3 CB Blacks and a CB Royal blue and I want 4 GWs for all of them. I manage to trade the three Blacks, but I don't go back to EAtW to update my post. Now, anyone reading it will think I asked for 4 GWs for a Royal Blue even though I started out with a decently fair trade.

---

I will say the only times I've ever deliberately asked for more than something's worth is when I don't care if I trade it or not. I'd like the thing I'm asking for, but ultimately I don't mind if I keep the egg I've got.

Edited by rayden54

Speaking of this, sometimes I don't understand the criteria some people follow. I bred these three eggs.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/P6fdt

http://dragcave.net/lineage/llZ67

http://dragcave.net/lineage/JDJRo

And put them up for trade. I asked for ANY trio (thunder and magma) no matter how messy or inbred they were. Lineage wasn't important. I just happen to get ice on a common basis and rarely any thunder or magma, and since I'm pursuing the elusive GON, I needed more of the other two to complete more sets.

I didn't get a single offer.

I don't think I was asking for something outrageous.

Normally, the rare times I trade, I ask for things I like, and I might add something I know I won't get (like a CB gold for a 5th gen tinsel), but which would be nice to get if someone really wanted that tinsel and was willing to give me a gold, but I always put those in last place, after other things like, for example, second gen white from this and that, or something which is not too hard to come across.

Sometimes I get what I ask for, sometimes I don't. I don't know if there is an inflation, but I think all successful trades I've made have been fair. The ones I haven't gotten anything from, I simply assumed the egg was not interesting enough since I always leave the possibility for other offers open aside from what I ask for (and sometimes I've gotten really nice things I didn't think I might have liked).

...I notice that no one's complaining about the reverse situation. For example, "Have: CB Silver, Want: CB Vampire" Yeah, I really saw that once. And missed out on it. rolleyes.giftongue.gif

DC trades are weeeeeiiiiiiirrrrrd, no matter how you slice 'em.

lol ive gotten a nice trade like that recently some1 had a silver tinsel and wanted like some more common thing that was cb for it needless 2 say i traded 4 it xd.png there is something i really hate when people do though its when they ask for a specific thing and you get what they ask for and offer it to them yet they reject the offer like people come on take what u ask for dont leave some1 holding an egg its so rude

Edited by linda3.0

lol ive gotten a nice trade like that recently some1 had a silver tinsel and wanted like some more common thing that was cb for it needless 2 say i traded 4 it xd.png there is something i really hate when people do though its when they ask for a specific thing and you get what they ask for and offer it to them yet they reject the offer like people come on take what u ask for dont leave some1 holding an egg its so rude

They could have had someone else offer the same thing, or someone offered something they need/want more than what they posted. I've put specific things in my trades that I've turned down because I was offered something better...I don't necessarily think it's rude to accept it despite it not being on my list. I certainly wouldn't expect someone else to accept my trade offer just because I offered what they asked for *shrugs* it's different if they just don't respond to your offer--because yes, that's just rude--but if they PMed you back and said no, even though you had what they asked for...meh, that's not rude.

I actually love the hyperinflated trade listings. I found a very forcefully-worded one off-site yesterday that demanded two CB blue stripes in return for their one CB vamp egg. After I stopped laughing, I felt bad that they hadn't left contact info so there was no way for me to gently explain to them why that trade wasn't going to finish the way they wanted anytime soon.

Most trades and traders seem to be pretty reasonable-- those few crazy ones end up as croutons in my trade-hunting salad. Now, my satisfaction with the sheer bulk of trades being rares-for-rares, that's something else entirely, but outside the scope of this thread.

(Seriously, two caveborn blue stripes?)

For every person who puts up an overinflated trade, there's 2-3 people who'll offer a random messy egg for a CB Rare.

And put them up for trade. I asked for ANY trio (thunder and magma) no matter how messy or inbred they were. Lineage wasn't important. [...]

I didn't get a single offer.

I don't think I was asking for something outrageous.

It's quite possible they didn't want what you have. I wouldn't. They may be "valuable" enough, but I don't really want more Trios right now (except to freeze - and then only hatchlings).

(Seriously, two caveborn blue stripes?)

I'm not sure if you're mentioning this because there aren't any CB Blue Stripes (excepting Prizes and TJs), or because you think two Blue Stripes is too much for a Vampire.

xd.png there is something i really hate when people do though its when they ask for a specific thing and you get what they ask for and offer it to them yet they reject the offer like people come on take what u ask for dont leave some1 holding an egg its so rude
You are very likely not the only person offering on a trade. There are other reasons why someone wouldn't want what they asked for later.

For example: I often ask for the same thing on several different trades (say a CB Black). I really only want ONE of them. If someone offers the same thing on more than one trade, I'll reject all the others.

it doesnt mean its not rude. besides sometimes things like in your case you know CB black eggs trade very well so instead of rejecting the other offers you should be taking them and retrading them for things you want it not only gets you what you need but stops others from having to keep chasing down what they need as well and it also gives the next people stuff they need.

Edited by linda3.0

Ok, I'll admit that sometimes I practically give stuff away, and other times I'll try to drive a pretty hard bargain. Just whatever mood I'm in.

If I'm in a good mood and I happen to see a newb post an outrageous trade sometimes I'll do it just because I can, and it makes them happy to get whatever semi rare thing they want.

You want a 2g pb blusang for that stone hatchie you have, sure, why not. I appreciate the fact that at least they try to offer what they can, even if they don't quite have the hang of it yet... tongue.gif

it doesnt mean its not rude. besides sometimes things like in your case you know CB black eggs trade very well so instead of rejecting the other offers you should be taking them and retrading them for things you want it not only gets you what you need but stops others from having to keep chasing down what they need as well and it also gives the next people stuff they need.

No, it's not. They're not your dragons and you've got no right to tell someone what to do with them.