lundfamily3

Trading Inflation

I don't trade often, but when I do, I'm looking for hatchlings. Usually BSAs. I don't know if that's the case any more, but I used to see a lot of people wanting hatchlings for Trios or pretty Metals. I'm usually so impatient that I'd rather trade a valuable egg for hatchlings so I don't have to raise them myself. tongue.gif

ITA that hatchlings are a great trade for people who can't catch/breed trade fodder. My niece is using frozen hatchlings to tell a story on her scroll and she's traded NDs to get more.

So there are people out there willing to make good trades for hatchlings. If that was the route someone wanted to go, I'd suggest putting a prominent note in their sig, kind of like a perpetual trade offer.

I know I did trade BSA hatchling or eggs for some of my Trios, but those were about a year and a half ago. It seems like various shinies are all anyone asks now days.

Yeah--times have changed with the new prize dragons. I'll keep an eye out for CB Thunders and Magmas for you. I usually drop Trios in the Departure thread, but if I see someone wanting them, like you, I'll PM them first. smile.gif

Don't assume you have to do BSA dragon hatchies though. It might be worth your while to pm a person and ask which they'd like. I know I keep my projects listed in my sig and here lately, some of those eggs are low-time in the ap. So I'd trade a trio egg for something that's pretty easy for the average person to walk to the ap and get. Just as long as they hatched it first laugh.gif

I actually have no interest in tinsels, low gen or otherwise. The only exception being very pretty silvers ie + female tans <3 /weak for silver

Edited by Vhale

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll start setting aside eggslots to work on this for a while. :-)

I looked at your trade River You have some pretty high prices for that speckle.

If you look at my trade, those were just a nice suggestion. I was willing to look at all offers. And it's not a common, Speckles are uncommon.

Anyway, I have yet to be able to complete any trades last couple weeks. sigh.

earlier in the week, I was offered several CB Golds for a third gen shimmer from Silas blink.gif All I asked for was decent offers too xd.png

I think that goes waaaaaaaay beyond decent. I'd expect people to offer that many for a second gen from my Gold Shimmerscale xd.png

If you look at my trade, those were just a nice suggestion. I was willing to look at all offers.  And it's not a common, Speckles are uncommon.

Anyway, I have yet to be able to complete any trades last couple weeks. sigh.

I think the Speckle thing is partially because people are still searching for CBs and partially because everyone's breeding their new adults and the results are likely to be Speckles because of the ratio adjustment, and since people breeding them for metals are most likely to dump the Speckle to the AP, Speckle/metal combos might actually be easier for people to grab right now.

In a month or two that trade might fetch some fairly nice offers.

earlier in the week, I was offered several CB Golds for a third gen shimmer from Silas  blink.gif All I asked for was decent offers too xd.png

I think that goes waaaaaaaay beyond decent. I'd expect people to offer that many for a second gen from my Gold Shimmerscale xd.png

I, personally, have maintained that trade inflation is a problem created by the game, as opposed to the players, so it's reasonable for players to offer and accept large scale trades if that helps them accomplish their game goals. So you should scoop up all those metals while the market is so hot and the metals are plentiful. xd.png

I, personally, have maintained that trade inflation is a problem created by the game, as opposed to the players, so it's reasonable for players to offer and accept large

scale trades if that helps them accomplish their game goals.  So you should scoop up all those metals while the market is so hot and the metals are plentiful.  xd.png

I would've, but I was a little suspicious that they weren't legit. I don't want to get my scroll burned for it sad.gif the guy wouldn't give me a lot of information other than it was a community that he was a part of that caught them. I was kinda unsure about taking them

I can't get any cb blusangs with bred golds yet

I can't get any cb blusangs with bred golds yet

During that one week I was in the cave nearly every hour....I only saw one Blusang and missed it. I do check on the Coast every so many minutes now and it just doesn't look like it's moving and there is never more then ten people in it at a time. I think most people are still congregated in the Alpine trying to snag the new dragons at the moment, but then I barely see the Coast move much as it was. :C

The desert is still clearing even with the mass congregation of peeps in the Alpine. Hopefully some of that will spread around after the new dragon craze dies down some more.

I would've, but I was a little suspicious that they weren't legit. I don't want to get my scroll burned for it sad.gif the guy wouldn't give me a lot of information other than it was a community that he was a part of that caught them. I was kinda unsure about taking them

If you are ever concerned if someone might be multi-scrolling, you should send TJ a pm. I get the impression that he is pretty quick to deal with that kind of thing. I've been slightly suspicious that the gold boom is partly to ferret out some cheating after I ran across some obvious multi-scrollers that had full eggs, the cooking badge and just a couple oranges and reds on their scrolls. The kind of people that will cheat, wouldn't be able to resist the boom right now.

Hopes this is stays on topic So, I was just on EATW, and someone wanted a Shimmer-scale, or a Neglected for a 2-gen Speckle, she said it was "Super Rare".. I swear, %85 of those trades are crazy.

What can those of us who do not have those low gen Tinsels, or metals offer to get these? That's my problem. I'd like more CB Magmas and Thunders at this point, but all the stated choices are beyond what my scroll normally produces or anything I can catch in the Cave.

What are reasonable options?

I second the vote for hatchlings. By the end you could have had my thunder hatchlings for nearly any nicely lineaged common hatchling (checkerboard, purebred EG, 2nd-gen from metal, whatever), but I wouldn't have egg-locked myself by trading one for a common egg, which was all I was getting offered.

But yes, it is a problem in general. Like I said earlier in the thread... there just isn't enough variety in dragon values in the game right now. Unless you find someone who really needs a specific dragon for a mate or has a general tendency to overvalue lineages (raises hand), you're pretty much limited to trading within-caste. And since that's pretty boring except at the highest level, a lot of people have turned out. I don't get nearly as many trade offers on ANYthing as I did a year ago.

Why should a person get their scroll burned because they accepted a great trade? It's not THIER fault the other person multi-scrolled. They were offered a great trade and accepted. No way to prove they were aware the other person was breaking the rules. Not fair.

What can those of us who do not have those low gen Tinsels, or metals offer to get these? That's my problem. I'd like more CB Magmas and Thunders at this point, but all the stated choices are beyond what my scroll normally produces or anything I can catch in the Cave.

Another option is try The Giving Tree, get some breedable rare/uncommons, and try to trade the offsprings.

Or you can do a even-gen PB lineage with commons, and try to trade the higher gen eggs/hatchlings.

Why should a person get their scroll burned because they accepted a great trade? It's not THIER fault the other person multi-scrolled. They were offered a great trade and accepted. No way to prove they were aware the other person was breaking the rules. Not fair.

Life is rarely fair. I'd say that it's not worth the risk.

Dang, has this happened before? I really hope not. sad.gif That would be very upsetting to the person who had no idea about the other person!

To my knowledge no one has ever gotten their scroll burnt for just accepting a great trade. The multi-scrollers are burnt but not those that had no idea they were trading with a multi.

I guess this is pretty late but there are people who would love to trade CB rares for CB hatchies, although BSAs (CB or not) are usually a good way to go since people perpetually look for them. Sometimes there are people on the threads who look for specific hatchies (like me) so you can work out a specific deal with them as well smile.gif

If you post your request list as a bunch of rares with the a notice about considering other offers, people generally won't offer things unless they feel it's at least almost on par with what you're requesting - maybe you'll get some 2nd gen metallics if you were asking for CBs, or a couple of purebred trios if you were asking for purebred metallics, but there's no clue for a person to tell that by "or just offer" you mean that you're willing to accept a CB hatchling or two. Generally people pass, assuming that you're looking for something more than what your offer is worth, and they're not going to waste their time since you'll probably just turn them down.

I... have to kinda disagree with that. Story time.... sorry.

When I was seriously into trading (middle of last year or so), I did link to my wishlist, and at the time I was both looking for 2gen metals, and was trading a lot of trios (mostly CB Thunders and a few CB Ices), 'cause even then, if it wasn't CB and you weren't specifically in one of the lineage trade threads, it was never going to get offered on. Now, I mentioned directly in my trades that I was fine with 2-4gen metals, Cb-2gen stripes (because I needed those at the time), 2gen trios (for bloodswaps, thought I didn't state it as such), sometimes particular pairings (but not often admittedly). However, I usually also mentioned that my wishlist was open and that I accepted things off of it as well, and all the lineaged stuff I wanted was there as well, with pictures.

At the time I was really into collecting Albino dragons, I like their sprite, and I had a naming game going on with them (I really should finish it). But I NEVER mentioned in my trades that Albinos were what I was looking for, those were always on my wishlist.

So I'm putting up CB Trios, and what do you think they offered?

The Albinos. They always picked the frickin' Albinos. Not what I mentioned I wanted in that trade post specifically, not a PM even to discuss IOUs maybe, they looked at my wishlist and picked the "cheapest" thing off of it. The worst of it was that originally I assumed I was getting offers from new members who didn't have anything to offer except the low end, how nice that teleport gives scroll names, so I could see that the "high bidders" of four albino messy-lineaged eggs had all the old pinks, frills, cb-high gen metals, and every single pairing for lineages that I also had on my wishlist could have offered. But what did they do? Went to the AP and grabbed a bunch of albino eggs because, hey, they could just dump them again at no cost if I didn't take the offer, and it didn't cost them anything to make the offer or abandon it if I didn't reply to it fast enough. (Which also happened once, I was almost ready to bite the bullet and claim one offer of CB albino eggs, only to find that they had caught/offered the eggs, changed their mind, cancelled the trade and dumped their eggs before I had time to finish looking at the lineages and going back to accept the trade. Since that had been the only offer on that egg anyway, that snub burned like you have no idea.)

TL;DR version:

The problem is people don't trade at equivalent value, they pick the thing they think will get them what they want at the least cost to them. Right now, low-gen Shimmers (or any Shimmers at the moment) are hard to find, and offering a half-to-a-baker's dozen of CB metals for one, or a promise of one, by those who are already extremely good at catching them, is cheaper than hunting down more obscure trades for "cheaper" things. Metals are about the only "sure" thing in the current trading economy, so much so, that even if you are asking for a CB metal, and are offering 2 PB 2gen metals, it will not be taken, the CB has more implicit value, you will be offered the "cheapest" thing the other person things you're stupiddesperate or willing enough to take.

Trading inflation is all matter of perception, but as metals are the only acknowledged "true" rares in DC -a matter I really think should change, if only to level the field a little bit, we need a rare drake and a rare pygmy, or an extremely rare alt form of a common, something that can compete on the level of a metal without being another metal- they are what is being used as currency.

Trading inflation is all matter of perception, but as metals are the only acknowledged "true" rares in DC -a matter I really think should change, if only to level the field a little bit, we need a rare drake and a rare pygmy, or an extremely rare alt form of a common, something that can compete on the level of a metal without being another metal- they are what is being used as currency.

I agree, the alt blacks and alt vines used to fill this niche somewhat, but since they've been in circulation so long, a lot of people have had their alt scroll goals met for years. Some new rare alts and a shiny pygmy would be excellent additions.

Part of what you are talking about with rares is why I made this suggestion thread: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=147582 It's to think about various ideas for alts. When I say alt mind you, I include things like vamps, zombies and neglected. Because we alter one dragon into another. But, I think if we want more rares, it might be helpful to also have another way that the rare comes into being. Which is exactly what those three do. And TJ did mention he was up for interesting alt ideas. So, it might be a good way for us to get some mid-level worth dragons that don't necessarily involve having the fastest internet connection.

On the subject of offering trades, if I see something I want and they say 'or other offers' I try to give the best of what I currently have if I think it's even a glimmer of hope of it being accepted.

Most of these have been for shimmers, all of which failed, waah. I had one person tell me they were offered 5 CB golds. Now, I've been doing this for 5 years, since 2008. I have caught a total of.... two CB golds in all that time.

Now, I'm sure there's people who have traded what they had for CB golds, maybe even found enough stuff to get 5 of them, or maybe they caught them all as drops, but it was really disappointing that people like that are preferred over people who just aren't as good and try to offer what they have.

Then again, this could just be me whining, and I'm trying my best to try and catch those CBs. But it is still disappointing that anything other than CB metals are all but auto-declined these days. I actually like seeing people offer really valuable dragons and request something obscure, like a specific breeding line. That gives people like me a slight chance to get something.

On another note, I tried really hard to get tinsels and finally did a year ago, but now they're everywhere. I dunno, their value seems to be dropping now that the shimmers are out.

Yes, it seems a 6. gen clean stairstep Tinsel hatchie is worth nothing more than a messy Mint hatchie - that's the only offer I got. I can't trade my CB Nebula hatchie either, when all I'm asking for are really easy-to-get CB hatchies like Mint or Gold horned Tangar. Perhaps people don't have those hatchies right now because all they hunt is CB Metals and new dragons, but it seems strange nevertheless. Sometimes I think a real currency system would have some benefits, too.

I've no problem keeping the Nebula when nobody wants it but the Bronze was bred specially to be a trade offer (someone asking for clean tinsel stairsteps from commons, any gender), but my offfer was rejected then.

As for shimmers - meh. I dared to offer on two so far - one was a 5th gen Bronze, and I offered a 2. gen gold + 3 CB stripe hatchies ans was beaten by ceveral CB metals, the other was an offer I made in IRC, and the person didn't even bother to answer my offer with a no thanks dry.gif

Ok, now I have a CB Ice up in trades. I am asking for any offer, but no CBS, and to keep it low gen. I also ask maybe for a 2nd gen PB alt vine. Is THIS too expensive? No one is offering. So I guess CB ices are no good anymore either?

when it comes to 2nd gen alt vines I have no idea if it is the same cost as a cb ice. I do know I had to leave some of my trades up for half a day before I get an offer sometimes even more.