ShadowRift

Trade/Gift Adults or Frozen Things

I don't like this. Imagine some older players trading away their bright pinks or frills or CB blacks or CB vines - which used to be incredibly common! - for inordinate prices... *shudder* Do not want. sad.gif

Ummm... who said trading? I understood that the idea was that a player could gift ONE adult dragon/frozen hatchie to another, say for Christmas, with the limit of "x" dragons per holiday/year (to different people).

Consider it as the glomp gifting thread. Just one way decision, of course the giftee could decline it.

Ummm... who said trading? I understood that the idea was that a player could gift ONE adult dragon/frozen hatchie to another, say for Christmas, with the limit of "x" dragons per holiday/year (to different people).

Consider it as the glomp gifting thread. Just one way decision, of course the giftee could decline it.

People could still trade. They could "gift" their adult and then accept a transfer for whatever rares they managed to get out of some other player. >.<

Not to offend anyone by comparison, but this exists on MagiStream and people trade rare/limited adults for insane prices. Granted, MS's economy is messed up majorly, but still. Now, if it were a gifting program, I'd be okay with it. Maybe set it up like the valentines? Type in a username or check random, with a list of notes--- Merry Christmas!, Enjoy!, <3, etc.--- depending on the holiday or occasion.

I think this would be OK if there were limits in place, only being able to accept x numbers of gifts, once a year on C'mas or DC anniversary maybe.

It would help spread the wealth among more players instead of all the old pinks and frills being on just a small numbers of scrolls. I have a spare frill I'd probably gift.

As far as people being obnoxious about begging for discontinued or rare adults, how would that be any different than the begging of eggs that goes on now?

That's how trading economies get busted. Demanding more than a single trade allows is pure greed.. and agreeing to it shows either stupidity or desperation. That's the single biggest reason I refuse to trade... greed.

I traded someone 60 hatchies for Zombie fodder in return for a CB Gold. Are you saying that I'm stupid or desperate? Personally I think it turned out wonderful--I have a lovely Gold and that person now has all the Zombie fodder they need for this year. lP

Refusing to trade makes you miss out on a fun part of the game for no good reason. If you think someone's asking an absurd price then, uh, just trade with someone else, don't throw your hands up at trading in general...

AHEM, to get back on topic. I'm alright with this idea, although I'm not really desperate to see it implemented, either. A few thoughts:

- To those who say it ruins the 'raising' aspect of the game--someone has to raise those adults to begin with. The only major difference between trading ER hatchies and adults is that one trade can be done potentially years after the dragon grew up. I suppose you could say sticking ER hatchies in an ER to grow them up is 'working to raise them,' but I don't consider it much of a job, haha.

- This would allow trading for discontinued dragons like Frills and Bright Pinks, or for CB Holidays from past releases. Will some people demand huge prices? Sure, but 1) you can always not trade with them if you don't think it's worth it and 2) there's already some pretty huge prices being paid for 2nd gens from CB Hollies and there's decent prices paid for offspring from 2nd gen Frills/Old Pinks, so I don't think it'd be a huge change if suddenly the adults themselves could be traded. But what I think is most important here is--it'd let new players have a chance to get discontinued dragons, no matter how limited those chances might be.

- I realize that some people find the idea of an adult dragon agreeing to be traded silly, but... DC is full of silly logic. Our intelligent adult dragons on a daily basis allow us to toss their kids into the wild to die or have vampires bite their eggs or make them breed with dragons they hate (Turps and Luminas, anyone?). So while it might be a bit illogical, I don't think it's intolerable. That being said, I still think there's some logic in it anyway--if a dragon really wanted, it could easily squish you. Accordingly, it could also easily squish the other person if it wanted. But perhaps the dragon views its relationship with people as more of an alliance than an ownership, and respecting your opinion, agrees to go and ally with the other person for whatever reason. If people STILL question that logic, then perhaps there can be a chance of failure where the dragon either refuses to leave you or ditches you both for the wilderness or something to that nature. Trader beware!

So yah. There'd be some nice things from this, there'd be some negatives, so I'm generally neutral on this. ^^

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Gifting and Regifting is in no way distinguishable from IOU trading.

So saying " this would only be useful as a gifting program" is like saying "transfers are only used for gifting." If you limit the amount of gifts, it would just make the asking prices even higher, since you can do it only x times.

I say no, for one main reason.

There will obviously not be frills and bright pinks and old CB holidays going to all or even many of the players.

There will be such a small amount of those. I just can't imagine (if I were a younger player) and now being able to complete my scroll --

but knowing that my chances of doing that are pretty much zero.

That's pretty depressing honestly.

Yeah, a few people would get the chance, but not anywhere ever ever near the majority.

It's like dangling super-special candy from a 1000 foot tree with no branches.

I say no, for one main reason.

There will obviously not be frills and bright pinks and old CB holidays going to all or even many of the players.

There will be such a small amount of those. I just can't imagine (if I were a younger player) and now being able to complete my scroll --

but knowing that my chances of doing that are pretty much zero.

That's pretty depressing honestly.

Yeah, a few people would get the chance, but not anywhere ever ever near the majority.

It's like dangling super-special candy from a 1000 foot tree with no branches.

What's worse, never being able to fully complete your scroll or only having a very slim shot at doing so? wink.gif

Plus the chances of getting rare things like Hollies are already exceedingly slim...

The chance of getting a caveborn holiday of any kind this way is pretty much nil to start with. The only way for it to happen would be if TJ manually removed them from abandoned scrolls and gifted them to folk.

Because I don't know anyone in their right mind who is going to give away a cb Holly. And trying to trade for one would be so frustrating that it wouldn't be worth it in the end. You'd be so busy trying to raise dragons to pay off the debt, that you'd never have time to play for your own game until the debt was paid off.

Trading adults in general would be cheap and easy in contrast, and makes more sense than trading eggs to start with.

The chance of getting a caveborn holiday of any kind this way is pretty much nil to start with. The only way for it to happen would be if TJ manually removed them from abandoned scrolls and gifted them to folk.

Because I don't know anyone in their right mind who is going to give away a cb Holly. And trying to trade for one would be so frustrating that it wouldn't be worth it in the end. You'd be so busy trying to raise dragons to pay off the debt, that you'd never have time to play for your own game until the debt was paid off.

Trading adults in general would be cheap and easy in contrast, and makes more sense than trading eggs to start with.

This pretty much sums up my feelings about this. Although I would love to be able to trade for a CB holiday, for ANY holidays, even.....it would be a pain considering the amount of debt you'd be in to try and pay it off.

So it's a no from me, sorry.

I'm actually kinda okay with trading adults, at least limited at first. I wouldn't mind trying to get a bright pink even though I don't particularly like them much. There wouldn't be much harm in trying it out to see how it works. Contests were completely out of the question but we had one anyway. Despite how I hated the results (and still do), at least DC is trying something new and testing the waters.

So...wait, am I reading this right?

People are rejecting this idea because they personally don't want to pay the prices for the rarer dragons?

I say yes to this idea because, while I wouldn't be willing to pay the prices for CB holidays/bright pinks/frills either, I'm excited at the prospect of what I could do for other users.

Yes, low-gen tinsels, CB holidays, bright pinks, and frills would be expensive, but there are more dragon breeds than just those and to reject this suggestion simply because of those dragons just...doesn't make any sense to me. At all.

@Derranged but would people even really bother to try for anything else???

I mean really it seems like the main use of this would be to try to attempt to get dragons that were no longer available. I mean anyone can get a common most could eventually get uncommon and rare and with a lil extra time one could get the ultra rare

@Derranged but would people even really bother to try for anything else???

The older users might not, but I'm sure newer users would love to be gifted someone's extra trio, stripe, black, ect.

It's harder to find eggs of the more uncommon breeds these days to trade or gift to people who don't have them yet, but there are plenty of the adults around.

If we can trade adults,then we can trade cb holidays(including CB hollys),even cb tinsels.

I don't like that.I have missed frill and a lot of cb holiday,and I will never have a chance to get them.I'd like to have them,but that's DC.That's the value of holiday dragons.you will miss something,but you will always get something new.

So,I don't think it's a good idea.

I think it would be nice to be able to gift a limited number of adults. Will some people abuse it for trading? Of course, but I don't think that is a good reason to reject the idea completely. If you don't like it don't gift an adult. If you get begging PM's report them.

As I mentioned, I'm ok with the idea of being able to TRADE adults, but if people would be more open to the idea if it was just GIFTING adults, perhaps it would be a requirement that only one dragon could be gifted per one month of absence?

Requiring a month's absence per adult dragon gifted would accomplish a few things:

- People wouldn't be able to hack scrolls and transfer a bunch of adults away at once

- People who were debating quitting and then decided against it wouldn't completely cripple themselves if they started giving dragons away for a while and then came back, because they simply wouldn't have been able to gift away all that many dragons.

- Artificial 'trading' of adults for rares would be severely restricted, as people would have to give up a month of play time in order to send an adult dragon over to someone.

- People who have more or less quit the game would be able to pop back in after a year or two and send away a bunch of adult dragons at once. Since I imagine one of the main reasons this was suggested is so that people who've quit can transfer over their now-unused dragons to friends who will still enjoy them, this seems fitting.

So...wait, am I reading this right?

People are rejecting this idea because they personally don't want to pay the prices for the rarer dragons?

I, for one, just don't think it is a good idea. If nothing else, it's not like finding your adult dog a new home, it's more like trying to find a new home for a wild tiger who only tolerates you. It would be rather likely to kill the new "owner" and run away to the wilds, or just run away.

As to the in-game aspects, you have as much as two weeks to trade if you're careful. That's plenty of time. With adult transfers you could catch a CB gold, grow it to adulthood, then spend months waiting for the "perfect" trade you demand, even demand more for it because it's already an adult at that. As to the cheaper trades people talk about as being most of the traffic, how much would they really be done? There's a certain amount of "trade x uncommon for 5 common hatchlings" things [although that's probably less with the IOU killing rule since you'd only be able to do it with people who have the hatchlings on hand or in private] but is that moving to adults really enough to justify a whole new system that completely changes how the game works?

Really, for me it's just a little too convenient. It takes all urgency away from trading, and anyone who says it's only gifting is deluding themselves.

Ahem...

This topic is about GIFTING the adults and frozen hatchlings/eggs. Of course you can report begging and if you do not want to gift anything then you wouldn't have to. I just thought it would be a nice thing to do at Christmas- giving joy to a player by giving them a dragon, be it inbred tinsel or 2nd gen magma. This isn't about trading the dragons, and of course there WILL have to be limits on however many dragons you can trade. The gifting can be totally anonymous, like the letters last Valentines. And if you don't want to pay anything for an adult/frozen, then you don't have to and you can go and look for another offer.

SO please go read the first post if you haven't already, because I believe many have just posted their opinions biased upon the last reply, and not really considered our free will on what we can and want to trade. Remember, you don't have to do anything if you don't want to. It's NOT a mandatory event.

Edited by ShadowRift

I don't really like this idea. One thing is that it goes with a lot of work. Second one is that it would destroy DC climat. I mean when we could trade adult dragons or frozen it's not the same as now, when we can only trade eggs or hatchies. We accept an egg and it grows up with us (you know what I mean xd.png). Even If it would be for one day, I'm saying no.

Ahem...

This topic is about GIFTING the adults and frozen hatchlings/eggs. Of course you can report begging and if you do not want to gift anything then you wouldn't have to. I just thought it would be a nice thing to do at Christmas- giving joy to a player by giving them a dragon, be it inbred tinsel or 2nd gen magma. This isn't about trading the dragons, and of course there WILL have to be limits on however many dragons you can trade. The gifting can be totally anonymous, like the letters last Valentines. And if you don't want to pay anything for an adult/frozen, then you don't have to and you can go and look for another offer.

SO go read the first post if you haven't already, because I believe many have just posted their opinions biased upon the last reply, and not really considered our free will on what we can and want to trade. Remember, you don't have to do anything if you don't want to. It's NOT a mandatory event.

Ahem. I did so read your first post, and I still think that when you raise a dragon to adulthood it is kind of grown up and not up for buying and selling (or even gifting) - the day we are allowed to give away our human relatives I will buy into this one. Not before.

We raise our dragons patiently - that's the game - and we can never have everything. (though if this does come in I expect a DELUGE of old pinks, please biggrin.gif as compensation !)

Ahem...

This topic is about GIFTING the adults and frozen hatchlings/eggs. event.

No one denied your intent.

Still, the intent of transfers is also to gift, and not to do IOU-Trades.

Just looking at the Signatures of many people here can tell you, how it is (in reality) used as well. smile.gif

Making it a one time a year event makes it only more expensive for those willing to trade. 8 CB Metallics for a CB Holly?

Cheap for some. Especially if the one giving the Holly aren't that much interested in trading. One big trade like that and you'll never have need again. And you can re-breed a second gen for the sprites on your scroll.

What I am wanting to say is that this should be a spontaneous event, lasting only a couple of days. I realise that people can do IOUs and stuff like that, but it's just an idea, and I want the citizens of dragon cave to be a lot more about giving and the good of it.

There are zillions of gifting threads, and this place is SO generous I really don't see that as a reason to change things. When I recently mentioned in a thread that I needed ONE particular egg - I was gifted 6 of them within hours ! I have received loads of other gifts, both spontaneous out of the blue ones (you know who you are, most recent person !!!) and as a result of wishes posted in my sig. I have glomped. I have been glomped. I think most people here have - except the ones who BEG....

This place is very generous and giving indeed.

What I am wanting to say is that this should be a spontaneous event, lasting only a couple of days. I realise that people can do IOUs and stuff like that, but it's just an idea, and I want the citizens of dragon cave to be a lot more about giving and the good of it.

Having just done the Halloween Gifting as co-organizer:

People are very generous on here. Almost too generous in some places.

People could ask politely in this thread for almost everything except CB Metals or NDs and would get them within hours. Multiple times over. Second gen silvers, CB trios... name your vices and they'd be present somewhere in just this single event.

I agree, that a hidden gifting function would be nice, but I'd do it differently if it is just about the gifting spirit: EGGs or Hatchies could be sent that way, to a special event-breeding scroll for each player, probably limited to 3-5 creatures. That way, you can receive anonymous gifts like with the valentines cards, and it would not be intended as something that ultimately changes the rules like gifting adults.