TJ09

2011-12-25 - Happy Holidays

Wonderful job on the sprites, earthgirl. They are gorgeous- absolutely gorgeous.

<3

So glad that I got to participate in this Holiday release, unlike last year. Who knows why but I totally forgot about DC and missed both the Marrows and the Ribbon Dancers T__T

*huggles WM babies*

Not too long now until mine grow up! smile.gif I'm definitely very excited to see the lovely sprites on my scroll. And I can't wait to see Earthgirl's matured alt either. I'm sure it'll look as fantastic as the regular ones!

Wow I really like these! I don't know why everyone has to argue over something small on a beautiful dragon that I think looks perfectly fine. biggrin.gif It has amazing detail too. biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure this argument is over the front claws, right? I look at it and see a foot with several claws so they can grip things, kinda like the pokemon Rayquaza. biggrin.gif Plus, does anyone know for sure what a dragon would look like? I don't see why the artist can't just decide how the dragon would look and not be compared to other dragons. It's not a problem of whether or not it would be physically possible, it's just some people think dragons can't be like that. How do you know?

Also, what are they being called? biggrin.gif

One of mine gendered! biggrin.gif Unlike some people who choose to freeze their hatchies at S1 or 2, I'm letting both of mine grow up, like the rest of my holiday dragons :3 I figure, more to spread the joy next year happy.gif I can't wait for my hatchie to grow up. I'm going to have a hard time finding a suitable mate for it though xd.png

*looks at adult sprite*

*looks at forum*

*looks at adult sprite*

*looks at forum again, this time with bemused eyes*

Wow, and I thought I was a nitpicky li'l wench. (I still do, of course, but apparently I have a few things yet to learn about the mastery of picking a nit. laugh.gif ) I see absolutely nothing wrong with the anatomy of the new dragon, and I reckon if I could pry it forth from the screen and plop it onto my living room table, it would prove quite able to both walk and fly with no real difficulty. Well, except that it would be covered in inquisitive cats within the first ten seconds, but that's hardly a failure of design.

I'm thinking of pairing mine with a blue ridgewing, since they seem to have a lot in common, and the colors would be complementary.

Earthgirl, you "done good". smile.gif

Okay... so. -.-

1. What is wrong with a dragon that has the body structure of every living creature(including dragons) - that is head, body, 2 front limbs, 2 back limbs. And also, those limbs have fingers. Every creature has fingers at the end of their limbs and that makes them look more or less like hands/feet.

2. True that the Winter Magi have larger front legs. I meant them to be the way they are. I though it looked cuter on them and besides, the dragons can hold larger objects thanks to them. It also helps them climb or anchor on large rocks when they want to rest.

3. Define 'busy'. I don't think the sprite is 'busy'. Detailed, yes, but not ...busy. -.- Maybe that is just me. I like detailed sprites that are less cartoon-y and more close to realistic. I've worked A LOT to get where I am.

I know I can't please everyone out there with my spriting style, because it's impossible to do that. There is no such thing as 'perfect'.

Pwew. -.-

My dragons will grow up tomorrow, omigosh! =O ^_^

Is it odd to say this is one of my most favored parts of the sprite~? Eets so cute~ I keep one of TJ's adult ones open until mine grow up [tomorrow around noon] because its just so awesome <3 I... still don't know what to mate mine with D: I did name them though~

I for one think the new christmas dragons are cute and gorgeous at the same time. can't wait for mine to grow up! smile.gif

*haven't logged onto the forum in about two years. surprised I remembered the log in data.*

Okay... so. -.-

1. What is wrong with a dragon that has the body structure of every living creature(including dragons) - that is head, body, 2 front limbs, 2 back limbs. And also, those limbs have fingers. Every creature has fingers at the end of their limbs and that makes them look more or less like hands/feet.

2. True that the Winter Magi have larger front legs. I meant them to be the way they are. I though it looked cuter on them and besides, the dragons can hold larger objects thanks to them. It also helps them climb or anchor on large rocks when they want to rest.

3. Define 'busy'. I don't think the sprite is 'busy'. Detailed, yes, but not ...busy. -.- Maybe that is just me. I like detailed sprites that are less cartoon-y and more close to realistic. I've worked A LOT to get where I am.

I know I can't please everyone out there with my spriting style, because it's impossible to do that. There is no such thing as 'perfect'.

Pwew. -.-

My dragons will grow up tomorrow, omigosh! =O happy.gif

(I'm looking right now to the adult sprite,with zoom and normal, so I can give a better critic)

1. Dragons are not living beings found in nature,but legenday creatures. I understand we have to get some basis in the nature though. But the true is that the upper part of their body looks too human-like,and it distracts and confuses me a lot,since the dragon as such a perfect,cute dragon-y face and gorgerous wings.

2. The larger front legs makes the dragon look negatively odd. If they were slimmer and maybe in other pose,it would change positively the dragon.To climb,a animal doesn't need to have large arms,it only needs to be light,have good claws and balance.

3. Busy,is when a lot is going on. The belly colors are way too much,and the fact that the dragon have yellow back legs makes it look like it is some part of the wings. So the dragon seems to have a large breast,neck and front legs,and the rest of its body is only a colored tail. I believe that those areas sold be slimmer,specially the neck,and change the color of the back legs will make the dragon looks less busy and confusing.

I really love this dragon,it has so much potential,is so cute,but it needs many fixes.

I know that anything can't be perfect; that's not what I'm suggesting,but some fixes would make this dragon stunning ^^

Lol wow

Guess it wouldn't be a holiday without the customary complaint group rolleyes.gif

I for one adore the sprite <3

Nice job earthgirl!

It is done waaaaay better then some of the complainers could do I am sure.

Seriously guys with as much complaints as get tossed around during these events it is a wonder the spriters keep doing them at all.

And people wonder why there is a lack in spriters on this site?

Tough crowd xP

There always seems to be room for more and more complaints nowadays. Considering it is a free game with wonderful talented people giving us beautiful artwork to collect and not only that but TJ with more amazing peeps has made the past Halloween and Christmas even more special, sometimes it does appear we all have to be opinionated but contribute nothing!

The game is wonderful, the Christmas dragon is wonderful and this event this Christmas has been wonderful with the wreaths and stories to discover on the lead up to Christmas. I am excited to wait for the winners on New Years and good luck to everyone in the raffle.

Bring on new wonderful sprites for 2012 and lets keep the community going smile.gif

Alexiel Dragoness I have no idea which problems you have with the dragon, in my eyes and in the eyes in many other people it is one of the most beautiful dragons in the dc.

There always seems to be room for more and more complaints nowadays. Considering it is a free game with wonderful talented people giving us beautiful artwork to collect and not only that but TJ with more amazing peeps has made the past Halloween and Christmas even more special, sometimes it does appear we all have to be opinionated but contribute nothing!

The game is wonderful, the Christmas dragon is wonderful and this event this Christmas has been wonderful with the wreaths and stories to discover on the lead up to Christmas. I am excited to wait for the winners on New Years and good luck to everyone in the raffle.

Bring on new wonderful sprites for 2012 and lets keep the community going smile.gif

^ THIS

I am grateful for the talented spriters we have and for all the hard work and emotion and talent that makes each and every one of these sprites special in a way.

And a big hats off to TJ for keeping this place running like he does.

Thank you all very much for your hard work not only for this event but for the entirety of this year.

Give yourselves a pat on the back. Thank you all very much <3

This place always provides such a wonderful distraction and stability for me in a life that is quite a bit chaotic and for that I really can't thank any of you enough. ^^ <3

^ THIS

I am grateful for the talented spriters we have and for all the hard work and emotion and talent that makes each and every one of these sprites special in a way.

And a big hats off to TJ for keeping this place running like he does.

Thank you all very much for your hard work not only for this event but for the entirety of this year.

Give yourselves a pat on the back. Thank you all very much <3

This place always provides such a wonderful distraction and stability for me in a life that is quite a bit chaotic and for that I really can't thank any of you enough. ^^ <3

I totally agree!

Thanks to everyone who gives us these wonderful dragons and thanks for keeping the site running!

If any dragon was human-like, I would say the Nebulas were, especially the green.

I do agree with you about the green nebulas. It bothers me with them too.

I guess I'm just not bothered by these alleged "flaws" on this or any other dragon. I'm just excited to have a pretty new sprite. I mean, something done for FREE for the pleasure of others is hard for me to criticize.

I like these guys! Great job on the wings and the head. Such detail in such a small space is not easy. They remind me of wrapping paper, or perhaps a New Years decoration.

Lol wow

Guess it wouldn't be a holiday without the customary complaint group rolleyes.gif

I for one adore the sprite <3

Nice job earthgirl!

It is done waaaaay better then some of the complainers could do I am sure.

Seriously guys with as much complaints as get tossed around during these events it is a wonder the spriters keep doing them at all.

And people wonder why there is a lack in spriters on this site?

Tough crowd xP

Complaining =/= critiquing and giving honest opinions. =/

This is why I don't post much. Now I feel belittled by those who do not agree. It is an opinion. Just because you think it is perfect doesn't everyone has to feel that way. It is an opinion, no one is right or wrong. But that doesn't mean you have to put those who think differently down. I have see it said many times by spriters that they want concrit. That is what was given.

I really like the adult sprite. I will give that the belly stripes are sort of busy and make the belly-tail base transition seem a touch odd, but Christmas is by a nature a busy season- Christmas trees with dozens of ornaments, flashing lights and both red and green, everything is meant to grab attention at this time of year. The busyness works because the concept allows for it.

The belly stripes are a touch much and make the belly-tail base transition look as if the tail is more centered than toward the back of the dragon, but it is such a pretty sprite as it stands that I'm more than willing to overlook that.

I have see it said many times by spriters that they want concrit. That is what was given.

There is a difference between solicited critique and unsolicited critique.

I'm only stating a fact.

Edited by earthgirl

Good golly gee it is gorgeous. Nine hours till mine grow up.

Dear spriters it looks fantastic!!!! I'm so glad I have two in my cave now!!

Aw! I'm sorry I said anything now! I certainly didn't mean my comments to be upsetting -- I was only agreeing that the arms/shoulders/hands look more humanoid than lizard/cat/insertotheranimalhere. That doesn't even mean they're *wrong!* It's just the design.

I'm an artist, went to college for it and everything, so I know what it's like when people get extra critical for no reason. I'm definitely sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. I like the sprite, I think you did a *great* job on it, it looks impressive and magical and I really love the shape that the wings create; it has a lot of "stage presence!"

You're absolutely right. Requesting critique is a different circumstance from releasing a completed piece of art. I think that some of the previous comments have been respectful and objective, but others have been pointless. There is simply no reason to enter a thread *solely* to say "I don't like it" about someone's artwork. That's just insulting.

Let me say again that I really DO like the dragon! Very much! And I think "detailed" is probably the better word than "busy," in this case. It's not "too" busy, it's just full of small details, but I think you worked them into a whole very well, and the shading keeps the features and form clear, despite the patterns and varied colors.

P.S. I'd focus on the fact that *several* players have stated that now they have a new favorite dragon! wink.gif

Edited by Kelkelen

Well, except that it would be covered in inquisitive cats within the first ten seconds, but that's hardly a failure of design.

OMG, that made me actually LOL and I scared our poor bird half to death. xd.png

Why can't they be adults right now so I can breed them?! *slightly impatient*

I really do love these and I might be alone here, but one of the things I like best is the differences, both anatomical and color-wise, to some of the other dragons. That's actually something I love about all the dragons we have here (even the ones that aren't necessarily my favorites) - that we get to see such a range of people's interpretations of what dragons could be. Which isn't to say that everyone isn't entitled to their own opinion, tastes always vary, but I guess I don't get the "they should have ___ type characteristics", because dragons are perceived differently by all sorts of cultures, so why not by the artists?

I guess it's just, for me personally, I feel like I'm getting a fuller experience when I have some dragons that are subtle, some bold, some fierce, some cute, some wildly animalistic, some less so, etc. But I guess we all have our own drummers' beats to march to. smile.gif