tridymite

Message that eggs will Auto=AP

While a line added to the breed function wouldn't bother me, I don't think this is needed. There's already a limits page that you can check if the egg that you're about to breed means that much to you. It doesn't take that much time. I check that page all the time just to be sure that I'm not miscounting how many growing dragons I have. Unless the line is in big bold red letters, how many people would even notice that there are a few extra words there though? There's another game that I play that has a pop-up window to confirm sales and there are quite a few people who still either misprice things or put things up for sale that they wanted to keep.

Personally I don't think it is handholding. I guess I can see how it might be seen as such, but I don't think it is. Now, if it's something that totally stops you from breeding because it will auto (that is, a warning/confirmation box coming up and asking if you really want to breed, or something that totally stops it outright), then yes that's totally handholding. But an unobtrusive message at the end of the default "breed" message personally doesn't sound like handholding. It's about as much handholding as the "(You can use this action x more times before waiting for a few weeks)" or the This action is irreversible, and will cause the hatchling/adult to lose its name messages, imo. Maybe that's technically handholding, too, but I don't think it's excessive in that case.

The message will also be just long enough for someone to not even have to read it to notice that it will auto. It still won't catch everyone, but I think it's a fine compromise between a warning box/something totally stopping you from breeding and nothing at all.

This. I agree with Sci.

I am not sure I see it as 'handholding'. No more so than some of the other things that happen in the cave. Though more extreme measures to prevent autoing certainly could BECOME such. A message warning that the egg will auto might be helpful. BUT I certainly wouldn't want to be stopped entirely from breeding or having to confirm it. There are times that I deliberately breed eggs to the AP so that others can find them.

Should people check? Yes, the probably should... but sometimes people forget.

I know for a fact that I have, and it lead to someone else having a lucky day when they found a second gen Avatar of Change on the AP. In fact, I'd be willing to bet nearly everyone has auto'd an egg they intended to keep at some point or another. It happens. AND @ MedievalMystic- What game are you referring to? That sounds like a pretty unforgiving game. NOT the kind of thing I am sure I would want to play. IMO losing an egg to autoing is a thing, annoying certainly, that happens to most of us.... losing ALL of your pets because you maybe COULDN'T get on to check on them would be annoying to say the least.

Edited by Silverswift

Someone will soon get a pretty 2g avatar of change I bred the other day... xd.png I did check. Then after I did my thing, I decided to breed my IOUs. I didn't think to check again !

I am still not pro this suggestion, though I can live with it as long as it does ONLY have a few words and no extra screens, passwords etc...

AND @ MedievalMystic- What game are you referring to? That sounds like a pretty unforgiving game. NOT the kind of thing I am sure I would want to play. IMO losing an egg to autoing is a thing, annoying certainly, that happens to most of us.... losing ALL of your pets because you maybe COULDN'T get on to check on them would be annoying to say the least.

I don't want to mention the game, but yes, it's pretty unforgiving. But I understand where they're coming from. If you're gone awhile, they expect you to PM a friend or make arrangements to have someone feed for you. A lot of people in game offer that service. In their view, it's not just a game, it's about responsibility. If someone pisses and moans in the forums about losing pets, most responses are 'What happens if you forget to pay your bills? What happens if you forget to turn in school work? What happens if you don't feed your RL dog for 20 days?' Yeah, games are supposed to be fun and relaxing, and they are, but there's also a 'consequences of your own actions' concept to almost all the games I play, too.

I mean, what's next? Are people suddenly going to demand that TJ send them personal PMs in their mailboxes, reminding them a day or two in advance that a release is coming in case they forget about it and forget to check the forums, so they don't miss the whole thing? Do people need constant reminders from others that they owe eggs to?

I can understand needing a reminder if you don't do a thing very often or only once in a blue moon. But breeding is something people do all the time.

But whatever. I don't see this as a necessary thing, but if that's what people need, so be it. I breed eggs for the AP when I'm locked on purpose, so I don't have to hassle with typing in 'abandon' 20 times. As long as this pop up or whatever doesn't interfere with people being able to do that, I really don't care either way. If something pops up that asks me 20 times if I'm SURE I want to abandon the egg and I end up having to type in YES 20 times, that's going to get old real quick.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I breed eggs for the AP when I'm locked on purpose, so I don't have to hassle with typing in 'abandon' 20 times.  As long as this pop up or whatever doesn't interfere with people being able to do that, I really don't care either way.  If something pops up that asks me 20 times if I'm SURE I want to abandon the egg and I end up having to type in YES 20 times, that's going to get old real quick.

And I have to agree on this part.

That is why, I think, I would prefer a bit of text addeed to the breeding message only... no extra popups or the like.

A warning, nothing more. Just a "Breed...Blah, blah blah. An egg producedwill be auto abandoned."

Edited by Silverswift

If something pops up that asks me 20 times if I'm SURE I want to abandon the egg and I end up having to type in YES 20 times, that's going to get old real quick.

I do agree with this bit, but as long it's not a pop-up and more just a little message saying "hey this will auto-abandon if it works" seems like it would be unobtrusive while still accomplishing the goal. =)

I am older, a whole lot older than most of the people on this site. . smile.gif

On another game I play if you forget to feed your pets you lose them. It doesn't matter if you spent real money to get them either, which is an option on that site. Forget to feed for a certain amount of time, about 20 days, and you'll come on there one day and every pet you own has disappeared out of your barn.

Well it's good that you don't have those problems because they make life a lot more difficult.

DC is something I like because it's not complicated and frustrating with a lot silly hoops to jump through or puzzles to solve or quests that have to be completed or things that have become increasingly difficult as my memory gets worse. I don't think this feature would interfere with game play and at some point I might find it useful or maybe even necessary.

I do not see it as similar to your pet game because that is a bit different. Now if you had said a pet runs away and you lose it the first time you forget to feed it, I would agree, immediate negative consequence. But that is more like forgetting to put your egg in a site to get views and it dies. I can see the point of negative results for neglecting your responsibility for days on end, but maybe not so much for a momentary lapse of "oops, I forgot to check before I hit that button."

I am older, a whole lot older than most of the people on this site. . :)

On another game I play if you forget to feed your pets you lose them. It doesn't matter if you spent real money to get them either, which is an option on that site. Forget to feed for a certain amount of time, about 20 days, and you'll come on there one day and every pet you own has disappeared out of your barn. POOF! Gone. And that's that. Sure, you can get them back...for a cost. It's so expensive to get back an entire barn full of pets that most people can't, they can only get back a few favorites. But if you forget to feed and the pets disappear, the site's attitude is that's on you. They hold people to be responsible there, as it should be, imo. Sure, you get people in the forums sometimes complaining and crying 'NOT FAIR' about it, but they're shot down pretty quickly and don't get an ounce of sympathy from anybody. You're expected to be responsible, simple as that and nobody cares about your excuses. Forget on that site and you start to remember REAL quick. I think the same should hold true here. *shrug*

Do they tell you that they will run if you don't feed them? Because that would be all we're asking of here. It's still not preventing you from accidentally autoing an egg (or making you feed your pet), it's just telling you that you happen to be full and if you happened to breed now, the egg will auto (like the site giving an indication of how hungry your pet is and that it will run away if it's not fed).

Personally I don't think it's "unforgiving". It's a game balancing mechanic and makes the game feel a bit more real without it being totally real.

I don't see what the big deal is here, really. Yes, we should be responsible and check ourselves before breeding, but people make mistakes. Yes, egg-limits are stated elsewhere, but you know what? So is the sickness message. There is NO real reason for that sickness message to appear on your scroll, since it's also available when you check individual dragons. But it's there, anyways, an easier way of doing things. This is really no different then that.

DC is something I like because it's not complicated and frustrating with a lot silly hoops to jump through or puzzles to solve or quests that have to be completed or things that have become increasingly difficult as my memory gets worse.

What age range are you in? What you're describing is worrisome. If you're having difficulty with those kinds of things and your memory keeps getting worse, something is up and you need to see a doctor. I have a lot of reason to be concerned when someone, especially someone that's older, mentions memory loss issues.

Do they tell you that they will run if you don't feed them?

Yeah, in the TOS at the beginning of the game.

Like I said, if this is what people need, fine, as long as we don't have to type in 'yes' to it all the time. Like some have mentioned, some simple note saying the egg will auto abandon if bred would be alright and something I could live with. I just don't want to have to hassle with pop up's that ask you if you're sure all the time and having to answer it 100 times whenever I breed...

Like I said, if this is what people need, fine, as long as we don't have to type in 'yes' to it all the time. Like some have mentioned, some simple note saying the egg will auto abandon if bred would be alright and something I could live with. I just don't want to have to hassle with pop up's that ask you if you're sure all the time and having to answer it 100 times whenever I breed...

Oh gosh no. While I personally don't mind the pop-ups too much, the ones for Influence and Incubate are annoying, especially when we're already inputting out password (or the action name). :\ For breeding, in some cases I wouldn't mind the pop-up, but since I like to breed to purposefully auto, I'd rather not have anything extra to stop me!

Unless the line is in big bold red letters, how many people would even notice that there are a few extra words there though?

*raises hand* I would notice that the line was longer. That's the kind of stuff I notice. =p

Perhaps if the line was entered as a new line below the breed stuff rather than just at the end of the sentence.

Breed Breed this dragon with a male, potentially producing eggs.

Any eggs produced will be automatically abandoned due to space limits.

instead of

Breed Breed this dragon with a male, potentially producing eggs. Any eggs produced will be automatically abandoned due to space limits.

What age range are you in? What you're describing is worrisome. If you're having difficulty with those kinds of things and your memory keeps getting worse, something is up and you need to see a doctor. I have a lot of reason to be concerned when someone, especially someone that's older, mentions memory loss issues.

I will turn 70 this year. I have always been absent minded. IF it is a small sentence, which people could easily miss, yes - that's still more than we have now - I don't WANT it but, I can live with it.

But even though I imagine I am getting more forgetful, a bleeding great red banner saying YOU WILL LOSE THIS EGG IF YOU BREED IT would REALLY hack me off. And if we'd have some extra click to do - please no no no no !

Anyone got that pretty avatar I autod the other day ?? xd.png

I check my egg limits most of the time and I do not breed for the AP often. I do not care much about getting a message, but I am not against it.

But I do have to wonder why people state it would be "hand-holding" or "destroying the game by making things easier"....it's just a text and DC is originally not a very enthralling game if you ask me. I have been playing for over a year now and I had/have some phases where it really bores me, I'm somewhat in such a phase at the moment actually, prefer to stay out of the internet as much as possible and read books. Most exciting DC-related thing recently was successfully creating NDs but apart from that? Hmm.

(Still, I think I will be playing DC for a while because I like how simple it is...)

Edited by Mondat

*raises hand* I would notice that the line was longer. That's the kind of stuff I notice. =p

Perhaps if the line was entered as a new line below the breed stuff rather than just at the end of the sentence. [...]

I do think that having a notice that's not too visible is a good thing. The notice is there and you do not have an excuse for missing a spot check, right there on the same page.

It would mean that while there is a notice, you still need to pay some attention to utilize it.

I do think that having a notice that's not too visible is a good thing. The notice is there and you do not have an excuse for missing a spot check, right there on the same page.

It would mean that while there is a notice, you still need to pay some attention to utilize it.

Then someone would say the notice isn't noticeable enough smile.gif .

My personal opinion- I like how it is right now. There's already the do it yourself option to check if you're locked or not. If I'm paranoid I'll check. If I don't check and auto abandon something I needed, then that's my own fault. Will it teach me a lesson the first time? Probably not. Making mistakes is part of the game..well part of life too. But of course life has nothing to do with this tongue.gif

EDIT

Introduce a pop-up feature, so that when your egg limit is reached and you breed two dragons, it will let you know you reached the limit, and will then ask you if you wish to proceed.

Facing the issue of getting my eggs abandoned when I reach the egg limit from not noticing I hit it when I breed dragons...

Edited by Ravencrime

Warning message that eggs will auto suggestion.

A lot of us purposefully breed when locked to send eggs to the AP. Completely removing the ability to breed when locked would just hurt a lot of people's games.

It is your responsibility to check if you are locked or not if you want to keep bred eggs or go hunting. If you click on your trophy, you can even easily check if you are locked or not without having to worry about miscounting or forgetting about any dead eggs that are still counting or anything.

I will support a pop up as a compromise but I absolutely do not support getting rid of breeding while locked altogether.

You can check your limits here, to help you remember if you're locked or not: http://dragcave.net/help/egglimits

You can also try temporarily renaming the parents to something like "I lost this egg" / "Plz return to Ravencrime on forum." Doesn't always work, but is worth a shot.

I'm against removing the breed button instantly when locked; I sometimes breed when locked specifically to send nice eggs to the abandoned page for people without having to abandon them one by one. I'm neutral on it being an account setting people can choose to turn on or off. On the one hand I think we've all accidentally abandoned something at one point or another that we regret, but on the other hand it's not that hard to keep track of limits.

No support. I often breed when I am locked deliberately, to gift to the AP. If I couldn't breed when I was locked I would do a lot less breeding and gifting and I know this is true of many other players. Maybe a good compromise would be a toggleable, opt-in feature, so that people like the OP could turn it on so they wouldn't have to worry about it and those of us who want to be able to breed when locked would be able to keep playing as normal?

Some people do this on purpose, though.

Instead of anything annoying like a pop-up, there's another suggestion (that I can't find) for the breed action's text line to change when you're locked but not actually stop you.

Either way, popup or text change, I just get stressed out when I lose my eggs. It would just be nice if there was a warning, cause they never give you one. And trying to get them back is nearly impossible once they're gone.

Edited by Ravencrime

Either way, popup or text change, I just get stressed out when I lose my eggs. It would just be nice if there was a warning, cause they never give you one. And trying to get them back is nearly impossible once they're gone.

Well, no. I have autoed several eggs. The ones that mattered, I renamed the parents and every single one was returned to me - not even with a request for reward or anything.

Well, no. I have autoed several eggs. The ones that mattered, I renamed the parents and every single one was returned to me - not even with a request for reward or anything.

The common eggs yes, but I've seen people try to get super rares that were auto-ed back, and threaten the user if they don't return it. So yea, commons, even uncommons, can get returned that way, but asking someone to give up a rare / super rare they caught fair and square is just rude, I think.

For this suggestion, I'm fairly sure I've posted in the past. But, long and short is, an extra line or something, or an alert mark, or something, is fine. But I absolutely do NOT want an extra click or more. I'm one of those who often does breed for the AP.

Cheers!

C4.