tridymite

Message that eggs will Auto=AP

I'm with oddsoxdi and fuzzbucket (but I'm 24)

it is easy to keep count of your eggs/hatchlings or you can use the trophy link and it should be your own responsibility not TJ's

I always have shells on my scroll, I bite and experiment, if I cant remember who died how I check the trophy

This.

And add a situation like my current - when you normally put eggs not on the top but sometimes you sort some eggs where they are to end up as grown ups and you can't see them at a glance because they're somewhere among the adults and not necessairly on the 1st scroll page.

(you can check my scroll for a sample. Find 2 July release eggs placed above Xenos, so where they should end up when they grow up)

But that's your choice. And you still have the option of one little click on your trophy to check your limits.

I really don't see a need for this, either. I have accidentally abandoned a few and some of them were not easily replaceable -- like the Z code from Z code parents and grandparents! -- but I don't blame anyone or anything but myself for that! Really it isn't that hard to check.

I'm with oddsoxdi and fuzzbucket (but I'm 24)

it is easy to keep count of your eggs/hatchlings or you can use the trophy link and it should be your own responsibility not TJ's

I always have shells on my scroll, I bite and experiment, if I cant remember who died how I check the trophy

This. Plus - when in doubt, check your trophy.

Or - live with risks - that's the way things are.

This. Plus - when in doubt, check your trophy.

Or - live with risks - that's the way things are.

I've had the unfortunate mishap of not checking my limits and auto abandoning my eggs. Heck some of those have been prize eggs and Prize kin (mainly holiday prize kin and no not the remainder of the multi clutch, I mean the whole multi clutch) and while yes atuo abandoning while full is one hell of a bummer, I realized that it was totally my fault for failing to check and ensure I had the space. There is no amount of warning that will help this. People will miss it, skip it, click okay and never read it, and still complain or mention how there should be something saying that eggs are gonna auto abandon.

I mean unless you have 5 conseccutive pop ups that each have increasingly larger letters each time saying "You are full of eggs are you sure?" until you end with the final pop up basically screaming at you "YOU ARE SCROLL LOCKED ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO BREED THESE DRAGONS?" will this issue stop. I know a good number of users who would quit if this was a thing though.

Users need to stop expecting a website to hold their hand on every turn and do the work of constantly reminding them and alerting them on every single action.

Users need to stop expecting a website to hold their hand on every turn and do the work of constantly reminding them and alerting them on every single action.

I absolutely agree with that! You should be completely responsible for whatever you breed, be it little dragons or little people. dry.gif

On the other hand, as much as I hate this kind of warning message, it might slow some of the people who are doing huge mass breedings to dump in the AP. IMHO, that might be a good thing.

There is no amount of warning that will help this. People will miss it, skip it, click okay and never read it, and still complain or mention how there should be something saying that eggs are gonna auto abandon.

This. Sad but SO true xd.png

I absolutely agree with that! You should be completely responsible for whatever you breed, be it little dragons or little people. dry.gif

On the other hand, as much as I hate this kind of warning message, it might slow some of the people who are doing huge mass breedings to dump in the AP. IMHO, that might be a good thing.

Actually, that's a BAD thing in my book. tongue.gif The only way to form a wall is if the breed you are trying to wall is underpopulated enough that the ratios LET you form the wall..... And if that's the case, then that breed needs all the help it can get! Oh, and if you have enough adults of that species to form a wall. And 50 adults of even blockers isn't enough.... We are talking 200+ adults of one species. Its hard to form a huge wall.

I would loath any sort of pop-up or extra step, and don't really care about a simple line warning people.

However, I agree with Fuzz and Anomi: There is NO warning that will stop all accidental autos. And since it is your own responsibility to check that you are locked.... Other than some verbiage warning you that you are locked (NOT a pop-up or an extra step, mind you! Just some text) I would not support this. And yes, I've lost pretties myself to auto-abandon.

Cheers!

C4.

I think I can understand both sides. It's not the game's responsibility to tell you over and over that you are egglocked. There are already very simple ways to check that before breeding. If you forget, too bad. Take some responsibility for your actions.

On the other hand, a TEXT warning wouldn't bother me. I say a HUGE NO to extra steps and pop-ups, though.

Do you know when your eggshells come off cooldown at a glance, too? wink.gif

I know there are some people who don't bite, experiment, or use risky BSAs like Earthquake, and you might be one of those people, but I think you should consider the people that do, where it's not a matter of a quick glance and addition. The times I've accidentally auto-abandoned things (I think that's been two or three times in the history of my playing), it's always been due to eggshells.

Furthermore, even if people don't ever handle eggshells, I can imagine sometimes someone might be breeding in sequence, and lose track of how many of the results were eggs and how many were 'no interest' / 'no egg' / 'refusal'. I don't think that's an unusual use case? I don't find that irresponsible at all.

I'm of the sort that I obsessively check back (I click on the trophy by now, due to the eggshells experience) for basically every purpose, but while I'm OK with that, I don't see why that's necessary. It doesn't enrich the game experience for me. *shrug* smile.gif

So I'd be strongly in favour of a UI help for the people who are having troubles.

Well put.

This isn't a problem that I really have. I think I've lost an egg due to auto abandon just the once in my history on DC. But I know there are some people that it happens to quite frequently and I don't think it would be terribly difficult to implement a warning, like there is on many other aspects of the site, to make sure that people are aware they're about to make a mistake.

The problem is a text warning would still be overlooked. People would become accustomed to seeing it after some time and just overlook it, then come here and say how thats not enough and a more in your face warning is needed.

I don't know from a glance when egg shells come off cool down and I'm an avid biter but a good rule of thumb I go by is as soon as I have a dead egg I stop for a good day or more to ensure I get back that space and not miscount. There are so many simple personal rules people can work by, that people can do to avoid having auto abandons, but we want the site to give us all these little warnings and heads up to things we should already be on top of.

The problem is a text warning would still be overlooked. People would become accustomed to seeing it after some time and just overlook it, then come here and say how thats not enough and a more in your face warning is needed.

Not if it's a warning you're not used to seeing. Yes, you get into a routine of how things are supposed to go and you work off autopilot a bit, but I think the point is that this warning would interrupt the regular system/routine and that's why you'd notice it. It's not something you'd see very often so I think when it appears, you would take notice.

Yeah, the idea is that the warning text is not always there, so the change would be immediately noticed even though it's otherwise unobtrusive.

Repost from other suggestion topic:

I was just searching for a suggestion exactly like this. I support it and would like to see something simple added- even as simple as "Status:Locked" under the breeding option before you even choose a mate.

I have to say it's disheartening how many users are all too happy to benefit from the misfortune of another breeder. Saying it helps spread around rares to others is a little callous.

Otherwise, the large majority only scold the breeder, saying how easy it is to simply check your limit before breeding. For those of us that get very easily sidetracked, we probably saw a great breeding idea and went to breed it- temporarily forgetting about any other eggs on our scroll.

This very thing just happened to me since I had been waiting for the lunar calendar time when gold lunars are bred. Realizing golds were now the color of bred eggs I excitedly rushed to my breeding pair of a cb gold and gold lunar. For the first time in their many breedings (resulting in lunars), I finally got a gold egg from them! ...which was then promptly auto-abandoned because I was locked.

It was terrible! My excitement for a finally successful egg was overshadowed immediately by shock. My excitement made me forget to check my scroll and resulted in the drop. An honest mistake given my easily distracted nature. Everyone will just say to breed more, stop whining, it went to someone else... but the first successful egg is special and you shouldn't be punished or mocked by other users (as I've recently noticed is the typical response to anyone voicing a mistake or concern).

Tl;dr - something simple under your breeding action, or related, would be a nice reminder for those of us that are easily distracted. I support this.

Repost from other suggestion topic:

I was just searching for a suggestion exactly like this. I support it and would like to see something simple added- even as simple as "Status:Locked" under the breeding option before you even choose a mate.

I have to say it's disheartening how many users are all too happy to benefit from the misfortune of another breeder. Saying it helps spread around rares to others is a little callous.

Otherwise, the large majority only scold the breeder, saying how easy it is to simply check your limit before breeding. For those of us that get very easily sidetracked, we probably saw a great breeding idea and went to breed it- temporarily forgetting about any other eggs on our scroll.

This very thing just happened to me since I had been waiting for the lunar calendar time when gold lunars are bred. Realizing golds were now the color of bred eggs I excitedly rushed to my breeding pair of a cb gold and gold lunar. For the first time in their many breedings (resulting in lunars), I finally got a gold egg from them! ...which was then promptly auto-abandoned because I was locked.

It was terrible! My excitement for a finally successful egg was overshadowed immediately by shock. My excitement made me forget to check my scroll and resulted in the drop. An honest mistake given my easily distracted nature. Everyone will just say to breed more, stop whining, it went to someone else... but the first successful egg is special and you shouldn't be punished or mocked by other users (as I've recently noticed is the typical response to anyone voicing a mistake or concern).

Tl;dr - something simple under your breeding action, or related, would be a nice reminder for those of us that are easily distracted. I support this.

All of this is all I came here to say.

It's more than disheartening for me, it makes me question why I'm here a little.

We're supposed to be a community here to trade, share collecting triumphs, and compete lightly with one another in turn, when we want to. Losing a rare egg in the cave to someone else is "dang nabbit, ah well, has to be me sometime."

Losing an egg that bred properly to my bad memory or miscounting is absolutely gutting. It's more than disheartening to see people being callous about it either in the "Greater Good" or "Be Better" approach.

I support this suggestion so hard my brain aches from exertion.

Not if it's a warning you're not used to seeing. Yes, you get into a routine of how things are supposed to go and you work off autopilot a bit, but I think the point is that this warning would interrupt the regular system/routine and that's why you'd notice it. It's not something you'd see very often so I think when it appears, you would take notice.

That makes perfect sense and I'm happily supporting the suggestion. In particular because I joined the forum only to give back to the breeder one of those auto-abandoned eggs and I'm still trying to decide if that was a good move since I seem to spend too much time here arguing and debating smile.gif

It isn't callous, it's downright rude. You're (general, not you) are calling others selfish just because you happen to be as well.

When you collect the resources to breed things, you can do whatever you want with them. Is it a good thing to help keep rares around? Yeah. I'm not arguing this. But what if you were breeding a Gen 2 rare to give to another user that didn't have one? And if it so happened that the breeding was successful, then you'd be a little out of luck, because someone else grabbed it. In consideration, it is more likely that someone picked it up and now will no-longer be giving it back. Gen 2s are not something you see every day on the AP after all and you can still trade it for a good buck.

So I wholely support this. Dragon Cave is well aware when you're scroll is locked (Summon BSA not showing up when you're locked) and a message like this will do more good than harm. All of those naysayers need to be slapped with a salmon because their argument is basically saying "well I don't have a good reason as to why I don't like this... so I'm gonna say this out of spite".

It isn't callous, it's downright rude. You're (general, not you) are calling others selfish just because you happen to be as well.

When you collect the resources to breed things, you can do whatever you want with them. Is it a good thing to help keep rares around? Yeah. I'm not arguing this. But what if you were breeding a Gen 2 rare to give to another user that didn't have one? And if it so happened that the breeding was successful, then you'd be a little out of luck, because someone else grabbed it. In consideration, it is more likely that someone picked it up and now will no-longer be giving it back. Gen 2s are not something you see every day on the AP after all and you can still trade it for a good buck.

So I wholely support this. Dragon Cave is well aware when you're scroll is locked (Summon BSA not showing up when you're locked) and a message like this will do more good than harm. All of those naysayers need to be slapped with a salmon because their argument is basically saying "well I don't have a good reason as to why I don't like this... so I'm gonna say this out of spite".

I might have been more supportive of your POV were it not for this bit:

Gen 2s are not something you see every day on the AP after all and you can still trade it for a good buck.

If your only concern is the trade value of what you lost - no great loss, really. People asking high prices for trades is something I loathe - I hate the way this place acts like the worst of the stock market at times. I've had loads of important things for my own lineages AP - and I feel for Firemaster's gold. Even so - I don't support this. Even though I lost a silver a few days ago. And even though I remember the SICK day I lost a gold I had FINALLY bred for an IOU.

We have our trophy as a check, and the ability to count.

I do have a good reason for my position. Two actually. One, that it makes you pay attention to what you are doing - or pay the penalty, and the other - that it DOES give others the chance to find amazing things in the AP. IF we rename the parents of autoed eggs - others will often give them back - that's happened to me more than once, and I've also returned some I found that way. so YES, this place is kind and generous and unselfish, and returning such eggs is a classic example of that..

If your only concern is the trade value of what you lost - no great loss, really. People asking high prices for trades is something I loathe - I hate the way this place acts like the worst of the stock market at times. I've had loads of important things for my own lineages AP - and I feel for Firemaster's gold. Even so - I don't support this. Even though I lost a silver a few days ago. And even though I remember the SICK day I lost a gold I had FINALLY bred for an IOU.

I do have a good reason for my position. Two actually. One, that it makes you pay attention to what you are doing - or pay the penalty, and the other - that it DOES give others the chance to find amazing things in the AP. IF we rename the parents of autoed eggs - others will often give them back - that's happened to me more than once, and I've also returned some I found that way. so YES, this place is kind and generous and unselfish, and returning such eggs is a classic example of that..

I fail to see how making it a little harder to accidentally forget you're locked is somehow a negative due to the worth of what's lost. If I was rushing out of the door late for work and put on flimsy trousers on accident, which resulted in myself dropping a hundred dollar bill, no one would go "Well, they shouldn't make their trouser pockets less terrible, you have hands for carrying money."

What you're saying here is because the eggs are worth a great deal in trade(not to mention the personal investment & emotional value) it's somehow alright to leave it easy to lose them. Because someone else may need them more. Like...what?

Just because someone MIGHT return the eggs doesn't make the community somehow a super loving & giving one. The responses here sort of show that. This suggestion wouldn't hurt the number of rare AP eggs much, I give some away weekly in the AP apurpose.

But it would help those of us who are easily excitable or rushed who might REALLY be hurt by losing those few eggs we want to keep.

I fail to see how making it a little harder to accidentally forget you're locked is somehow a negative due to the worth of what's lost. If I was rushing out of the door late for work and put on flimsy trousers on accident, which resulted in myself dropping a hundred dollar bill, no one would go "Well, they shouldn't make their trouser pockets less terrible, you have hands for carrying money."

What you're saying here is because the eggs are worth a great deal in trade(not to mention the personal investment & emotional value) it's somehow alright to leave it easy to lose them. Because someone else may need them more. Like...what?

Just because someone MIGHT return the eggs doesn't make the community somehow a super loving & giving one. The responses here sort of show that. This suggestion wouldn't hurt the number of rare AP eggs much, I give some away weekly in the AP apurpose.

But it would help those of us who are easily excitable or rushed who might REALLY be hurt by losing those few eggs we want to keep.

Actually I have recently said more or less exactly that to my SO, who has just lost a pair of expensive glasses as a direct result of putting them in a pocket that wasn't up to it.... laugh.gif I had suggested many times that it was a bad idea (compare with having an egg auto on you) and....

But my objection was to the idea that the important thing here is keeping stuff for trading purposes.

I have GREAT sympathy for those who lose something that has taken ages for a lineage. But trading is very VERY much secondary, in my book, and breeding for trades generally isn't done in a rush.

We shall have to agree to differ. I don't mind if this happens, but I cannot see it as a high priority, and I DO think we have to take on some responsibilities to be careful, here.

My concern about the trade value is that if I accidentally lose it, then I know something that I bred for someone else is being flipped over for someone else's profit. If it is no great loss, then why don't you go ahead and donate your lucky breeding for everyone else to enjoy? I've only gotten 3 silvers from my CB Silver and progeny doesn't include the eggs I've plain killed on accident/pure 100% frustration.

I'm concerned about the "profit" someone gains from this because it's pretty much 6 weeks of my time gone... all because of a simple mistake. Could it have been prevented by me looking at my trophy? Yeah. Sure. But when I go off and mass breed, I am not looking at it often and sometimes, I'll plain forget what I have and have not dropped to The AP. Or maybe I had a Bite attempt and forgot about kills count towards limit.

This is a proposed safety feature that has no negatives and only positives to it. Like seriously? "Pay the penalty and pay attention"? You obviously think that everyone here isn't human and prone to error or something. But that would be hypocritical of you.

And you should consider that not everyone will return eggs. They are more likely to return something more common. It's like accidentally finding a million dollars. It's technically yours, but are you going to easily give it up? Lol.

Trade value = something you bred basically for your own benefit - to get something else with.

But as I say - we can agree to differ. It has no negatives, true - but I can't see the benefits as in any way essential. And I have - as I say - lost some fab stuff - and I have also had some very classy eggs returned to me.

Just for the record, though - I DO breed for others. I breed for free. I have bred many rares on request. I think I have almost never actually TRADED a rare for anything. When I trade it's usually for common or holiday checkers.

I'm still trying to figure out who wold be harmed by this suggestion and, therefore, why would someone oppose it. Bah.

Kittens will be harmed! Oh wait, that's if you block ads... ok, then... I don't think anyone is harmed, especially if they can option to turn it off.