tridymite

Message that eggs will Auto=AP

Well, talk about it and it'll happen! Yesterday I got really pissed at myself for getting an Avatar of Change egg auto'd. I *knew* I was locked with the New Releases, it just... slipped my mind.

And I still argue in the middle. I would be plenty happy with a little added text when you go to breed, simply stating that any bred eggs will be abandoned. Anything *more* is going to be annoying.

And I still argue in the middle. I would be plenty happy with a little added text when you go to breed, simply stating that any bred eggs will be abandoned. Anything *more* is going to be annoying.

Yes this. So long as it doesn't *stop* you from doing it, even if it's like the pop-ups for when you name/abandon/kill, I'm fine with that one line of text. I think anything that stops you, no matter how briefly, would be annoying.

I don't breed my rares to the AP, but I've given the AP some spectacular rares because didn't check my limits before breeding. When those happened, I pouted for a minute and then moved on because, as someone already said, I have unlimited chances to breed, whereas someone hunting for rares in the AP only has that one chance to catch my wandering rare egg.

As with most suggestions like this, it all boils down to player patience. You lost your egg. Wait a week and breed again. Continue until your dragons breed the egg you want. The game even has given us the boost of the fertility BSA to encourage our dragons to breed (and let's not debate your opinion of fertility here, it's a fact that it's meant to boost breeding, whether you think it works or not). All anyone needs to breed any egg is patience.

I comment on suggestions like these because I see them as a waste of TJ's coding power. While he tries to code something like this because players are impatient, he's not coding something that could be more useful and desired to a larger cross-section of players.

Losing a breeding to scroll lock is not a singular event. You get to try again. Auto-abandon is a minor fail in an already pretty easy collecting game. I'd rather TJ work on coding something like BSAs that can fix permanent player aggravations like refuals and freezes (you know, with super-long cool-downs and rare chances of working so even the trying for these things would be not-so-easy; oh, and these are just examples that, again, should not be debated here; they have their own threads wink.gif ).

If you would like a fool-proof collecting "game" with few limits and no chances of losing anything, they exist. You just need to do a little Googling to find them.

Coding isn't supposed to be an object for suggestions. Like, that's an actual forum rule. Besides, the coding in this case is probably extremely simple compared to, say, the encyclopedia or a new BSA. An afternoon or two of work and a few days for some bugtesting isn't going to take away from much other things, particularly if he does them while working on this.

Disclaimer: I'm used to working with significantly more complicated coding (...if "constantly writing buggy, disjointed code due to poor executive functioning" counts), it might actually be a big deal in CSS or whatever. But I doubt it.

Also, my issue is more trying to get older commons from more recent commons, i.e. trying to get Mints from Niho/Mint pairs and the like.

Edited by Guillotine

How? How would one extra line of text saying any eggs bred will auto create a bunch of issues or hurt anyone?

Please refer back to my original post, I have explained my reasoning thoroughly there.

Exactly, I don't understand how it hurts those who hunt in the AP because there are plenty that purposefully breed rares and other pretty things for the AP. There are also trades for those who use the forum or something like the trade section on EAtW.

Coding isn't supposed to be an object for suggestions. Like, that's an actual forum rule.

The fact is, time is not limitless. So, I suppose my "object" for this suggestion is that I'd rather not see time spent on this suggestion, when, in my opinion, that time can be better spent elsewhere. I am not saying this suggestion is a waste of time, but that there are other suggestions that I would consider priority over this suggestion.

I bred my CB Old Pink to one of my Alt Sweetlings a few days ago. It was to be part of a trade. I realized too late that I had forgotten to abandon an AP egg that I picked up to peek at the lineage. Egg autoed! Was I upset? Yes. But I was angry with myself for not double-checking, not with the game for not reminding me that I was locked. Someone got a very nice egg from the AP and I will breed another when the dragons cooperate to complete what is now an IOU trade.

I still do not like this idea. It just seems like some people want to make everything about this game failproof and I think the game would get very dull as a result. How is it a game if there is no possibility of making mistakes?

I bred my CB Old Pink to one of my Alt Sweetlings a few days ago. It was to be part of a trade. I realized too late that I had forgotten to abandon an AP egg that I picked up to peek at the lineage. Egg autoed! Was I upset? Yes. But I was angry with myself for not double-checking, not with the game for not reminding me that I was locked. Someone got a very nice egg from the AP and I will breed another when the dragons cooperate to complete what is now an IOU trade.

I still do not like this idea. It just seems like some people want to make everything about this game failproof and I think the game would get very dull as a result. How is it a game if there is no possibility of making mistakes?

Thanks for saying what I said rather more graciously smile.gif

The fact is, time is not limitless. So, I suppose my "object" for this suggestion is that I'd rather not see time spent on this suggestion, when, in my opinion, that time can be better spent elsewhere. I am not saying this suggestion is a waste of time, but that there are other suggestions that I would consider priority over this suggestion.

It's hardly high-priority, true, but it's simple and easier to implement than the majority of other suggestions I consider more important. Most suggestions aren't really vital to the game, so again: it shouldn't be part of the argument unless TJ says so

And quite frankly, I don't see this hurting the AP rare/neat lineage supply.

It's still not stopping you. It's just a reminder. Not everyone knows about the limits page in the first place, even.

While it's all good to double check your scroll and the limits page, I've done so and promptly forgotten. I'd totally write it down, but usually I don't have anything around me to write with (and I hate opening up something like Word and don't have Notepad because that a Windows OS program), as well as I normally forget to write stuff down in the first place or I can forget that I wrote something down. It happens. :P

It's still VERY possible to make mistakes, like breeding to the wrong dragon, for one. *grumbles about breeding a 3EG Silver to his mom because he was right next to his dad* You can grab the wrong eggs and do a whole bunch of stuff and some people might still forget or not even read the warning. The only thing it does is a last-minute notification, kinda like the cooldown notifications (though they won't let you do an action at all) or the Summon action telling you you're at your limit (though it also completely stops you, which this would not do).

I mean, unless you're talking about something more like the warnings that pop up when you're killing/using a BSA/abandoning/naming, which I think was the original idea of the thread, but seems to be less favorable than a simple extra line of text like what TCA posted.

I do not even have memory problems and half the time when I'm waiting to breed, I open the actions page so I don't have to go looking for the dragon again and wait to unlock. I then wander back, wonder why I didn't just breed in the first place, and then can end up auto'ing an egg. And waiting another week isn't always viable sometimes if that was the first or one of the few eggs you've gotten from a bad breeders. Heck, I have plenty of commons that are bad breeders. Yes, I always take the blame for myself. I did check and I just done goofed and that is my fault, yes.

But I still support something noninvasive to warn people they will auto the egg. For one, the mass amount of eggs we get in the AP with parents names changed and notes in sigs to get the egg back show there are plenty of people out there who would prefer a reminder so this situation doesn't happen - otherwise, I think they would just sit back and wait to breed again. (Heck I do not get angry if I have to breed again - I get over it in five seconds - but even I asked for help when I abandoned a tsunami for a lineage.)

For people worried that this will cut out good things from the AP: heck, right now, how many good things are returned by selfless users who see the notes and either help look for the egg or pick it up and decide to give it back? I don't know any numbers of course, but I see people chipping in to help out in these cases who are successful (what confuses me a little is that I know some of you against this warning are some of the users who have helped out in these cases). And, especially if this is noninvasive, there are still going to be cases of accidental autos.

But there's nothing wrong with putting a small, little helpful note to help users out. As has been said, this is a game. Users play it to relax and have fun, so I'm unsure why so many people are against "handholding". This isn't playing the game for people. This is a feature already in place for other things (someone already mentioned the summoning note), even, so I really do not agree with the arguments that this would "harm" anybody. o_O

I mean, unless you're talking about something more like the warnings that pop up when you're killing/using a BSA/abandoning/naming, which I think was the original idea of the thread, but seems to be less favorable than a simple extra line of text like what TCA posted.

Yeah, I think most people who support the idea of a notice are against having to input a password/click past a pop-up when locked. I mean, I don't exactly stay mad forever and don't blame the game when I auto an egg I wanted to keep, but it's frustrating and has set me back by months in the past.

Yeah, I think most people who support the idea of a notice are against having to input a password/click past a pop-up when locked. I mean, I don't exactly stay mad forever and don't blame the game when I auto an egg I wanted to keep, but it's frustrating and has set me back by months in the past.

That would definitely be excessive handolding anyway. Few, if any, would be careless enough to go ahead and auto something unintentionally when there's a popup or an extra confirmation screen that shouldn't be there to stop them, which kills the entire premise of careful slot management.

Edited by CNR4806

I do not even have memory problems and half the time when I'm waiting to breed, I open the actions page so I don't have to go looking for the dragon again and wait to unlock. I then wander back, wonder why I didn't just breed in the first place, and then can end up auto'ing an egg. And waiting another week isn't always viable sometimes if that was the first or one of the few eggs you've gotten from a bad breeders. Heck, I have plenty of commons that are bad breeders. Yes, I always take the blame for myself. I did check and I just done goofed and that is my fault, yes.

But I still support something noninvasive to warn people they will auto the egg. For one, the mass amount of eggs we get in the AP with parents names changed and notes in sigs to get the egg back show there are plenty of people out there who would prefer a reminder so this situation doesn't happen - otherwise, I think they would just sit back and wait to breed again. (Heck I do not get angry if I have to breed again - I get over it in five seconds - but even I asked for help when I abandoned a tsunami for a lineage.)

For people worried that this will cut out good things from the AP: heck, right now, how many good things are returned by selfless users who see the notes and either help look for the egg or pick it up and decide to give it back? I don't know any numbers of course, but I see people chipping in to help out in these cases who are successful (what confuses me a little is that I know some of you against this warning are some of the users who have helped out in these cases). And, especially if this is noninvasive, there are still going to be cases of accidental autos.

But there's nothing wrong with putting a small, little helpful note to help users out. As has been said, this is a game. Users play it to relax and have fun, so I'm unsure why so many people are against "handholding". This isn't playing the game for people. This is a feature already in place for other things (someone already mentioned the summoning note), even, so I really do not agree with the arguments that this would "harm" anybody. o_O

Pretty much this.

xd.png

I mean, if people really think it will absolutely destroy the site for whatever reason, then eh - I guess I'm fine with the way things are. I just think it would be a gentle, non-intrusive gesture that would be nice (especially since it is done for other things on the site).

For me this is a causal game meant to be fun. I don't see any point to prevent helping people not auto abandon their eggs, and thus get frustrated. Personally, I'm the sort that if someone PMed me about an egg of theirs they accidentally auto abandoned that I had happened to pick up, I'd pass it on back to them (if they could prove the parents were theirs - which wouldn't be hard).

It's nice to get good eggs, but not as nice to get them at someone else's expense. Maybe I am wrong, but I view this as a casual game not a competitive one.

I'm always on the "as little hand-holding as possible" side of things. I don't really think this is needed, frankly it's simply part of the game if you forget and lose things once in awhile.

That said, a simple line of text isn't going to *hurt* things at all (no, it's not going to hurt the AP, there are enough people deliberately tossing eggs there).

^ My thoughts exactly.

I don't see the point. It really doesn't take a whole lot of effort to check or even double check your own scroll to make sure you won't auto abandon something you'd like to keep. In fact, if someone is going to breed something important and they already know ahead of time it's important, you'd think the first thing their minds would jump to is 'Ok, let me see if I'm locked' first. If it's important enough to keep, it should be important enough to take what, a second or two, to check your scroll. Those two gold eggs on my scroll right now? I made damn sure I wasn't locked before doing that breeding.

If someone is scatter brained or forgetful then that sounds like a personal problem that maybe they should work on and learn from instead of asking the game to deal with it for them. *shrug*

I'm unsure why so many people are against "handholding".

Me, personally? I'm against any kind of 'handholding', simply because I believe totally in personal accountability that covers everything from life to games. Even that term 'handholding' is irritating to me.

So, no to this from me.

Edited by MedievalMystic

It's honestly not needed. I always keep my eggs and hatchies at the top of my scroll and ALWAYS check how many egg slots I have left using the limits page before I breed anything. It's honestly not difficult to keep tabs on how many eggs you have yourself, especially now we have the limits page that tells us exactly how many eggs and hatchie slots we have left.

Personally I don't think it is handholding. I guess I can see how it might be seen as such, but I don't think it is. Now, if it's something that totally stops you from breeding because it will auto (that is, a warning/confirmation box coming up and asking if you really want to breed, or something that totally stops it outright), then yes that's totally handholding. But an unobtrusive message at the end of the default "breed" message personally doesn't sound like handholding. It's about as much handholding as the "(You can use this action x more times before waiting for a few weeks)" or the This action is irreversible, and will cause the hatchling/adult to lose its name messages, imo. Maybe that's technically handholding, too, but I don't think it's excessive in that case.

The message will also be just long enough for someone to not even have to read it to notice that it will auto. It still won't catch everyone, but I think it's a fine compromise between a warning box/something totally stopping you from breeding and nothing at all.

It's honestly not needed.

I just have to wonder where comments like these come from. I've lost count of how many posts I've seen on people accidentally auto'ing something and wanting help in getting it back. Clearly, it's something people are interested in and it's at least something some people need, even if others feel they don't need it.

If you don't need it, it'd be rather easy to ignore/completely miss any non-obtrusive text. =o

If someone is scatter brained or forgetful then that sounds like a personal problem that maybe they should work on and learn from instead of asking the game to deal with it for them.

Let us hope that as you get older you don't start having short term memory problems, little tricks and tips can help, but even so it's still easy to forget little things if you don't do them every day. It's not just being 'scatterbrained'

This might sound kind of silly but you know the egg limit page, the one hat has a link in the intro... well... I didn't know for the longest time that I could link to that from the trophy on my scroll, or maybe by the time I finally got a trophy I had forgot about it. In any event I think there may be a fair number of players, especially newer players who don't realize that there is an easy way to check the scroll limits. So I can see that this might be useful.

It might not strictly be needed, but neither is the alert at the top of your scroll when your eggs are sick, because the information's already accessible somewhere. I still really want this- no pop-ups, nothing stopping you from autoing eggs anyways, but just a little line so that if you're paying attention you won't. I don't see this as "handholding", just as making things a little more visible.

"Breed Breed this dragon with a fe/male, potentially producing eggs."

to

"Breed Breed this dragon with a fe/male, potentially producing eggs. Any eggs produced will be abandoned."

when you're locked

Let us hope that as you get older you don't start having short term memory problems, little tricks and tips can help, but even so it's still easy to forget little things if you don't do them every day. It's not just being 'scatterbrained'

I am older, a whole lot older than most of the people on this site. . smile.gif

On another game I play if you forget to feed your pets you lose them. It doesn't matter if you spent real money to get them either, which is an option on that site. Forget to feed for a certain amount of time, about 20 days, and you'll come on there one day and every pet you own has disappeared out of your barn. POOF! Gone. And that's that. Sure, you can get them back...for a cost. It's so expensive to get back an entire barn full of pets that most people can't, they can only get back a few favorites. But if you forget to feed and the pets disappear, the site's attitude is that's on you. They hold people to be responsible there, as it should be, imo. Sure, you get people in the forums sometimes complaining and crying 'NOT FAIR' about it, but they're shot down pretty quickly and don't get an ounce of sympathy from anybody. You're expected to be responsible, simple as that and nobody cares about your excuses. Forget on that site and you start to remember REAL quick. I think the same should hold true here. *shrug*

Edited by MedievalMystic