tridymite

Message that eggs will Auto=AP

Nope, I am a meanie and am against all of this. It's a game, people, keep track of how many eggs you have! I've lost eggs myself but that's one of the little pitfalls of the game. If there aren't pitfalls, then what's the point? I've auto ap'd some awesome stuff and I know it's my fault for not paying attention. I feel like people are constantly pushing for this game to get easier and easier and in my opinion, a game has to have little drawbacks like this.

This, rather. I too am a meanie ! You only have to click on your trophy before breeding, after all... If you routinely manage to AP stuff you didn't mean to - make that an absolute habit - something you automatically do before you breed.

It really does just slip people's minds, even if they were just looking at all their eggs and knew they were full. XD I don't usually breed often in general unless I'm sending eggs to the AP on purpose, but recently I did get too excited to continue a certain lineage I was working on and somehow forgot I was locked, even though I had JUST been grabbing eggs and filled up on them.

I don't want something that's super obtrusive or stops me with warnings and bells and whistles. Something like what TCA posted, where it would just add "Any eggs produced will be abandoned." after the regular breeding text if you were full would be awesome. It still requires attention, but at least you don't have to have multiple tabs open or continuously double-check as much (I've often looked at my trophy or just my eggs in general and realize I was full, but then left the page and forgot and would have to keep going back and checking because the cycle would repeat). Though a message won't appear at all on the actual breeding page, it would be one less step of checking, I think.

I'm all for people managing their eggs well and realizing when they're full, but nobody's perfect and I think there should be some forgiveness. That little extra message of any eggs being bred will auto-abandon just makes sense to have, imo. It's still not stopping you from breeding, but it's another last-minute warning before you do breed.

If it was specifically up to people to count their eggs/hatchlings, and wasn't listed on the trophy page, then I could see where it wouldn't make sense to include that info anywhere. But because it is already listed, I feel like putting that info in an additional place doesn't make the game significantly easier or take away a crucial limiting-in-a-good-way aspect. It's basically just saving one or a few extra clicks or open tabs. And in a game that, in my opinion, calls for FAR too much clicks/tab opening, I think suggestions that involve fewer clicks/tabs could be considered not only on their own merit but in how they could be helpful to the overall experience.

All it takes is one step to the egg limits page under the new help link and you can avoid disasters. Some people like breeding to have the eggs auto abandon. It's easier than singly dumping each egg off onto the AP. Another pop up message would be really annoying. So I say no, unless there was some way to be able to turn the thing off.

This.

Also, someone said (I can't remember who), that it would make getting rares from ap harder and I agree with that as well. Lets keep the game more interesting smile.gif

In my case it won't change anything. I usually check how many free spots I have. If I forget, than... well, that's the part of the game and someone else is going to be happy. If this message was introduced, I'd propably ingore it as I don't read messages I think I know pretty well.

Also, someone said (I can't remember who), that it would make getting rares from ap harder and I agree with that as well. Lets keep the game more interesting :)

Maybe very slightly, but I assume most of the rares in the AP come from people who purposefully send them there when mass breeding.

Maybe very slightly, but I assume most of the rares in the AP come from people who purposefully send them there when mass breeding.

The ones I have sent there were all accidents. Including a 2gen PB gold sad.gif And I am still against the message !

And I can assume the exact opposite because come on, we both don't have any statistic to prove either to be the case.

The only thing we know for certain is that both causes contribute to the pool of rares in the AP.

Still, there's bound to be people who ignore the little note by the breeding link, and as someone with fairly severe short-term memory issues and kinda flaky internet I'd really like the heads-up before I breed. I mean, anything more obtrusive would just be aggravating but some kind of warning would be very nice and would help quite a few players.

Also, the majority of the rares I send to the AP are deliberately sent. I mostly tend to accidentally auto things like weird personal lineages and common inbreds that a lot of people don't really want and i can't really replace easily...

I still really want the Actions page message to change when you're locked. It wouldn't hold you up when breeding, and it serves basically the same purpose as other notification messages. Do you really think it'd be excessive hand-holding to have

"Breed Breed this dragon with a fe/male, potentially producing eggs."

change to

"Breed Breed this dragon with a fe/male, potentially producing eggs. Any eggs produced will be abandoned."

when you're locked?

Still best idea, precedent for similar messages on-site already, requoted for new page.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

The problem is easily solved by checking your egg limits on the help page. I do this regularly and do not end up with auto's

And I can assume the exact opposite because come on, we both don't have any statistic to prove either to be the case.

The only thing we know for certain is that both causes contribute to the pool of rares in the AP.

My point is, even if it lowers the amount of the rares, there are still plenty of people who purposefully send lots of rares to the AP. It might even pick up if people notice the amount dwindling as a possible result of the implementation of this suggestion.

The problem is easily solved by checking your egg limits on the help page. I do this regularly and do not end up with auto's

You are not everyone, though. Just because checking the limits helps you not auto doesn't mean it works for everyone. Like I said before, I've checked it and then promptly forgotten and needed to keep double-checking because sometimes my short-term memory is just that bad.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I'm for this - specifically just the tiny message added to the breed action.

I don't really understand the people who're saying it's unnecessary? Like...so you have the dedication and memory to check how many eggs you have every time before breeding. That's nice. Why are you against making things easier for the rest of us? In my opinion this is only barely connected to the part of the game that is supposed to be enjoyable/difficult. There might be fewer rares for people to pick up in the AP but most of the people who have slower internet won't get dibs on those anyway. Support a rare distribution thread or something.

Why are you against making things easier for the rest of us? In my opinion this is only barely connected to the part of the game that is supposed to be enjoyable/difficult.

Because as it is, DC as a game is pretty easy with the exception of catching rare eggs or breeding for certain things. (Or summoning.) You get eggs, stick them in a hatchery, wait for them to grow, poof, you're done. Checking for whether or not you're locked is one of the very, very few things that makes this game a challenge.

I don't think not having the message makes the game either substantially harder or impossible, and I think having it moves a little bit too much towards the site holding our hands while we play.

I get that people have short term memory issues but the solution for that is simple: write it down. As it is, while I appreciate the difficulty, I don't think there are so many users with that problem that they're a majority. Most people just want a reminder because it makes it easier for them and I think the game needs to keep being a little challenging.

Edited by kerrikins

I'm for this - specifically just the tiny message added to the breed action.

I don't really understand the people who're saying it's unnecessary? Like...so you have the dedication and memory to check how many eggs you have every time before breeding. That's nice. Why are you against making things easier for the rest of us? In my opinion this is only barely connected to the part of the game that is supposed to be enjoyable/difficult. There might be fewer rares for people to pick up in the AP but most of the people who have slower internet won't get dibs on those anyway. Support a rare distribution thread or something.

It's not supposed to be made easier for everyone with every little thing, is all. I've autod rares, important lineages, on one occasion a REALLY difficult to breed IOU. These things happen. It's awful - but - it's life.

"Just write it down" is NOT a valid solution to my memory problems, and presenting it as such is rather insulting. This isn't going to make things easier, just more accessible; I could very well still miss the extra note or forget while looking for a mate, after all.

"Just write it down" is NOT a valid solution to my memory problems, and presenting it as such is rather insulting. This isn't going to make things easier, just more accessible; I could very well still miss the extra note or forget while looking for a mate, after all.

I apologize, I was going by the fact that other people I've run into online have referenced using sticky notes as assistance in this sort of situation.

I am torn on the issue of accessibility, because while I want the site to be easier for those people who genuinely *need* it, I think for 99% of the members on this site, this is just extreme handholding and that's why I am against it. Every game has little tricks and pitfalls that need to be remembered and worked around, and I feel like this is one of them.

Also, I say this as someone who has auto'd a second gen silver and various other things - it's not as though I am immune to this problem myself!

Well I suppose that's reasonable? But I'm of the opinion that pitfalls like these aren't necessary to make a game enjoyable (in fact they take away from my experience of them/immersion a lot - I don't autoabandon much but when I do it's like my character went "gonna breed some gold dragons - whoops I just realized I'm out of space! Instead of caring for one more egg than I usually do/telling my dragons to do something with it/abandoning another egg I'm just going to throw this super rare one away. This makes sense"). I like some handholding in my games and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone there. And it sounds a little like all of you are going "we don't want it so no one gets to have it ever". We could have an option to turn it off too if that would be a good compromise. :\

I just don't think this really needs to be a "pitfall" at all.

It's meant to be an easy game, with the hardest parts catching eggs, dealing with refusals/breeding fails, summoning, and above all else, waiting. We already have regular breeding fails and refusals. Accidental abandonment will still be there as a pitfall, technically, this would just be another warning. It adds enough text to tell the difference between the short message when not locked and the long message when you are locked, so you don't even really have to read it, just look at the length.

It's actually quite easy. Most people have a trophy. One click on your trophy tells you how many eggs, hatchies, and (in case you are still confused) total number of growing things you currently have.

That said, I am not opposed to the idea per se, but there are other things I would much rather see.

Well I suppose that's reasonable? But I'm of the opinion that pitfalls like these aren't necessary to make a game enjoyable (in fact they take away from my experience of them/immersion a lot - I don't autoabandon much but when I do it's like my character went "gonna breed some gold dragons - whoops I just realized I'm out of space! Instead of caring for one more egg than I usually do/telling my dragons to do something with it/abandoning another egg I'm just going to throw this super rare one away. This makes sense"). I like some handholding in my games and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone there. And it sounds a little like all of you are going "we don't want it so no one gets to have it ever". We could have an option to turn it off too if that would be a good compromise. :\

It's a question I think of what direction TJ wants to take this.

Would we rather our gameplay based on favoring the individual(s) who would rather not be in a habit of double checking before they breed for their lineages/trades?

or would we rather play the game as is, and if we auto-abandon, then kudos to those hunting in the AP for such accidents and poo on me for not paying closer attention.

Personally I'm in the mindset of the latter. I don't want to take away a very entertaining element of this game (hunting for pretty lineages in the AP) from those who enjoy doing so (I'm not one of them) for the sake of appealing to those who could just as easily breed the *same* egg at a later date.

The time you have to rebreed dragons to get another egg is unlimited, whereas the people who prowl the AP have limited opportunities. I don't see how inhibiting this feature would hurt those who have accidentally auto-abandoned, rather than making them have to rebreed those same dragons for a few weeks. I DO see how this feature would hurt those AP hunters, though, and therefore I am against it.

If I'm silly enough not to CTRL + click the Dragons page to open another tab to double check, then IMO I don't have a claim anymore to that egg if it is bred. Don't depend on the cave to manage your scroll, that's your job.

But that's just me.

It's a question I think of what direction TJ wants to take this.

Would we rather our gameplay based on favoring the individual(s) who would rather not be in a habit of double checking before they breed for their lineages/trades?

or would we rather play the game as is, and if we auto-abandon, then kudos to those hunting in the AP for such accidents and poo on me for not paying closer attention.

Personally I'm in the mindset of the latter. I don't want to take away a very entertaining element of this game (hunting for pretty lineages in the AP) from those who enjoy doing so (I'm not one of them) for the sake of appealing to those who could just as easily breed the *same* egg at a later date.

The time you have to rebreed dragons to get another egg is unlimited, whereas the people who prowl the AP have limited opportunities. I don't see how inhibiting this feature would hurt those who have accidentally auto-abandoned, rather than making them have to rebreed those same dragons for a few weeks. I DO see how this feature would hurt those AP hunters, though, and therefore I am against it.

If I'm silly enough not to CTRL + click the Dragons page to open another tab to double check, then IMO I don't have a claim anymore to that egg if it is bred. Don't depend on the cave to manage your scroll, that's your job.

But that's just me.

It's me too. Especially the poo on me bit. xd.png

My language when that IOU autod was as blue as it gets - and I still don't see a need for this !

Okay, in daily life there is cause and effect take away the effect there isn't really anything left. I have been playing for 7 years now and I get frustrated sometimes with autoing but I don't mind it at the same time because I get to see where my eggs go. The first gold that was ever bred from my scroll autoed, at the time I was upset and then I noticed it went to a scroll with no golds on it whatsoever and that made me happy for the person who got it.

I am against this whole thing because I find that it seems like if it were implemented it would just lead to a whole other host of problems. Like the people complaining they can't find Shinies in the AP or other people being upset about other stuff too. In my honest opinion I think it would create more problems than it would solve.

I am one of the people who massbreeds their rares to the AP and I would honestly find this a bit annoying personally.

Its really not that hard to check your egg limits before breeding, I am forgetful so I lose stuff, okay big deal it happens but I don't feel like I need my hand held to play a game and I don't want to be handheld either makes things boring.

Edited by beautifuldragon5000

It's hardly handholding--and again, there's still a good chance that I and others would auto on accident anyway. I just want the final line to be there and not have to rely on my internet not flaking out because I have multiple tabs open (yes, this is a problem I have had in the past).

And while sticky notes are valid for desktop users, I do play on mobile fairly frequently, and I don't exactly have paper access when using mobile... And i suspect many others don't, either. And mobile tends to be fairly limited with regards to bandwidth/memory, making multiple tabs on an image-heavy site like DC somewhat impractical.

It's hardly handholding--and again, there's still a good chance that I and others would auto on accident anyway. I just want the final line to be there and not have to rely on my internet not flaking out because I have multiple tabs open (yes, this is a problem I have had in the past).

And while sticky notes are valid for desktop users, I do play on mobile fairly frequently, and I don't exactly have paper access when using mobile... And i suspect many others don't, either. And mobile tends to be fairly limited with regards to bandwidth/memory, making multiple tabs on an image-heavy site like DC somewhat impractical.

But you're talking about a fraction of the people who actually play DC on mobile, and a fraction of a fraction who actually want this feature.

Like the person above, I think this would really create more issues than it would solve, and hurt more people than it helps

Like the person above, I think this would really create more issues than it would solve, and hurt more people than it helps

How? How would one extra line of text saying any eggs bred will auto create a bunch of issues or hurt anyone?