tridymite

Message that eggs will Auto=AP

I don't see the point. It really doesn't take a whole lot of effort to check or even double check your own scroll to make sure you won't auto abandon something you'd like to keep. In fact, if someone is going to breed something important and they already know ahead of time it's important, you'd think the first thing their minds would jump to is 'Ok, let me see if I'm locked' first. If it's important enough to keep, it should be important enough to take what, a second or two, to check your scroll. Those two gold eggs on my scroll right now? I made damn sure I wasn't locked before doing that breeding.

If someone is scatter brained or forgetful then that sounds like a personal problem that maybe they should work on and learn from instead of asking the game to deal with it for them. *shrug*

Me, personally? I'm against any kind of 'handholding', simply because I believe totally in personal accountability that covers everything from life to games. Even that term 'handholding' is irritating to me.

So, no to this from me.

You said it so much better than I was thinking of saying that I had to have you say it again. Keep eggs/hatchies at the tops of your Scrolls - you can count, right?

The bold type in the quote is mine. Sometimes you just gotta be responsible for your own space.

I don't support this.

In the format suggested in the bottom of the OP, sure, though I'm not sure about changing the text colour. No popups, no extra clicks, no extra inputs please.

I really can't understand the attitude of people saying 'absolutely not, in no way shape or form'. There's no reason to make things trickier than they need to be for people whose scroll setup, internet speed and/or time availability makes counting their growing things hard when the way the OP suggests wouldn't get in the way of people who are able to easily count in the slightest.

As an absent minded person who has bred on a full eglocked scroll I have to say no. If it happens I won't go up in arms and protest but I do not see why like some have said we need DC to basically hold our hands every step of the way like:

"Did you check how many eggs you have? No thats alright, I'll do it for you if you don't feel like making sure because its so very hard and tedious to ensure you have the space before breeding~"

No. I mostly play on a laptop but the few times I've had to check on mobile I make sure to check if I am full or not. I am a gold trophy, that means I have to ensure I count correctly and ensure I don't have 7 eggs. Check anything that's fogged, triple count the eggs on your scroll, and open a new tab for the dragon you wish to breed so you can always go to the previous tab without having to back out of breeding to double check.

It is really not that difficult nor is it as time consuming as it sounds. If you are in a hurry then honestly don't breed your dragons in a hurry. Find a time like on a break, lunch, toilet time, etc, to breed your dragons so you can keep count. This is a no from me.

If it's unobtrusive and doesn't impact my gamestyle, it doesn't matter to me whether or not this is added. As long as I can still breed when locked, and don't have to click things or type things or wait for a page to load slower or anything, it won't change anything for me.

I've gotten used to double checking this page before I breed. I still mess up sometime, but I've been much better than I used to me.

And I like to breed when I'm egglocked. There's 25+ red eggs floating in the AP to be found and cherished in a few days, from me breeding all my 2nd gen red pairs. (Speaking of which, I actually miscounted in the opposite direction today... The first breeding didn't auto-abandon. tongue.gif)

In short, as long as it doesn't hinder me, I'm neutral on this one. smile.gif

You can check your limits here, to help you remember if you're locked or not: http://dragcave.net/help/egglimits

You can also try temporarily renaming the parents to something like "I lost this egg" / "Plz return to Ravencrime on forum." Doesn't always work, but is worth a shot.

I'm against removing the breed button instantly when locked; I sometimes breed when locked specifically to send nice eggs to the abandoned page for people without having to abandon them one by one. I'm neutral on it being an account setting people can choose to turn on or off. On the one hand I think we've all accidentally abandoned something at one point or another that we regret, but on the other hand it's not that hard to keep track of limits.

So do I.

Actually when I know I wanna drop all resulting eggs I lock myself to save me the hassle of abandoning them.

So no support for removing breeding while locked.

I'm neutral on the suggestion to chose an option that disables breeding while locked or some kind of message.

I still really want the Actions page message to change when you're locked. It wouldn't hold you up when breeding, and it serves basically the same purpose as other notification messages. Do you really think it'd be excessive hand-holding to have

"Breed Breed this dragon with a fe/male, potentially producing eggs."

change to

"Breed Breed this dragon with a fe/male, potentially producing eggs. Any eggs produced will be abandoned."

when you're locked?

I went ahead and made a mockup of this, which is my favorite solution to this by far.

user posted image

A firm NO to any kind of removal of breeding after becoming egglocked - I sometimes breed nice lineages, even Shimmers and Tinsels to drop to the AP and have gotten many beautiful lineages there and it's easiest when you're egglocked as the egg elegantly AP's itself. Nowdays I do most of my hunting there... if this idea was implemented it would be catastrophic, so please don't even consider it. ;_;

An unobtrusive actions-page message that would remind one you're egglocked like the one TheCompleteAnimorph presented? I don't see why not, since it doesn't require extra clicking and does not draw too much attention to itself (pop up windows that would remind me I'm egglocked each time I try breeding while egglocked would be extremely annoying). I don't really need it as I tend to make sure whether my scroll is free before I breed the lineages I intend to keep, but if it would be helpful to some I'm not against it.

I went ahead and made a mockup of this, which is my favorite solution to this by far.

http://i59.tinypic.com/xdxu77.jpg

As simple as that solution is, I don't think people will read that if they're not thinking "Am I egglocked?" So it's a convenient way to CHECK, but I don't think it will act as the alert that some people are looking for from this thread. And if you are already thinking about it, there are other ways to check.

I just look for the "Breed" button and click it - I don't pay attention to the flavor text underneath it anymore. If I don't want to auto-abandon, and I think about it, I manually check the link that shows the limits to verify my eggs and growing-things numbers are in the correct limits.

As simple as that solution is, I don't think people will read that if they're not thinking "Am I egglocked?" So it's a convenient way to CHECK, but I don't think it will act as the alert that some people are looking for from this thread. And if you are already thinking about it, there are other ways to check.

I just look for the "Breed" button and click it - I don't pay attention to the flavor text underneath it anymore. If I don't want to auto-abandon, and I think about it, I manually check the link that shows the limits to verify my eggs and growing-things numbers are in the correct limits.

Yes but this is something everyone is responsible for.

If the breeding is important I will simply double and triple check.

Going to have to second this. I love the idea, but I'd miss that completely. sad.gif Maybe bold the extra flavour text?

(At the moment what I do is check my trophy icon every day before I start breeding. It's mostly relevant to me because I bite quite a few eggs, and I'm never one-hundred-percent sure when they stop taking up a slot, as there's no visible indicator - as in, I know they need 24 hours, but I don't know when the 24 hours is up.)

I think it's actually at the right place - if you truly cared you would check for the presence of that phrase, if you're not careful then well it's your problem. It certainly is a lot easier than it currently is (where you need to go to a separate page that's not even directly accessible from the action page).

The entire point is to strike a balance between frustrating loss to auto and the amount of these accidental treasure injection to the AP, and holding your hands through the entire "will these auto?" checklist is not going to achieve it.

You alone are responsible for paying attention to whether the egg is going to auto, not the system. The only thing that this suggestion should do is to make that checking process more user-friendly.

The entire point is to strike a balance between frustrating loss to auto and the amount of these accidental treasure injection to the AP

Now, I'm not for excessive hand-holding either, and I like just the small message, but I said something else on this topic earlier...

The arguments against it seem to be[...]that it'll keep rare stuff off the AP.

The rare eggs are not really a concern. When the AP-trading glitch was disabled, people were whining about the same thing, but I still see tinsels, trios, dinos, and metals crossing the AP as a result of being deliberately abandoned, not just from autoabandons. And if you can't be satisfied with AP rares unless they're at someone else's loss rather than their generosity, then I worry about your mental health.

I think it's actually at the right place - if you truly cared you would check for the presence of that phrase, if you're not careful then well it's your problem. It certainly is a lot easier than it currently is (where you need to go to a separate page that's not even directly accessible from the action page).

The entire point is to strike a balance between frustrating loss to auto and the amount of these accidental treasure injection to the AP, and holding your hands through the entire "will these auto?" checklist is not going to achieve it.

You alone are responsible for paying attention to whether the egg is going to auto, not the system. The only thing that this suggestion should do is to make that checking process more user-friendly.

Agreed 100%

user posted image

I like how this looks! It's subtle and unobtrusive, but it's different enough that I'd notice if I wanted to keep an egg instead of autoing it.

Support support support support!

I would love an extra little message to let me know that I'm egg locked, just in case.

Like yeah, it's not that hard to check but I'm a complete scatterbrain and would forget and mess up. Just an extra little message to let you know would be so nice!

And the people saying that it means rares won't be in the AP? I breed rares to give away all the time...

I also feel like the people that don't have any yet that people seem to think will get them will be slow to get them which is probably why they don't have any yet..

That's just a matter of habit. After all, until now, these texts never change unless the action itself becomes unavailable so there never was a reason to look for changes. Either way, if you don't *want* to pay attention to the flavour text, you can still check your trophy link - nobody takes that away.

I do tend to peek at the egg Limits page before breeding, but I have accidentally bred at lock more than once. Sometimes for breeding projects. xd.png

You have my support.

However, I can see the counter-argument. I've picked up some fabulous dragons from the AP - in fact, it's where almost all of my Shinies are from. (I had a few Silver Tinsels that were from a trade, but other than that, all of them are from the AP.) I'm sure they were auto-abandoned - after all, who would abandon a Shiny egg from a lovely lineage? Many of the newer players wouldn't get Shinies at all if we added this warning, especially the slower clickers.

So... 1/4 of my support goes against the idea.

I'm sure they were auto-abandoned - after all, who would abandon a Shiny egg from a lovely lineage?

People who want to share the love? I know I've done that a couple of times ...

As simple as that solution is, I don't think people will read that if they're not thinking "Am I egglocked?"  So it's a convenient way to CHECK, but I don't think it will act as the alert that some people are looking for from this thread.  And if you are already thinking about it, there are other ways to check.

I just look for the "Breed" button and click it - I don't pay attention to the flavor text underneath it anymore.  If I don't want to auto-abandon, and I think about it, I manually check the link that shows the limits to verify my eggs and growing-things numbers are in the correct limits.

But it is still the breeder's responsibility to check if they are locked. And I agree with you, I think there are enough ways to do so (counting eggs, use the trophy, go via the help page, use the scroll stats on click sites).

Now I don't mind a message on the page or so, but I breed a lot of stuff to the AP, and I would certainly stop doing so if I had to click away numerous pop-ups just because I am locked.

I'm sure they were auto-abandoned - after all, who would abandon a Shiny egg from a lovely lineage?

So have I.

Edited by Nalyua

Me too. I would fight to the death against anything that PREVENTED breeding when locked, and I actually think a warning when you breed is over the top unnecessary. If it were a popup, or anything that needed an extra click, I'd hate it, but a simple line of text would be ignorable, I guess.

Me too. I would fight to the death against anything that PREVENTED breeding when locked, and I actually think a warning when you breed is over the top unnecessary. If it were a popup, or anything that needed an extra click, I'd hate it, but a simple line of text would be ignorable, I guess.

Why would something that would take you 3 extra seconds to click would be so bad if it prevented you from auto APing something important like something you need for a trade? I mean really its not gonna kill you to move your curser and click on the little pop up that has a warning saying that it will be auto abandoned.

I think certain actions already do that like abandoning and BSA's and really when I'm in a hurry and I see the pop up it somewhat slows me down, I half read it and know what it is so I click ok. My hand hasnt fallen off yet so I think we will survive if a pop up exists.

Why would something that would take you 3 extra seconds to click would be so bad if it prevented you from auto APing something important like something you need for a trade? I mean really its not gonna kill you to move your curser and click on the little pop up that has a warning saying that it will be auto abandoned.

I think certain actions already do that like abandoning and BSA's and really when I'm in a hurry and I see the pop up it somewhat slows me down, I half read it and know what it is so I click ok. My hand hasnt fallen off yet so I think we will survive if a pop up exists.

Because I want to breed in a fast succssession if I am breeding say 30 Tinsels and Shimmers to the AP.

I don't want to take care of a pop up 30 times.

but we do that anyways with BSA's, abandoning, naming, and almost every other option other than fogging, teleporting, and breeding. So I don't see the hassle if its something we already do? Also most of the times, pop ups already show up with the "OK" button highlighted in blue, so all you have to do is hit enter.

Click breed, select mate, click breed, pop up shows up so hit enter (takes less than 3 seconds), action goes through. I do that when I mass incubate. I open the dragon actions in different tabs and incubate, select egg, type in incubate in all caps, hit enter to clear the pop up, boom incubated egg. Doesnt take me that long and I usually get all 7 eggs incubated in less than like 4 minutes.

That's just a matter of habit. After all, until now, these texts never change unless the action itself becomes unavailable so there never was a reason to look for changes. Either way, if you don't *want* to pay attention to the flavour text, you can still check your trophy link - nobody takes that away.

I know. wink.gif

I wasn't saying I didn't want that change made, I was simply pointing out that I don't think it will be highly effective as just text added to already existing text. Essentially, I don't think it would change much, because from my understanding this suggestion is meant as a reminder for people who forgot to check whether or not they had space.

Now, if it were formatted differently than the text that is already there, even, it would stand out more. Then it has a chance of making a difference. smile.gif

If I had to click a popup every time I bred for the AP, I would stop doing it. I like sending pretty-lineage reds to the AP, among other things. If a popup was added, I'd stop doing it entirely.

I'd rather take the inconvenience of losing something I meant to keep, than having to click a popup every time I wanted to breed for the AP.

but we do that anyways with BSA's, abandoning, naming, and almost every other option other than fogging, teleporting, and breeding. So I don't see the hassle if its something we already do? Also most of the times, pop ups already show up with the "OK" button highlighted in blue, so all you have to do is hit enter.

Click breed, select mate, click breed, pop up shows up so hit enter (takes less than 3 seconds), action goes through. I do that when I mass incubate. I open the dragon actions in different tabs and incubate, select egg, type in incubate in all caps, hit enter to clear the pop up, boom incubated egg. Doesnt take me that long and I usually get all 7 eggs incubated in less than like 4 minutes.

And now we're talking doing things on autopilot again. If you get in the habit of just clicking the popup whenever it comes up without thinking about it... Well, odds are you're click through it when you wanted to notice it, too. And so in addition to the comments in the "Stupid Things You've Done on DC" thread about abandoning when intending to hide and freezing when you meant to abandon (and in one case, naming a hatchling with the account password), we'll also have posts about clicking through the Pop-Up and auto-abandoning.

And in the meantime, the game has one more method of hand-holding that yes, does take less effort than typing in a password, but still take up more time than the current method I have now.

I'm all for adding something for those who don't remember to check if they're locked or not, but at least let me turn it off! I'd turn off the password checks, too, if I could, and take any consequences that came with it. I'm careful about who has access to my computer where I'm logged in, and I don't want training wheels. This isn't my bank account, it's an online pixel game, and no other game I play has this level of "let me help you" forced upon the playerbase.

tl;dr - I'm not against implementing something like this, as long as it doesn't impact my gameplay. You could stick flashing red bold letters at the top of the page for all I care. But don't make me put on training wheels on my own play style to "help me" when I don't want or need the help!

Edited by SolarCat

If I had to click a popup every time I bred for the AP, I would stop doing it. I like sending pretty-lineage reds to the AP, among other things. If a popup was added, I'd stop doing it entirely.

I'd rather take the inconvenience of losing something I meant to keep, than having to click a popup every time I wanted to breed for the AP.

This and all the others like it. Extra clicks are an irritation. I'd rather take the risk, thanks. I can count and I can check my trophy, if I am doing an important breeding.