tridymite

Message that eggs will Auto=AP

I went ahead and made a mockup of this, which is my favorite solution to this by far.

user posted image

Personally, I always-with-a-caveat just click my trophy before breeding, even when I KNOW I have room - except that sometimes when I'm looking for open dragons while waiting for breds to be taken, if I get side-tracked, I've come very close to breeding or have actually bred (usually a no-egg/unwanted result, though, lol,) on coming back to the computer without remembering about the wait.

I've started offering more dragons on the Community thread than directly to the AP, to give slow clickers more of a chance, and since most of what I can breed isn't outstanding, those are often (loosely) aimed more at those stuck breeding horribles because they have nothing else, (although happy that whoever is happy to have them) so they at least have something better, so the eggs may sit for a while and I may go for coffee/start reading an off-site page/sign a petition/wash dishes or whatever and come back to a set-up breeding page, forgetting to check to see if the posted eggs have been taken.

And my 4th gens are greatly outnumbered by 5ths (which I'd mostly stopped breeding until I realized how many people were stuck with horribles) and those I generally don't breed any more, so losing a 5th gen I'd hoped might potentially go to someone newer or with a slower computer or less AP time or whatever is kind of a disappointment.

This isn't a big deal for me, although it is for some, and, speaking for myself, I like TheCompleteAnimorph's suggestion in the bright red large friendly letters.

It doesn't call for any more clicking, and is just a warning we're likely to notice.

GRAAAH I just did it again!

I had one egg slot left but I didn't realize that I had enough hatchlings to put me over the limit. A warning would be really nice--either in the breeding description or a little thing that pops up that says "are you sure you want to complete this action? Any resulting egg will automatically be abandoned"

Suggestion. Make the extra text bold. That way, it stands out against the rest of the text, hopefully catching the eye of someone about to breed.

Another suggestion. Add the text to the page where you select the mate, either instead of or as well as the text under the action.

But my main suggestion is to make the text bold, or bigger, or a different colour or anything that makes it stand out. Put shiny twinkles around it, give it its own animated laser display, whatever you like. Just make it stand out. In my opinion making it bold and underlined would do. That way, the text doesn't just get half-read with the rest.

Personally I don't get the fuss. When I click 'Breed', even in the half-second it takes to click it, I've already read the text underneath it. If there was something different about it, like an extra sentence, I'd know. But that's just me, I read fast and I know it. xd.png

Suggestion. Make the extra text bold. That way, it stands out against the rest of the text, hopefully catching the eye of someone about to breed.

Another suggestion. Add the text to the page where you select the mate, either instead of or as well as the text under the action.

But my main suggestion is to make the text bold, or bigger, or a different colour or anything that makes it stand out. Put shiny twinkles around it, give it its own animated laser display, whatever you like. Just make it stand out. In my opinion making it bold and underlined would do. That way, the text doesn't just get half-read with the rest.

Personally I don't get the fuss. When I click 'Breed', even in the half-second it takes to click it, I've already read the text underneath it. If there was something different about it, like an extra sentence, I'd know. But that's just me, I read fast and I know it. xd.png

No no no no not flashy text etc. ohmy.gif PLEASE no.

We get that message where we have to confirm stuff before we click on other actions. That will surely do as an example. The message we get - "enter your password" could perhaps be coded to show up when you are locked and about to breed - but OPTIONALLY, please. Many of us would prefer to take the risk (=count before breeding !) than have another action we have to use the password for.

user posted image

Something like this but on the actual breeding page saying something like "Any eggs resulting from this breeding will be auto abandoned, would you like to continue." It would be under the image of the chose dragon to breed and above the list of available mates.

As long as it's optional, I think the "verification required" would be just fine for this suggestion.

Edited by Marie19R

I don't understand why it's pissing people off so badly that some of us would like a way to be warned before we Auto AP an egg by accident?

It's...we're not trying to make anyone's life difficult, we'd just rather not wait the week cooldown to breed again if we don't have to (ie: we could wait one more day for our eggs to hatch and get to keep the egg we just bred for a lineage/set/scroll goal as opposed to a long-spawnless pair finally giving the desired offspring only to have it auto'd and no guarantee we'll get them to give the right egg again in the next 1, 2, even 5 breedings).

I accidentally auto'd a Thunder yesterday because I forgot I'd picked up a Copper and a CB Pink. It was the last piece to my second set of Trio dragons and the first time since getting my first Thunder that I'd had a successful breed. So yes, I was unreasonably irked there was no warning message that said "Any eggs produced will be auto abandoned". If there was a message and I still auto'd, I'd shrug it off and wait till next breeding but I know I don't always remember if I got an egg, sometimes get eggs I thought I missed, and oftentimes spazz-click a CB only to find it was one I didn't want (Flamingo vs. Pink, Volcano born Pyralspite) and then forget I had to wait six hours to abandon.

...the only reason I don't think a pop up box would be useful is because so many of us do just autopilot through our breedings, I know I'd still click OK and still auto eggs now and then, pop up or not...

I don't understand why it's pissing people off so badly that some of us would like a way to be warned before we Auto AP an egg by accident?

It's...we're not trying to make anyone's life difficult, we'd just rather not wait the week cooldown to breed again if we don't have to (ie: we could wait one more day for our eggs to hatch and get to keep the egg we just bred for a lineage/set/scroll goal as opposed to a long-spawnless pair finally giving the desired offspring only to have it auto'd and no guarantee we'll get them to give the right egg again in the next 1, 2, even 5 breedings).

I accidentally auto'd a Thunder yesterday because I forgot I'd picked up a Copper and a CB Pink. It was the last piece to my second set of Trio dragons and the first time since getting my first Thunder that I'd had a successful breed. So yes, I was unreasonably irked there was no warning message that said "Any eggs produced will be auto abandoned". If there was a message and I still auto'd, I'd shrug it off and wait till next breeding but I know I don't always remember if I got an egg, sometimes get eggs I thought I missed, and oftentimes spazz-click a CB only to find it was one I didn't want (Flamingo vs. Pink, Volcano born Pyralspite) and then forget I had to wait six hours to abandon.

...the only reason I don't think a pop up box would be useful is because so many of us do just autopilot through our breedings,  I know I'd still click OK and still auto eggs now and then, pop up or not...

I don't actually recall seeing anyone appearing to be peeved about this, just saying that they'd prefer it to be optional because they'd prefer not to have flashy text or whatever.

We've all autoed eggs it was painful to lose and can sympathize, and I know that even now I sometimes come close to breeding, or even actually do so, without clicking on my trophy to check to be certain that I have room.

I'd personally like something like TheCompleteAnimorph's provided example, although I also would rather not have something large and decidedly non-medieval appearing anywhere on my scroll, if I could avoid it.

But we all have different personal tastes, which seems to be what's being hashed out here, and I shouldn't think that anyone's getting particularly upset over this.

Sorry to hear about your losses, though.

Edit: just to mention, don't know if that was a typo, but there's a 5-hour wait to dump misclicks, so it could be worse, and at least isn't 6 hours, if you're waiting that long. smile.gif

Edited by Syphoneira

I don't actually recall seeing anyone appearing to be peeved about this, just saying that they'd prefer it to be optional because they'd prefer not to have flashy text or whatever.

We've all autoed eggs it was painful to lose and can sympathize, and I know that even now I sometimes come close to breeding, or even actually do so, without clicking on my trophy to check to be certain that I have room.

I'd personally like something like TheCompleteAnimorph's provided example, although I also would rather not have something large and decidedly non-medieval appearing anywhere on my scroll, if I could avoid it.

Exactly. I'm fine with a warning - especially if it's optional (why it would annoy me if it was a THING would be that I do breed for the AP and it would be really annoying to have that extra hoop to jump through during a mass breeding !)

What several of us DON'T like is the idea of garish or even flashing text. Even that great big blue shriek mark is TOTALLY out of place on cave pages - it just doesn't fit in. Mostly because it's blue and nothing else is - even red would be better, but even so... AS Syph says - it is TOTALLY non-mediaeval.

I would PARTICULARLY hate a popup - not least because my browser is set to block ALL of them, and that would make breeding sheer hell !

But for eggs that DID auto - I have got every last one I cared about back by renaming the parents, since that was possible. Just a thought for that Thunder, Aang.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'm not really agressive or vehemently against this, just feel that the tools and knowledge already exist and are just not used often enough or one simply rushes trhough things enough to fully remember that anything bred will be AP'd. IN the end its our fault because we have plenty of ways of ensuring we do not breed on a full scroll but we still do so meh.

This honestly affects no one and though I feel it is unesecary or to some degree a waste of time, I might as well ensure that if implemented it is something that is either optional or in no way overly excessive to the point where I will then come to hate it. Simple alert on the page itself with some bold text under the breeding pair or a page redirect that shows the pair you want and a page that has you type in your password or "BREED" in all caps to have it happen with a message saying

You are about to breed the following dragons:

dragon image with code underneath x dragon image with code underneath

ATTENTION: Any eggs produced by the following pair will be abandoned due to having reached full egg/growing creature limit (xx/xx)

Please type in BREED in all capitals below to complete the action.

Being redirected to a page like this would be nice.

Especially if you decide to spam-breed all your shinies for the AP. /shot

I've gone on tinsel/shimmer breeding sprees recently, and I'd probably not do it if I had to jump through any additional hoops.

Especially if you decide to spam-breed all your shinies for the AP. /shot

I've gone on tinsel/shimmer breeding sprees recently, and I'd probably not do it if I had to jump through any additional hoops.

Exactly! If there were another step involved in the process I think most of us who breed nice stuff for the AP would be stopped in our tracks. It takes enough time now and adding an extra password step would just make it not worth the trouble! Please, please, please NO popups or new password pages!

A simple message in bold print would be okay with me and should be enough to prevent accidents if you are paying any attention at all to what you are doing.

I think users should have the option: Pop-up or no warning. A simple tick box in account settings would suffice. I think the default should be on, so that new users can keep the precious few eggs they breed, and then they turn it off if they don't like it. Think of it as a 'tutorial' kind of thing that you can turn off whenever you like.

For some people, yes, it'll be annoying to go into account settings and turn off the annoying box. But you only have to do that once, and many people will be happier because they don't lose quite as many eggs to the AP.

I also think that adding a simple bold text with the breeding text would be good. It doesn't get in the way but it might be enough to remind some people. When I said 'make it twinkly', I was joking. Really, an animated laser display for 'you are egglocked' is just a little over the top, don't you think?

Yall want something that wi'll help you but goodness forbid you have to go through one extra step to ensure you get what you actually want. Maybe TJ should just have some kind of thing that screams "WIAT! FULL SCROLL!!" at you the moment you click on the breed action and before you choose a mate. Simple, not in the way, gonna make you piss your pants but hey it alredted you.

Personally something like the verification required image or message or whatever but under the dragon that is chosen to mate would work if everyone's hands seems like they'll fall off if an extra click is added here and there. Too much work is not worth the good deed we do. So a nice simple, non flashy, alret image with a statement saying something abou APing your egg cuz your full should work then. Simple, a little in your face but not too much, no extra work, not easy to miss, and it lets you know so at that point if you auto AP it is 100% your fault no matter what (not that it wasnt already buuuuut).

If there were another step involved in the process I think most of us who breed nice stuff for the AP would be stopped in our tracks. (...) Please, please, please NO popups or new password pages!

This basically. I pay attention when I breed - after all, clicking the 'egg limits' page is all you need to do to know if you're locked or not. I really don't want to deal with pop-ups or confirmation because other players don't pay attention (or can't count, or are too lazy to check the limits page, or whatever the current excuse is).

I'm fine with a bolded line to the effect of 'hey, anything you breed will be APed!' But no pop-ups, confirmations, or other additional steps between clicking 'breed' and getting an egg (or not getting an egg).

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Please no pop-ups. They are in-your-face and annoying and really, really annoying. And I have no idea what would happen about the fact that I block ads/pop-ups... Would I not be able to breed?? I am clueless there.

I don't see why we can't all just compromise. TheCompleteAnimorph's mock-up is simple, non-intrusive, and still gets the job done. If people still auto because they don't *read*, well oh well.

For myself:

A popup or ANYTHING that requires any extra typing / clicks over what we have now:

NO support.

I'd rather run the risk of auto'ing a nice egg that I wanted than have to deal with even one more click in the already very click-heavy breeding process. I've auto'ed nice eggs before. I've either gotten them back or replaced them every single time. By definition, if you are breeding it, you own the parents so you CAN replace it given time.

A warning of some type on the breeding page / actions page that is purely visual and requires no extra clicks:

Support.

It does not add to the length of time it takes to breed, but it does give that little bit of extra warning. Which I'd like so long as it adds no extra clicks / time to breeding.

I breed a lot for the AP. The eggs I breed frequently end up in the Great Lineages Found in the AP thread, so many people appreciate them. I've found many lineage swap partners that way. I already don't breed as often as I'd like, because it takes hours to breed all of them. Any extra click adds a lot of cumulative time and effort into an already time intensive proposition. For those wondering: I can breed well over 100 x Holiday checkers, every one of them a nice lineage. And twice that in perfect checkers of regularly available breeds.

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

Yall want something that wi'll help you but goodness forbid you have to go through one extra step to ensure you get what you actually want. Maybe TJ should just have some kind of thing that screams "WIAT! FULL SCROLL!!" at you the moment you click on the breed action and before you choose a mate. Simple, not in the way, gonna make you piss your pants but hey it alredted you.

Personally something like the verification required image or message or whatever but under the dragon that is chosen to mate would work if everyone's hands seems like they'll fall off if an extra click is added here and there. Too much work is not worth the good deed we do. So a nice simple, non flashy, alret image with a statement saying something abou APing your egg cuz your full should work then. Simple, a little in your face but not too much, no extra work, not easy to miss, and it lets you know so at that point if you auto AP it is 100% your fault no matter what (not that it wasnt already buuuuut).

Hi, AnanoKimi!

Just to mention, different people want or will accept different things - it's not the same people arguing against their own suggestions, lol, just a healthy discussion among members to work out what would best suit most people. smile.gif

And people who may breed potentially scores or even hundreds of dragons for the AP are saying that this would be adding potentially scores or even hundreds of steps to their actions. blink.gif

Not to mention that people with various disabilities might have their hands feel as though they might drop off, or quit working, if they overdo it. sad.gif

Personally, although I'm OK with things as they stand, I'd go with TheCompleteAnimorph's suggestion as a happy, non-obtrusive compromise, and so far, this seems to appeal to a number of people. poptartFINALTINY.gif

I think either or, either the bold at the action link and/or the sort of jarring warning right on the breeding page to kind of remind you. That and make it optional.

I think either or, either the bold at the action link and/or the sort of jarring warning right on the breeding page to kind of remind you. That and make it optional.

The jarring blue shriek mark as it stands simply does not fit in the cave. I can see why some people might want something more than a sentence in bold - but not something looking like that. I don't know anyone - even those who like warnings - who thinks that BLUE looks OK !

My main opinion is this: We need some kind of warning, and we need it to be optional.

A three-way option would be extra nice - no warning, visual warning and extra-click warning. However, if TJ wants to add just an on/off warning, make it a simple visual warning. Perhaps one that's a little eye-catching, perhaps red as well as bold, but definitely just a visual one.

Could someone make a mock-up of a bold and red version of the extra text on the action? Perhaps with a few different shades of red. I'd do it myself, but I have no idea how.

The jarring blue shriek mark as it stands simply does not fit in the cave. I can see why some people might want something more than a sentence in bold - but not something looking like that. I don't know anyone - even those who like warnings - who thinks that BLUE looks OK !

I particularly like the color blue and think it looks fine .___. I mean of course other colors and designs could definitely be used but I don't see a problem with it being blue.

Anyways, I like Zeditha's idea.

Pffbbt, it looks lovely on the Portal 2 skin. wink.gif

(But no, I understand what you're saying. I imagine it really does clash with the main site skin's colours.)

Edited by pinkgothic

Pffbbt, it looks lovely on the Portal 2 skin. wink.gif

(But no, I understand what you're saying. I imagine it really does clash with the main site skin's colours.)

It does indeed. And as it is black on the dark portal skin, it CAN be changed easily enough smile.gif

I went ahead and made a mockup of this, which is my favorite solution to this by far.

user posted image

Hi, Zeditha, regarding:

My main opinion is this: We need some kind of warning, and we need it to be optional.

A three-way option would be extra nice - no warning, visual warning and extra-click warning. However, if TJ wants to add just an on/off warning, make it a simple visual warning. Perhaps one that's a little eye-catching, perhaps red as well as bold, but definitely just a visual one.

Could someone make a mock-up of a bold and red version of the extra text on the action? Perhaps with a few different shades of red. I'd do it myself, but I have no idea how.

what about this?