tridymite

Message that eggs will Auto=AP

Okay, deviation from this suggestion (which I don't support), what would y'all think of, when you breed, there's an egg count at the top of the page?

At least it would be nice to have a little message on the top of the breeding page that you are locked. It wouldn't get in the way of people who are intentionally breeding while locked, but it would be a little reminder for people who forgot they are locked.

After all, allowing you to choose to dump an egg rather than auto-dumping the bred egg doesn't really help if all the eggs are ones you want to keep. What's better is something that would remind you that you're locked and you wont go through with the breeding in the first place.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Or maybe when you attempt to breed you could get a notification saying 'Any egg produced by this breeding will be automatically abandoned. Do you want to breed them anyway?"

Personally, I'm exceedingly careful when I breed, the only accidental dump to the AP I have done is my best Ultraviolet pair producing their first purple, which I then got back.

I wouldn't support this suggestion, as other people have said, it's your own responsibility. If you make an offer on a trade when you're egglocked, and loose the trade, that's your problem. If you try to catch an egg in the cave, and you get the overburdened message, that's your fault. Yes, we are human, and do make mistakes, and I find it just annoying as anyone else, but I don't think the game should have to count for that.

On a quick side note, if you do accidentally drop a rare to the AP, that gives someone else a chance to grab one. The whole vampire rule was created so everyone stood a chance to get one, so isn't the automatic dumping kind of the same thing?

At least it would be nice to have a little message on the top of the breeding page that you are locked. It wouldn't get in the way of people who are intentionally breeding while locked, but it would be a little reminder for people who forgot they are locked.

Yes. But wouldn't that cross the border towards handholding? (Or, while we're at it, can't we have something to auto-catch rares and uncommons for us, do breeding without us ordering it, auto-incubate every egg as long as there are incubates available and use splash until we have a magikarp badge? /sarcasm)

I mean, counting up to seven eggs or 21 growing items overall isn't that hard to do, even for the occasional 6-year-old playing DC. And if you're not sure whether you can keep another egg, just go to the AP, click a random blocker and see if you can take it. If you got it onto your scroll, abandon it again and breed then.

(To make a long answer short: Do not support. And, yes, it's happened that I had bred rares auto-abandoned, too. And, while that was frustrating for me, I decided to see the good side of it, for my auto'd egg sure made someone else's day.)

Edit: added quote because I got ninja.gif 'd

Edited by olympe

i really like the egg locked message at the top of the scroll and the message when you breed something on the actions page

On a quick side note, if you do accidentally drop a rare to the AP, that gives someone else a chance to grab one. The whole vampire rule was created so everyone stood a chance to get one, so isn't the automatic dumping kind of the same thing?

the vamps should just be like the rest of the Halloween holidays cuz u don't get a chance all year around to catch a shadow walker so y a vampire idk just sayin

I would say something elaborate could be considered hand-holding, but a message on the top of the breed page is so small a thing that I personally can't see how people could object.

At least for me, most of the eggs I end up loosing are ones I'm breeding for other people to help them with their breeding projects, and those tend to be commons or uncommons. For example I bred a white to a CB marrow and made a white egg that got auto-abandoned. It's not a rare egg that's going to be extremely desirable, but it means that the person who I was breeding for has to wait a week at least for the egg I promised. [the stupid thing is I was locked with blockers I had taken from the AP to clear it, so if I had been reminded I would have dumped something and been able to keep the egg]

I tend to be a little too eager with donation breeding and I don't always remember to check, I just go to do it. xP When I'm breeding my rares I start with 0 and I keep track of any I do breed.

I would guess you could get vampires all year round because they reproduce by biting, not by breeding.

I can remember longing for a vampire after reading about them on the wiki, and how happy I felt when I first caught one on the AP. I would like to think that any rare dragons I would accidentally breed to the AP would make someone equally as happy as I was then, so as annoying as it is to loose a rare to the AP, least it would have some upside.

Maybe instead of a message, you could have a padlock icon next to the badges? As others have said, getting to choose which egg to abandon if you bred when you're egglocked seems to make this game a bit too easy, but a slight warning would be good. Course, you could always check your egg count at:

http://dragcave.net/help/egglimits

Now that would be an idea: A little "scroll badge" for 20 auto-abandoned eggs that's closed when you're egg-locked and that's open when you can still take/keep bred eggs. xd.png

ETA: Better make it a badge that grows to half your screen size if you're locked so you don't accidentally forget to check your badge to see whether you're locked or not...

Edited by olympe

Maybe instead of a message, you could have a padlock icon next to the badges? As others have said, getting to choose which egg to abandon if you bred when you're egglocked seems to make this game a bit too easy, but a slight warning would be good. Course, you could always check your egg count at:

http://dragcave.net/help/egglimits

What's wrong with a short and sweet message on the top of the "breed" page [preferably in red]? I rarely ever look at my badges, and a message on the action that needs to be reconsidered seems the most efficient.

Something like

You are currently locked, any egg you breed would be autoabandoned

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Oh - I have no objections to a message at the top of the breeding page, or a notification etc. I was referring more to the suggestion of having a notification at the top of a scroll, which would annoy me (no clue why) and was suggesting an alternative to that.

what about a pop up?

I think if I understand this was brought up before, but a pop up saying "You are at your egg max"

kind of like when you have a sick egg there's a pop up that alerts you. it's not irriating, you can ignore it. and TJ should be able to code for it.

There are people who block pop-ups. For security reasons - or just because they're often annoying.

I was thinking no popup, if nothing else, because some people do breed intentionally when they're locked [i did it a bunch the other day to spam the AP with pinks and reds and magis for the people who need BSA dragons], and I would expect a popup would be rather annoying if you're doing it intentionally. I think a notice on top of the breeding page would be enough as long as it is red and preferably bolded and/or a slightly larger size.

I was thinking no popup, if nothing else, because some people do breed intentionally when they're locked [i did it a bunch the other day to spam the AP with pinks and reds and magis for the people who need BSA dragons], and I would expect a popup would be rather annoying if you're doing it intentionally. I think a notice on top of the breeding page would be enough as long as it is red and preferably bolded and/or a slightly larger size.

Exactly. I do AP spamming (with BSA's) all the time, and a pop-up would be incredibly annoying. But I figure it would look like this:

user posted image

FOR BREED SORT PAGE ONLY

user posted image

I must admit I find this thing highly annoying. Like some people who don't want a warning about inbreeding. So... I'd like to suggest this to be an option you have to opt in to use. (Meaning: The standard is without this warning. You'll have to change the appropriate setting in your account settings.)

I must admit I find this thing highly annoying. Like some people who don't want a warning about inbreeding. So... I'd like to suggest this to be an option you have to opt in to use. (Meaning: The standard is without this warning. You'll have to change the appropriate setting in your account settings.)

Yeah, I can go for that. (Just for clarification, the first image is of the Breed Sort page, not the account page. It'd be annoying if the account page looked like that.)

~Merged, since this seems to be where things ended up~

I mean, counting up to seven eggs or 21 growing items overall isn't that hard to do, even for the occasional 6-year-old playing DC. And if you're not sure whether you can keep another egg, just go to the AP, click a random blocker and see if you can take it. If you got it onto your scroll, abandon it again and breed then.

Or click your trophy to check and see if you are open. One click, right from your scroll (where you're at anyway) and voila. =p

~

The large red text is very large and out of place (I'm assuming that's just an example to get the point across?). I wouldn't mind more natural wording, though you're going to have problems with that and with pop-ups of people actually reading them instead of ignoring the text they know so well already. x3

what if the breed action just doesn't show up at all until ur not egg locked

Some people breed when they're locked on purpose if they're breeding desirable dragons to dump any offspring on the AP so that they don't have to abandon each one, the site will do it for them. I've done it with my BSA dragons.

what if the breed action just doesn't show up at all until ur not egg locked

NO. As PF13 says, sometimes people breed just for the AP. I sometimes breed my stripes, reds, and pinks when I am locked so that they will go to the AP for someone who needs them. It gives me something to do with my dragons when I can't go hunting and helps other people at the same time.

I'm sorry, I think this skirts too close to hand holding for my tastes. There are some things: inbreeding, timing, knowing when we are at our limit-that I think we need to take responsibility for for ourselves. If we want the site changed every time we make a mistake to prevent the possibility of our making errors, where will it end?

Some people breed when they're locked on purpose if they're breeding desirable dragons to dump any offspring on the AP so that they don't have to abandon each one, the site will do it for them. I've done it with my BSA dragons.

but if u wanted to do that then you would abandon it instead its kind of meaningless 2 breed and abandon + it spams the the cave n no new cave born can obtained until the eggs r gone most of the time its inbreeds or really messy linage n its harder to get rid of em then per say cave born