TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

It's an interesting mechanic for sure. But, like the Cantor-teleport variant, it's another step away from being able to play by yourself without anyone's help. As I said in the Cantor release. DC used to be huge on the whole idea of being able to play solitarily, you could trade and such but it was never *necessary* to interact with others. Now it is. Now there are variants you can *only* get by interacting with others. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, it's just DC moving in a different direction.

You can still happen to luck out by just finding one in the AP, no meddling with other persons required. :'D

Happy 15th Anniversary, DC! Still a bit overwhelmed by all these different ways of getting the news alts, but I guess I'll get there eventually.

4 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I love all the new colours (finally some PURPLE AND ORANGE GEMSHARDS) but the mechanics required for some of those variants ... Earthquake and Abandn, really?!

Maybe I'm finally too old for this game.

I hear that - not needing them bad enough to risk losing stuff

This is not even interaction with people you WANT to interact with, but rather hoping that any random AP stalker would actually make contact with you.

There is a distinct lack of choice here, for this alt.

4 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

It's an interesting mechanic for sure. But, like the Cantor-teleport variant, it's another step away from being able to play by yourself without anyone's help. As I said in the Cantor release. DC used to be huge on the whole idea of being able to play solitarily, you could trade and such but it was never *necessary* to interact with others. Now it is. Now there are variants you can *only* get by interacting with others. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, it's just DC moving in a different direction.

Oh, I hope I got the new alt Electric from the one i just grabbed.

Still haven't see the gemshard in the cave yet.

I just caught one. Probably need 2 more? Hopefully i get one of each new color.

Edited by Spyridon

26 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

That's a good question, because my babies routinely get that many views.

Same here :( Mine get on average 1.000 unique views which will be a problem if I want to get blue or pink variants.. may I propose that the hatchlings do not change colors after hatching, please? It's not that hard to turn an egg yellow, and if it gets sick you can always fog it.. besides it would make things more challening.. that or raise the numbers of unique views needed to 1.200 maybe?

14 minutes ago, Marrionetta said:

Here's a nice piece of perspective; lineage builders are as capable of trading as everybody else. If you're specifically hoping for long lines with the abandoned alt, the best course of action for you is likely breeding many and posting rewards for finders until the right one comes home to you. I imagine this particular mechanic is going to re-teach us how to play cooperatively, like in the old days of AP trading.

I am okay with the orange cantos since we have the market, because anyone can at least swap for them there. But AP "trading" was not an official part of the game for a reason, and we got an alternative for it... So to have a version of a dragon only available through abandoning does seem very backwards. I'm sure we will adjust, but I personally don't enjoy depending on the random variable of others' breeding habits. And I certainly do not feel comfortable asking for "rewards" for my own eggs back, which is not even allowed as far as I know (falls under asking for a specific egg, which doesn't apply to multiple people), except in our signatures or something. 

10 minutes ago, Spyridon said:

You get the electric by stunning a hatchling. Gemshards we dont know other than they time based 

@rinoa26

I think this is the one that's not supposed to be obtainable yet: image.png.07743f4092d8728a75b7c24a8be7870a.png I'm guessing it will be an alt bred from the new Floret color.

This is the one I'm wondering about: image.png.a3e594c497cda94e3bb6689a6deac035.png  maybe bred from gold Floret?

6 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

This is not even interaction with people you WANT to interact with, but rather hoping that any random AP stalker would actually make contact with you.

Not to mention the other factors like;

Luck (being in the right place and time)

Choice (if it's AP only, we don't get a choice of CB/Clean Lineage/Messy/Inbred we just have to try to grab it if we want it. And also if this egg IS AP only, it takes away choice in that way too)

Play style (Not everyone can stalk the AP constantly, some also mention how DC players COULD play without interacting with others unless we wanted.)

Overall, I'm going to try and be optimistic until it's confirmed this is an AP only I'm hoping lack of views/hiding the egg will suffice. For the yellow variant, I hope the hatchies don't change color as they age...

16 minutes ago, Spyridon said:

Do you mean you just caught a Gemshard in the cave? I haven't seen anything but Florets dropping. 

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

Do you mean you just caught a Gemshard in the cave? I haven't seen anything but Florets dropping. 

I caught two in the Jungle!

7 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Don't know if they're rare or uncommon yet, but it dropped once at the beginning of the 5 minute turn then it was all florets.

Saw a Canto egg right now in Jungle. And saw another gemshard right now. XD

Edited by Spyridon

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It's more or less the return of pre-teleport AP-based trade ... Oh how I did NOT miss those times!

True, but back then we could announce that we were about to abandon something so people could be prepared to try to catch it. Now, it's days before eggs show up in the AP.

28 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I rather agree - and we can't choose lineages as easily, either. I like the solitary side of this game - we can interact when we feel like it, but...

25 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

15 minutes ago, MissK. said:

I am okay with the orange cantos since we have the market, because anyone can at least swap for them there. But AP "trading" was not an official part of the game for a reason, and we got an alternative for it... So to have a version of a dragon only available through abandoning does seem very backwards. I'm sure we will adjust, but I personally don't enjoy depending on the random variable of others' breeding habits. And I certainly do not feel comfortable asking for "rewards" for my own eggs back, which is not even allowed as far as I know (falls under asking for a specific egg, which doesn't apply to multiple people), except in our signatures or something. 

This too. I love creating MY OWN lines - no risk of others killing them when I just got to 5th gen or something.

I do wonder if there is actually another way we haven't found yet, though. I do hope so.,

Edited by Fuzzbucket

1 hour ago, snowcat11 said:

I wasn't 100% sure anyone linked a new yellow sapphire, but I had a mature hatchling change colors on me:

https://dragcave.net/view/XpZHG

1 hour ago, random_dragon_collector said:

I suppose we can get the other sapphires by trading for hatchlings.  Hopefully they keep their color once hatched.

I was also hoping they'll stay the colour they've hatched, but following snowcat11's posting, this seems not to be the case. 😕

Edited by Seriva Senkalora

I personally enjoy the different methods of obtaining alts/introducing more mechanics. It requires a different kind of work than just "refresh and grab egg" or "breed egg and pray it's an alt". It's definitely different, but I think the breeding projects could be really fun. I've definitely used the forums to help me get certain lineages and people are always happy to help out... I don't see this as any different. The other nice thing is that these are alts, not a method for getting an entirely new dragon, so you could always just work on obtaining the original dragon (or easiest-to-obtain dragon) for lineages.

I guess the one thing that's weird is hatchlings changing colours... if we already have egg indication of what alt it is, this shouldn't happen imo. Hopefully it's a glitch/unintended.

I definitely felt overwhelmed at midnight, but I realized these were all alts and weren't on any 'timer' to grab before the regular eggs started to mix in (with exception of jungle Floret I guess) so there's no rush at all.

Edited by High Lord November

I feel like the more I read this thread, the less I like these mechanics. I don't think the sapphires should change colors after they hatched. I like new Floret and Gemshard colors, but I hate time Mechanics. I need to find the hybrid breeding quick. I kinda woulda rather had more new releases honestly 

I have a suggestions for the Sapphire Dragon alts (not sure if I should make a thread in the suggestions section as we don't know the full detailes yet)... but if the only ways of getting the Yellow and Pink alts are the ones we know so far then I think the mechanism should be tweaked a little bit.

Firstly, I propose that a Sapphire can only turn yellow or pink while being an egg..

To obtain a Yellow Sapphire egg, simply get 800 unique views on the mentioned egg. So basically the same as now, except the hatchlings don't change from blue/pink to yellow,

To obtain a Pink Sapphire egg, keep the current mechanic of abandoned eggs turning pink. But I think there should be a second method which anyone could use to get it - keep an egg past hatch time (4 days) with less than 10 unique views. If the egg will reach 3d 23h and it will have less than 10 unique views, then it will turn pink.. this way you still wait for a Pink one, but it's not as hard to build lineages and whatnot with them..

I do get the frustration of the hardship of getting certain eggs because not all of us can haunt the AP for so long.

But I just accept the growing complexity of the game because DC does need to keep things fresh. Imagine if they ever release a dragon where you have to use multiple BSA in a specific combination to unlock a variant or if you have to teleport a dragon not once but twice? Or maybe you try killing a dragon and instead it morphs into a demon from hell?

Wouldn't mind new locations. I mean, you catch deep sea dragons near the coastline? I guess I just accept it as they come to the shallows to lay their eggs. I hope DC launches a location near the sea trenches. A dragon that lives in the magma that comes up between the sea mounts. Or the ones that live in permafrost. XD oh the possibilities.

Just now, Velvetie said:

I have a suggestions for the Sapphire Dragon alts (not sure if I should make a thread in the suggestions section as we don't know the full detailes yet)... but if the only ways of getting the Yellow and Pink alts are the ones we know so far then I think the mechanism should be tweaked a little bit.

Firstly, I propose that a Sapphire can only turn yellow or pink while being an egg..

To obtain a Yellow Sapphire egg, simply get 800 unique views on the mentioned egg. So basically the same as now, except the hatchlings don't change from blue/pink to yellow,

To obtain a Pink Sapphire egg, keep the current mechanic of abandoned eggs turning pink. But I think there should be a second method which anyone could use to get it - keep an egg past hatch time (4 days) with less than 10 unique views. If the egg will reach 3d 23h and it will have less than 10 unique views, then it will turn pink.. this way you still wait for a Pink one, but it's not as hard to build lineages and whatnot with them..

That's a good point! Honestly at first I thought the 'lonely' Sapphire WAS going to be hatching at a low time with lower views, so I fogged one. It made sense as a counterpart to an egg that got a ton of views. This would be a smart way to let players control the colour of their lineages solo on top of the abandonment mechanic.

1 minute ago, High Lord November said:

That's a good point! Honestly at first I thought the 'lonely' Sapphire WAS going to be hatching at a low time with lower views, so I fogged one. It made sense as a counterpart to an egg that got a ton of views. This would be a smart way to let players control the colour of their lineages solo on top of the abandonment mechanic.

Yes, I believe it would be a nice way to balance things. You'd have the "quick" way of getting a pink sapphire from the abandoned page, and a "longer" alternative of keeping an egg hidden until it's past hatch time.. it would be up to TJ if incubation would affect it or not, or if the time should be lower.. but I really think it would be the nicest alternative.

But then again, I'd rather have Sapphires not changing colors after hatching honestly

Would've preferred new dragons over alts, especially if some are as hard to get as it sounds they'll be. I well remember people being scolded in DR for years for making alts just to make alts, and now it seems like that's all the rage among newly introduced breeds, not to mention this.

If they have new sprite work it'll be a bit better, though.

Also in terms of complex dragon obtaining conditions; DC by nature is a waiting game. I play it for that calm, just as I play action based games for action. I understand that some people might like the new dynamics, but it's not what I'm seeking when I pop in once or twice a week.