TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

It's interesting to see all the mechanics integrated into getting the variants.  However, I'm not very happy about the abandon and EQ mechanics being included.  I collect 3 CB pairs of each release, so getting the new sapphires will be next to impossible for me.  And I don't like the risk of mass killing eggs on the hope of getting the new Canto, an egg that's still next to impossible to get that I'm still working on. :(  All these different mechanics all at once feel like work, not fun, for me.

Finally caught up on the thread.

Very surprised to see the flood of new eggs end so suddenly.  I thought it would have lasted longer.  I just caught the end of it myself.  

In addition to my earlier attempts, I bred my four lonely Coppers.  No new ones, but did get another two old Coppers which I am keeping since goodness knows I need more of the breed.

My suggestion for solving the obvious issue of getting the colour of CB Sapphire egg that you want from the AP is that maybe the egg could change colour between the two colours each time it is abandoned.  Yes, everyone is going to be going crazy grabbing the pink ones at first, and most people aren't going to want to abandon them, but maybe if it is abandoned a second time it could change back?  

Earthquake... eeek.  I only ever used that BSA once, when it first was introduced.  I seem to recall my full clutch had a 50-50 rate of survival and I never used it again after that one attempt.  Definitely not going to try it now, but may give it a shot when I have fewer or only one egg to risk. 

But now I need to decide what to do with my last egg slot.  New Electric, warded Cantor, or try for a Gemshard.

I second the suggestion of doubling egg slots for birthday events.

ETA: I kind of wish there were more alts like the alt blacks, vines and undines.  I love it when one of those hatches and there is a nice surprise alt for me.  Though it is so long since I had any of them I can barely remember. 

Edited by FullMoonDreams

Putting a theory out there. Is it possible that the three variants of Floret come from breeding Purple, Gold and Peach in different combinations? Which would fit with two variants not being available yet, as we can’t breed Peach x Gold or Purple x Peach yet. Or has this been mooted and debunked already? Going to give it a go with some Purple and Golds now.

Somebody did try breeding purple to gold, and got purple. That's not definitive, of course. I think after an initial few "successes" with the grape color that got debunked as glitches, people just concentrated on all the other new combos.

5 minutes ago, oxoniensis said:

Putting a theory out there. Is it possible that the three variants of Floret come from breeding Purple, Gold and Peach in different combinations? Which would fit with two variants not being available yet, as we can’t breed Peach x Gold or Purple x Peach yet. Or has this been mooted and debunked already? Going to give it a go with some Purple and Golds now.

I don't think there's been a lot of Floret breeding yet, with everything else going on.  I've actually been wondering if they might be PB color variant, like the Undines?

I'm waiting on egg space to try and breed mine.

Edited by Pourlemoment

Just now, Pourlemoment said:

I don't think there's been a lot of Floret breeding yet, with everything else going on.  I've actually been wondering if they might be PB color variant, like the Undines?

Just had a brief experiment, with 4 Purple x Gold, had one ‘no egg’ and 3 Gold Floret eggs. Not a large enough number to be conclusive, but not too promising for my theory! On the other hand, there’ll be some nice second gen Gold Florets turning up in the AP in a couple of days. 😊

Given that the magentas have all been debunked as unavailable, and the other two colors look like a cross of the cb peach one and the originals, I don't think we're getting any of the other three until our peaches start growing. Maybe don't waste your breedings yet, or you'll be sad in 5 days when you can't breed more.

Edited by Shadowdrake

In terms of biome drop-rates, it seems all these new alts/variants don't 'count' as 'new release'... It's fairly normal for old breeds to mix in at this point in the day on new-release day, but there are usually still plenty of new releases to be seen especially at the 5-min shuffles. The fact that old breeds are the vast majority of biome-eggs seen at this point makes me think maybe we simply don't get any sort of 'flood' coding for sapphires/gemshards/etc. (I remember seeing a good amount of gemshards when the release first started, and I caught one this morning, but there is definitely a difference between the amount we've had today and a normal 'release' flood.)

My second Floret theory is that three of them are  not real Florets, but some kind of cuckoo, imposter. The hatchlings are quite different, and bulkier, almost as though they’ve dressed up as Florets, but are really something different underneath. 

I suspect I’m wildly off base here, but thought I’d put it out there!

14 minutes ago, oxoniensis said:

I think Florets are going to biome specific, with the 4 "new" varieties shown

orange/peach - jungle

original gold - alpine 

original purple - forest

3 minutes ago, oxoniensis said:

The hatchlings are quite different, and bulkier, almost as though they’ve dressed up as Florets, but are really something different underneath. 

TJ already said this is a display glitch. The hatchies when viewed individually in the cave are all the same size.

1 minute ago, Fyrebird said:

TJ already said this is a display glitch. The hatchies when viewed individually in the cave are all the same size.

Yes, but the hatchies themselves are still different than the original Florets. Slightly different pose, and bulkier/thicker body. There might be a clue there... 

1 minute ago, Fyrebird said:

I’m not actually thinking of the size at all, but the body shape, chunkier feet, etc. They’re a lot more muscular. Definitely quite different in style. So I’m still playing with my theory a bit longer! 😆

45 minutes ago, The Evil Doer said:

Seriously? not even 24 hours into the release and biomes already have regular eggs in them, 

Yup. Since only one egg dropped, it makes sense to have eggs everywhere else (though the florets are suddenly scarce in the jungle).

15 mostly bred/BSA'd recolors is awesome - enough to keep me busy through the summer, without the BUT REMEMBER THE COPPERS?! panic.

Also, I know the abandon-only Sapphire irritates people, but I...think I'm into it?

How long have folks complained about being disadvantaged in trading because their internet is too slow for the biomes, so they mostly poke around in the AP? A person could conceivably do well for themselves digging for lineages and rehoming AP Sapphires.

Edited by schmupti
When I typo, I typo hard

Hrrk, too many new things. DX Maybe an increase in egg/hatchie/growing dragons count is in order if releases are going to be like this?

Managed to fill up on a couple of new things, but hecc trying that EQ canto. Maybe when I'm not raising anything else... Assuming the other one is related to Warding?

12 minutes ago, Caspod said:

No no no already no more drops?! 😥

I think you are right. I got one earlier and then figured I'd get more after other folks had a chance. Does anyone know if they will continue to appear in the jungla or join the other florets in their respective biomes?

I'm really excited by all the lavish egg gifts- feels like my birthday instead of DC's. Thanks for all the hard work, creative thinking and great dragon art!

48 minutes ago, schmupti said:

How long have folks complained about being disadvantaged in trading because their internet is too slow for the biomes, so they mostly poke around in the AP? A person could conceivably do well for themselves digging for lineages and rehoming AP Sapphires.

Nope. Haven't spent much time in the AP lately? Still going to be a speed test. Labradorites and anything shiny is instagrab like hatchlings. You blink, it's gone. It's new, it's gone. It's gone before your connection finishes loading the egg images. What this has done has put a whole lot more eyes on the AP, making it just as competitive as the biomes. 

Everything about the birthday release is harder for those with slower connections if they missed the morning Jungle drop.

Also the EQ Cantor is now the new Staterae.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

I tried to breed a new copper, out of 7 tries I got 1 no egg, 1 no interest (with fertility) and 5 eggs of the electric type. XD

At least I have a new nilia. 

It remains to be seen whether pink sapphires will be tradeable, no? That's my only chance at getting one. I'll trade a 2g prize easy for a pair.

So, this morning somebody mentioned seeing a lot of yellow sapphires in the hatcheries, but I didn't see any. I've even checked hatcheries that I don't typically use, and didn't find any. Other than TJ's (which have already hatched), I've only seen the one that was posted here (which is now hidden).

Does the wild yellow sapphire truly exist?

Oh. Happy birthday DC! Now I should be going to get Electric and Sophrosyne :D (Actually I've been hoping to get them from before, but I was too lazy to do my best)

Edited by baepbird

so will a Purple Floret x Celestial still give one of the new Florets? thanks!