TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

Well, I must say that I'm still a bit confused about the Florets (though I get the sense as I've read through most of the thread that that's everyone's sense lol), and I'm not sure how I'll finagle those pink Sapphires, but I'm excited to have some projects to work on! I already hoarded Florets, so it's nice to have more to look for. [=

Happy birthday, DC! Here's to all the frantic spreadsheet reorg! 

11 minutes ago, Feathers said:

Happy birthday, DC! Here's to all the frantic spreadsheet reorg! 

Oh man, I didn't even think about that, lol. I've been screenshotting things as we figure them out, just so I can keep track, but I didn't even think about how so many new alts/variants is going to screw with my spreadsheets! 

So nice! I joined DC somewhere in 2008, 15 years is remarkable! Thanks for all the new eggs ❤️

Man, the first day isn't even over yet, and we already have unrelated stuff cluttering up the biomes ... I was hoping to catch at least 1 of either Sapphire, Gemshard or Electric ...

39 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

if we are correct about the gemshard colors being different each day (plus one day of 'chaos'), is that only from today forward?

That depends on whether its based on the date the egg was created (stolen/bred), or the day it hatches. We don't know that answer for sure yet.

Thank you for lots of new pretties to collect.  Though apparently I am missing some of the other sprites of certain dragons that were already available, so am playing catch up.

My purple Florets are apparently all not in the mood for producing eggs today.  Realised I had run out and bred one of the yellow ones instead.  A clutch of four eggs (something I don't recall ever seeing outside of the holidays) though no new ones.  That being said, I didn't realise it was even possible to get a purple Floret and a yellow Floret in the same clutch when one of the parents wasn't a Floret at all.  So, at least I learnt something new today. 

I have managed to get a few of the CB Florets and a new Royal and Nilia.  

Someone mentioned in Discord that today's update/release mechanic retroactively also applies to existing gemshards eggs.

1 minute ago, Jazeki said:

Someone mentioned in Discord that today's update/release mechanic retroactively also applies to existing gemshards eggs.

If that is true then surely it must depend on hatch time... 

Edited by MissK.

Good news is, sapphires only cost 200 shards from the Market. Guess I know where my future CBs are coming from, at least for a while. I've been saving my shards since I came back, waiting to see what I can't get myself through being an insomniac or lucky trading.

Obviously I'm not going to abandon a market egg, but I should be able to turn it yellow. (It says you can't trade them; CAN they be abandoned?)

What does this quote from the Wiki mean?  

These location-specific alts may not behave like their counterparts from their respective biomes when breeding due to being clearly marked as from the "market."

The location-specfic variants can throw a eggs of either color even if they're from the cave, right?

(I'm uncomfortable of calling all of these "alts". There used to be a strict definition of alts that did not include biome [e.g. baikala] or random [e.g. dorsal] color differences. Those were called "variants." I think the only ones called alts were the two black dragon variants (sitting and standing), the vine, and the undine. Is this relaxing of the terminology another change that happened while I was away?)

Finally caught up on everything, and I've got opinions!!!!

I loved that there was only 1 *new* egg to catch, the Florets, with gemshards/cantors/sapphires mixed in to those drops. Made it very easy to stock up on Florets. I snagged a gemshard while still on my workbreak on my phone, so in my experience I thought it was pretty easy to catch the eggs I needed.

I'm a little frustrated if abandoning is really the only way to get Pink Sapphires. I'm down to set up a forum thread and start tracking when we breed/abandon Sapphires so we can nab em back! It's different than I'm used to, but doable! Those not wanting to use the forum I can see having more frustrations over it though. 

Another side note, I don't think I've ever used Earthquake! Maybe once? But I'm curious to see how it works out! I'm super excited.

I was hoping the "grape" floret eggs would stay, but oh well. Hopefully we can figure out how to genuinely get them without too much fuss!

Super curious to see if the time mechanic for Gemshards is day of the week based, days left on egg based, or possibly something we haven't considered yet!

Can anybody who got a grape floret egg confirm if they've changed? If so, what did they change to? @HeatherMarie?

8 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

Obviously I'm not going to abandon a market egg, but I should be able to turn it yellow. (It says you can't trade them; CAN they be abandoned?)

Yes, they can be abandoned, just not teleported (so no trades or one-ways). Some of us buy stuff specifically to abandon it for others.

When it comes to terminology, I think the line between alts and variants has blurred considerably with so many new additions the past few years. I'm not sure if there are any official definitions of each, though I'm curious what the spriters themselves call these new ones. 

edit: My dark-purple Floret changed to a regular purple Floret.

Edited by HeatherMarie

3 hours ago, High Lord November said:

I know!! When "two new BSAs" were mentioned, I was hoping for Float (to protect certain eggs from EQ) and an egg freezing mechanic. Or a zombie chance increase mechanic. Those are my top three. Was a bit sad to discover they were just two new BSA-variant Cantormaris instead of two new BSAs. Hopefully one day, we can dream!

PLEASE no unnecessary BSA for freezing eggs. Just let us use the freeze action we already have...

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

PLEASE no unnecessary BSA for freezing eggs. Just let us use the freeze action we already have...

I dunno, I kinda liked the suggestion for "petrify". Maybe the new-to-me Lacula/"Slytherin" dragon can do it. Or the nocturne dragons. The stone dragons already have an extra purpose in creating geodes. (Ah, I remember the days when geodes were the only hybrid.)

I didn't even realize Pitfires had an alt form. I know what I'm now doing for this halloween. XD

Considering DC has a mythology around mana and magic, I would think there would be a lot of BSAs.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I will take anything, to be honest. This discussion belongs in a different thread though!

2 hours ago, bloodyneptune said:

I mean, you could just wait till you have no eggs, grab the Cantos, then use EQ and not risk anything but the Cantos. We don't have to risk killing other growing things as well, just time using the BSA

Well, yes, I know that! But when do I ever have no eggs? I tend toward scroll lock most of the time. So this means I will have to make the supreme effort of having nothing but Cantos on my scroll. If I could catch 8 CB Cantos in a day and get my CB goals for this variant satisfied all at once that might not be so bad, but frankly I have never managed after the release period to catch more than 2 in a day and I have not managed to even fulfill my scroll goals for all of the original release ones yet.

Thanks for your advice. I still don't like this mechanic.

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

Well, yes, I know that! But when do I ever have no eggs? I tend toward scroll lock most of the time. So this means I will have to make the supreme effort of having nothing but Cantos on my scroll. If I could catch 8 CB Cantos in a day and get my CB goals for this variant satisfied all at once that might not be so bad, but frankly I have never managed after the release period to catch more than 2 in a day and I have not managed to even fulfill my scroll goals for all of the original release ones yet.

Thanks for your advice. I still don't like this mechanic.

Would you consider filling up on market Cantors to get them over with? They're only 100 shards, very cheap.

Edited by High Lord November

Has anybody managed to breed a blue or brown floret yet? It's only the grapes we've been told aren't possible yet, implying that these two are bred from the purple and gold ones.

2 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

Would you consider filling up on market Cantors to get them over with? They're only 100 shards, very cheap.

For me, I could use the 800 shards for a gold or other rare dragons since that's 2 months worth without a break.

Would be nice if the shard limits increased during release since I get locked within 1 day of the new week.

I mean, I can only buy 2 eggs a year due to their prices.

still debating if I should drop the extra canto or not.

25 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

Heck, I've been considering it just to get the others I still need. But I have been trying to save enough shards to buy a second (and probably my last ever) CB Stat and that would set me back another 8 weeks at minimum. And that's just if EQ doesn't kill any of them!

Edited by purplehaze

23 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

Who wants to risk spending 800 shards and then losing them all to Earthquake?