TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

Just now, DragonLady86 said:

As far as we know, their mechanics are time based.

Oh sorry I meant in regards to all of them.

But thanks for the confirmation for the gemshards. XD

That's... a lot of information to take in. Happy birthday!

I'm glad it's mostly bred alts/species, something I don't really need to actively hunt like a madman. Nice! Although, one out of two Nilia breedings failed for me, now I have an uneven number of eggs. My sense of order is screaming, but what can you do, lol! I'm locked.

Just now, Spyridon said:

Oh sorry I meant in regards to all of them.

But thanks for the confirmation for the gemshards. XD

Incubate will turn a Canto red if its the last bsa used. Influence afaik does not effect any of them.

So is there just the new drop and the rest is overly complicated breeding?

3 hours ago, purplehaze said:

And now we have to risk killing it (and everything else on our scrolls) just to get a new color? Really? I am not pleased.

I love the creativity of our dragon creators, but I think this just goes a bit too far.

I mean, you could just wait till you have no eggs, grab the Cantos, then use EQ and not risk anything but the Cantos. We don't have to risk killing other growing things as well, just time using the BSA

someone suggested new biomes; I've always felt like there was a gap for grasslands/plains, so that could be an idea! The Float BSA suggestion also sounds helpful.

I also wanted to say that I like the sprite updates for the existing copper dragons! the wings look a lot more realistic and I like the removal of the ribcage-y muscles in favour of a more toned look.

Will the sapphire descriptions change, or will they remain as blue/blue-green? Inaccurate visual descriptions always irk me a bit 😅

For the gemshards, I have no evidence but I'm just guessing that it's based on the day of the week they are either bred or hatch on, with possibly Sunday being a random colouring day?

FINALLY completely caught up with the 20 (!!!) pages in this thread already, quoting some things first before i give my own thoughts, not that many will care too much about them :P 

3 hours ago, Murkydepths said:

but I really don't like the mechanic of having to ap to get pink. It means we won't get cb blue sapphires in the ap any more, and is just a very unreliable way to get a colour variant. 

i agree with this. i get most of my CBs from the AP because i dont have much time to stalk for the eggs i need and then wait the full 2 days (minimum) for them to hatch, and there are other projects id like to work on as well so i hate to lock myself with high-timed CB eggs. which is why generally i pick up off the AP, but this is going to make it impossible to get cb blue sapphires from the ap. i could pick them up myself, no big deal (before anyone comes at me about this XD), but i did want to point out how it affects my playstyle. 

2 hours ago, Moonlightelf said:
Spoiler

Two-headed and drakes yet again getting the short end of the stick.

idk why the quote on this one glitched out on me and turned out really big, but haha i agree. :( i like drakes but theres always so few out there. we did just get a two headed though. hopefully next release will be a drake. one can hope.

3 hours ago, Miraku said:

As it is I find those Cantos, pretty hard to catch. Now I would never want to use EQ on the precious eggs just to get a new variant.

Also the sapphire egg which changes color after abandoning. I'm not sure if I'll be lucky enough to obtain CBs of these with my slow clicking speed.

also seconding this as well.

41 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

but back in the day a CB egg could end up in the AP if nobody picked it up from the cave.

definitely not the case. that was for when the AP was lacking in eggs, right? we have too many eggs in the AP now for that to ever happen again, most likely. unless im totally wrong, then please correct me LOL

now, my own thoughts.

i very much dislike having to rely on the AP for these. and not being able to get blue sapphires unless theyre either caught in cave by you, or are completely your own project, and even then it seems tricky to get blues now anyway because you need to control the amount of views that they get. which, honestly, i dont think is fully a bad thing, but sometimes you cant monitor them so closely and some people may struggle to get blues anymore because they dont have the time to keep that close of an eye on their dragons to prevent them from turning... whichever color it was that turns when they have a lot of views. (i forgot XD

blue sapphires on the AP will be such a narrow window, because yes someone can auto it and have a blue show up there, but what if someone else picks it up, decides they dont like it (if they are as picky as i am sometimes with lineages...), and tosses it back. it will no longer be blue, ruining it for someone else who may have wanted to keep it but now wouldnt want it because it lost its color. and besides, the mechanic doesnt really make much sense to me anyway in general...

i also am not a huge fan of using earthquake. ive always wanted to utilize earthquake more, but it honestly feels really HIGH risk, low reward. i'd love to have green cantors, in fact, green is one of my least favorite colors but i LOVE the shade of green that they are and think it might be one of my new favorite cantor color variations, and i dont mind something being harder to obtain (i go on neglecting sprees and i like vampires!). but i HATE to put ALL of my eggs at risk for a color change, for something that is HIGHLY likely to fail. either killing the eggs, or the hatchlings run away. ive always wished earthquake would be tweaked, i know the purpose is for it to have that risk attached, but... still. its very annoying. very very annoying.

to end on a high note though, im excited on the possiblity of more control over gemshards! and the nilias look nice too :) very curious about the florets... 

This all seems so needlessly complicated!  And you have to try to kill some of your eggs to get some of the new ones?!  WHAT THE HECK!  I don't mind breeding but this is insane!  And are those pink eggs in the Jungle the only cave ones?

1 hour ago, Fyrebird said:

2547060_DC15birthday-eggs.png.a8fd563bfc0ad24ffdf4c42dbe6ff5c3.png2547060_DC15birthday-eggs.png.a8fd563bfc0ad24ffdf4c42dbe6ff5c3.png

Thanks! :D

Also: Having read more of the thread, I have to say I'm not that happy that I have to risk killing my eggs to get an alt. That doesn't seem very fair at all. I'm also not happy that I have to abandon an egg in order to get an alt. That also doesn't seem very fair. :(

Everything else I like & they seem fairly easy to get.

And I have a question: Since I've never bought a gemstone egg from the marketplace, how do we choose what color we want? I don't want to spend the shards & get a color I already have, or be limited to a single color, for example "blue."

Edited by kiramaru7

Loving the new pretties so far, though I usually withhold judgment until they grow.  Now if only we could have more slots to collect and experiment... 

Here's to 15 more years of DC madness!   Thank you for these last 15, TJ!   

35 minutes ago, Spyridon said:

Okay got my 3 new gemshards.

Before I start doing anything, the influence and incubate BSAs don't do anything for these breeds right?

How did you get them? Are they CB or did you breed them? And if they're CB, where did you find them? (for future reference since I'm egg-locked. XD)

Cheers for 15 years! For some reason I always perfectly time my lineage breeding during new egg drops, so I'll have to wait a bit to grab these pretties.

22 minutes ago, Vic said:

This all seems so needlessly complicated!  And you have to try to kill some of your eggs to get some of the new ones?!  WHAT THE HECK!  I don't mind breeding but this is insane!  And are those pink eggs in the Jungle the only cave ones?

When there's a new release, that's usually the only thing dropping. People have picked up gemshards though. And old eggs will mix back in at some point.

Unrelated, but all the new hatchies look great. Love the fat florets. 

31 minutes ago, bloodyneptune said:

I mean, you could just wait till you have no eggs, grab the Cantos, then use EQ and not risk anything but the Cantos. We don't have to risk killing other growing things as well, just time using the BSA

I've only used Earthquake maybe once since 2012, so I'm curious, Earthquake BSA can't affect any growing hatchies on your scroll, only eggs, right? 

11 minutes ago, kiramaru7 said:

How did you get them? Are they CB or did you breed them? And if they're CB, where did you find them? (for future reference since I'm egg-locked. XD)

You have to stay in Jungle and every so often, a gemshard or canto will break through the flood of the florets.

1 minute ago, Syiren said:

I've only used Earthquake maybe once since 2012, so I'm curious, Earthquake BSA can't affect any growing hatchies on your scroll, only eggs, right? 

It only affects eggs. Though I'm surprised hatchlings don't attempt to fly away. Some birds flee when they sense one coming in our area.

Edited by Spyridon

11 minutes ago, Syiren said:

Correct. EQ only affects eggs. If the egg has a crack in it, and the egg has less than 6 hours on it, then there's the possibility of the egg hatching (and then either you catch the hatchling, or it runs away meaning you lose it), nothing happening, or the egg dying. If the egg has more than 6 hours days on it and/or no cracks, then the two options are "remain unaffected" or "egg dying".

Edited by High Lord November

34 minutes ago, bloodyneptune said:

This is basically what we'll have to do, yes, but it's super frustrating and inconvinient especially given we have a max of 8 eggs at once and some of us rarely have a lot of empty slots. This means we'll have to deliberately not grab or breed anything except Cantors for multiple days (given that EQ on freshly-bred eggs is almost always going to kill them). 

31 minutes ago, surelychoo said:

Will the sapphire descriptions change, or will they remain as blue/blue-green? Inaccurate visual descriptions always irk me a bit 😅

This confused the heck out of me when I first saw it, lol. The descriptions are either deliberately misleading (which I'm unsure TJ/spriters would actually do) or they just weren't changed and hopefully will be changed soon...

20 minutes ago, kiramaru7 said:

And I have a question: Since I've never bought a gemstone egg from the marketplace, how do we choose what color we want? I don't want to spend the shards & get a color I already have, or be limited to a single color, for example "blue."

As far as I know you can't choose the color. Breeds with random variants like gemshards are completely random what you get when you buy one, you just have to wait and see what it is when it hatches. Now, due to this new release it's possible that has changed, but that's how it used to be.

3 minutes ago, Spyridon said:

You have to stay in Jungle and every so often, a gemshard or canto will break through the flood of the florets.

There are also Cantos, Sapphires etc dropping in Alpine, Coast, and Volcano now. Possibly other biomes too, that’s just where I’ve seen them.

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

As far as I know you can't choose the color. Breeds with random variants like gemshards are completely random what you get when you buy one, you just have to wait and see what it is when it hatches. Now, due to this new release it's possible that has changed, but that's how it used to be.

Tell me about it. I love blue gemshards but I tend to get them to hatch red. I'm hoping to get at least one of every color with the 3 i got but I most likely will have to trade fror them.

24 minutes ago, kiramaru7 said:

You dont. The color you get as random as grabbing from the cave. However as they now have a time mechanic instead, that may also effect the market. But we dont know how it works yet.

2 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

Correct. EQ only affects eggs. If the egg has a crack in it, and the egg has less than 6 hours on it, then there's the possibility of the egg hatching (and then either you catch the hatchling, or it runs away meaning you lose it), nothing happening, or the egg dying. If the egg has more than 6 hours on it and/or no cracks, then the two options are "remain unaffected" or "egg dying".

That explains why mine went wrong. I think they were around the 5 day range and 4 were unaffected and the other 2 died. (I was a Silver badge at the time) Thank you so much! ^_^

1 minute ago, oxoniensis said:

There are also Cantos, Sapphires etc dropping in Alpine, Coast, and Volcano now. Possibly other biomes too, that’s just where I’ve seen them.

Oh goody. I accidentally picked up an extra canto so I might trade for the sapphire. We'll have to see.

4 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

Correct. EQ only affects eggs. If the egg has a crack in it, and the egg has less than 6 hours on it, then there's the possibility of the egg hatching (and then either you catch the hatchling, or it runs away meaning you lose it), nothing happening, or the egg dying. If the egg has more than 6 hours on it and/or no cracks, then the two options are "remain unaffected" or "egg dying".

Has this been confirmed? This is the first I'm hearing about any '6 hour' rule. To my knowledge it's just the more stats and less time left, the better chance of hatching. 

48 minutes ago, bloodyneptune said:

That is what I will do when I intend to get mine, but it's still a risk for those eggs at least. I could get a bunch of CB cantos, wait a few days, EQ them and end up with nothing to show for it but eggshells. Personally I'm used to my scroll looking like a graveyard because of zombies and ND experiments, but yeah, still seems surprising for a mechanism of regular eggs. 

I love your Bucky avatar btw. 

Edited by MissK.