TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

14 minutes ago, caya said:

The bottom one is new.

The old copper egg has some beige/brownish part on the left side or top right.

I'm getting flashbacks to the old Vine and Black alt eggs. Not cool lol.

Happy birthday DragCave!

Just went on break at work and knew I'd have some hunting to do, but jeez! These 30 minutes are barely gonna scratch the surface, haha. 

Super excited to get in and do a deep dive and experiment later for the others, unless yall figure it out before I get off work.

Edited by Serotina

9 hours ago, Nightwalkerkey said:

People always do say they want something rarer, lol

I never say that!  I know others do, but it just make me despair.

3 minutes ago, Wiz said:

I'm getting flashbacks to the old Vine and Black alt eggs. Not cool lol.

I spent more time than I care to remember comparing S1 vine hatchies for alts.   Today, After trying for ages, I got a Copper that I then abandoned as I thought it wasn't the new one. Turned out it was, so someone in the AP will be happy. Since got two more though, so not too bad.

Appreciate the time and effort for the new dragons but... this is very overwhelming. I'm someone who's not very keen for complicated mechanics to obtain alt versions and I don't typically remember to breed or care for breeding. Wish there were fewer alts all at once and, perhaps, some more regular new releases to balance it all out. This is just too much and I really don't know where to begin on all this beyond the jungle Floret. 

The description of the alt Sapphire hatchlings are uh.... throwing me off lol. Those are definitely not blue-green in color. (I noticed the same mismatch for the description with the eggs.)

Edited by ValidEmotions

55 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But viewing the eggs - even in lineage view - isn't upping my encyclopedia egg view count :(

They DO create shadows. But I can't make my views go up.

image.png.6cf0f6d4d659583275738efd7d6cd3b1.png

I got the shadows viewing TJs Magenta ones not from the peach. They could have been late though I guess.

Peach, brown and blue have a different sprite and 4 eggs vs 3. I think they will have a separate encyclopedia entry.

Edited by DragonLady86

I'm having single Cave flashbacks.  Thank goodness a lot of these are bred alts!

As it is I find those Cantos, pretty hard to catch. Now I would never want to use EQ on the precious eggs just to get a new variant.

Also the sapphire egg which changes color after abandoning. I'm not sure if I'll be lucky enough to obtain CBs of these with my slow clicking speed.

Collecting all of these new ones is gonna be a tough journey.

xD Dragon Cave is just a few months younger than my oldest nephew. (he was born in Jan of 2006 and just turned 15) To think this site is around the same age as that nephew is amazing. I remember poking around the site in like late 2007 but not joining until 2008 sometime. I am excited to see all the different types of dragons being created and watching people interact with them even though I don't do that myself. May the site have many more years to come.

Already love the hybrid. When I saw the hatchie and read its description it immediately hit me which must be the two breeds you need to cross :lol:

A color only obtainable through abandoning is a slap in the face to lineage builders. I really don't understand why any would think that was a good idea. And I'm not big on lineages myself 

2 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

A color only obtainable through abandoning is a slap in the face to lineage builders. I really don't understand why any would think that was a good idea. And I'm not big on lineages myself 

I see your point, and I hate it too, but there are hundreds of other dragons to build lineages with.

Edited by random_dragon_collector

First impressions:

I certainly wasn't expecting a release of alts, so the surprise was welcome. I do feel like there's just a few too many, and a couple of normal cb releases would have been nice. I like the sapphires especially because

Spoiler

they seem to have a new pose

but I really don't like the mechanic of having to ap to get pink. It means we won't get cb blue sapphires in the ap any more, and is just a very unreliable way to get a colour variant. You have to rely on chance basically. i hope there's another way to get them. 

The new coppers I'm torn on. I always wanted the bright copper variant from the hween event to be available, but the sprite update to the rainbow coppers mean I think they're going to look very similar. The eggs are already super hard to tell apart. 

The new hybrids look interesting! Very regal. Nice purple.

The new electrics I don't really have an opinion on, as have yet to see adult sprite. It looks like stunning might

Spoiler

turn the sparks blue

and if that's ALL it is I'll be disappointed. Hoping for a new body colour, or even pose. I like the mechanic though.

The new gemshard colours are nice. No clue on the mechanic so can't comment on that.

The new cantos....eh. I think having two breeds with lots of alts get even more alts is just too much. I don't think canto's colour variants are even all that exciting, unlike the bold solid colours of gemshards. Having an earthquake variant is also a pain, I would have forgiven it if it were a new breed but cantos just aren't worth this much effort (imo). It doesn't help that they aren't dimorphic. I think this is the part of the update I'm most disappointed with. Cantos were already a bit of a pain, and I don't think they warrant this many colour variations. 

The nilla's have an interesting mechanic. I hope they also get new poses, the colour is nice!

The florets I'm intrigued by. I have suspicions for the 'new' version, and if I'm correct I think I'll like them a lot. But if they are just the same as our current florets, I'll be disappointed. Too many recolours. 

----------------

So right now, I'm pretty entertained and excited for some variants, but definitely think some of the mechanics are a bad choice, and if Tj wanted to do just an variant release, maybe it would have been better to pick more dragons with no variants. Rather than 4 which already had some. 

7 minutes ago, Miraku said:

As it is I find those Cantos, pretty hard to catch. Now I would never want to use EQ on the precious eggs just to get a new variant.

Also the sapphire egg which changes color after abandoning. I'm not sure if I'll be lucky enough to obtain CBs of these with my slow clicking speed.

Collecting all of these new ones is gonna be a tough journey.

I have to agree.

And since my scroll goals require 8 CBs of each variant, I think I am never going to get there. I have not even completed my collection of the original Cantors yet and now to get two more is a bit overwhelming. And the EQ one? Really, with an egg that is already fairly scarce in the biomes? And now we have to risk killing it (and everything else on our scrolls) just to get a new color? Really? I am not pleased.

I love the creativity of our dragon creators, but I think this just goes a bit too far.

2 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Not only lineages. I don't have time or interest in creating lineages with ALL of the breeds anyway. But just getting my set of CBs for these is going to be incredibly difficult. And it does make lineages pretty much impossible.

7 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

I see your point, and I hate it too, but there are hundreds of other dragons to build lineages with.

I always love the "just deal with it" response to a criticism. First, i said i don't build lineages myself, but i can still feel for people that do. Second, if people dont post negatives along with the positive, how do spriters and TJ know what we like and want more of verses the opposite?

Filled up on Jungle Florets because I couldn’t help myself! Happy birthday DC, cheers to more years!

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

I have to agree.

And since my scroll goals require 8 CBs of each variant, I think I am never going to get there. I have not even completed my collection of the original Cantors yet and now to get two more is a bit overwhelming. And the EQ one? Really, with an egg that is already fairly scarce in the biomes? And now we have to risk killing it (and everything else on our scrolls) just to get a new color? Really? I am not pleased.

I love the creativity of our dragon creators, but I think this just goes a bit too far.

True! Also I'm not sure they said anything about giving a higher probability of a "successful" EQ on these eggs. It's gonna be so tricky! Pretty sure, their values are gonna skyrocket to the likes of CB metals soon enough. 😅

7 minutes ago, Murkydepths said:

but I really don't like the mechanic of having to ap to get pink. It means we won't get cb blue sapphires in the ap any more, and is just a very unreliable way to get a colour variant. You have to rely on chance basically. i hope there's another way to get them. 

Players like me who can only spend a couple of hours a day for egg hunting are gonna have a hard time to collect the sapphires from the AP, and CB too. 

But let's not get depressed so soon! Let's stay motivated and hope everyone gets to complete their scroll goals and much more. 😇

Happy Bday Dragon Cave!! :D

I was looking at the new sprites & reading through this thread, & it got me thinking. What if the other new Florets are bred alts like we have with Greens/Vines, Undines, & Blacks? I missed the announcement last night, so I never saw the eggs, but the hatchies look to be the same color, but a different pose. So you have to have to breed them & discover a new one when it hatches like the others. I could be totally wrong, but it's still fun to guess! :D

2 minutes ago, Gremlins_Hotel said:

Filled up on Jungle Florets because I couldn’t help myself! Happy birthday DC, cheers to more years!

LOL same with me. I just love the color! So I also egg locked myself with those 😅

Just now, Miraku said:

LOL same with me. I just love the color! So I also egg locked myself with those 😅

Ah same! Florets are one of my favorite breeds on all of DC, so seeing a new one I just *had* to grab a few while there’s a flood. Otherwise I haven’t been online for hunting much haha

Heh. Multi-clutch abandons are apparently treated the same as scroll-lock autos for the Sapphire variant.

1593269598_ScreenShot2021-05-21at10_16_41AM.png.b7c518e8285c1307168e0b7d3d04b4b7.png

New biomes needed! I dream of new biomes, the old ones are already cramped. There are so many players that I am still collecting releases from last summer, I have not even received all of them yet.

Happily locked with new Floret, Electric, Canto and Sapphire (I couldn't wait for them to reappear in the biomes and decided to splurge on the Market).

I'd gotten a bit bored with the game, having reached all my scroll goals, this is going to keep me busy for a long time!