TJ09

2020-10-25 - Halloween Event Begins!

If so, that pisses me off. Some of us try for hours to get exactly nowhere on these games. If a person is here to even look at it, it should count.

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

So it would seem.

This is the first time the badge has been linked to completion rather than participation.

Wow, this will be the first I've missed, I just don't have the patience right now to figure this one out. 

Edited by Bigbite

1 minute ago, Bigbite said:

Wow, this will be the first I've missed, I just don't have the patients right now to figure this one out. 

I was fortunate to have a lockdown weekend day, meaning nowhere to go for any reason, and lots of help from the awesome players at this site (Thank you, awesome people! :) ). It is doable, but it does take time.

Okay all of you guys did an amazing job on the treats!  I just got The Pale Man from Pan's Labryinth. *chef's kiss*

I'm just hoping the badges are glitched and will show up later - I most likely won't have time to complete the game before it closes. 

Question about the badge: Anyone know for sure if it goes away if you start a second game but don't finish? I finished the game, I have the badge, but I kinda want to go through the game to certain points again to look at stuff I missed, but I'm not sure I have it in me to do all those puzzles again and actually finish again. I don't know *why* the badge would go away after you've completed it once, but my paranoid mind.... 

Well, I'm stuck in the second desipis room. I guess no badge for me this year. 

ETA: @Tetelestai- You have until 11:59 cave time on Halloween to breed. 

Edited by Jazeki

Dumb question, but the last day to breed Halloweens is the 31st, right? @Jazeki thank you!

Also, @Jazeki I could only get through the doors by writing the number of the door when I entered, 1-2 and then 1-4, so my combo would look something like this 2, 2, 3, 1, 2, 2...etc. Each new room I'd start with the door on the far left and work my way across to get the combination. Irksome, but it is doable. Hope that helps!

Edited by Tetelestai

On 10/25/2020 at 10:31 AM, Feathers said:

Ahhh I'm so happy about past treats being released! This is so exciting -- I missed a few candies that very first year they did trick or treat, and I've regretted it since. I remember thinking back then, "Oh, well, I won't be playing this forever," back then, because it'd only been a year.... Now it's been 11...

Anyway, I'm excited to get the old treats! Thanks, TJ and spriters who've made such awesome treats -- looking forward to snagging them all!

Question:  if I have collected all 50 for this year, and some I assume are from past years, if no more are appearing, does that mean that I have collected all of the ones I missed in previous years??

21 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Question about the badge: Anyone know for sure if it goes away if you start a second game but don't finish? I finished the game, I have the badge, but I kinda want to go through the game to certain points again to look at stuff I missed, but I'm not sure I have it in me to do all those puzzles again and actually finish again. I don't know *why* the badge would go away after you've completed it once, but my paranoid mind.... 

You're safe.  I completed the game, then played back through to just past the rune puzzle (did not complete a second time), and the badge is still on my scroll.  So you can restart the game if you want to, and it won't take away your badge.

Is anyone else having a problem collecting the treats? I click on them, but they don't appear in my collection.

RinaChiba - are the treats not appearing at all, or simply delayed - do they appear after a refresh of the treat basket? I've had treats that don't appear immediately, but upon reloading the basket the new treat is there.

1 minute ago, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

RinaChiba - are the treats not appearing at all, or simply delayed - do they appear after a refresh of the treat basket? I've had treats that don't appear immediately, but upon reloading the basket the new treat is there.

It looks like they're appearing in a previous year's bucket.

17 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Question:  if I have collected all 50 for this year, and some I assume are from past years, if no more are appearing, does that mean that I have collected all of the ones I missed in previous years??

Yes, probably.  I can't be absolutely positive, but it is the simplest explanation.

This wiki page tells how many treats there were for each of the nine previous batches.  If you can count 10 sections (9 previous ones and this year's batch), then it is very likely that you have them all.

https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Trick_or_Treat

If you want to be really sure, you can count up all of your old treats.

EDIT: I picked up another treat just now, so I'm pretty sure the treat-dispensing system still works.  Therefore, it is very likely that the reason you stopped seeing treats is because of having them all.

9 minutes ago, RinaChiba said:

Is anyone else having a problem collecting the treats? I click on them, but they don't appear in my collection.

Have you tried reloading the collection page?  Have you tried reloading the page you clicked on the treat from, to see if the treat disappeared from there?

I feel like I picked up a treat recently, but I wasn't really paying attention then.  I'll check DC in about 10 minutes and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, RinaChiba said:

It looks like they're appearing in a previous year's bucket.

Oh, that's fine then.  You've collected all 50-ish of the ones for this year, and now you'll work your way backwards through the years and pick up any that you missed the first time.

It's a very neat new thing that TJ is letting us do.

Edited by Pilauli

2 minutes ago, Pilauli said:

Yes, probably.  I can't be absolutely positive, but it is the simplest explanation.

This wiki page tells how many treats there were for each of the nine previous batches.  If you can count 10 sections (9 previous ones and this year's batch), then it is very likely that you have them all.

https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Trick_or_Treat

If you want to be really sure, you can count up all of your old treats.

Have you tried reloading the collection page?  Have you tried reloading the page you clicked on the treat from, to see if the treat disappeared from there?

I feel like I picked up a treat recently, but I wasn't really paying attention then.  I'll check DC in about 10 minutes and see what happens.

Oh, that's fine then.  You've collected all 50-ish of the ones for this year, and now you'll work your way backwards through the years and pick up any that you missed the first time.

It's a very neat new thing that TJ is letting us do.

Thanks so much for letting me know. ^ ^ Helps a lot.

Thank you TJ, spriters, writers and everyone else involved in making this Halloween Event.  The graphics were wonderful.  The glitches were frustrating.  All in all it was perfect during this Covid-19 pandemic!   I appreciate each and everyone of you.  Thank you!!! :D

I did eventually get my participation badge to prove I had the internal fortitude to keep trying until I was able complete the event.

Edited by Pinch of StarDust
edit: forgot to give credit to all involved

The second cauldron puzzle is pretty bull****. There's not a single hint that color is important so who's going to think about the color of the sun blossom? I was convinced that the parent of the sun was the azure scale cause it's the color of the sky, and the sun is in the sky. The scale has to come 3rd so I kept putting the sun 4th, but that's obviously wrong. Plus, 'loveliest' fits the puffball a lot better than the sun blossom. This could've been solved by making the hint "the orange sun comes directly after its parents", then it would've been completely obvious that the color of the sun blossom mattered. 

Agreed, the second cauldron really is a guess work puzzle. Most of the puzzles I solved in my own way by guess work, but that one definitely could have used a bit of polishing. Interpretation really screws it for most people. Previous lore or names that made the metaphors make better sense would have been better. For a while I interpreted the SUN blossom to be "the sun comes directly after its parents".

Still, this Holiday event games are created by volunteers who have helped develop the the site mainly through spriting. The fact that these people are able to make these interactive RPs is quite a feat. In turn... all of us who play them are really like Beta testers.

Edited by Nyxity

I finally finished the quest! :D Thank you everyone for your help! Thank you for the organisers! Such a lovely story.

I just followed blindly the Rune puzzle using the solution given in wiki by clicking the tiles how many times. I brute forced my way to Avery's doors. I guess I'm bad with puzzles. *shrugs*

Has anyone noticed that when you do the dark maze parts, your custom name goes away and becomes PLAYER?

1 hour ago, JapanRocks said:Plus, 'loveliest' fits the puffball a lot better than the sun blossom.

Can you... please unpack this argument for me a bit? How does... a mushroom fit the description of loveliest better than a flower? I mean I think mushrooms are neat but I am really curious about your reasoning here

6 hours ago, infiniteviking said:

Continuing this: here are the encounters from the Desert and Cave areas (after the City, before all the puzzles)! There were way too many rocks, crystals, and cacti to check each one, so I hope I didn't miss any hidden things.

AND THERE WE HAVE IT: a (hopefully) complete list of all objects you can interact with throughout Valkemarian Tales: The Lost City! Let me know if I've missed anything and I'll edit accordingly. While I know the events of Valkemarian Tales aren't true D*C canon, it's fun to acknowledge the effort that went into adding all these fun details.

After reading everything you mentioned in this post I realized just how many interactions I'd missed! Went back through the first part of the game and talked to more people in the city (but honestly, I actually only re-did those parts to get to the hermit and 'Rufus', that sounded way too funny to miss!!). Thank you for taking the time to write all that out!

This might be a silly question, but does anyone recognize this eyeball treat? I'm not finished with my 2017 treats but it appeared above them and has remained there as I get more 2017s. I was curious if it was 2016 or earlier, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the wiki or in other peoples' treat baskets. 

image.png.54b37671c1239831d941f999909d7c83.png

5 minutes ago, ADN6 said:

This might be a silly question, but does anyone recognize this eyeball treat? I'm not finished with my 2017 treats but it appeared above them and has remained there as I get more 2017s. I was curious if it was 2016 or earlier, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the wiki or in other peoples' treat baskets. 

image.png.54b37671c1239831d941f999909d7c83.png

Went looking on the wiki and that's apparently an original 2010 treat!

7 minutes ago, ADN6 said:

Yep, I have that one in my 2010s!

21 minutes ago, Paintra said:

Went looking on the wiki and that's apparently an original 2010 treat!

Thank you! I must have skipped checking that one. 

Yep, I have that one in my 2010s!

thank you!!

Edited by ADN6