TJ09

2020-10-25 - Halloween Event Begins!

😮 Gold dragon egg? Oh dear! I'm still stuck with rune gate. I just brute forced my way with the doors with Avery. And I doubt these runes can be brute forced.

Finally finished the puzzle ( after looking up cheats). I would have normally loved something like this cause love exploring, but collecting 2 years worth of past treats, this year, and this game was/is a bit overwhelming for me. I was expecting this to be released bit by bit like the original Valkemarian Tales was. Even with cheats, I gotta admit my heart sunk a bit to learn

Spoiler

that you had to do all the puzzles twice

But my hat is off to all you wonderful creators out there. I loved that this year's main character reminded me of the old game Loom with Bobbin Threadbare. Hope everyone has a safe Halloween!

Managed to get all the treats!  Yay!

Trying to decide if I want to play the game again, now that I know what to do.

Still wondering if I was supposed to do something with the goats and the two small green dragons.

Also forgot to mention how much I loved Biscuits!  Can I have a plushie of him?

18 minutes ago, georgexu94 said:

I still do not understand the rune even after reading the wiki entry and pages 6-8. Something about all tiles should be Desipis (orange) in the end.

The runes don't need to all be Desipis, they just need to be all the same color.  Whoever said they all had to be orange just picked one color, but if you can get all the tiles to be some other color instead, that's fine.

I played this earlier and I don't know if there have been changes since then, but I'll tell you what I remember:

- This is the only puzzle in the game where you need to use the mouse (to click on the runes).  And press escape to exit the puzzle without reverting any other progress.

- The goal is to make them all be the same color as each other.

- When you click on a rune, it cycles through to the next color; you can click on one to observe this cycle; if you click on it 4 times, it will cycle back to its original color.

- Accordingly, any action you take is "reversible" by clicking enough more times, so there shouldn't be any no-win condition if the original layout is winnable.

- So, I said that when you click on a rune, it changes color?  Unfortunately for you, all of the other runes in its row and column (two straight lines, intersecting at the rune you clicked on) also change color in the same way.  So you can try to get one rune correct, but need to take the ripple effects into account.

The wiki's solution is a very simple solution that tells you to click a certain number of times in each of certain squares.  Let me see if I can copy their chart...

Spoiler

3 1   3
  3 2  
  2 3  
3   1 3

Okay, it got a bit messed up, but it's still sort of readable if you imagine it as a 4x4 grid.  The original is on the wiki's "currently being released" page: https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Currently_Being_Released

I intellectually understand what needs to be done to solve it, but I have trouble tracking the side-effects; it reminds me of a Rubix Cube that way.

I hope my slightly tangled explanation of the "rules" has helped you!

45 minutes ago, georgexu94 said:

I still do not understand the rune even after reading the wiki entry and pages 6-8. Something about all tiles should be Desipis (orange) in the end.

For the rune tile grid, you don't need them all to be orange specifically; they just all need to be the same rune.

If the method on the wiki didn't help, let me see if I can rephrase the way I solved it.

Spoiler

Rune Tile (Alt) Guide:

When you click on the runes, they cycle through each rune in a certain order. The sequence goes like this:
1. yellow
2. white
3. green
4. orange

Pick one of the runes and call it "1". Number the rest of the runes in the order in which they change.
(It doesn't matter which rune you call "1" as long as the rest are numbered in the correct sequence. I picked yellow as 1, so for me, white is 2. If I picked orange as 1, then yellow would be 2, and so on.)

The puzzle can be completed in two rounds.
With this method, each round has "on" and "off" runes. We are only concerned with the "on" runes.
The end goal is to (eventually) get all of the runes to be the same rune.

For round one, consider runes 1 and 3 as "on," and runes 2 and 4 as "off."

Start at the leftmost rune of the top row.
Consider each rune individually as you move to the right.
If the rune is an "off" rune (2 or 4 this round), leave it alone. Move to the next rune.
If the rune you are looking at is an "on" rune (1 or 3 this round), click it ONCE and move to the next. Do not go back; do not click anything to the left of your current rune. Only move to the right of your current row.
When you are done with that row, move to the leftmost rune of the second row from the top, and repeat, as though reading. Do this for the rest of the rows.
When you reach the last rune of the bottom row, start from the leftmost rune of the top again. As long as you have "on" runes left, repeat this process.

Eventually, all of your runes will be your "off" runes (2 and 4).

Time for round two. This time, consider 2 your sole "on" rune and 4 your sole "off" rune.

There is one important difference between round one and round two.

Like before, start at the leftmost rune of the top row, and consider each rune individually.
If the rune is "off" (4), then as before, leave it alone and move to the next.
Unlike before, if the rune is "on" (2), then this time click that rune TWICE. (It is necessary to make sure the puzzle has only runes 2 and 4. If you only click it once, it will reintroduce the other colors, and we don't want that!)
As before, once you have clicked a specific rune (twice for each "on" rune this time), move on. Do not click anything to the left of your current rune.
As before, when you reach the last rune of the bottom row, start from the leftmost rune of the top row again.

If you repeat these steps, eventually, all of your runes will be "off" (rune 4), and the puzzle will be solved.

Everybody thinks about puzzles in different ways. I don't know if this will make any more sense than before, but I hope it helps!

I love the "Litwick" sprite from the 2019 ToT collection. :D Makes me wish I'd been online last Halloween, but better late than never. 

@Kaini Thanks for your recreation. I saw your post in the database thread :)

Edited by obelisk_light

Okay,

Spoiler

Whoever made the Rose in a glass dome from Beauty and the Beast deserves an epic reward. 

That is awesome and beautiful!

5 hours ago, Niyaka said:

I love the beetle on this year’s banner—totally looks like it’s got a little face on its back :D 

Yes! I totally forgot to mention that I spent at least 2-3 minutes just staring at it because I couldn't tell if the 'face' I was seeing was actually intentional or not. 

I haven't gotten any old treats, I guess I got them all on their respective years? Thought I'd missed a few, guess not. I must say (again) how much I love the cat treats and how awesome I think it is that we always have at least one or two cat treats!

13 minutes ago, Syiren said:

Okay,

Hide contents

Whoever made the Rose in a glass dome from Beauty and the Beast deserves an epic reward. 

That is awesome and beautiful!

Oh, blush....

I was afraid it wasn't "Halloween-y" enough and would get rejected.  It was the very last treat I found

26 minutes ago, obelisk_light said:

I love the "Litwick" sprite from the 2019 ToT collection. :D Makes me wish I'd been online last Halloween, but better late than never. 

I'm glad people are able to get the old ones now! :D

Okay, we all ended up back at the museum after defeating whatshisface. Is that the end? Do I leave? I'm afraid to leave just in case I get dumped all the way to the start again.

22 minutes ago, calenlass said:

Okay, we all ended up back at the museum after defeating whatshisface. Is that the end? Do I leave? I'm afraid to leave just in case I get dumped all the way to the start again.

You can look around the museum, some of the artifacts are pretty cool, but yeah that's the end. When you leave the credits roll.

How many years of treats are there? Mine only go back to 2012. Hopefully we can collect old treats next year, too. I'm currently working on 2014 and there's no way I'll be able to finish before the event is over.

1 hour ago, chariset said:

Oh, blush....

I was afraid it wasn't "Halloween-y" enough and would get rejected.  It was the very last treat I found

I found it to be an awesome easter egg, and some parts of the movie were pretty spooky: The forest her papa got lost in before the wolves attacked, the decorations in the Beast's castle as he was showing Belle around, all excellent spooky atmosphere. 

Well done! :D

I'm so happy we can get old trick or treats, because i got one of the 2014 treats that is a cat holding up a candy corn with hearts.

it...its one of cutest ones i have seen.

So after hours of trying and doing what others say is right for the first cauldron puzzle, I've tried resetting from the pause menu and just nothing happens. Is there a solution?

i apologize in advance if this is considered bad or cheating, but would someone be willing to upload a video of themselves solving the rune puzzle in the temple? i have trouble with written directions. thank you all in advance!

7 hours ago, Denwayasha said:

After doing the potion puzzle the second time, how do I get onto one of the other paths in the final maze?

I had that same query, couldn't find the solution

Edit: nvm, found it! So much fun ^_^

Edited by flower1818

11 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Huh. I definitely didn't see any symbols by the doors. I did notice in some spots (like in the sewer) it was hard to make out details, maybe my monitor's contrast is too low or something. 

In the first run of the puzzle at least, they were only in the first room with 2 doors, so you still have to figure out the ones that correspond to doors 3 and 4. It greatly confused me as well, but they only correspond to numbers, so you technically don't need them by the doors I suppose.

One of the current year's treats had me laughing, so perfect

Spoiler

the Impostor. /image you can HEAR

2 hours ago, Queen Firebreath said:

How many years of treats are there? Mine only go back to 2012. Hopefully we can collect old treats next year, too. I'm currently working on 2014 and there's no way I'll be able to finish before the event is over.

2010 but 2011 was skipped

On 10/25/2020 at 8:37 PM, sh20000sh said:

Seems like game works on firefox, and doesn't work on chrome and edge.

I can't get it to run at all on Firefox, and it freezes horribly on Chrome. :(

I am having a ton of fun collecting all the treats though - I just cross-checked against the wiki and realised that I managed to get them all every year except for 2010, and the completionist in me LOVES that I have a chance to finish the whole set from each year!

8 hours ago, Feral71 said:

You can't have java turned off OR have your adblocker going. Not very nice. 

JavaSCRIPT. NOT Java.