TJ09

2019-12-01 - December Dragon Release

I can't wait to see the adult new dragons. The hatchies are so cute. Thank you for this wonderful surprise and for these beautiful new dragons.

On 12/2/2019 at 12:56 PM, Spiteful_Crow said:

Cuts back on the amount of time/space some of us have for making last-minute preparations for holiday lineages, or just working on some other breeding projects in between the major holidays.

Exactly this. Work has kept me pretty busy as of late. I rarely get to hang out on here much because by the time I'm done with both work and home chores and other responsibilities my energy is running on fumes and my brain starts to shut down. I'm pretty much in bed watching TV 'til I fall asleep.

Yes, that's my own issue, but there are others who also have busy lives and while I am thankful for any release and I know TJ and his team of admins work their butts off to keep this entire ship afloat it's more stressful to worry about a new release right when the holidays swing into high gear.

And yes, I am trying to do just this. Working on Holiday lineages and setting up projects for rarer lines (which my Golds are NOT helping with. *glares at them* ) but That doesn't mean I hate these dragons. I love them. I'm happy to have grabbed 4 of one and 3 of the other (and a random blue zyu. Happy misclick. yay!) but I just think it could have been spaced out better. Even just releasing one dragon now, instead of two, and release the other in January. That would have worked out better. At least made it easier and spaced out the stress load.

Regardless, I do love these dragons. I'll focus on pairing them for lineages after the holiday rush is over after Valentine's Day. 

Edited by Syiren
typos take advantage of sleepy me

Sometimes it seems as if people forget about this being a GAME with PIXEL IMAGES... 

If playing stresses too much or collides with real life, simply take a break from the game to get the really important things done... 

Wow am suprised how many of the new eggs are still showing and how easy they are to get, just got me a second batch. Good for the people that still need them! :)

Just a few hours left till adult time!

Releases are always welcome for me, so this was a nice surprise.

I totally missed this release, silly me. I was very happy when I  managed to get some eggs today. I hope they are easy to find for a few more days, for those of us who need to catch up.

We're getting adults now!

I like the Aranoa very much, it's pretty and colorful but clearly a carnivorous (/piscivorous?) hunter. 👍

Edit: and now we've got both adult Sandwastes as well - both are solid designs, but I like the males coloring better, makes the details more apparent and distinct. Oon the other hand, I guess maybe the females has got more of a camouflage thing going on. Their name Sandwaste dragon sounds a bit strange to me though.

Edited by Ripan

One thing I want to point out:  The hatcheries have been soooo slow lately, and with all the new eggs, if you get a low time egg without a lot of views on it, it will take hours to hatch.  

I do not know if people are aware of this, but you do not have to watch the hatcheries to give views.  All you need to do is have them open in other tabs or other windows on your computer while you are logged on.  So I am asking that people open up the hatcheries so that hopefully they will start to accumulate more views.

Beautiful adults!  Thanks TJ and the artists!

So we have adults now. They're both just kinda okay. I don't like the Aranoa's colors as they clash far too strongly but otherwise the dragon itself is just fine. The Sandwaste adult's snout is very strangely shaped but aside from that the sprite itself is okay.

Not the most exciting release we've had. I'm really neutral towards both of these dragons, no new favorites but I don't really hate them.

Both are absolutely beautiful! Thank you spriters! Another wonderful release!

Somehow the Aranoa looks the most 3-dimensional to me of all sprites we have so far. Fantastic work!

One obvious lineage plan:

Spoiler

image.png.175aed87587c6c7dee579df952dd74cc.png

I also love the Sandwastes. The male has really cool colors. At first I wasn't sure about the female, but then...

Spoiler

image.png.de2b6c9242af801eda95223a99f33c36.png

(And probably lots of other pretty pairings!)

Oh and both breeds' descriptions are great! Thank you, artists!  :wub:

So Aranoas are vaguely based off of arowanas, this arowana in particular

available-super-red-arowana-fishes-979.j
I would imagine them to be approximately 8m long including the tail, which would mean that they are about the size of the largest saltwater crocodile ever found (with longer necks).

This is a more detailed depiction of their head (though the snout is a bit inaccurate)

aranoabust.png

I would assume they love basking in the sun to show off their scales and because who doesn't like basking in the sun?
They'd lay 1-3 eggs in a clutch and guard the eggs until they hatch, at which point the parents would part ways, both with each other and with their children.
The siblings would typically grow up with each other as they'd have to stick together to survive, until they're adolescents and about 4-5 m long, where they'll split off and claim territory but still somewhat sticking together. In my mind I do not view them as sentient (I view most dragon breeds as just regular animals) so I do not think there would be a strong familial bond between parents and children (if there would even exist one at all)
Over here we have a typical image of a mating pair of Aranoas guarding their eggs and basking in the sunlight (excuse the terrible water)

aranoa.png

I really like the colors on the arowana guys but unfortunately they don’t evoke the inspiring animal as much as I was hoping. Arowanas are such gorgeous classic dragon fish and these guys don’t really bring them to mind for me. Maybe if they’d been eastern or leviathans... ah well. Still pretty, just not the arowanagon of my dreams. :P 

antlion friends have cute colors too. I like how both releases this round have big flashy scales.

😮 The amphibious Aranaos look like something from a Guillermo Del Toro movie! Love the look of them so much ❤️

Oh wow, thanks for the additional information @Dohaerys! Now I want to go to where they live and observe them in nature. Except that they look a little scary and might mistake me for a tasty fish, so I'd keep some distance.

11 minutes ago, Dohaerys said:

So Aranoas are vaguely based off of arowanas, this arowana in particular

available-super-red-arowana-fishes-979.j
I would imagine them to be approximately 8m long including the tail, which would mean that they are about the size of the largest saltwater crocodile ever found (with longer necks).

This is a more detailed depiction of their head (though the snout is a bit inaccurate)

aranoabust.png

I would assume they love basking in the sun to show off their scales and because who doesn't like basking in the sun?
They'd lay 1-3 eggs in a clutch and guard the eggs until they hatch, at which point the parents would part ways, both with each other and with their children.
The siblings would typically grow up with each other as they'd have to stick together to survive, until they're adolescents and about 4-5 m long, where they'll split off and claim territory but still somewhat sticking together. In my mind I do not view them as sentient (I view most dragon breeds as just regular animals) so I do not think there would be a strong familial bond between parents and children (if there would even exist one at all)
Over here we have a typical image of a mating pair of Aranoas guarding their eggs and basking in the sunlight (excuse the terrible water)

aranoa.png

All of this information, and especially the painting, are so cool! And "excuse the terrible water", I actually think the water looks great for what the painting is... the water doesn't have to be perfectly realistic because it still sets the scene and atmosphere, creating a conceptual image for what the dragons' lives are like. It still evokes what it's supposed to and I love it!

As for the new dragons themselves, these are the first releases in a while where I can clearly tell where the head and face are immediately at first glance, and that already makes me a fan. I've been finding that a lot of the releases over the past year or so have included wild, high-contrast colors and difficult to discern necks and heads that look like limbs or tails and make it hard it for me to tell what's going on. I wear glasses so my eyes aren't the best and that's probably why I've been having trouble (and really, why shouldn't a dragon's head be a little camouflaged? Sounds like good protection from predators...) but clearer, simpler-to-see details on dragons are my jam right now, so I like these new ones! I also enjoyed reading the descriptions and learning about their personalities and habits. Thank you to all the spriters for the cool release!

Good sprites but not a great time of the release.. should have happen 1-2 weeks earlier than it did..