TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

the majority of discussion for 'days and days' is figuring out how to get the different colors

and so what if we want to talk about frustrating or annoying aspects of a game we really enjoy? It helps to vent to each other about it, and there are no rules saying we can't talk about things that annoy us in game. Yes, no one is forcing us to play, but we also love the game and want to see it and its playerbase do well, and if one specific mechanic bothers the long-time veterans, then surely their feedback is just as valuable as 'wow thanks for the release, amazing as always spriters / TJ! '

Not everyone is going to like a mechanic and that should be expected and accepted, honestly.  Varying opinions always happen, even if they sound harsh at times. shrugs

Edited by Whirlaway

Thank you to those who pointed out that some people work 24-hour shifts. This made me realize that (theoretically) having a two-day window for each color is actually a very good thing. 

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

the majority of discussion for 'days and days' is figuring out how to get the different colors

and so what if we want to talk about frustrating or annoying aspects of a game we really enjoy? It helps to vent to each other about it, and there are no rules saying we can't talk about things that annoy us in game. Yes, no one is forcing us to play, but we also love the game and want to see it and its playerbase do well, and if one specific mechanic bothers the long-time veterans, then surely their feedback is just as valuable as 'wow thanks for the release, amazing as always spriters / TJ! '

Yes, this. I never understand why, in these release threads, it seems like any sort of frustration or less-then-excited opinions are seen as complaining or try to get shut down. People who are frustrated at something have *just* as much right to express that as people who are excited and happy with something. Our opinion doesn't stop counting just because we aren't all rainbows and sunshine over something. And, really, no one is forcing anyone to *read* this thread if a little bit of negativity bothers them so much. If a user simply wants to be excited about a new release without hearing any negativity at all, they can go elsewhere. We don't have to shut up just because other people don't feel the same way we do. 

Anyways, my eggs are down to 3 days 3 hours unincubated.... I might have to wait another 27-ish hours to get a purple. Siiiigh.

But as I understand it, we don't know yet, if it is a two day window or if we have to let it get down to 1 day.  That could be a problem if someone cannot be on to make sure to unfog and hatch the egg in time.

I'm probably a million percent off with this, but instead of us having to go down to almost losing our dragons on the last day, what if the twist is we have to have adults on our scrolls before we get purples?

Now that'll soon bring the purples out - there's no way I'm right!

Edited by quinney

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

This. Also, I'm pretty sure this board isn't locked so that we can discuss the release. Otherwise, it would just be an announcement, thread locked. As much as we're venting, we're also speculating and thinking about how long the purples are going to take, and what the outcome will be for those of us wanting to collect multiple purples or create lineages with them. There's also some jokes sprinkled into the mix here and there. We're discussing for days and days because the process of figuring out how these work is taking days and days. :lol: It's all good, though. Pretty sure no one's upset.

1 minute ago, LibbyLishly said:

Thank you to those who pointed out that some people work 24-hour shifts. This made me realize that (theoretically) having a two-day window for each color is actually a very good thing. 

I didn't think of that! Perhaps so. :o

On 8/1/2018 at 10:07 AM, Fiona said:

To answer a few of the questions about Mimics: Yes they were originally concepted as a Halloween breed, but without real expectation that they'd be chosen for Halloween, as I think pygmies have to be very compelling to overcome the disadvantage of being a limited breeding group. I was mainly having fun. I am very pleased though that TJ liked them well enough as a regular release to use them as originally concepted.

They are based on several inspirations. One is vampire bats, both for their feeding methods and general anatomy. They are also based somewhat on myna birds or other birds that mimic sounds. A large part however of their inspiration comes from two separate fiction sources: one is from Lord of the Rings, where Golum is leading Frodo and Samwise through the Dead Marshes and he tells Frodo, sternly, "Don't follow the lights." That whole mechanic that the light has a hypnotic effect to draw you into danger was a main source of inspiration. The other fictional source is the jabberjays from Hunger Games, which mimic the voices of people's loved ones to taunt. In this case, rather than just voices they know, I thought it would be spookier to have the voices of the dead, and hey look, we have death mana to provide lore to support that.

I really love the Mimics. It's great that they have some bat inspiration. The male is amazing, and the female too, but I love the male a lot. Thank you!

They also look somewhat gargoyle-like to me.  :)

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

Yes, this. I never understand why, in these release threads, it seems like any sort of frustration or less-then-excited opinions are seen as complaining or try to get shut down. People who are frustrated at something have *just* as much right to express that as people who are excited and happy with something. Our opinion doesn't stop counting just because we aren't all rainbows and sunshine over something. And, really, no one is forcing anyone to *read* this thread if a little bit of negativity bothers them so much. If a user simply wants to be excited about a new release without hearing any negativity at all, they can go elsewhere. We don't have to shut up just because other people don't feel the same way we do. 

Anyways, my eggs are down to 3 days 3 hours unincubated.... I might have to wait another 27-ish hours to get a purple. Siiiigh.

it's a common trend in new releases and one reason i get so annoyed by it now, because i've seen it release after release, year after year. You're not allowed to say one word against a dragon's sprite, not allowed to critique it, because then you're 'whining' and 'complaining' and 'being a downer' and need to stop it right now  and 'calm down' =.=

Just now, Sirithiliel said:

Yup yup! :D People are allowed to talk about mechanics and what they like or dislike about them. They are allowed to discuss why it could be a really big pain to them, personally, or how they can see it being a really big pain to others. "If you don't like it, don't play" is a very dismissive attitude to take. People like the game, therefore they have every reason and right to voice their opinions about the game play. If everyone who did not like something did not participate in it, there would be no constructive feedback, and games would die off.

I also think a lot of people may be getting tired of all of the seemingly gimmicky mechanics lately. There seems to have been a huge upswing in the number of mechanic/random-based sprites lately (lunar heralds, zyus, dark luminas, these, spinels, etc.). Whether that is more spriters making them or just that TJ is choosing to release a lot of them, I do not know, but I can certainly see that making it all the more frustrating for people with certain scroll number goals and/or lineage builders!

I didn't say, you can't. I just wanted to remember, to not to take it to seriously. 

I don't mind criticism. 

Gosh. Why are you so hyped by that? Sorry, but I didn't thought anyone would be that upset about my comment. I didn't told, you to shut up or anything.

Talking about beeing easily offended. 

At the same time, we also have plenty of new breeds without any special effects. Should be stuff in this for everyone, really.

13 minutes ago, Drag said:

Sorry, when I offended you

If you think something you say is likely to offend someone, then DON'T say it. Basic forum etiquette.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

At the same time, we also have plenty of new breeds without any special effects. Should be stuff in this for everyone, really.

I more meant that it seems as though recently a lot of the releases have had mechanics/randomness. So people may be getting a bit worn out on it for the time being and need a break. :)

2 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

If you think something you say is likely to offend someone, then DON'T say it. Basic forum etiquette

I didn't. That's why I said it. 

4 minutes ago, Drag said:

I didn't say, you can't. I just wanted to remember, to not to take it to seriously. 

I don't mind criticism. 

Gosh. Why are you so hyped by that? Sorry, but I didn't thought anyone would be that upset about my comment. I didn't told, you to shut up or anything.

Talking about beeing easily offended. 

but plenty people have earlier in this thread =P using the same reasons you did, so i apologize for jumping the gun

but we've already been told to 'stop posting' and 'take it to PM' and just ' go away' plenty of times already for daring to say anything other than 'GREAT JOB SPRITERS"

we've basically been told to 'shut up' several times in several different ways, you were just 1 more voice saying it in a different way as well xP

Edited by Sirithiliel

4 minutes ago, Ribombee said:

I also think a lot of people may be getting tired of all of the seemingly gimmicky mechanics lately. There seems to have been a huge upswing in the number of mechanic/random-based sprites lately (lunar heralds, zyus, dark luminas, these, spinels, etc.). Whether that is more spriters making them or just that TJ is choosing to release a lot of them, I do not know, but I can certainly see that making it all the more frustrating for people with certain scroll number goals and/or lineage builders!

Yeah, this is very true. While it might be 'boring' or something if every single new dragon was really easy to get, having more and more dragons with weird/different/frustrating mechanics just makes it harder and harder for people to do things like meet scroll goals and work on lineages with those breeds. I remember when the only real 'different mechanic' was Seasonals! Now we have Lunars who only change color every few weeks and you have to wait like a whole month to get that color again, Dark Luminas who apparently have a better success rate during certain times but *not* 100%, Spinels that are almost impossible to make certain lineages with because of the way they breed..... It can get frustrating after awhile.

2 minutes ago, Ribombee said:

I more meant that it seems as though recently a lot of the releases have had mechanics/randomness. So people may be getting a bit worn out on it for the time being and need a break. :)

This started in 2008, actually, when the alt Dark Greens were introduced. 10 years of randomness and mechanics! Celebrate! :D

on a more normal note, 3 of my hatchies have grown wings! hurrah!

the youngest still has 5 days 12 hours though. I guess i should have kept one of my original greens so that it grew up faster so i could see if there is anything special with the adult

Edited by Sirithiliel

If I recall correctly, one could tell if they had a dark alt green when they bred it though, right?

Not sure - I know the black eggs you could tell...

2 minutes ago, 49ER said:

If I recall correctly, one could tell if they had a dark alt green when they bred it though, right?

You could tell, and most time dragons multi clutched...same with black alts...eggs were just a tad darker...eta-when they multi clutched it was easier to tell if you had an atl, I recall many times sitting there staring at them to try to figure out if one was just a bit darker than the others-lol

Edited by pixiezbite

Well, if the purples just require waiting til they are down to 2 days or even 1, then that will help get it sorted out for scroll goals.  If someone does not have the room/time/patience to get them, there are plenty of players who will go for those and happily trade for things they cannot catch so easily in cave, so they can be traded for.

Edited by 49ER

5 minutes ago, pixiezbite said:

You could tell, and most time dragons multi clutched...same with black alts...eggs were just a tad darker...eta-when they multi clutched it was easier to tell if you had an atl, I recall many times sitting there staring at them to try to figure out if one was just a bit darker than the others-lol

Oh my god, I completely forgot about those!!! *-* 

Having nostalgic monents right now xD

Can we have something like that back again?! An annoyingly close colourscheme for a dragon egg and its Alt? :3

7 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

This started in 2008, actually, when the alt Dark Greens were introduced. 10 years of randomness and mechanics! Celebrate! :D

Oh no, I know it STARTED then. I just mean it seems recently there have been an unusual number of mechanics/randoms in new releases. The ratio of normal versus mechanics/randoms seems have to have changed. It is probably more that TJ is releasing more of them rather than spriters making more of them, but either way, a return to the normal ratio for a bit might help people who are still struggling to catch up with all the other random/mechanic releases that have been occurring as of late. Just a thought, a supposition, since it does not actually affect me. I have enough CBs of everything other than this current release, and I generally just avoid making lineages with anything with mechanics. 

I have been keeping an eye on the Biomes with the Bedotteds for the past half an hour - seems they have kinda sorta dried up - at least for me. I AM locked at the mo' but just wanted to see how many were still dropping. Anyone else notice this? The ones I DID manage to snag today will be fogged for, like, forever til they can hatch PURPLE!! I do wish Corteo would weigh in at the end just before the thread gets closed with the real info on these and take pity on those of us who aren't into this kind of puzzle-solving.

OK, this last 5 min, I saw one in the Coast..

Edited by Oddsoxdi
saw one in the Coast