Paradisiske

ANSWERED:bring back cb prizes

I think there's a line in the store description that's entirely wrong.

Places a price tag on dragons that may make it difficult for different players to afford the dragons due to differing play styles

Because the store concept was made to work with pretty much every kind of play style that actually invovles playing DC.

A reminder of ALL THE CURRENTLY THEORIZED OPTIONS for CB Prizes:

Now updated with more info about the store.

Any comments on this?

(Tries to redirect thread, back to topic.)

i still like completing an event for the prize dragon the best

second best to me were if tj released them incave and they flooded for like three days

I think there's a line in the store description that's entirely wrong.

Because the store concept was made to work with pretty much every kind of play style that actually invovles playing DC.

I have a response to that, since PokemonFan13 had a similar complaint:

{snip}

@Pokemonfan: As for the price thing, I just feel like by virtue of there being a price tag, some people will be able to afford Prize Dragons, and some people won't, at least not easily. I feel like with the history that Prize Dragons have, they would be rather expensive. I mean you are suppose the win them somehow, right, even if in this case, winning them is more saving up enough money for them through breeding/catching/raising and or daily gains.

- I don't follow the store thread, so I can't really say how it is arranged, and I trust that you guys will make it as fair as possible, but a cost is still a cost in the end. And people play with different priorities in mind. Some people are going to buy prizes easily because their game-play priorities align with it, and some people won't for their priorities don't align with it. That's why I put it there.

- It hardly matters though because we don't even know if we will get a store, and much less with the same design that everyone put so much work into in the thread.

- I think I will change it to reference "difficulty" instead of "limitation" though. That might be more accurate.

{snip}

...Though, when I had originally made the post, I had said it would limit people from getting prizes. I changed to say more difficult, rather than limiting, because from what I have been told the thread has currently been designed so that every one can get prizes if they put in the effort for it.

Yes, they can. It might be a bit more of a challenge for a new player, at least for the first couple of weeks. But for a regular gold-trophy user, it should be quite simple.

Assume that a gold trophy player raises CB eggs (not from the AP) by...

catching them (1 point for each egg)

Incubating them (1 point each)

hatching them (1 point each)

and raising the hatchling to adulthood (1 point each).

Such a player can perpetually do that with 28 eggs in 8 days.

28*4 points =112 points. That's already more than the normal cap.

Or, if someone doesn't like to hoard dragons, they can still breed (using fertility, that makes for 2 points for each pair bred), catch, incubate and hatch eggs and then abandon the resulting hatchling. Or they can use BSAs excessively (Fertility, Influence, Incubate...)

I'm understanding how releasing Prizes into the cave might not make anything better, so I don't really support that.

I still *vastly* prefer the store option because it is as close to perfect as I think it's going to get. ANY playstyle can easily get the max points *without* grinding, while grinding gets players nothing extra. No one will be able to "do more" to get a Prize faster then anyone else; The prices are time-based. I don't see it leading to more multi-scrolling because of the fact that it's time-based.

I do NOT like the idea of having to *complete* a holiday game in order to get a CB Prize. I'm sorry, but some of us simply *can't* complete certain types of games. The only reason I was able to do *any* of the Contagion Minesweeper game was because of literally screenshoting and asking people on the forums. Same as with the RPG games we've had the last two years. I don't think the *only* way to get CB Prizes should be dependent on having to ask for specific help for a game that you don't understand.

I'm understanding how releasing Prizes into the cave might not make anything better, so I don't really support that.

I still *vastly* prefer the store option because it is as close to perfect as I think it's going to get. ANY playstyle can easily get the max points *without* grinding, while grinding gets players nothing extra. No one will be able to "do more" to get a Prize faster then anyone else; The prices are time-based. I don't see it leading to more multi-scrolling because of the fact that it's time-based.

I do NOT like the idea of having to *complete* a holiday game in order to get a CB Prize. I'm sorry, but some of us simply *can't* complete certain types of games. The only reason I was able to do *any* of the Contagion Minesweeper game was because of literally screenshoting and asking people on the forums. Same as with the RPG games we've had the last two years. I don't think the *only* way to get CB Prizes should be dependent on having to ask for specific help for a game that you don't understand.

That would be helped if it was one prize per year, and any of the three holiday events in that year could earn it. So first try would be Valentines. If that event is impossible you wait for Halloween. And if that one is troublesome, wait for Xmas. And if that one is a problem, ask for help. xP But I think if the three events are specifically chosen to be very different (especially if one of the three is always a text adventure, I don't think anything can be impossible about a text adventure) it can basically be guaranteed that at least one of them will be playable for any given person.

I do understand your concerns. In the case of this winter event, my friend only had access through her phone. The game would inevitably freeze at certain specific points, like her being given an item in a story quest. She would have been up a creek without a paddle if completing the event was also the way to earn a prize dragon. There's a chance enough noise would have been made on the forum from players upset about glitches preventing them from getting a prize dragon, combined with making sure people are able to complete the event being rather important, that all of those kinds of glitches would have been fixed. But that doesn't help other events where the problem isn't technical, like not understanding minesweeper.

But I think that is decently solved by making it any of the three holiday events.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Prizes were meant to be earned and won, not simply bought out of a store. They have Prize in their name.

Earned? Do you mind clarifying how they were "earned"? Won, thanks to luck, yes. Earned, not at all.

My point is that they should become available to everybody, dropping as commons, or at least as un-commons, so everybody can have a chance at getting them. Make them "cave blockers", that would take care of the crazy market and would stop lucky people to take advantage of that luck for several years.

Call them Tinsels and Shimmerscales, get rid of the Prize part.

ETA: maybe everybody should stop assuming that the store will happen. We need a solution independent of the store. Frankly, after the 10th birthday debacle, I doubt it will ever be implemented. It is quite more complex than a bare drop in the cave.

Edited by SullenCat

Earned? Do you mind clarifying how they were "earned"? Won, thanks to luck, yes. Earned, not at all.

My point is that they should become available to everybody, dropping as commons, or at least as un-commons, so everybody can have a chance at getting them. Make them "cave blockers", that would take care of the crazy market and would stop lucky people to take advantage of that luck for several years.

ETA: maybe everybody should stop assuming that the store will happen. We need a solution independent of the store. Frankly, after the 10th birthday debacle, I doubt it will ever be implemented. It is quite more complex than a bare drop in the cave.

Luck, yes. But they were still special and should remain so.

I'd rather neither the store nor them becoming common blockers happen.

The "store", from what i've seen, would make them less valuable than golds. That would just make them "another common that looks nice in lineage but has zero value outside CBs"

Making them common cave blockers does the same thing, but even faster, and basically turns them into something with even less value as CB than the store would. I'd rather have the store if it came to that.

Why would prize dragons suddenly just become commons like everything else? I'd like them to keep at least some value and not become the new "2G Metallic"

Yes, some people will have a harder time getting them if they're released in an event/store, but you could argue the same for CB golds. Getting a CB gold is nearly impossible, yet somehow I don't see threads dedicated to making golds cave blockers so "everyone can get them".

And, why, exactly, should they remain special?

ETA: they breed as commons or uncommons, that's all they should be.

Edited by SullenCat

And, why, exactly, should they remain special?

ETA: they breed as commons or uncommons, that's all they should be.

Because that's what they were intended for?

They were meant to be special. Releasing them as commons in the cave would be the same as making golds the same rarity as flamingos. So what, not everyone can get a CB gold. That doesn't mean you NEED to make it so everyone can get one.

I feel like I come in at a middle ground to this argument.

The bred Prizes may breed like uncommons, but from what I've heard, it's very difficult to coax 2G eggs from the CB Prizes.

The CB eggs were meant to be 'special', and should retain some of their rarity. At the very least, they're metallics, and if they were released in-cave, shouldn't be any less rare than Silvers or Coppers.

Of course, releasing them in the cave - even as uncommons - would make it so that people like me who rarely browse the cave and don't use bots have no hope of even seeing one.

This is why I want it to not be released in the cave. I'd rather things stay as they are than have them released in the cave.

An option such as the store makes it so that every player is capable of getting a CB Prize, through hard work and dedication. Note that this does NOT mean that everyone will just be grabbing free CB Prize eggs off the cave floor as they would if they were commons, but it also does NOT mean that they're impossible to get without refreshing a page every 5 minutes in the vain hope that one shows up, and then hoping you're lucky enough to be the first to click it.

Tl;dr: CB Prizes should be attainable for everyone, but not easy to get.

(Also, the reason people don't ask for Golds to be made easier to get is that the people who catch them easily often trade them away for things like CB Halloweens; that's how I have my pair of Silvers and my few CB Coppers and Blusangs. They get traded around enough that it's conceivable for anyone to work up the eggs to trade.)

they are called prizes because they were won in the raffle. I feel that the way they were passed out fair enough. It would cheapen them if it was otherwise just passed out to the masses. They are something special to the winners.

edit: some reason I got it into my head this was a new thread.

Edited by Starscream

I feel like I come in at a middle ground to this argument.

The bred Prizes may breed like uncommons, but from what I've heard, it's very difficult to coax 2G eggs from the CB Prizes.

The CB eggs were meant to be 'special', and should retain some of their rarity. At the very least, they're metallics, and if they were released in-cave, shouldn't be any less rare than Silvers or Coppers.

Of course, releasing them in the cave - even as uncommons - would make it so that people like me who rarely browse the cave and don't use bots have no hope of even seeing one.

This is why I want it to not be released in the cave. I'd rather things stay as they are than have them released in the cave.

An option such as the store makes it so that every player is capable of getting a CB Prize, through hard work and dedication. Note that this does NOT mean that everyone will just be grabbing free CB Prize eggs off the cave floor as they would if they were commons, but it also does NOT mean that they're impossible to get without refreshing a page every 5 minutes in the vain hope that one shows up, and then hoping you're lucky enough to be the first to click it.

Tl;dr: CB Prizes should be attainable for everyone, but not easy to get.

(Also, the reason people don't ask for Golds to be made easier to get is that the people who catch them easily often trade them away for things like CB Halloweens; that's how I have my pair of Silvers and my few CB Coppers and Blusangs. They get traded around enough that it's conceivable for anyone to work up the eggs to trade.)

I agree with Zeditha.

In your opinion. Do you have one, perhaps ?

Their "specialness" is what has got us into this mess in the first place. AS for cheapening them - is this game REALLY supposed to turn into a rich vs poor stockmarket ? I would hope not. Rare - fine, yes, like golds. As exclusive as they are - no. In cave drops - I think that would be a disaster. Store - that is the only way to make them available and hard to get - achieved by working for them, not by an RNG.

Breed as commons - I wish. I get mostly kin from my 2g.

I would love any solution--barring perhaps dropping in the cave. The more I think about that one the less I like it.

Sadly, everything else I can think of isn't really going to work for one reason or another. Perhaps the best solution is to do the event, or events, that accompany each holiday; though to keep them as rare as Robot Chimera wants them to be, I can only imagine the events will get suddenly much more difficult. Even less reason to hope for that option...

I do agree that we need to stop calling them Prizes. There haven't been any more released for a few years now anyway, so I don't think they should even be given that title any longer.

'Prize' is a word that implies something worked for and then won.

A raffle might get you something you want, but it's a give-away, not a prize.

If we want to retain an element of chance (which it seems some people do), how about the holiday event suggestion - the original raffles were tied to the Christmas event, I hear - but each time you complete your one event a year, you get a random chance for one CB Tinsel or Shimmer that's not already on your scroll?

So, equal chances between Tinsel and Shimmer, and perhaps 1/4 Gold, 1/3 Silver and 5/12 (remaining chance) Bronze?

Or if you want it to work a slightly different way, the chances could be altered such that you can get one of the Tinsels or Shimmers, or a 'runner-up' sort of prize, like a CB Gold or Silver, or past Holiday of whichever event you completed.

All numbers are basically pulled from the air; I was just thinking that gold Tinsels and Shimmers should be rarer than Silver, which is rarer than Bronze, as they already are (and as the 'normal' metallics are).

Of course, it would be a fairly small chance to have a non-Tinsel or Shimmer dragon, say 1/100 if you don't have any CB Tinsels or Shimmers. That chance would increase as you gained a full set, perhaps being 50/50 with your last Tinsel or Shimmer.

The thought here is to give those who have already collected one of every CB Tinsel or Shimmer something else to gain from the events.

Then again, limiting to one CB of each colour and type per scroll seems vaguely unfair; it would be impossible to have one of each gender, as many people like to do. It would also encourage multiscrolling.

I think that perhaps if a limit of 2 CBs per type and colour is reasonable, as that allows for PB lineages to be built. However, one a year should definitely be in place.

My personal preference would still be for a selection process, where you simply select which dragon you want and you get that egg. But throwing some chance into the mix seems like what several people want.

Please no more random methods. They'll start up the "this method is the WRONG RNG, and if you had used this other one I would have one, and anyway you only give them to your friends" - and so on. What you suggest sounds just like the raffles were - and that was the issue - you got chances based on completing tasks. If it is to be based on tasks, completing the task should get you the dragon.

Which is one of the reasons I favour the store - as that would mean almost everyone could get one !

Edited by fuzzbucket

I wouldn't mind this as long as we got the same chance with every holiday event (since some are harder to complete than others even with help).

Edit to clarify that I was referring to Zeditha's suggestion here. I've commented a few other times in the thread already.

Edited by Jazeki

My two cents on this thing?

I PERSONALLY would love the chance to own a CB prize.AND not just because of the 'value'. The idea of being able to get a custom code appeals there.

I would add that As far as saying the raffles NEVER should have started in the first place.... maybe true. HOWEVER I would say that in this case the analogy someone else made to Pandora's box applies here. I am not sure that TJ realized when he first instituted the raffles the ugliness they would create ( AND m,make no mistake, they HAVE).... both on the part of some of the winners and on the part of some of those that did NOT win. Could have possibly have foreseen all the viewbombing, 'price gouging', complaining, harassment of winners, and just GENERAL nastiness that came about? I doubt it. I think he just wanted to give people something fun. That said... when all of those things began to happen I find it hard to entirely blame TJ for saying enough was enough. That said, i am not sure NOW that taking away any NEW prizes will fix the problem... and it WON'T fix the bad feelings about the whole thing.

I'd love a prize, and most of ALL I'd love to see another way to get/earn one.

In the end... there really OUGHT to be a better way?

Edited by Silverswift

That said... when all of those things began to happen I find it hard to entirely blame TJ for saying enough was enough. That said, i am not sure NOW that taking away any NEW prizes will fix the problem... and it WON'T fix the bad feelings about the whole thing.

I'd love a prize, and most of ALL I'd love to see another way to get/earn one.

In the end... there really OUGHT to be a better way?

I don't blame TJ AT ALL. I am 100% with him, assuming he has ended the raffles, and if that meant we would never see another CB tin or shimmer - that would be fine by me.

But as you say - there must be a better way.

And I have said my piece about what the BEST way is enough times already...

'Prize' is a word that implies something worked for and then won.

A raffle might get you something you want, but it's a give-away, not a prize.

If we want to retain an element of chance (which it seems some people do), how about the holiday event suggestion - the original raffles were tied to the Christmas event, I hear - but each time you complete your one event a year, you get a random chance for one CB Tinsel or Shimmer that's not already on your scroll?

So, equal chances between Tinsel and Shimmer, and perhaps 1/4 Gold, 1/3 Silver and 5/12 (remaining chance) Bronze?

Or if you want it to work a slightly different way, the chances could be altered such that you can get one of the Tinsels or Shimmers, or a 'runner-up' sort of prize, like a CB Gold or Silver, or past Holiday of whichever event you completed.

All numbers are basically pulled from the air; I was just thinking that gold Tinsels and Shimmers should be rarer than Silver, which is rarer than Bronze, as they already are (and as the 'normal' metallics are).

Of course, it would be a fairly small chance to have a non-Tinsel or Shimmer dragon, say 1/100 if you don't have any CB Tinsels or Shimmers. That chance would increase as you gained a full set, perhaps being 50/50 with your last Tinsel or Shimmer.

The thought here is to give those who have already collected one of every CB Tinsel or Shimmer something else to gain from the events.

Then again, limiting to one CB of each colour and type per scroll seems vaguely unfair; it would be impossible to have one of each gender, as many people like to do. It would also encourage multiscrolling.

I think that perhaps if a limit of 2 CBs per type and colour is reasonable, as that allows for PB lineages to be built. However, one a year should definitely be in place.

My personal preference would still be for a selection process, where you simply select which dragon you want and you get that egg. But throwing some chance into the mix seems like what several people want.

I really like this! However, if you have 0 CB prizes I think the odds should be 100% of getting your first one, and slowly decrease as you get more. That way less drama and frustration from the few unlucky people who didn't get one that year.

I agree with Zeditha.

In your opinion. Do you have one, perhaps ?

Their "specialness" is what has got us into this mess in the first place. AS for cheapening them - is this game REALLY supposed to turn into a rich vs poor stockmarket ? I would hope not. Rare - fine, yes, like golds. As exclusive as they are - no. In cave drops - I think that would be a disaster. Store - that is the only way to make them available and hard to get - achieved by working for them, not by an RNG.

Breed as commons - I wish. I get mostly kin from my 2g.

The store would make this even MORE of a "rich vs poor" stockmarket as it applies values to dragons. In fact it would make 2G prizes completely worthless.

If you want an example, try finding a CB gold. You won't. The only way to get CB golds is to offer 2G prizes - removing the value from 2G prizes will just mean CB golds are only for people who break the TOS or hunt 24/7 at 3AM.

Remember that your opinion of the store is your opinion. Others have stated they do not believe the store is the best option. That is their opinion. The store is not the best option for everyone.

And no, I do not have a CB prize myself - which is why I would like one to be released in a holiday event and not turned into another common through the store or a cave drop.

Edited by Robot Chimera

No, the store wouldn't make anything more "rich versus poor" because, if you really try, you will be able to afford anything at all - at least eventually. What currently makes this game "rich versus poor" is the difference in catching ability and, most of all, CB prizes.

Before Tinsels got introduced, there was much more of a giving spirit around. People who had their fill of CB metals didn't have any need for them and traded them away cheaply or even gifted them. Now, they can just "buy" another 2nd gen Tinsel/Shimmerscale for their excess golds.

And, since the store comes up in a lot of discussions, I'd really like to see a statement by TJ whether he even considers adding the store at all and how long he thinks implementation will take (if he wants to implement it, that is), not to mention which features of the store suggestion he agrees with and which ones he doesn't agree with. If the store is out of the question, we can always fight for our 2nd best option. wink.gif

Edited by olympe

2g prizes ARE worthless in real terms. They only have the "value" they have because they were given out in such a catastrophic way and some people have worshipped them into the MUST HAVES.

olympe is absolutely right. Before the first raffle, this was a much more giving place. I'd LOVE to see it get back to that. I breed my 2 gen (and my metals) for free - but others do use them to gouge people.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I can't sit on the sidelines anymore. I'm with Robot Chimera. As unpopular of an opinion as it is, I don't think "The Store" is as a definitive cure-all as everyone thinks. It is one option, but it too is flawed, namely putting prices on things that did not have prices to begin with and destroying some semblance of a trade market. In fact, why trade for anything at all when I can just buy exactly what I want?

Let me put something into perspective as to why I prefer a "random" method. When I started out many, many years ago, things weren't as peaceful as everyone makes it out to be. If you were fast, lucky, knew how to create Neglecteds, and had finished your own scroll goals, you could be just like everyone else and you too can get and trade for rares such as CB Metallics, 2nd Gen Hollies, and the occasional alt or uncommon breed. However, if you weren't so lucky, or very fast (for technological or health reasons), didn't have the patience to figure out Neglecteds and you were a newbie with nothing of any real value, the only things you could hope for was to hatch an alt Vine or curled/sitting alt Black, or to get lucky and snatch either a Holiday or Trio egg (and even that was only enough to buy a single messy Silver) . Of course, there were extremely generous gifting groups and individuals that helped bridge the gap, but if like me you were in the latter group and you wanted to complete your Scroll by yourself either through catching or trading, you soon realized Metallics and Neglecteds didn't even seem possible and just gave up on getting a CB altogether, settling for a decently lineaged 3G from the AP to fill in for your sprite collection.

And then the Raffle happened. Suddenly, something no one had was the next big thing everyone HAD to have, and became the new CB Gold/Ungendered Neglected virtually overnight. But in the first year (in my opinion anyway) unless you were basically done with your Scroll, a CB didn't seem like something you necessarily HAD to have, you would settle for a nice low gen to say you have the sprite set.

The real reason I think that has made the Raffle such a big deal is this: the Raffle can be won by anyone regardless of how long you've been there or what's on your scroll, and if you were lucky enough to win, that was literally a one-way ticket to ever hope to get something that was shiny and good enough (either with a Holly, Hybrid, Retired OR Prize) to turn an all-CB scroll from a dream to reality. Suddenly, a newbie with an unreliable internet connection and eye problems has won the Impossible Lottery and just had all the power in the world dropped into their lap. The more people that realized this, the more that played, and the more people that complained if things didn't turn in their favor. And once the Raffle was removed, the more those with 10+ Metallics and Neglecteds became angry about not getting a CB to finish their collections and the more casual users that lost hope, leaving the forums with the thought of "if I have a snowball's chance in the Volcano to get even a 2G Prize to trade for a Metal or Neglected, what's the point in trading?"

Would a store help the problem? Maybe for a little while. But I firmly believe that a more random option is the more preferable way to go.

In fact, a few monthly raffles centered on collecting and trading certain common breeds (the kill and release actions and Undead breed are there for a reason after all) for each Prize or rare breed would be in my opinion, the best thing to do, but then again I'm not the one making the decisions. But please don't say that a "random" option is the most awful, terrible thing to do and shouldn't even be considered as a viable option. There are just some things that are meant to be exclusive and chased after, and I believe Prizes are one of them.

Edit for grammar mistakes~

Edited by LadyLuck777

Yeah, raffles are the cure-all. Because everyone loves them to shreds. Which is clearly evidenced by the overly happy and cheerful atmosphere in the forums starting with the announcement of each raffle and ending way after the prizes were given out. :/

The problem with any random method is that it creates a lottery winner who suddenly gets an amazing treasure dropped into their lap. Maybe even the same person more than once. A shop - or any other method handing out prizes evenly, however, will make sure that Tinsels and Shimmers will be available to a lot of, if not all players (eventually). In other words: In such a scenario, everyone is a winner. Not just a lucky few. However, the "prize" isn't worth as much as one of the very scarce prizes that are around right now.

So, the actual question you need to ask yourself is: Would you prefer to have a CB Tinsel/Shimmerscale or even several (after a while) whose offspring isn't worth much, or would you prefer that a few lucky winners will not only get those CB Tinsels/Shimmers, but also the dragon cave equivalent to a money printing press? Do you want to be able to actually work with Tinsels/Shimmers to create lineages through trading, or do you prefer the "value" or stock market aspect they have now?

Personally, I feel that both Tinsels and Shimmers are special enough due to their amazing spritework and being so incredibly shiny on top of that. I'd love to actually work with them and create numerous lovely lineages, mostly checkers. Which is very hard to do at the moment due to the rather low supply of available 2nd gens.

I never liked the idea of the prize dragons, but I would like a chance of getting a CB of anything else commonly available.

The prize dragons themselves were a big no because they were a super rare breed only a few hundred got and could be traded for CB Golds and Silvers.. and in general really ruined the trading economy and encouraged botting.

But I think things like CB Hollies, etc are fine.