Paradisiske

ANSWERED:bring back cb prizes

I can't sit on the sidelines anymore. I'm with Robot Chimera. As unpopular of an opinion as it is, I don't think "The Store" is as a definitive cure-all as everyone thinks. It is one option, but it too is flawed, namely putting prices on things that did not have prices to begin with and destroying some semblance of a trade market. In fact, why trade for anything at all when I can just buy exactly what I want?

Except that you can only buy so much so fast. There will still be people who want to exchange uncommons and rares. There will still be people with a CB uncommon or rare who want a bunch of hatchlings in exchange. There will absolutely still be people who want to trade lineaged dragons. I don't think it will change the trading market much at all, really. The store isn't a free giveaway. It takes time and dedication to wring anything rare out of it. So the people who often catch uncommons and rares as trading fodder will still do so because their lives don't revolve around getting stuff from the store, they just can't. What it will mostly change is that 2nd gen prizes will drop in value as soon as people reach the magic point some months in when they can afford them. So the big thing in the trading market will return to being the CB gold and silver and the neglected (and alts).

Basically, the people who need a CB blusang *now* but don't have enough points for it, or are dedicating all their points to getting a CB rare, are going to go to the trading market for it, just like they do now.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I can't sit on the sidelines anymore. I'm with Robot Chimera. As unpopular of an opinion as it is, I don't think "The Store" is as a definitive cure-all as everyone thinks. It is one option, but it too is flawed, namely putting prices on things that did not have prices to begin with and destroying some semblance of a trade market. In fact, why trade for anything at all when I can just buy exactly what I want?

(snip)

The store may not be a cure-all and we should definitely consider other options as well, but we cannot pretend that the trade market is fine and dandy right now.

Lemme tell you my perspective as a ye olde DC player like you. My first prize I got was a higher gen bronze tinsel (8th, I think) that I got from the prize gifting thread that used to exist. I worked very hard and traded a 3rd gen silver for a 5th gen bronze tinsel from a supposedly rare line. Fast forward to the past few years. I traded several 2nd gen holidays for my 2nd gen tinsel. I have picked up multiple 3rd gen prizes from the departure thread. Most times, my 4-5th gen prize lines barely go for one common CB hatchling. Oftentimes, most 2nd gen prizes are up for bloodswaps or things that the average user does not have.

While I like other options more than the store, I sure would buy all my prizes and rare things that I wanted without having to trade for them. Then I could gift even more frequently of what I have.

It's also important to remember that back in ye olde pre-biome, pre-raffle, pre-teleport DC (the one that you're nostalgic about), trading was not an acknowledged part of the game and these "priceless" dragons have had a price on them for quite a long while. I'd rather it be acknowledged with the store than swept under the rug as if nothing is wrong.

Except that you can only buy so much so fast.  There will still be people who want to exchange uncommons and rares.  There will still be people with a CB uncommon or rare who want a bunch of hatchlings in exchange.  There will absolutely still be people who want to trade lineaged dragons.  I don't think it will change the trading market much at all, really.  The store isn't a free giveaway.  It takes time and dedication to wring anything rare out of it.  So the people who often catch uncommons and rares as trading fodder will still do so because their lives don't revolve around getting stuff from the store, they just can't.  What it will mostly change is that 2nd gen prizes will drop in value as soon as people reach the magic point some months in when they can afford them.  So the big thing in the trading market will return to being the CB gold and silver and the neglected (and alts).

Basically, the people who need a CB blusang *now* but don't have enough points for it, or are dedicating all their points to getting a CB rare, are going to go to the trading market for it, just like they do now.

I highly doubt that. If someone wants a CB blusang, they camp in the Coast and wait until it drops.

The issue is that prizes should NOT be in the store. The way they would be implemented would make them worthless.

And really, you honestly think people aren't going to save up for prizes first thing after seeing all the hype for them? Ridiculous. Within 4-6 months Prizes will be nothing more than the new mildly uncommon 2G. This is why I say the store itself is fine as long as prizes are kept out of it. There are better solutions rather than turning them into commons.

The store may not be a cure-all and we should definitely consider other options as well, but we cannot pretend that the trade market is fine and dandy right now.

Lemme tell you my perspective as a ye olde DC player like you. My first prize I got was a higher gen bronze tinsel (8th, I think) that I got from the prize gifting thread that used to exist. I worked very hard and traded a 3rd gen silver for a 5th gen bronze tinsel from a supposedly rare line. Fast forward to the past few years. I traded several 2nd gen holidays for my 2nd gen tinsel. I have picked up multiple 3rd gen prizes from the departure thread. Most times, my 4-5th gen prize lines barely go for one common CB hatchling.  Oftentimes, most 2nd gen prizes are up for bloodswaps or things that the average user does not have.

While I like other options more than the store, I sure would buy all my prizes and rare things that I wanted without having to trade for them. Then I could gift even more frequently of what I have.

It's also important to remember that back in ye olde pre-biome, pre-raffle, pre-teleport DC (the one that you're nostalgic about), trading was not an acknowledged part of the game and these "priceless" dragons have had a price on them for quite a long while. I'd rather it be acknowledged with the store than swept under the rug as if nothing is wrong.

I agree with re-releasing prizes, as it's currently impossible to get a 2G without having 4 CB golds at once. However the store would, again, make them just another common. However turning them into uncommons won't help the economy at all (hence why I do not support them in the store)

Making them obtainable from a holiday event would enable them to still be rare, but actually make them OBTAINABLE for people. Once people got the CBs, more 2Gs would be available for trade and even gifting, but they still wouldn't be something you could just trade a 42g inbred mint hatchling for.

Edited by Robot Chimera

I highly doubt that. If someone wants a CB blusang, they camp in the Coast and wait until it drops.

The issue is that prizes should NOT be in the store. The way they would be implemented would make them worthless.

And really, you honestly think people aren't going to save up for prizes first thing after seeing all the hype for them? Ridiculous. Within 4-6 months Prizes will be nothing more than the new mildly uncommon 2G. This is why I say the store itself is fine as long as prizes are kept out of it. There are better solutions rather than turning them into commons.

I agree with re-releasing prizes, as it's currently impossible to get a 2G without having 4 CB golds at once. However the store would, again, make them just another common. However turning them into uncommons won't help the economy at all (hence why I do not support them in the store)

Making them obtainable from a holiday event would enable them to still be rare, but actually make them OBTAINABLE for people. Once people got the CBs, more 2Gs would be available for trade and even gifting, but they still wouldn't be something you could just trade a 42g inbred mint hatchling for.

I want prizes in the store. I want them to be considered uncommon regardless of how they reappear on the site--if ever. There's a problem if a 2nd gen costs an arm and a leg and a 3rd or 4th gen is worth diddly and has to be given away. We need to increase the breeding pool. There are less that 1 percent of users with prizes. They don't need to be rare. They already are.

I want something *fair* that is *worked for*. That's what I want when it comes to CB Prizes. What we have *now* is not fair in the least, since only a handful of people have CB Prizes and apparently raffles are a thing of the past. Okay, so what we have now is not fair. How to make it fair?

I would agree with "holiday events" giving out CB Prizes as long as the events were *easy* (to a degree) and *everyone* that completed the event got one. I mean easy like the text-based Valentine adventures we used to have. Not this Minesweeper crap that some people honestly *can't* play. You earn a CB Prize by going through the event game. Everyone who finishes gets one. Maybe you get an option for what type you want (I'd personally go for a Bronze Shimmerscale).

I agree that having them drop as commons would make Prizes in general too common, but I could totally get behind having CB Prizes drop like CB Blusangs. Not impossible to get, but it takes work. It takes time.

I, of course, will always support the store, because in my eyes it's the fairest way of all. All users can play the game they've always played and earn shards/points/whatever that can eventually be used to buy a CB Prize. Effort needed? Yes. Fair? Yes.

I want something *fair* that is *worked for*. That's what I want when it comes to CB Prizes. What we have *now* is not fair in the least, since only a handful of people have CB Prizes and apparently raffles are a thing of the past. Okay, so what we have now is not fair. How to make it fair?

I would agree with "holiday events" giving out CB Prizes as long as the events were *easy* (to a degree) and *everyone* that completed the event got one. I mean easy like the text-based Valentine adventures we used to have. Not this Minesweeper crap that some people honestly *can't* play. You earn a CB Prize by going through the event game. Everyone who finishes gets one. Maybe you get an option for what type you want (I'd personally go for a Bronze Shimmerscale).

I agree that having them drop as commons would make Prizes in general too common, but I could totally get behind having CB Prizes drop like CB Blusangs. Not impossible to get, but it takes work. It takes time.

I, of course, will always support the store, because in my eyes it's the fairest way of all. All users can play the game they've always played and earn shards/points/whatever that can eventually be used to buy a CB Prize. Effort needed? Yes. Fair? Yes.

I agree with all of this.

Especially the games part - the valentine one mentioned was one everyone could do. The mana one was easy for me, but some people never managed to complete it, and not for want of trying.

Camp on the coast for a Blusang ? Yeah right. I've not seen one in months (I wasn't there looking for one; I have plenty from the initial flood, but I've barely seen one since.) If I needed one and the store existed, too right I'd save for it. Not everyone would go for a prize. But

This whole "worthless" thing is at the heart of the issue.

Those who have don't want theirs to be "cheapened" in trade. Those who hope to get one plan to be just as exclusionist with them.

However turning them into uncommons won't help the economy at all (hence why I do not support them in the store)

This game is not (or should not be) an economy. It's a collecting game. Before the prizes were given out, trading was relatively pleasant. Now - except between like minded people who don't want to play the dragon stock market - it isn't. The prizes wrecked the "market" - if people must see trading that way. They need to be MUCH more common to get things back on track.

I want prizes in the store. I want them to be considered uncommon regardless of how they reappear on the site--if ever. There's a problem if a 2nd gen costs an arm and a leg and a 3rd or 4th gen is worth diddly and has to be given away. We need to increase the breeding pool. There are less that 1 percent of users with prizes. They don't need to be rare. They already are.

I sure would buy all my prizes and rare things that I wanted without having to trade for them. Then I could gift even more frequently of what I have.

YES. At the moment 2 gens are traded like for like in the lucky people thread. I was SO lucky to be given one by someone who doesn't believe in all that. But I can't get anything for trading a 3rd gen; the lucky ones can make those among themselves. (I don't actually mind as such; I generally trade for EGs for my own common checkers, but that's what prize dragons have done - make for an almost private trading thread for the lucky few. NOT cool. Sadly it's just like real life - the rich get richer and the poorer angrier. I come here to get away from real life, thanks very much smile.gif

I would agree with "holiday events" giving out CB Prizes as long as the events were *easy* (to a degree) and *everyone* that completed the event got one. I mean easy like the text-based Valentine adventures we used to have. Not this Minesweeper crap that some people honestly *can't* play. You earn a CB Prize by going through the event game. Everyone who finishes gets one.

The problem with this idea is that the events are organized and assets provided by a very small set of volunteers - your friendly neighborhood in-cave artists. You're putting restrictions on what we can plan for the events. We already try to be inclusive. Now you're suggesting putting limitations on us. "You can plan this kind of event but not that kind." It can be hard enough to come up with something fresh and interesting.

Just for my two cents, leave events out of the discussion of CB prizes returning.

There could be a simple text based one on the side, perhaps ? Events CAN be hard on people who literally cannot do them. For some reason there were people this year who got totally frozen out of the wonderful game you all made. TJ and birdz (I think ?) managed to get some back in - but some literally stuck and couldn't move, the end sad.gif

Just for my two cents, leave events out of the discussion of CB prizes returning.

However, they originally were added due to the events. So it is pretty hard not to get the two in hand, and I can also understand why you say that (^^^) too. smile.gif

(Even though the easiest way for me would be just to add them back into events. Even if it was compounding in the years, so over a 10 year period you're more likely to get one than a person playing few 2... I'll be happy to wait. smile.gif It just we need new blood, "discontinuing them" does nothing in helping lower gen prizes become obtainable.)

What I'm trying to say is that while you guys are discussing how and if events should be considered in bringing back CB prizes leave out any discussion of what sort of event is acceptable. You can be sure that if completing events were to be tied again to obtaining CB prizes it would factor into the plans. The goal already is to plan something everyone can do. But please don't try to put limitations on the events themselves.

I was honestly surprised that so many people had a hard time with minesweeper. The game has been around for decades and used to come automatically with any installation of Windows. I figured it was something everyone had played. No one else helping with the planning seemed to think people might have trouble with it either. I was very glad to see so many people helping others out in the news thread, though also not surprised by it. It's how DC works.

Maybe a weekly or monthly lotto? o:

One for Tinsel and one for Shimmers?

Maybe weekly for a random Tinsel and monthly for a Random Shimmer?

Players can just click ''Enter into weekly/monthly lotto'' on the Cave and done!

I think this would be a good idea and solution, what do yall think about this idea?

The lotto idea could be edited, does not have to be exactly this.

Could just be a monthly lotto with 1 Shimmer winner and 1-3 Tinsel winners or something.

But I am liking this lotto idea a lot and you just have to get on the cave to enter.

Edited by maylin

What I'm trying to say is that while you guys are discussing how and if events should be considered in bringing back CB prizes leave out any discussion of what sort of event is acceptable. You can be sure that if completing events were to be tied again to obtaining CB prizes it would factor into the plans. The goal already is to plan something everyone can do. But please don't try to put limitations on the events themselves.

I was honestly surprised that so many people had a hard time with minesweeper. The game has been around for decades and used to come automatically with any installation of Windows. I figured it was something everyone had played. No one else helping with the planning seemed to think people might have trouble with it either. I was very glad to see so many people helping others out in the news thread, though also not surprised by it. It's how DC works.

GREAT - thanks, Fi.

Yes, minesweeper comes with Windows (up to 8, at least). I am an addict and had no trouble at all. I have friends who simply can't UNDERSTAND it. Reminds me of my father, with a first class degree in logic among other things, who simply could not understand the concept of an anagram. Nor could he understand the game of Mastermind - the one with the little pegs - which is basically a matter of syllogisms (I even tried explaining it to him that way - nup.)

A lotto is no different from a raffle. I would hate that for the same reason I hate raffles.

Players can just click ''Enter into weekly/monthly lotto'' on the Cave and done!

I think this would be a good idea and solution, what do yall think about this idea?

Could just be a monthly lotto with 1 Shimmer winner and 1-3 Tinsel winners or something.

But I am liking this lotto idea a lot and you just have to get on the cave to enter.

....eeeeh...

If this is the only way we get them back, I guess...but I see nothing but the normal Raffle problems, but once a month instead of once a year. We have literally tousands of people playing, so it would take forever to get each person even one Tinsel/Shimmerscale. And would there be a restriction against people who already have one of either type? It's the only way to make it 'fair' for the rest of us, but it somehow doesn't feel fair at all.

I guess i'd take it over the old raffles, but I'd really rather not.

Again, I want something users can *do* to get CB Prizes. I do not support the raffle, never did really, and a lotto is the same thing. It's based on pure luck. No one can work for it. No one can put in time and effort and know that it's going to pay off. You have to rely on pure dumb luck, and I don't like that.

Perhaps this has already been noted here, but if Prize dragons were in some form of store, then, yes, they would be less rare than they are now. However, they wouldn't necessarily be common or worthless, since the price for a Prize would likely require a long time playing to build up to; you wouldn't necessarily be able to go to the store and purchase a prize any day.

(I personally like the idea of it taking about a year to earn yourself a Prize, since the raffle was yearly if I remember correctly, but since there are different play styles it might be difficult to pin down what price is a year's worth.)

A reminder of all the currently theorized options for CB Prizes:

{snip}

It seems like the current range of choices for getting CB Prizes back in the game are:

(from most liked in the thread to least liked in the thread)

1) The Store/Trader's Canyon

- Which may or may not happen (Currently: no confirmation by TJ)

- If it does happen, it won't be anytime soon and possibly not in the same way that the request is currently designed.

- Loss of "Prize" association

- Places a price tag on dragons that may make it difficult for different players to afford the dragons due to differing play styles

- Current design allows you to buy as many prizes as you can if you have the points for it, but getting points is limited to a weekly cap

--- Points are gained through catching eggs, raising dragons, breeding, and using BSA's

- Allows you to accumulate enough points to buy a Prize Dragon every 4-5 months if you stockpile all your points, consistently max out your weekly cap, and don't spend on anything else

2) A Prize for Completing [insert Holiday] Event

- 1 prize of the player's choice per event per year (so you can only get a single CB prize a year for completing any one of the holiday events that year)

- Relatively easy way to get CB's

- Number of CB obtainable is limited

- Unable to get CB Prize if miss the event

3) A Prize for a specific Mini-Game

- 1 prize of the player's choice per completion of mini-game

- May or may not be tied to specific Dragon Cave Events

- May or may not be able to play multiple times to get more CB Prizes

- May restrict access to CB Prizes for players who can't play [insert mini-game here] well

4) Earning a "Prize" for raising/breeding/catching [insert number] Dragons

- Prizes given from bronze to gold as ascending number of achievements are met

- May be unattainable for players with certain play styles

- Possibly tie getting CB Prizes to trophies?

---- (Will people who already have gold trophies get all the Prize dragons or just gold versions or no prizes at all?)

5) "Summon" a Prize Dragon via a BSA of a Dragon

- Can get Prize eggs via a similar mechanic to Summoning GoN's, with all the pros and cons of the "Summon" BSA

- May force players to collect a dragon they were never intending to collect to get the Prize dragons

- Relies on chance for summoning the Prize

- May take years to get prizes if not enough of [insert Dragon breed]

6) Release in the Cave

- Functions as essentially another shiny rare dragon breed, with all the pros and cons of another shiny rare breed

- Obtainable in the cave to all players

- May be all year round or limited to Holiday Seasons

- No limitations on number or color other than set rarity,

- Biggest influences are outside the game: internet quality, computer age, and the player's physical ability

- May lead to discrepency in scrolls seen in other CB shiny rares

- May affect trading market similar to other shiny rares

- Good luck finding one

- Good luck catching one

7) Raffles

- Relies solely on chance for players to receive Prize Dragons

- No Longer active at the moment

- Tied to the Winter Holiday Events

- Led to the current situation of a near minuscule amount of players with total control of CB Prize Dragons and low lineage offspring

- Pushed the trading market in the favor of the few players with the CB Dragons

- Loss of breeding CB Prizes from Scroll Burning (multi-scrollers), Frozen Dragons, Released Dragons, Unclaimed Prizes, In-active Players, etc. have an incredible effect on number of CB Prizes and Low gen offspring due to the low number of dragons handed out by this mechanism

- A Very disliked option

- VERY.

Honorable Mention

8) Any one of the above

- Players that just want CB Prizes in some way or form and don't care too much about the method.

9) Lottery

- A Raffle like give a way of CB Prizes

- Similar pros and cons as Raffles

- Not associated with events

- Monthly, Quarterly, or other time frames for raffles (Just not yearly)

- Note: Not enough comments on this to decide where it stands.

--

Anything I am missing? Any suggestions on changing the order?

Note: This order is not my personal order, but just from what I got from following the thread.

- Numbers 1 and 2 look most liked to me, while Numbers 6 and 7 look most disliked.

- Numbers 3 through 5 are not nearly as clear as which one is more disliked than the other.

That would help making CB tinsels and shimmers more common - but it wouldn't be much different from the big raffle we used to have, only with some extra things against them:

- Forum atmosphere around the time of the raffle was toxic at best - what do you think it would be with a weekly lotto?

- With a weekly lotto, you'll have most players not winning at all, while the luckiest player will probably win 3 or more times in one year. Imagine that outcry!

- Since TJ pretty much has to manually add each and every tinsel and shimmer egg to the respective scroll - thanks to unique codes, at the very least - he'd now be working on handing out "prizes" pretty much all year long. I'm 100% sure he'd love to do just that. /sarcasm

Overall, I'd say that a weekly or monthly lotto is probably the only suggestion that's even worse than the raffle - and I hated the idea of the raffles with a passion to begin with.

@Fi: You could not only use the "surprise events" like the game for this and last Christmas or whatever else you guys come up with, but also the Easter egg hunt and the trick or treat collecting events for "rewarding" players - with a yearly cap of how many prizes one can get, that is. Or maybe use event completion for different tiers - 1 event completed: bronze (tinsel/shimmer), 3 events completed: silver (tinsel/shimmer), all 5 events completed: gold (tinsel/shimmer) or HM (CB dragon of choice).

Edited by olympe

If anything, that would make it worse! At least in the previous raffles it took a year, but there was the handout of over 100 draggies... Instead swap that with 12?

It would hardly impact the ratio and still cause trading problems IMO. If it was more like 50 a month - thats why I still support during all holidays, 100 or so each holiday... 300 a year. - then we might be talking. wink.gif

I don't know much, but with the addition of giving out CB prizes, couldn't he just send a blank sprite and then the new owner adds it in? (Aka: no code until the new owner adds it in. It could be some sort of "name" option. If not, I'm just happy with the winner not choosing the code and just a random code.)

If anything, that would make it worse! At least in the previous raffles it took a year, but there was the handout of over 100 draggies... Instead swap that with 12?

It would hardly impact the ratio and still cause trading problems IMO. If it was more like 50 a month - thats why I still support during all holidays, 100 or so each holiday... 300 a year. - then we might be talking. wink.gif

I don't know much, but with the addition of giving out CB prizes, couldn't he just send a blank sprite and then the new owner adds it in? (Aka: no code until the new owner adds it in. It could be some sort of "name" option. If not, I'm just happy with the winner not choosing the code and just a random code.)

I had no idea so many prizes were given out before O:

Was was not a active forum user until like the past two years ^^'

But yeah I like that idea, every Holiday a 100 prizes dragons given out.

But people just seem to hate the idea of a raffle/givaway so much even though it seems the simplest solution x-x

I had no idea so many prizes were given out before O:

Was was not a active forum user until like the past two years ^^'

But yeah I like that idea, every Holiday a 100 prizes dragons given out.

But people just seem to hate the idea of a raffle/givaway so much even though it seems the simplest solution x-x

Simplest is not always best. The atmosphere, the ill feeling that the raffles brought here made quite a few people actually quit the forum, and one or two even quit playing for a while. (and those are only the people I know about personally.)

As to 100 given out every holiday - well, firstly - to whom ? but also - in the last one we had there were FAR more than that given out:

50x - 1st place Shimmer

100x - 2nd place Shimmer

150x - 3rd place Shimmer

50x - 1st place Tinsel

100x - 2nd place Tinsel

150x - 3rd place Tinsel

There were no Honourable mentions.

A drop in the ocean. Well over 99% of players, I'd bet, got nothing.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Just curious, but when you did events that were tied to raffle participation in the past, did you first plan according to ease of play and then according to ease of gathering entries? Or was it just kind of sprung onto you mid-way through game creation?

Also @Fuzz- I think many of the prizes also went unclaimed for that year.

The last Raffle was a mess. Claiming your Prize didn't work right for a while, around a day maybe based on my email. You had to type in the code you want and click save/claim/whatever the button said. Only it wasn't actually counting. People pretty much thought it was all fine and normal and we were allowed to change our code choice until the deadline. But we were told nope, it wasn't working at all. A second email went out but this could have easily been missed by people who thought they were in the clear/got busy/never heard of the issue/etc.

@Jazeki - it's a little hard to say. I think a variety happened, to be honest. We do try to make sure everything is something everyone can do though.

Simplest is not always best. The atmosphere, the ill feeling that the raffles brought here made quite a few people actually quit the forum, and one or two even quit playing for a while. (and those are only the people I know about personally.)

As to 100 given out every holiday - well, firstly - to whom ? but also - in the last one we had there were FAR more than that given out:

A drop in the ocean. Well over 99% of players, I'd bet, got nothing.

Really?

As for the raffle, it could be done with a yearly participation, everyone starts off with 10 "tickets" and each year a person has been playing DC it adds on another 10-50... So people that have played from the start - 2017 - would have around 110-510 tickets compared to a newbie, which as around 10. I personally think its fair to reward many of the long time users and give them something that gets them to come back. And something for newbies to work for. Each holiday, the oldies have an increased change, and in time, so does the newbies.

(And at first the raffles are around 150, the last one was by far the greatest... And unfortunately they stopped. If TJ continued with them in that number, in time they would be accessable to a far amount of players.)

I don't think the number of tickets will really influence the chance of a longer playing user winning. One of the years, a newbie stated they won with having just one entry. Raffles are about chance and though older users may get more tickets, that number matters less as more and more people enter the raffle.

@Fi- Thanks for the insight!

Edited by Jazeki