Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

5 minutes ago, rinoa26 said:

Try the encyclopedia helpers :)

Thanks! I'll try that. I should have unlocked at least 3 as I have more than 3 of the gold /red lights, so I hope that works! :D

EDIT: IT worked!! Thanks sooo much rinoa26!!

Edited by kiramaru7

48 minutes ago, 0x08 said:

Alternatively, press End on your Windows keyboard or Cmd+down arrow on your macOS keyboard to go straight to the bottom of the page. If the Blue Dino has no empty spot next to it, then it'll mean the cookie ladies have been added. ;)

Ahh; can’t do that as I’m on a mobile tablet and phone for the most part. :P

~~~~~~~~~

New Question:

This was addressed awhile back, but I can’t remember the answer.

What happens to hatchlings that hatch while they are in the AP? Is there a way to prevent them from growing up and going into the wild, and if so, what is that method?

Edited by missy_

1 minute ago, kiramaru7 said:

Thanks! I'll try that. I should have unlocked at least 3 as I have more than 3 of the gold /red lights, so I hope that works! :D

If you mean your newly grown Glysteres, they don't count for the redecorated versions now. They grew up as the Multicolored ones and are counted as such. One dragon can only count once every 30 days for observation.

19 minutes ago, missy_ said:

New Question:

This was addressed awhile back, but I can’t remember the answer.

What happens to hatchlings that hatch while they are in the AP? Is there a way to prevent them from growing up and going into the wild, and if so, what is that method?

You would have to pick them up ! There's nothing anyone can do to anything that's in the AP except put their codes into hatcheries - which wouldn't help here.

Are there scenarios where an AP egg might be put in a hatchery, tossed back into the AP, hatch in the AP, but never get to the “front of the line“ and end up going automatically into the Wilderness?

I believe the mechanisms for this were discussed at length some time ago, but I cannot remember the outcome.

23 minutes ago, missy_ said:

If they're removed from hatcheries before being abandoned, they won't get the final view needed to grow and will remain in the ap.

Are there scenarios where an AP egg might be put in a hatchery, tossed back into the AP, hatch in the AP, but never get to the “front of the line“ and end up going automatically into the Wilderness?

It's more likely to happen to abandoned hatchies or younger hatcheried eggs that get abandoned, but I have seen eggs hatch in AP. Other than that, there's also a glitch where certain non-holiday eggs don't appear in the AP until too low-time. This happening to AP time eggs is pretty infrequent though.

Just now, Shadowdrake said:

If they're removed from hatcheries before being abandoned, they won't get the final view needed to grow and will remain in the ap.

And die rather than go wild ?

Just now, Shadowdrake said:

It's more likely to happen to abandoned hatchies or younger hatcheried eggs that get abandoned, but I have seen eggs hatch in AP. Other than that, there's also a glitch where certain non-holiday eggs don't appear in the AP until too low-time. This happening to AP time eggs is pretty infrequent though.

I have too - including one of mine once, that had autoed and I didn't know to ask someone to get it back - I had renamed the parents but it didn't work. It ended up wild. :(

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And die rather than go wild ?

Aside from the glitch, the AP never gets low enough for hatchies to die and they'll always be picked up as long as they show up.

Um how did my poor one end up wild ? It autoed and I watched it and no-one actually picked it up, so I suppose someone added it by code.

https://dragcave.net/view/Q9eu2

:(

Edited by Fuzzbucket

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

so I suppose someone added it by code.

People do do that kind of strange thing! I guess they're trying to "save" the dragon. That just happened to one of my neglect experiments (sigh) I probably should've unfogged them even later (was trying to prepare teleport links and set things up with my friend so I unfogged them when I got up in the morning, perhaps 5 hours before ToD). They must've reached the egg through the lineage, good thing I didnt have my scroll name anywhere, or I suppose all five of my experiments would've been gone.

Small question- why do the new xenowyrms cost so much less than the "old" ones, even though the older ones seem less rare? I've caught every xenowyrm I saw today, and none of them were new. 

Am I just unlucky?

3 hours ago, Nokturna said:

Small question- why do the new xenowyrms cost so much less than the "old" ones, even though the older ones seem less rare? I've caught every xenowyrm I saw today, and none of them were new. 

Am I just unlucky?

As far as I know they're of similar rarity, and it's literally luck if you get the old or the new when you click on eggs with that description from the biomes.

That the market price of older breed is higher might've been because of breeding stuff and these ratios? Like I still don't understand how magma dragon is like 1200 shards above both ice and thunder, as far as I know it's even easier to find CB magmas than ice or thunder.

When undead dragons got the new sprites for every morphology, what happened to the sprites of the preexisting undead dragons? Did they all become undead Westerns, or was record of their previous morphology stored somewhere so they changed accordingly?

Edited by 0x08

2 hours ago, 0x08 said:

When undead dragons got the new sprites for every morphology, what happened to the sprites of the preexisting undead dragons? Did they all become undead Westerns, or was record of their previous morphology stored somewhere so they changed accordingly?

I believe they always did breed-sort with their old breed, so it was remembered.

2 hours ago, 0x08 said:

I think it changes accordingly...? I'm not so sure at the moment but here's a dragon you can watch to be more certain: https://dragcave.net/view/4c49r

I found this in the encyc helper thread, it's a zombie from 2012, one parent is wingless and one parent is sea serpent, so according to the new subtypes it can not possibly be a western. So, if its sprite end up western, then all preexisting undead become western, if it's not western, then they change accordingly. You'll be able to know for sure in 6 hours once we reach midnight and its zombie sprite show up 

Edited by Moriaty

Where do I find the Christmas Dragons in the encyclopedia? I'm a bit lost. lol

5 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Where do I find the Christmas Dragons in the encyclopedia? I'm a bit lost. lol

They're all labeled as "holiday dragons (year)", so go for "H"

Spoiler

862727322_ScreenShot2021-12-30at6_44_41PM.thumb.png.f1ce23c9f6a5faba38ec47829cba449a.png

EDIT: this is interesting, my snow angels have tri colored wings, but they show as white. I guess that's the default image for encyc...

Edited by Moriaty

7 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

They're all labeled as "holiday dragons (year)", so go for "H"

Reveal hidden contents

862727322_ScreenShot2021-12-30at6_44_41PM.thumb.png.f1ce23c9f6a5faba38ec47829cba449a.png

EDIT: this is interesting, my snow angels have tri colored wings, but they show as white. I guess that's the default image for encyc...

They haven't shown up yet, so I didn't see them. lol. Guess I have to wait until I hatch/grow up more. 

1 minute ago, AsymDoll13 said:

They haven't shown up yet, so I didn't see them. lol. Guess I have to wait until I hatch/grow up more. 

You can go to the encyclopedia helper thread to unlock the images! You only need to view 15 adults to unlock the adult image (thus unlocking the shadow). If you already have one or two adults that'd reduce the amount you need to view by a bit too.

Here's the link to the thread, you can find a lot of spreadsheets with dragons in it (though personally, I find it easier to just find a player with a large number of dragons, find their holidays, and view them that way instead of dealing with google sheets): 

7 hours ago, Nokturna said:

why do the new xenowyrms cost so much less than the "old" ones

Market price is partly based off total population. New dragons almost always cost 100 or 200 because they need many years to catch up to older breeds like nebulas, and the old xenos were very popular so the new ones have a lot of catching up to do.

On 12/29/2021 at 4:11 PM, Shadowdrake said:

Thank you, Shadowdrake.   So if one wanted to release a hatchling for someone else to pick up, one needs to remove it from all hatcheries first to keep it from growing up in the Wilderness?  Or is that not foolproof?  (I assume that most people will pick up a hatchling if it’s in the AP.)

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a really niche situation. Your hatchie would need to be close to 4d and the entire AP would need to be well under 4d. This is pretty much a end-of-holiday-only situation.

If you *do* dump a hatchie in this situation, having the hatchie removed from all clicksites should theoretically guarantee it gets picked up or dies. The stat total required to bring a hatchie to adulthood steadily lowers as the hatchie gets closer to death (this is the same phenomenon that makes low-time eggs easier to hatch than high-time eggs), but once the hatchie has the stat total required to grow up, it needs one last view to sort of refresh its growing/adult status (you can see this in eggs as well). I don't believe simply seeing the hatchie float across the AP counts for this last view, so the hatchie would need help from a clicksite or someone would need to pick up the hatchie for the last view to register.

Following through with this thought experiment, as you noted, most people will pick up a hatchie if it floats across the AP, so the only way the hatchie should die is if it stays behind the egg queue until it dies. The entire AP would need to be dying and the playerbase would need to let it happen. Right now that doesn't happen - the lowest I've seen in the holiday walls is about 2d12h. Maybe in a few more years as people pick up and breed more holidays, but I don't think it'll happen. TJ would alter the site's design decisions before things get that bad.

9 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I believe they always did breed-sort with their old breed, so it was remembered.

8 hours ago, Moriaty said:

I think it changes accordingly...? I'm not so sure at the moment but here's a dragon you can watch to be more certain: https://dragcave.net/view/4c49r

I found this in the encyc helper thread, it's a zombie from 2012, one parent is wingless and one parent is sea serpent, so according to the new subtypes it can not possibly be a western. So, if its sprite end up western, then all preexisting undead become western, if it's not western, then they change accordingly. You'll be able to know for sure in 6 hours once we reach midnight and its zombie sprite show up 

Sure enough, that zombie there is a sea serpent. Neat. Thank you both for checking for me. :)

2 hours ago, 0x08 said:

Sure enough, that zombie there is a sea serpent. Neat. Thank you both for checking for me. :)

Ooh, it's zombie day! Thanks for the reminder!

*runs off to look at zombies*