rendragyn

Make CB Golds **slighty** less rare

So basically no ratio change imo until the cheaters are dealt with because ratio changes are just going to make things easier for THEM and harder for US.

I'm not 100% sure that I understand who is "THEM" and who is "US" but... I like the status quo and, after spending quite a lot of time reading the forum posts when metals were dropping like rain in the first and second quarter of 2013, I can't understand why would be positive to go back there.

Still, do you mind explaining how changing the ratios to make Golds less rare would benefit cheating?

Please note again that I'm against that change but intellectual honesty keeps me wondering.

I'm not 100% sure that I understand who is "THEM" and who is "US" but... I like the status quo and, after spending quite a lot of time reading the forum posts when metals were dropping like rain in the first and second quarter of 2013, I can't understand why would be positive to go back there.

Still, do you mind explaining how changing the ratios to make Golds less rare would benefit cheating?

Please note again that I'm against that change but intellectual honesty keeps me wondering.

The theaory is that the easier they drop the easier cheaters will have access at them. Its like if you had a robotic arm that could grab what you wanted at a moments notice. When its difficult to obtain it takes you a little longer but the moment its availabe you get it anyways. If its less difficult to obtain your robotic arm can simply catch it faster than before.

I personally don't understand this argument because whether they become insanely hard to get or easy as rain to get, cheaters will have access to them regardless. The only thing is that in the first scenarion only the cheaters will have access to them because the second they are available they are nabbed by their program or whatever. If they are easy as rain to get (ratios are improved) then people at least have a chance to get one while the program grabs another.

I think that there can be changes to deter cheaters but just because cheaters exist it should not deter improvement for the community. Punishing the rest of us for the bad actions of a few is not how you solve a problem.

I think cb golds are a bit too rare so just bumping up their ratios a bit should be good. But really no matter how we tweak the ratios it's not going to do much good with all the cheaters snatching up all the golds. Like just tweaking the descriptions a bit should help. I don't know how this actually works like if you need to change the words or placement but it should be done.

So basically no ratio change imo until the cheaters are dealt with because ratio changes are just going to make things easier for THEM and harder for US.

I definitely agree that we should deal with cheaters, but if in fact CB Metals became easier to find then it does mean it's easier for the rest of us who don't use 3rd party software to obtain them as well. Don't forget cheaters have a limit and it's a limit we all share, the egg limit and overall scroll limit.

Y'all are right. By them I meant the cheaters and us the non cheaters. Sorry that was unclear. What I was thinking about that is right now very few golds drop in the cave so if we bumped up their ratios cheaters would just be able to glut themselves even more. Usually when I think of cheater I think of someone with at least over 10 different scrolls each that are scripting because if you're already breaking the rules go big or go home.

I am aware that is not always the case and you guys are correct. Cheaters shouldn't be the reason why something like this shouldn't happen. I personally just wouldn't be happy with it.

Honestly, this request is simply a case of people without CB Golds wanting CB Golds. It's not really constructive or game-improving. We literally just want CB Golds. And yes, I am one of the people in support of this, for a reason as superficial as "I WANT A CB GOLD". Because I have been on DC for 5 years now and I've spent my share of time stalking the cave (even back when there was just one cave and 3 eggs at a time, yep!) and even after the implementation of biomes, I have only ever seen just ONE Gold in the cave. I did not catch it. I still have no CB Golds. I have 2 CB Silvers that I didn't even have to seek out. I didn't go looking for them, I stumbled across them in the cave and got lucky. But Golds? I can vaguely recall one "almost metallic-looking" egg in the cave. I clicked, I missed, and I literally haven't seen one since. :/

lol nevermind my edit i am dumb and can't read

Edited by glamoursea2

Honestly, this request is simply a case of people without CB Golds wanting CB Golds. It's not really constructive or game-improving. We literally just want CB Golds. And yes, I am one of the people in support of this, for a reason as superficial as "I WANT A CB GOLD". Because I have been on DC for 5 years now and I've spent my share of time stalking the cave (even back when there was just one cave and 3 eggs at a time, yep!) and even after the implementation of biomes, I have only ever seen just ONE Gold in the cave. I did not catch it. I still have no CB Golds. I have 2 CB Silvers that I didn't even have to seek out. I didn't go looking for them, I stumbled across them in the cave and got lucky. But Golds? I can vaguely recall one "almost metallic-looking" egg in the cave. I clicked, I missed, and I literally haven't seen one since. :/

lol nevermind my edit i am dumb and can't read

I... I have CB golds, most gifted, but I'd like to be able to catch one on my own. I've caught blusangs, tan ridgemwings, heck even red dorsals, but the dragons that are so valuable that people cheat for them or that only those with mad reflexes can get them are the ones I want to at least have the attempt to get. I don't have a chance at this point. Most of us don't have a chance. All we want is a chance to get them on our own and not have to depend on others to get what we should be able to get on our own.

i feel like if golds became a little more common, maybe as common as silvers/spessartines, there wouldn't be so many/some scripters. if something is rare, of course people will get greedy and try to get as much of it as they want.. and that's why they script. i've tried catching cb golds numerous times this week, i saw about 3 or 4, but i'm sure they ALL went to the same catcher since all 4 of them were fogged, i also tracked these eggs when they got to adulthood, they were all unnamed as well. so i guess it's the same scripter..

Edited by Doublelift

Aren't golds and silvers supposed to be equal in rarity? I have caught a few silvers, and they gave me hope for catching golds.

Aren't golds and silvers supposed to be equal in rarity? I have caught a few silvers, and they gave me hope for catching golds.

Maybe at one point, though all we've ever been given to describe either of them is just that they are 'rare' (no actual ratio numbers or anything like that).

At this point now though they're far, far apart.

I've been here since 2010 and have put many hours into cave hunting. I have a decent connection, enough to catch easily during the holidays and new releases, but to my memory I have only seen two CB Golds in the cave (both in the biomes).

I don't want Golds to become easy to catch. Not at all. They should remain very rare, but I would appreciate them if they were made just slightly easier to catch. I'm not talking noticeable difference, I'm talking something that would allow someone to catch 1 CB Gold in 5 years of playing.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

That's utter censorkip.gif. Yes, it is completely and utterly unreasonable. 5 years? 5 years? IDK about you guys, but I don't wanna spend 5 years trying to get ONE Gold. That kind of rarity is censorkip.gif** ridiculous.

I sampled them for a while when the metal glut happened. Back then, there were more CB golds in the fansites than CB silvers. Of course, fansite users might be better at catching golds on average and thus more likely to focus catching on golds, so that's not necessarily an indicator of anything (in fact, I don't think it is an indicator of anything; I just wanted to toss the trivia into the ring).

I don't know if the rarity of the two CB metallics is comparable as far as absolute numbers dropped go, though I would expect them to be about the same-ish, just with less people gunning for the silvers since the gold sprites are considered prettier by lots of people. But I don't actually know; the last CB classic metallic I saw was a CB gold, but I don't hunt regularly, so this tells me nothing. :c

(Also, @AnanoKimi: You probably know this, but since I got confused by your post (I'm easily confused, sorry x_x), I'm going to say it anyway: glamoursea2 has stated she supports this suggestion.)

I'd prefer an option that had 4 eggs in each biome at once rather than 3 instead of boosting abundance rates of rare dragons. It doesn't change the rarity much (presumably), but at the same time getting rare breeds feels more reasonable due to less blocking.

I've spent hours and days camping out for CB metals, I've seen less than 10 and caught none, but that is just how they are. Plenty of people seem to be able to get multiple per week if not one a day, either themselves or through trading, they don't seem that crazy hard to get with effort (and no sleep).

Edited by Ashywolf

i've tried catching cb golds numerous times this week, i saw about 3 or 4, but i'm sure they ALL went to the same catcher since all 4 of them were fogged

Again, I would be suspicious if they were not fogged. Or do you mean that, if you were to catch CB Golds, you would just leave them unprotected so people could track them and view-bomb them?

I'd prefer an option that had 4 eggs in each biome at once rather than 3 instead of boosting abundance rates of rare dragons. It doesn't change the rarity much (presumably), but at the same time getting rare breeds feels more reasonable due to less blocking.

I've spent hours and days camping out for CB metals, I've seen less than 10 and caught none, but that is just how they are. Plenty of people seem to be able to get multiple per week if not one a day, either themselves or through trading, they don't seem that crazy hard to get with effort (and no sleep).

Lol, if you've been hunting, you know the odds are that we'd just have 4 blockers at once - and it would be harder for slower people to have any chance of getting near anything desirable when it appeared.

Personally, I think the 3 eggs showing are perfect. We just need to have the blockers dealt with on a user-responsive basis.

Something like having the Suggestion of biomes sending the untaken eggs to the AP at the 5-minute shuffles should cause a gradual improvement and over time actually begin to address the situation as the ratios began to balance out more and as more variety showed of the increased numbers of unCommons and rares which would then be produced as more of the blockers were raised to count in the ratios rather than being endlessly deleted to be recreated every hourly.

i've tried catching cb golds numerous times this week, i saw about 3 or 4, but i'm sure they ALL went to the same catcher since all 4 of them were fogged

I was PMing with a friend and both of us were wondering.. why do you apparently routinely track eggs that you do not catch which belong to other people?

Something like having the Suggestion of biomes sending the untaken eggs to the AP at the 5-minute shuffles should cause a gradual improvement and over time actually begin to address the situation as the ratios began to balance out more and as more variety showed of the increased numbers of unCommons and rares which would then be produced as more of the blockers were raised to count in the ratios rather than being endlessly deleted to be recreated every hourly.

Makes perfect sense!

Edited by NotBambi

I was PMing with a friend and both of us were wondering.. why do you apparently routinely track eggs that you do not catch which belong to other people?

I think it's a fairly normal thing. If someone else gets to an egg I really wanted, I'll usually see who it was. I mean, I don't viewbomb them or anything, but I'll be happy rather than envious if I know it goes to someone who will take care of it.

I think it's a fairly normal thing. If someone else gets to an egg I really wanted, I'll usually see who it was. I mean, I don't viewbomb them or anything, but I'll be happy rather than envious if I know it goes to someone who will take care of it.

And you will also be surprised if the new owner fogs a rare egg?

And you will also be surprised if the new owner fogs a rare egg?

No, that's completely normal. I don't think that affects anything aside from the egg's guaranteed safety.

No, that's completely normal. I don't think that affects anything aside from the egg's guaranteed safety.

And would you consider normal to track eggs you missed all way to adulthood?

I admit that I never thought of tracking anything so I'm highly curious.

A lot of people fog CB golds and silvers as soon as they catch them. People who miss the egg sometimes go crazy and viewbomb the egg. It's much safer to just immediately fog them and leave them fogged until you're ready to get some views on them (usually 5 or less days).

A lot of people fog CB golds and silvers as soon as they catch them. People who miss the egg sometimes go crazy and viewbomb the egg. It's much safer to just immediately fog them and leave them fogged until you're ready to get some views on them (usually 5 or less days).

Oh yes. I'm a bit paranoid so I don't unfog eggs that I care about until is time to incubate and, as soon as they hatch, I fog them again until they are close to grow up.

I've been here since 2010 and have put many hours into cave hunting. I have a decent connection, enough to catch easily during the holidays and new releases, but to my memory I have only seen two CB Golds in the cave (both in the biomes).

I don't want Golds to become easy to catch. Not at all. They should remain very rare, but I would appreciate them if they were made just slightly easier to catch. I'm not talking noticeable difference, I'm talking something that would allow someone to catch 1 CB Gold in 5 years of playing.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

Back to topic... I read many people stating that they have been for years in DC without catching any metals but I'm also aware that, for several months in 2013, metals were dropping like un-commons. That confuses me and that's one of the reasons I cannot see how making metals less rare would help. Didn't help then, right?

Edited by NotBambi

Back to topic... I read many people stating that they have been for years in DC without catching any metals but I'm also aware that, for several months in 2013, metals were dropping like un-commons.  That confuses me and that's one of the reasons I cannot see how making metals less rare would help. Didn't help then, right?

It definitely helped. People who had never been able to catch CB metallics before reported managing (er, hi! biggrin.gif), and a lot of CB metallics ended up gifted to people without any around that time. Heck, even the rate at which they're dropping now is still helping, relative to how they were dropping before the abrupt glut (which was a behaviour I'd like to describe as 'for all intents and purposes, extinct').

(That being said, from my experience, 'dropping like uncommons' sounds like an exaggeration of what happened - if not by much. I would say they dropped like strong user-behaviour-driven rares, like blusangs were for a while.)

Edited by pinkgothic

It definitely helped. People who had never been able to catch CB metallics before reported managing (er, hi! biggrin.gif), and a lot of CB metallics ended up gifted to people without any around that time. Heck, even the rate at which they're dropping now is still helping, relative to how they were dropping before the abrupt glut (which was a behaviour I'd like to describe as 'for all intents and purposes, extinct').

(That being said, from my experience, 'dropping like uncommons' sounds like an exaggeration of what happened - if not by much. I would say they dropped like strong user-behaviour-driven rares, like blusangs were for a while.)

I understand. I was just saying that, if people were here for several years and didn't catch eggs in 2013, they were not helped by that unusual dropping. I must admit that I do not know the dropping rate of rares and uncommons and was just referencing uncommon as "instead of normal rare" dropping. Anyway, what I was getting at was... if TJ would repeat now whatever happened in 2013, for the same period of time, that would be a solution, no?

Back to topic... I read many people stating that they have been for years in DC without catching any metals but I'm also aware that, for several months in 2013, metals were dropping like un-commons.  That confuses me and that's one of the reasons I cannot see how making metals less rare would help. Didn't help then, right?

I was there in 2013, and caught the second of my two self-caught Golds, April 2, 2013. I was also gifted my two female CB Golds on March 15th, 2013 by one of our generous Cave spirits. I haven't caught a Gold since, and haven't had anything to trade for one. I did benefit early in the rush, but it made everything a little more difficult in the long run.

The biggest change I saw was in trading. Everyone wanted Golds, seemed Gold-obsessed, and it actually became harder to see a Gold past a point. It was harder to trade for something if you didn't have the metals. Maybe it was the rise of the scripters, I don't know, but I felt mostly shut out of the trade market because I couldn't catch them. I still don't trade much.

That's why I don't think changing ratios will help any.

The biggest change I saw was in trading. Everyone wanted Golds, seemed Gold-obsessed, and it actually became harder to see a Gold past a point. It was harder to trade for something if you didn't have the metals. Maybe it was the rise of the scripters, I don't know, but I felt mostly shut out of the trade market because I couldn't catch them. I still don't trade much.

That's why I don't think changing ratios will help any.

That's quite an eye-opener. I can easily imagine that if, all of the sudden, there were quite more metals in the "trading market" people wouldn't want anything else but metals.

You are right, considering your experience, changing ratios probably would not help.

Edit:

I read all the pages of the CB Metals Everywhere! It is not pretty. I read people upset with the catchers, asking them to stop catching, some clearly resentful. All things considered, doesn't seem too different from today's status quo:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=147470

Edited by NotBambi