rendragyn

Make CB Golds **slighty** less rare

Then that would show that TJ is blatantly igonoring his userbase which is trying hard to make sure the game remains fun and appealing for all. People who do not enjoy a game will not have the incentive enough to donate or purchase items associated to the game. As such if the system continues as is, it is likely that many of the experienced older users will dwindle and leave one by one and this site will be populated by uers who plauy for a week or so before leaving until it eventually dies down.

Especially since this site offers no perks for donation or purchase of anything, the appeal will drop once users find it hard to get nice things and boring to get the same thing over and over.

So here's hoping TJ is doing more than just skimming through these threads and actually trying to take the time to read some of it little by little to get an idea of the fact that users want a game with a bit more fareness in ways that benefit everyone and don't severely skew the game for one particular group.

That is debatable. TJ could tell us that we are not expressing the views of the userbase, but just the ones of the "vocal minority" and he could also tell us that even if the "vocal minority" leaves, other users will join as demonstrated by the fact that this is a very successful site and its popularity is increasing. What I was trying to get at (because I tend to think of "worst case scenario" and "contingency planning" due to reasons that do not need to be disclosed here) was: what can we suggest to TJ if he decides to not implement mechanisms to change the ratios? Which alternative solutions are we suggesting?

Then that would show that TJ is blatantly igonoring his userbase which is trying hard to make sure the game remains fun and appealing for all. People who do not enjoy a game will not have the incentive enough to donate or purchase items associated to the game. As such if the system continues as is, it is likely that many of the experienced older users will dwindle and leave one by one and this site will be populated by uers who plauy for a week or so before leaving until it eventually dies down.

Especially since this site offers no perks for donation or purchase of anything, the appeal will drop once users find it hard to get nice things and boring to get the same thing over and over.

So here's hoping TJ is doing more than just skimming through these threads and actually trying to take the time to read some of it little by little to get an idea of the fact that users want a game with a bit more fareness in ways that benefit everyone and don't severely skew the game for one particular group.

I don't think this concept of the userbase applies to me.

Sorry, but despite all the debates, I still don't need this change.

TJ did offer some input into the store suggestion. That isn't any indication that he's considering it, but it's an alternative suggestion he might be more willing to work with if he isn't interested in sending eggs generated by the cave into the AP.

Meh.

What other suggestions could there be. What if he decides to implement none of them regardless of how many back up suggestions there are?

If he doesnt implement this of for that matter any suggestion then oh well. He dun care and we just go on with out merry lives. Whatcha gonna do?

TJ did offer some input into the store suggestion. That isn't any indication that he's considering it, but it's an alternative suggestion he might be more willing to work with if he isn't interested in sending eggs generated by the cave into the AP.

Yes, he did, so maybe, just maybe, we should spend more time on exploring that alternative. What do we have to lose?

Meh.

What other suggestions could there be. What if he decides to implement none of them regardless of how many back up suggestions there are?

If he doesnt implement this of for that matter any suggestion then oh well. He dun care and we just go on with out merry lives. Whatcha gonna do?

Carry on playing. Won't you ? Your choice, of course. But this is an immensely popular site and I really don't think it will die off even if nothing changes.

If TJ dun care he wouldn't bother fixing thing that actually fall over, or setting up events or releasing new dragons.

This discussion isn't about TJ's past, present, or possible future actions. Just because TJ does not post doesn't mean he isn't listening or potentially working on things behind the scenes. Any further posts on that subject will be deleted. Please stay on the topic of changing the rarity of cb golds. Thanks. ^^

Some users really don't like that alternative. Many have stated a lot of dislike and even have stated they'd leave. Some sprite creators also seem a bit reluctant about it though not entirely against it. It seems to have a lot more push and shove as opposed to this idea. This idea seems more straight forward and something everyone seems to like and agree on.

The store idea seems to be having a lot of debate on what should be added, what shouldnt, how it should be added, how often, how pricey, how available, etc, etc, and its causing a ton of confusion. (at least on my part).

In terms of obtaining in cave available rares, this seems like the better alternative because we have all managed to agree on a method to fix an issue that has long been plaguing the cave. I don't know. In terms of holidays and Prizes I can see something like the store being a nice addition, but that still has far more kinks to work out than this or even the 5 minute ap dump idea.

Carry on playing. Won't you ? Your choice, of course. But this is an immensely popular site and I really don't think it will die off even if nothing changes.

If TJ dun care he wouldn't bother fixing thing that actually fall over, or setting up events or releasing new dragons.

Thats kinda what I meant xd.png

Edited by AnanoKimi

The topic is "Make CB Golds ** slightly** less rare". So I thought that any suggestion to achieve that goal was welcome. Not just "dump in the AC", not only anything else. I thought that anything from "add more rares" to "get rares in the store" was acceptable as suggestion to achieve the goal, without any prejudice.

And I simply stated my opinion on the matter. Also if the suggestion is to be discussed then it should be refined seeing as it still has a few kinks and disagreements. Didnt mean to seem prejudice by stating that this plan of suggestion has reached a bigger and quicker consensus than the store idea.

Carry on playing. Won't you ?

Or seek greener pastures. My DC account is already on maintenance mode where the only real activity is the occasional log-in to keep the names active.

The topic is "Make CB Golds ** slightly** less rare". So I thought that any suggestion to achieve that goal was welcome. Not just "dump in the AC", not only anything else. I thought that anything from "add more rares" to "get rares in the store"  was acceptable as suggestion to achieve the goal, without any prejudice.

Because tinkering with rarity while leaving the ratios system blatantly broken is bound to fail. Either there won't be results, or unwanted side effects would surface.

Because tinkering with rarity while leaving the ratios system blatantly broken is bound to fail. Either there won't be results, or unwanted side effects would surface.

This, very much so.

I remember TJ's fiddling with the ratios for new releases. The first result was Midwinter Madness, where there was almost nothing but the new releases in the cave for weeks on end - not even commons. Okay, so commons did turn up, about as often as you'd usually find rares. I wasn't too happy about it, and kept to my breeding projects.

The next result of said fiddling was Mod Mayhem, where the new releases turned rare almost instantly. (The breeds released were nebulas, hellfires, sunsongs and BBWs...) It was awful.

I also remember the 2.5-year-period (around that time) after the metal glitch, where metals were almost non-existent in the cave and very hard to breed on top of that. I totally hated it. And we were always told to wait, that rarities cycled all the time, that, eventually, rares would become more common again. Well, they did - but 2.5 years is a very long time to wait for changes in an online game.

And I simply stated my opinion on the matter. Also if the suggestion is to be discussed then it should be refined seeing as it still has a few kinks and disagreements. Didnt mean to seem prejudice by stating that this plan of suggestion has reached a bigger and quicker consensus than the store idea.

Has it ? Quite a few people seem more interested in adjusting how eggs are dropped rather than changing their rarity or messing with the ratios. ONLY TJ (sorry sock, but this mention of his name IS on topic !) knows how the ratios actually work. NONE of us actually knows what any kind of change might do.

We know there are a lot of golds out there. We know this because scripters ARE catching plenty and using them to trade. When one scroll - a couple of weeks ago - had 5 eggs that had been caught in different biomes within minutes of each other, we know this (and before anyone says it - that scroll has now been burned). But that just shows they ARE dropping, Making them less rare could just make it even easier for scripters to offer you 6 golds in trade.

It isn't rarity; it is the ratios and the ways the eggs drop that need looking at - and none of us knows what to suggest to fix that; we can only ask if there is a way to achieve a change that won't break the game

Actually everyone has reached the consensus that it is indeed the ratios that are making drops much harder to happen. Thats why everyone has suggested that either TJ manually start tinkering with ratios to help even something out and lessen maybe the amount of cave blockers or for some form of suggestion like the AP 5 minute kick to be implemented to help even out the rations on its own.

So yes honestly this suggestion has reached a more unanimous consensus about the issue at hand, what could be the cause, and how it can be fixed along with other additions that can help improve game play once the issue is adressed. I personally feel the store has a good base idea but the amount of disagreement centered around what breeds should be on it, how exactly to execute the idea, and so on have the idea rattling aroud too much to fully reach a full consensus on what is needed.

Again in terms of already dropping in cave rares, I feel this topic has brought on a better discussion, a quicker consensus on the solution, and much more constructive view on the issue at hand. The store idea does not fix any of the issues that were discussed here, its simply an add on (again, in my opinion. I'm going to eventually hate saying this because constant disclaimers piss me off).

As fuzzbucket said so eloquently, it's obvious that golds and other rares must drop in some quantity, but that for some reasons (probably involving foul play), only a very select few people manage to get them, and all of them. That certainly is one problem. If you catch 100 people who cheat, that's up to 350 (700 every other day, to make up a number for hatching them yourself on a gold-trophy scroll with incubate) gold eggs per day you make available to the rest of the player base.

I'm sure TJ is working on the issue behind the scenes, but unfortunately, this kind of war is more like a race: For a while, TJ will be ahead after implementing another thing to catch them, then he'll fall behind as one of the many people with the necessary skill manage to work around this temporary solution. However, this is where we come in. We can keep our eyes open for scrolls with suspicious constellations of eggs/hatchlings, and report them. Fuzzbucket (kinda) caught one cheater, which is one less person cheating the rest of us out of rares.

And, as much as I'd like to see golds more often (meaning: see them at all!), I don't know how the ratios work, but I know from my playing experience that changes to them can have strange and unfortunate side effects. TJ and only TJ can decide what kind of change he's willing to make, and how to make it regarding the ratios themselves. Yes, I think the system as is is broken, and I've voiced that opinion a number of times.

Of course, as some kind of helping measures, there are the suggestion to punt eggs to the AP during the 5-minute shuffles (helping the ratios due to availability of incu-hatchable eggs of underpopulated breeds), increasing the number of shuffles (and, ideally, punting, too) and an in-game shop where those honest but unlucky souls like me can at least get a very few rares for their own scrolls without having to compete. Neither of these solutions is ideal, but they all seem able to help improve the playing experience for a great many people (save cheaters - but who wants them around anyway?)

Edited by olympe

I thought was clear from my previous posts that, personally, I would like rarity to stay as it is because I like the challenge, have time and a good connection. That doesn't mean that I can't sympathize with other points of view.

I also thought that rarity was the symptom and the ratios the cause. What am I missing?

Actually everyone has reached the consensus that it is indeed the ratios that are making drops much harder to happen.

No they haven't. I haven't, to name but one.

I think it is the way things drop that is the big problem. I mentioned ratios only because I think that is far more significant than rarity.

As olympe says:

I know from my playing experience that changes to them can have strange and unfortunate side effects. TJ and only TJ can decide what kind of change he's willing to make, and how to make it regarding the ratios themselves.

edited for spellchecker insanity.

Edited by fuzzbucket

What do you mean byt the way they drop? their frequency?

What do you mean byt the way they drop? their frequency?

I'm not referring specifically to golds here.

I mean the way eggs in general fall at the drops and then sit, so that we can't see what's behind them. The shuffle helped in one way and seemed not to in another; the boot to the AP idea might help. But it's the way that once an egg is sitting there, we have to keep looking at it until some publicly spirited person picks it up.

I think the ONLY thing that will help specifically with golds would be the shop. It is the only place that cheats cannot subvert things.

It isn't ratios, it isn't rarity. Connection, timing and motor skills. Scripters aside, that's what catching the rares is all about.

When the five minute shuffles first started happening, I was one of the first people to notice them. I caught one of my Silvers and my first Green copper in the first 24 hours, (Dec. 5th and 6th, 2013) and one other Silver a few days later because people hadn't caught on to the drops yet. That was timing that turned out very lucky for me, but once others caught on, I rarely have any chance to glimpse, let alone catch the shinies.

The dragons are there. Shuffling ratios and rarity will only put more in the hands of those who have the connection/skils/timing. Some of those catchers do gift, but they are rare and precious people. <3

Oh no one is refuting that. The shop is a great idea and again I am not saying it shouldn't be a thing. Again though, I think this was more about the drops in cave. In cave there are other suggestions. The shop is an add on and I do feel it can help and which is why I would like to see it limited to rares and prizes as well as maybe holidays. Anything other than that doesn't really help much. Commons are always there and available to pick up.

The store can help those who cannot hunt for any one of the many reason. I even brought up the store many times in prior arguments about once ratios are evened out in cave for those of us who like to hunt, that the store could be hopefully in place by then to help users obtain golds or other rares. Even if new rares are added they can be added in to the store for users to buy and with the focus momentarily shifted maybe users can save up points/currency for one of the new rares now in the store and have a chance at catching a prior rare and get that "I caught it" thrill.

So yes the store is a valuable idea but does need to be ironed out. For this particular discussion I felt it was more focused around in cave ideas to help those who hunt seeing as the store is a suggestion catering to those who cant. Each suggestion caters to certain groups as best as it can. This one I feel is more geared towards the ones who try and hunt the caves, the ones who want to have some fun actually trying to hunt the caves instead of using the store. The store is a separate suggestion because its catered towards those who don't want to hunt or cant for whatever reason so they can still have access to the eggs they want without the competition.

I would like both of these suggestions to coexist because I actually like hunting in the game. I would hate to have ratios, biome movement, and over all a hunting in the cave game style to be completely ignored over a store for the part of the user base who either can't hunt or wont due to the competition. I would also hate to see cave issue being taken care of while users who don't or can't hunt become ignored.

Edited by AnanoKimi

This is a collecting game, not a trading game. The dragon itself doesn't have an objective set value, especially if the person who catches it doesn't plan on trading it.

Edited by Tehya Faye

This is a collecting game, not a trading game. The dragon itself doesn't have an objective set value, especially if the person who catches it doesn't plan on trading it.

yes but they are rare and make them less rare and they aren't as special anymore

yes but they are rare and make them less rare and they aren't as special anymore

Except they were never supposed to be this rare. I'm going to guess you weren't around to see them before the explosion of the trade market.

There's a difference between rare and impossible.