rendragyn

Make CB Golds **slighty** less rare

It WOULD indeed be nice to have more biome movement immediately, but we don't want to run out of biome eggs either, (assuming untaken eggs to be sent to the AP with every shuffle, Edit: removed something I was unable to find a quote on) with too many shuffles also allowing the more desirable dragons to be picked and run out even faster... although that Time-based egg slot would give people a little more room for AP Incuhatchables, should this occur and an increase in Commons hit the AP... I guess this would depend on how it was handled?

Personally, I used to think that an old Cave 'Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans'-type biome would be great, but since it would essentially consist of all Commons from all 6 biomes, while cutting back on the hunters in each biome, reducing movement further, I actually changed my mind on that one quite a while back.

I would support something along the lines of adding a number of the 'trade fodder rares' - outside of the usual ratios - even if only approximate to those potentially taken by cheaters, as replacements for the general population, at least until some of these other issues had been addressed to a point where the alleviation was significant enough that the most desirable CB dragons were no longer essentially accessible only to a relatively small group able to afford fast systems or to trade something like a 2nd gen Prize.

Hi, Kukuru, smile.gif the only dragons properly classed as rare are the metallics, but a number of the most beautiful UnCommons have been not only in high demand generally for their beauty and personal uses/scroll goals but also taken by the fastest (and cheaters) in far higher numbers than they'd normally take for themselves because the initial CB Prize scarcity drove up trade offers to unprecedented heights so that huge offers (if less ginormous than previously, following the increased Prize distribution last year) for 2nd-gen offspring are still made by many, and anything potentially appealing to a Prize owner will be made rare by this 'trade fodder' issue and therefore considered even more valuable as 'trade fodder', in a vicious cycle, making cheating even more worth-while for some.

So the actual Drop ratios of various dragons which have become rare/virtually non-existent for perhaps most members may be relatively high, but the great bulk of these have become concentrated among a small group of fast catchers and CB Prize owners while most of the players may rarely if ever even see them in the Cave.

This is why it's not necessarily the actual Drop ratios determining rarity for a large portion of the membership with slower refreshes. smile.gif

Edited by Syphoneira

Rather than making them slightly less rare -- yet coincide with "ratios" -- how about releasing a fixed amount of CB Rares/Uncommons/Commons based on player activity by month? During a whole week (or day) of cave drops it takes the number of player activity (even if you logged in for a second and left) and divides it by a whole number and rounding it up to the nearest whole number. For instance a Gold could be dropped 1 time for each 25 active monthly members per week, while common breeds could be dropped about 1 time for each 5 active monthly members per week.

10,000 monthly users/25 = 400 CB Golds dropped in one month. Each day there'd be around 11-12 CB Golds a day meaning about each 2 hours they'd appear in a biome somewhere. Since we have 12 months and just using 10k for a example that's 4800 CB Golds distributed in a year.

Has there been a suggestion for this by chance? Those numbers are just examples and aren't perfected in any way (let alone the suggestion!), btw before someone replies. ;w;

EDIT: Nvm first one, I had to change a lot of 2nd section xd.png

Edited by Saynna

What would be funny is if 400 a month is less than what is actually dropped on average per month. I get what you're saying, though. xd.png It's an interesting idea!

Edited by Tehya Faye

What would be funny is if 400 a month is less than what is actually dropped on average per month.

I thought that too... xd.png

What would be funny is if 400 a month is less than what is actually dropped on average per month. I get what you're saying, though. xd.png It's an interesting idea!

Actually, I think that you hit the nail there. Few weeks ago, I offered on a trade and the trader chose a different offer. I'm trying to learn what are the expectations and, nosily, checked the scroll of the trader. There were CB Golds, all caught in the Alpine, and, from their time left, I had calculated that, at least on the Alpine, 8 Golds could easily be dropping every day. I'm aware the the Alpine is the busiest biome but Volcano and Desert move quite a lot. From that and subsequent observations, including relative to Silvers being traded, I'm guessing that the daily number of Golds is around 20+ per day, in total.

That's what I was thinking, yeah. If some people can load up on 7 CB Golds in the course of a day there has to be a decent number of them out there. It's just not enough to trickle down to the average user.

Well the number can be changed of course and it was just an example. That's a little strange though I had thought golds were in a drought. It's just that the number wise it doesn't matter on how many breeds are in cave, but rather on player activity. It doesn't necessarily rule out droughts of golds, but in my opinion I think it is a much more stable and reliable supply of golds hitting in cave.

ETA: To make it even more clear you can set it to 10,000 players/1 meaning 10,000 golds in one month. Just needs to work out the kinks and overall other stuff related to it like other breeds being factored, cave blockers, and the shuffling system, etc. o3o

Edited by Saynna

Well the number can be changed of course and it was just an example. That's a little strange though I had thought golds were in a drought. It's just that the number wise it doesn't matter on how many breeds are in cave, but rather on player activity. It doesn't necessarily rule out droughts of golds, but in my opinion I think it is a much more stable and reliable supply of golds hitting in cave.

Understood, your approach makes sense.

Rather than making them slightly less rare -- yet coincide with "ratios" -- how about releasing a fixed amount of CB Rares/Uncommons/Commons based on player activity by month?

It's not quite the same thing you're proposing, but TJ has posted before saying the amount of eggs generated in the biomes depends on the amount of people on the site at the time. (Unsure whether 'on the site' means 'in the biomes' or just on the site in general, though. I guess latter.)

That goes for all eggs, though, of course; not just for rares.

I saw two golds passing by today, one in the alpine and the other in forest. I wasn't fast enough to grab them but there they are.

I think the ratio/drop is good, it's a matter of luck and good timing.

Rares tend to turn up more frequently following releases due to the increased activity. More people online means more eggs generated by the biomes, which can allow rares to generate when they wouldn't have at normal activity levels. They'll also be more likely to show up because more people are clearing away the blockers.

Rares tend to turn up more frequently following releases due to the increased activity. More people online means more eggs generated by the biomes, which can allow rares to generate when they wouldn't have at normal activity levels. They'll also be more likely to show up because more people are clearing away the blockers.

There are also more chances to catch CB Golds when everybody is focusing and chanting "Mana courses throughout this glassy egg" biggrin.gif

While reading other topics, I kept finding interesting snippets. For example:

Seems that Golds are more common than Xenos, I've seen three in the Coast in the past half-hour

There were other posts about people catching CB Golds or how the release was helping them to catch metals.

I'm under the impression that the situation improved lately, am I the only one?

While reading other topics, I kept finding interesting snippets. For example:

There were other posts about people catching CB Golds or how the release was helping them to catch metals.

I'm under the impression that the situation improved lately, am I the only one?

It's always like that during a release - which is how we do actually know that they ARE dropping, it's just that fast people and cheats are catching them as a rule. Even the bad people tend to go for new stuff during a release, and ask silly prices for them.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Even the bad people tend to go for new stuff during a release, and ask silly prices for them.

Yes, pretty silly prices. If I may... it is also quite silly to accept that kind of trades. People tend to panic and I can understand that because of past experiences with Coppers, Almandines and Spessartines. But the latest releases have been common to the point of being almost cave blockers smile.gif

Yes, pretty silly prices. If I may... it is also quite silly to accept that kind of trades. People tend to panic and I can understand that because of past experiences with Coppers, Almandines and Spessartines. But the latest releases have been common to the point of being almost cave blockers smile.gif

I agree with you. But as long as people DO accept them, people will ask those amounts mad.gif

I agree with you. But as long as people DO accept them, people will ask those amounts mad.gif

It is silly. Actually I traded a couple of my new hatchies yesterday...

Partly because I was annoyed with the fact that I hadn't been able to influence the one and PARTLY because of my inability to catch any more.

That said, I sure wouldn't pay what some people might want to ask for these. ESPECIALLY since it is entirely possible that down the road they will be more common.The lesson here? Impatience can be expensive. I am truly hoping the new dragons are less rare than they appear now.... or I will NEVER get my full set of them. sad.gif

On topic, though... I'd also been keeping my eye open, JUST in case any CB metals appeared. I haven't seen any BUT I know others have said that they have caught some to to the crazy demand for the new eggs. I was hoping that I might ACTUALLY be able to catch one myself with that edge to it. ( I've NEVER been good at chatching metals).... but nope, no luck. At least not yet. Folks are still going crazy for Xenowyrms as far as I can tell ( AND rightly so, they are lovely).

Edited by Silverswift

It's always like that during a release - which is how we do actually know that they ARE dropping, it's just that fast people and cheats are catching them as a rule. Even the bad people tend to go for new stuff during a release, and ask silly prices for them.

Actually, I read it somewhat differently.

During a release, the Biomes *move*, and more people are actually hunting. So I think that the reason Golds are more in evidence is that normally, the Biomes don't move.

Add generalized, random movement (like the AP Shuffle) and you'll make it "like a release", and more people will hunt / get Golds.

Cheers!

C4.

Yup, and with the ratios ideally more balanced so that we no longer have actual blockers, hopefully continual variety, especially if with a continued supply of new dragons being Released.

Hunting could be FUN again, not boring!

Yup, and with the ratios ideally more balanced so that we no longer have actual blockers, hopefully continual variety, especially if with a continued supply of new dragons being Released.

Hunting could be FUN again, not boring!

I have no idea of how the ratios really work other than from the Help/Ecology page:

If you’re trying to find an egg from an overpopulated breed, your search will be more difficult than when trying to find eggs of a less plentiful breed.

Doesn't this mean that we users are supposed to catch and breed species that we do not like to have a chance at capturing what we do not like, including those elusive metals?

Edited by SullenCat

IMHO, the ratios system is not working and should disappear. A pure rarity system could take care of the issue that this thread tries to mitigate. If we ever get to agree on how to define rarity to achieve the goal.

Edited by SullenCat

IMHO, the ratios system is not working and should disappear. A pure rarity system could take care of the issue that this thread tries to mitigate. If we ever get to agree on how to define rarity to achieve the goal.

This. I've never liked the ratios system. It's not very efficient and causes more issues than solutions. If we set in a preliminary pure rarity system, we could debate how well that works and what needs to be changed. If the pure rarity system doesn't work out in whatever way, we could always go back to ratios. I just think it's worth a try.

Even if we used a set rarity, the lack of biome movement would still mean that rares would be hidden behind commons more than half of the time. If for every one rare 15 commons had to be made, then those 15 commons would have to be moved some how so that the rare mixed in there would come up to the visible 3 eggs in each biome.

The reason releases work to bring up those hidden rares is that people are taking eggs and causing the biomes to move in hopes of finding the new release. Taking any new release eggs from the biomes also causes movement meaning if there was a rare hiden right behind that it would pop up.

Crating biome movement and common desirability will help fix the issues we are having with things like golds and pyralspites.