TJ09

2015-04-26 - April Release

There was a temporary issue where the cave wasn't actually reacting to the population of the new dragon, but it's been fixed now.

Thanks so much, TJ - we thought/hoped it seemed like a glitch! smile.gif

Nice to see people enjoying the Release again!

More generally:

Personally, while some dragons may be rarer than others, I see no point in DC having dragons so rare as to be virtually unobtainable by members putting in reasonable time and effort.

It's a family site being an overall slow and long-term game with a high percentage of its base typically being slower catchers and breeders lured in by 'saving baby dragons' and not designed to appeal to or satisfy uber-competitive people.

So the appearance of more extreme scarcity situations which, among other issues, help to spoil breeding and other goals and frustrate much of DC's slower-catching base has likely factored heavily into the loss of interest resulting in so many long-term as well as newer players going on lengthy hiatus.

Challenge could be provided by regularly Releasing new dragons for steady collection and NOT allowing the biomes to remain loaded to the point of frequent immobility with unwanted Blockers making hunting boring, (perhaps relieved by utilizing player-responsive balancing such as that Suggestion where untaken Biome eggs 'slide off' into the bottom of the AP to be raised and so contribute to ratios, thereby ultimately reducing Cave Blockers) - then we'd have a game where people had a steady supply of normal goals to achieve so as to move on to the next ones, rather than some apparently regarding personal goals as a general *inability* to obtain dragons necessary for basic game-play in breeding and scroll goals so that many cannot progress even to a beginning on various of their goals.

NOT being able to achieve goals isn't practical goal-setting either in reality or DC for most - whereas having new goals open up as others are achieved provides recreation for all. smile.gif

Woo! I finally managed to get one! They seem to drop much more commonly in the Desert from what I have observed. And they also seem to be dropping much more, at least in the Desert, this evening than they were earlier, so that's nice too. I still feel they got a bit too scarce too quickly but I'm glad that is becoming less true now. They're still going insanely fast, but at least now they're clearly dropping at a more normal early-release rate. I don't know if that was a deliberate fix or just coincidence, but I'm grateful for it either way!

EDIT: So it WAS a bug! Thanks very much for fixing it, TJ! smile.gif

Edited by Lurhstaap

And they also seem to be dropping much more, at least in the Desert, this evening than they were earlier, so that's nice too. I still feel they got a bit too scarce too quickly but I'm glad that is becoming less true now. They're still going insanely fast, but at least now they're clearly dropping at a more normal early-release rate. I don't know if that was a deliberate fix or just coincidence, but I'm grateful for it either way!

From earlier:

There was a temporary issue where the cave wasn't actually reacting to the population of the new dragon, but it's been fixed now.

It is indeed a fix. =3

I just picked up my 6th and 7th. smile.gif I now have two from each biome with an extra from the Jungle. I will just need one more to meet my scroll goals (TJ where is that extra time-based egg slot that you teased us with?) when some of these hatch.

Thank you to Imbecamiel for these new dragons. I am anxious to see the adults, but the hatchies look very promising.

From earlier:

It is indeed a fix. =3

Hence my edit! biggrin.gif Very glad to see it. ^^

I am so happy this was a glitch - thanks for fixing it TJ! smile.gif

*happly pets new egges from the cave* biggrin.gif

So glad that it was fixed so everyone can enjoy the release together. It's so much harder to enjoy a release when there's so many people who are upset. Now we can all just be excited about what these are going to look like! ^-^

Seeing the adults will be awesome~ I have a lineage idea in mind, but it's hard to tell so early whether it'll actually look nice.

A bit late to the party, but I got mine. The eggs are really pretty, and the hatchlings look absolutely adorable.

Well, the desert biome dropped 3 of the new eggs and they *gasp* managed to last more than 3 seconds on the page! xd.png

Hmm, 3 different coloured speckles on the eggs, 1 for each biome maybe?

It doesn't look like it. We have dimorphism in the hatchlings, and are likely to have dimorphism in the adults too. If there were more color varieties TJ would have more eggs to account for both the dimorphism and the color alts.

[...]

Challenge could be provided by regularly Releasing new dragons for steady collection and NOT allowing the biomes to remain loaded to the point of frequent immobility with unwanted Blockers making hunting boring, (perhaps relieved by utilizing player-responsive balancing such as that Suggestion where untaken Biome eggs 'slide off' into the bottom of the AP to be raised and so contribute to ratios, thereby ultimately reducing Cave Blockers) - [...]

I think the biome issue was fixed quite well some time ago. As far as I remember, before that a biome would only move on top of every hour or when someone actually took away an egg. Now the biomes do a small refresh every five minutes, and those refreshes do include uncommons up to rares.

Personally, I like it that way, because a constant refresh with every F5 or whatever would be boring in its own way.

@topic:

I just realized I'll still have to wait two full days to see the adults. (Because they'll grow up in the middle of the night in my timezone, so I'll only see them on Thursday morning.) Time is relative indeed - at the moment it flows particularly slow. wink.gif

About the name: Apprentice would be interesting (apprentice to whom or of what ?), and I liked "Asparagus" for the fun of it (don't expect that to be a serious possibility, though). Maybe it's an "Ara" of some kind ? Like the parrots ?

Personally, while some dragons may be rarer than others, I see no point in DC having dragons so rare as to be virtually unobtainable by members putting in reasonable time and effort.

*mumbles about Prizes*

One day I'll get my own CB Gold, been playing off and on for years and finally traded for my first CB Silver a couple of weeks ago, and then a week later caught the other ^^

On topic though, I really can't wait to see the adults - the hatchlings look so pretty :3

Awesome that this turned out to be a glitch, now everyone has a better chance to grab these new pretties again, have fun and enjoy the release. Thank you TJ for fixing the glitch!

I think the biome issue was fixed quite well some time ago. As far as I remember, before that a biome would only move on top of every hour or when someone actually took away an egg. Now the biomes do a small refresh every five minutes, and those refreshes do include uncommons up to rares.

Personally, I like it that way, because a constant refresh with every F5 or whatever would be boring in its own way.

@topic:

I just realized I'll still have to wait two full days to see the adults. (Because they'll grow up in the middle of the night in my timezone, so I'll only see them on Thursday morning.) Time is relative indeed - at the moment it flows particularly slow. wink.gif

About the name: Apprentice would be interesting (apprentice to whom or of what ?), and I liked "Asparagus" for the fun of it (don't expect that to be a serious possibility, though). Maybe it's an "Ara" of some kind ? Like the parrots ?

Well, to each his own, but probably most of us, going by commentary and the number of people not hunting much in the Cave as a result, find refreshing over the same eggs boring, (especially when so often replaced by more of the same, or similar, so that it's more like staring intently at wall-paper through half-closed lids,) and find refreshing over egg movement not boring - especially if it changes a lot - since you never know what might turn up, are in less danger of sleeping through anything interesting that does, and even if you frequently miss, at least you've seen some sprites you could use and know that there may be more of something useful along at any moment.

Not that you'd have a change with every refresh, probably every 5 minutes still per untaken egg, the difference being that the times would vary and the same shuffled egg-types would not endlessly continue to be regenerated and brought out again the next hour every hour at the same unchanging rates because nobody wants to take them as full-time eggs, even though they very well might snap them up as Incuhatchables not taking up egg spaces.

That suggestion would actually, if gradually, address the ratios we've been begging for user-responsive balancing of over the past ?5 or 6 years? and gradually help to reduce excessive blockers as they'd then be taken from the AP as lower-time Commons and willingly raised once Incuhatchable, so that the biomes would ultimately move and more variety would again appear in the Cave.

If you've never seen variety and movement in the Cave, you don't know what you're missing, lol.

We used to love it, and hunting was fun, (except back when we used to run out of eggs - and now we have many dragon types as well, not just a few) not something monotonous to be dreaded, even if the shuffle does help.

And all dragon types would become more accessible, rather than the less common being blocked somewhere back in the line-up by masses of various blockers, with various sprites so very rarely appearing in slow-moving biomes.

Man, 5D 18H still to see adults...

I did get my eggs hours later than a lot of people - do these eggs seem to be cracking slowly (mine don't have a dent yet) or am I just impatient for progress on these pretties?

Of course, I also have cruddy U Views, despite the Release.

Well, to each his own, but probably most of us, going by commentary and the number of people not hunting much in the Cave as a result, find refreshing over the same eggs boring

*Raises hand*

Yep. I've started to come back for the 5 minute drops, refresh once or twice to see which eggs drop, and then move on to different things. I really have on desire to sit and stare at the cave while nothing happens.

/sidenote

YAY!FINALLY caught me a pair.Given it's 4:34 ack emma where I am (North Bay,Ontario) I honestly didn't expect to be able to but now that I have here's to having a breeding pair if they don't refuse each other.biggrin.gif

If someone guesses correctly... or just if someone states that they know the name because [they remember/have inside information/otherwise have factual data]? *g*

Also - Thank you, TJ, for the fix to the glitch! biggrin.gif Good to have them dropping as they're supposed to again.

Is that what happens ? Cuz I do know the name, as I caught my ONE self caught egg (someone has since given me some bless her, you know who you are... wub.gif) while the encyclopaedia glitch was still up there, and my egg showed the breed name...

I wasn't going to post it, nor shall I - but is that what would happen if I did ? I know nothing of it from old threads, but the name rather excites me, actually !

Thanks for fixing the glitch, TJ. Now I have to WAIT to SEE the dear things...

Are we sure that everything is working as it should do?

I'm sitting in the cave since two hours but haven't seen a single new egg.

I've seen passing eggs of all sorts, even rares and groups of Gemshards/Colossi/Rivers like it still was their release, but not the April eggs. Their behaviour is more like the Gold/Silver's one than a freshly released egg, as they're in cave since less than 24h and they even aren't Metallics.

I'll pass on changing the release day without advice (I checked this Saturday if there was a new release, so on Sunday while I had to be out all the day I was sure I wouldn't miss a thing) and right for an apparently extremely rare egg, but I was here for the Coppers release and in the following 24h and more they weren't so impossible to spot.

Now I'll retire, I wasted two hours of my life (while I had other stuff to do) without a result and haven't more available to waste. I'll try to trade them, but since I still have to complete the Coppers after all this time I haven't hope in getting them so, unless I could sell my soul.

Hehe, I knew it tongue.gif

It was a too innatural behaviour for a release! Right now I've seen a whole pack of them passing by the Cave and grabbed a pair of them happy.gif

Thanks TJ for fixing it :3

If you could revert the release day back to Saturday it would be awesome too biggrin.gif

Thank you so much for fixing that! I confess that I was getting very, very frustrated about not even seeing a single egg in all the hours that I spent haunting the biomes.

While I acknowledge that some eggs will always be difficult to catch, I did feel a bit cheated that as a European player I hadn't even had a sliver of a chance to get my hands on a few of these.

However, computer glitches can happen, and I am very glad to see that this one got fixed.

Now I have my initial set of new eggs and am very, very happy.

Thank you so much for all your work!