LadyNightshade

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

OH! I wonder if it's like the dress-up thing from the Musicals in 5th gen that no one ever did because they were the seriously lame substitute for contests? Maybe they're more like trainer customization, though. :c

At least Brawly still looks sexy. :Y I really like Brawly.

Honestly I personally don't mind if it's only Pikachu. But if it extends to other Pokemon, I would be SUPER happy! I really like the scientist and punk Pikachus, though. They're adorable! Maybe it will be a system akin to Furfrou, only it doesn't wear off?

I'm just happy to know that they're keeping Poke-amie!

Brawly looks so much better. Like, wayyyyyy better. Fits his gym type better.

Well I was always amused by the surfer fighting-type leader and the wrestler water-type leader thing he and Wake had going on.

Shrug I've never played the old gen 3 games.

AAah yay I'm so glad Amie is returning ;v; I loved that so much and I'm very excited to utilize it with the Latis... ... and I wonder, maybe they'll introduce a way in Amie to buff up your contest stats, maybe that's where you give them pokeblocks? Or Pokepuffs will be modified to give contest stat increases?

AND THOSE PIKACHUS I mean okay I like Raichu more, but those Pikas are so cute. (Especially the scientist one. I don't care how I have to do it, I am getting one and naming him Dr. Insano. He shall crush all opponents... WITH SCIENCE!)

Brawly! Why are you the only person to improve? I mean, I guess Steven is okay, but the only real difference between him and the original are... crown sleeves and a lapel pin? Other than that, I've only been really impressed by him. I've always liked Brawly. He was literally the third gym leader I ever beat, as I was simultaneously playing FR and Emerald at the age of not smart and getting stuck was not uncommon. Oddly enough he was fairly easy for me though, so I guess that's why I like him.

And holy potato Tough Claws Metagross. Regular Metagross would wreck with TC. Good thing I'm choosing Swampert so I can mega Earthquake him. Unless of course he gets Levitate, in which case drop your pants and run. A lot of people are scared of TC, but we are talking a BST 700 Pokemon whose one major weakness is covered by an already OP ability. You're going to need one tough Fire type Uber to stand up to that. (Primal Groudon anyone?)

From Serebii:

Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire - Details

The Pokémon Company International has sent out a release detailing more about the news that has come this past week. In this release, it shows footage of Mega Metagross confirmed to have Tough Claws, as well as the reveal of the Pikachu appearences: Pikachu Belle, Pikachu Rock Star, Pikachu Pop Star, Pikachu Ph. D, Pikachu Libre.

Edit @ 15:08: Pictures are gradually being added to our Pre-relase screenshot page

Edit @ 15:15: More details on Mega Evolutions. Mega Diancie receives a big boost to its Speed, as well as boosts to its Attack and Sp. Atk, while experiencing a reduction in its Defense and Sp. Def. Mega Metagross also has a greatly increased Speed stat, with additional increases in its Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, and Sp. Def, making Mega Metagross primed for both offense and defense.

Edit @ 15:30: Following amiguity with the Canadian release date last month, where it was listed solely as November, we now have confirmation that the games will arrive in Canada on November 21st

My hype for this just keeps increasing!

Fast Metagross ._. Oh that's going to be... fun... to fight.

i cant wait im so excited i have evey thing ready wait............... didy you say november? nnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :sprasy throut healer: deep breathe ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... yeah excited xd.png

Great... and even faster, even even more powerful Metagross I have to beat down....

that or elctric. i would porbably use reshiram or zekrom on him

Neither Steel nor Psychic are weak to Electric :\ And gen 5 legends might not be available for use after you beat the game so you're gonna have to face Steven's alone bud

At least there's also Ghost and Dark since they nerfed Steel this gen. Imagine Mega Sableyeing it

Neither Steel nor Psychic are weak to Electric :\ And gen 5 legends might not be available for use after you beat the game so you're gonna have to face Steven's alone bud

At least there's also Ghost and Dark since they nerfed Steel this gen. Imagine Mega Sableyeing it

No, you could probably use them by obtaining them through your own Pokebank, if you already have those Pokemon. c: These games are compatible with Pokebank, after all. I doubt they would make it so players couldn't use Pokebank until they beat the main story, as that would kind of defeat the point of having Pokebank.

Oh right I suppose that works, I was thinking of these as a region up from XY for some reason. :P They usually don't let you transfer from previous gens until you beat the game, right?

(Oh god how am I going to do this and NaNoWriMo at the same time)

Some people are worried about Mega Metagross, so this is my list of counters:

Mega Charizard Y with Drought + any special fire move will probably send Mega Meta running and screaming off the field. Mega Houndoom could use Solar Power to its advantage with a Sun+Solar Power boosted fire attack, and even another boost if it managed to get a Flash Fire boost before going Mega. Mega Banette shreds Meta apart with Shadow Claw and Sucker Punch. Mega Absol can hit Meta with a solid variety of moves, from STAB Night Slash or Dark Pulse to Shadow Claw or Flamethrower, Perish Song for when things get dicey, or even the more gimmicky Me First (though Meta resists its own STABs, so it might not go over very well). Mega Gardevoir doesn't like Meta's Steel Moves, but it does like returning Calm Mind-Boosted Shadow Balls or use Destiny Bond or Memento when things look grim, OR even use Skill Swap to give Meta the useless Pixilate.

Primal Groudon could eat Mega Meta for breakfast. Reshiram doesn't really care what Mega Meta tries to do and Blue Flare's Meta out of existence. Rayquaza doesn't get STAB or Sun boost, but it has the muscle to do serious damage to Meta. Heatran resists both of Meta's STABs and can use a Flash Fire-boosted (maybe not even) Fire attack to take care of the hunk of metal, or just use Earth Power, though it has to be careful of returning Ground moves (Air Balloon works well here). Yveltal laughs uproariously at Meta's Psychic moves and ridiculous Attack stat and uses STAB Dark Aura-boosted Foul Play to its advantage. Mewtwo wrecks Mega Meta even normally, but both Megas could easily wipe the floor with Meta with a variety of moves, STAB or otherwise. Mega Mewtwo X resists both of Meta's STABs on top of that, and if it ends up somehow slower than Mega Meta, if it flinches from Iron Head, it gets a nice speed boost thanks to Steadfast! Latias can stand its ground and heal while also using Calm Mind-boosted Shadow Ball, while Latios can do the same (with stronger Shadow Balls anyway) or simply Power Split or Memento Meta to really wreck its Attack stats (and Power Split feeds Latios!). Normal and Attack forme Deoxys hit hard with Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse. Landorus enjoys abusing Sheer Force with STAB Ground moves, especially Earthquake, though Earth Power also works (though it lacks Sp. Def. reduction due to Sheer Force).

Tyranitar, mega or not, laughs in the face of Meta when it tries to use Psychic moves and can hit it back with either Ground moves or STAB Dark moves, though it has to be a little careful of any Steel or Ground moves Meta is packing (Assault Vest is best in this case, as the Sand Stream boosts its sp. defense more anyway). Blaziken and Swampert, mega or not, could probably handle Mega Meta, too, though Blaziken has to watch out for Psychic attacks. Garchomp is a monster when mega or normal and can hit Meta with either STAB Ground moves, or Mega can use really strong Crunches or decently-powerful Fire attacks or even Shadow Claw. Gengar, mega or not but ESPECIALLY when mega, utterly wrecks Meta with STAB Shadow Ball or even Dark Pulse. Alakazam while normal needs a boost to do much with Shadow Ball, but it CAN annoyingly snatch Meta's Ability away with Skill Swap, then go Mega to Trace its original ability back since it can't make much use out of Tough Claws.

As far as non-megas and non-legends go, Drought Ninetales might also be able to both outrun and easily sweep Mega Meta with a Drought-boosted Fire Blast. Archeops has to watch out for Bullet Punch, but otherwise can probably outrun Meta and hit with Earthquake or Earth Power. Hydreigon is probably the bane of Meta's existence on the Dark side with powerful STAB Dark Pulses, or even Fire Blast or Earth Power. Delphox probably definitely needs a Blaze and Calm Mind boost, but could probably take a good chunk out of Meta, and luckily resists both STABs (though it will get wrecked from probably any physical contact move, even Bullet Punch). Chandelure likes to burn Meta (seriously dulling its Attack, even with Tough Claws) and STAB Hex it to death, or even Sun+Flash Fire-boosted Fire Blast it into oblivion. Chandelure and Cofagrigus can also use Power Split to really strengthen themselves while weakening Meta considerably. Espeon can use a Calm Mind-boosted Shadow Ball. Zoroark can use Nasty Plot-boosted Night Daze, Shadow Ball, and Flamethrower, as well as using an even nastier Foul Play than Yveltal since its attack is lower to begin with, or just Memento to make Meta's Attack stats plummet. Aegislash enjoys toying with Meta by using King's Shield to block Meta's attacks and lowering its Attack stat, then using Swords Dance-boosted Shadow Sneaks, Shadow Claws, and Night Slashes (it can use Shadow Ball but currently has no way of boosting it outside of using Metal Sound on Meta) and can use Destiny Bond when the outlook isn't pretty.

All in all, I think the best counters here are mostly megas and legends, but even some normal Pokes should fair well. Overall, I think that Mega Charizard Y, Mega Houndoom, Mega Gengar, Primal/regular Groudon, Reshiram, Heatran, Yveltal, Mewtwo (mega, either X or Y, or regular), Deoxys (Normal or Attack), Tyranitar (Assault Vest or mega), Mega Swampert, Garchomp (Choice Band/Scarf or mega), Hydreigon, Zoroark, and Aegislash are going to be the best counters.

Also, keep in mind that anything with Intimidate is another great counter, and they're even better if they have decent Defenses and can counter with moves Meta is weak to. Mega Gyarados is a perfect example, as it Intimidates Meta coming out and then Megas up to resist both of Meta's STABs and can use Payback since it will probably end up slower than Meta. Landorus's Therian forme is also decent, but isn't as tanky and is more for raw physical power. Scrafty is another good wall that isn't a mega/legend, resists Meta's STABs, and after a few Swords Dances it can really pack a punch with Payback, Crunch and can Quick Guard to protect from Bullet Punches.

Depending on Mega Sableye's stats, it might be able to counter Meta to some degree.

This is all based on what my assumptions of what Mega Metagross's stats will be. I might change some of these options when we finally see what stats it will have.

The thing is, mega meta will be super fast. I dont think Tyranitar can match up with it.

Flash Fire wears off if you mega...

If I'm having trouble I'll likely just bring my Absol over from Y. Forget Speed, just Sucker Punch the censorkip.gif out of it

Not that I expect to have trouble, I'll probs just have Shedinja lob Shadow Balls at it

EDIT: Oh, and since it came up a bit: Mega Garchomp is far outclassed by nonmega even without Choice items. That Speed drop just absolutely kills it. Rough Skin Rocky Helmet Garchomp is better than mega... Unless we care about color schemes. Massive pink flying land sharks FTW!

Not to say megas are always worse. For example, Absol and Mawile get much better. Especially Absol's Speed boost letting it lose the need for Choice Scarves...

Edited by MasterWeavile898

Flash Fire wears off if you mega...

If I'm having trouble I'll likely just bring my Absol over from Y. Forget Speed, just Sucker Punch the **** out of it

Not that I expect to have trouble, I'll probs just have Shedinja lob Shadow Balls at it

EDIT: Oh, and since it came up a bit: Mega Garchomp is far outclassed by nonmega even without Choice items. That Speed drop just absolutely kills it. Rough Skin Rocky Helmet Garchomp is better than mega... Unless we care about color schemes. Massive pink flying land sharks FTW!

Not to say megas are always worse. For example, Absol and Mawile get much better. Especially Absol's Speed boost letting it lose the need for Choice Scarves...

It does? I didn't realize that. :c Well, I still think Mega Houndoom will be fine without it, then.

Mega Garchomp is still extremely dangerous. Unless Choice Chomp, it's not locked into moves, though yes, it does have to worry about speed. Mega Garchomp is one of the few that is outclassed by its nonmega. Speed Boost Blaziken is another. Basically, with a Choice Band, it's far stronger than Mega Blaziken with the same ability that makes its speed skyrocket. Mega Blaziken is better if you're running a mixed set, though even regular Blaziken with a Choice Scarf is better to some extent.

I think we're assuming that Mega Metagross is going to be a lot more difficult to deal with than it really is, kinda like Whimsicott. Everyone thought Whimsicott was going to destroy teams with Prankster status effects, but it ended up not being so great.

Also, Megas only have 100 points to play with. That not a lot in the grand scheme of things, unless the majority is put into one stat. I assume most will go to speed, since they said it will be a LOT faster and it has Tough Claws anyway, so the physical attack probably won't change much.

Metagross's stats might receive an update, but here's what its base stats are currently:

HP: 80

Attack: 135

Def: 130

Sp. Atk: 95

Sp. Def: 90

Speed: 70

Now, I have a feeling that most of the points are going to go towards its three lackluster stats, particularly speed the most. I can see its speed jumping up to around 90-100, which is 20-30 points. Special attack will probably jump up to be around where regular attack is now, so somewhere between 120-140, which is 25-45 points, and special defense will get the leftovers. HP can't change anyway. Defense and/or attack might get 10 points each.

I don't know if any of the stats will go down. That would mean that something else gets to jump up really high.

That's just my guess, though. I could be totally wrong. :P What do you guys think? o3o

LO Blaziken hits harder too IIRC, and it's unlikely you'll have to worry about the recoil much since everything is dead. A Life Orb (or even lefties in some cases, though not any current ones) is oft plenty to allow a nonmega to outclass its mega. And you're not locked into an attack either

EDIT: Sash+SD is good too... Though not so much with the priority meta of Gen VI

Also, my Whimsicott only ever kills Talonflames owo

I think base 100 Speed is about right. Assuming whatever determines Steven's Metagross's nature doesn't make it +Spd, a Jolly/Timid/Naive base 100 sweeper could take it. Of course base 100 isn't as fast as when Staraptor dominated the skies...

Also, do recall it's still base 70 on the first turn. Since move order is determined before megaing. Kinda like Agility Metagross, but it gets an extra hit early on

And again, Shedinja <3 Metagross gets very little that hits it, nothing that's commonly used anywhales (I'm so excited to get my soul stolen repeatedly)

LO Blaziken hits harder too IIRC, and it's unlikely you'll have to worry about the recoil much since everything is dead. A Life Orb (or even lefties in some cases, though not any current ones) is oft plenty to allow a nonmega to outclass its mega. And you're not locked into an attack either

EDIT: Sash+SD is good too... Though not so much with the priority meta of Gen VI

Also, my Whimsicott only ever kills Talonflames owo

I think base 100 Speed is about right. Assuming whatever determines Steven's Metagross's nature doesn't make it +Spd, a Jolly/Timid/Naive base 100 sweeper could take it. Of course base 100 isn't as fast as when Staraptor dominated the skies...

Also, do recall it's still base 70 on the first turn. Since move order is determined before megaing. Kinda like Agility Metagross, but it gets an extra hit early on

And again, Shedinja <3 Metagross gets very little that hits it, nothing that's commonly used anywhales (I'm so excited to get my soul stolen repeatedly)

I completely forgot about LO somehow XD

No, Meta won't be the fastest thing ever with that speed, but it's still very fast and able to outrun a lot of things unboosted.

And yeah, I realize it's still the same slow speed for that initial turn. o3o Still, after that it's going to be more of a pain to deal with.

Shedinja might be good in the game setting, but I doubt it will do much in competitive battling. It's just too frail and weak to too many things. It's also only got a somewhat decent attack and not enough speed to properly use it. If someone has Stealth Rock set up, Shedinja is a goner. Metagross also gets Pursuit, Aerial Ace, and some rock moves (which it will probably have for coverage on most teams anyway), so I think Shedinja is hardly a perfect counter. I mean sure you could have Shadow Sneak to make up for your poor speed, but it's such a weak move and Metagross has such a high physical defense that your passable attack won't even scratch it. :\ You're better off with Sucker Punch Absol or your starter (assuming you choose Torchic or Mudkip) dealing with it, in game or competitively.

In game, Shedinja will wreck it assuming no Stone Edge. I expect something like: Meteor Mash, Psychic, Fighting coverage, EQ, maybe more contact moves assuming Tough Claws

Competatively, it will be useable again, but not great. Base 100 just isn't that good, and a weakness to Dark is really quite crippling, seeing as Dark is common as a coverage type and carries one of the best priority moves in the game. M-Metagross is still going to rely on Bullet Punch to hit reliabubbly, seeing as priority is the world and Scarves are common on base 100s. Of course all of this is moot if it hits base 105, then we're screwed

The way I see it though, it's jumping from UU (or was it NU by now) to OU, and it's typing will still provide struggle. Dark, Fire, and Ground are all quite common offensive types. It still has a lot of relatively free switch ins, but without proper healing...

Let's just say Talonflame and call it a day as Metagross runs screaming

EDIT: Eep, made it sound like base 100 was bad, and it's not. But this generation it's kinda the middle, slower and your slow, faster and your fast. It's a good Speed tier to be in, esp. with Metagross's high BST, but it's not going to be the terror everyone seems to think

The thing is, even if it's not the fastest, Mega Meta still has the bulk to withstand a lot of attacks. The only way to reliably defeat it is to hit hard and fast and even that will take a bit without the strongest moves.

How was it NU? I can see UU and BL but NU? I doubt that. Even with additional weaknesses to Dark and Ghost, I think it needs to be given more credit. It's still a very strong wall. And besides, being strong against Fairies gave it a bit more use this gen, I think. 5th gen did nerf it a bit, but it was solid in 3rd and 4th and 6th gave it a bit more advantage over the very prevalent Fairies. I'd say maybe it might have been UU or NU for 5th gen, but with Fairies around I think it's possible to say it jumped back up to OU or at least BL.

Mega is going to make it into a much better sweeper and wall.

Lolno, definitely not OU. I know it's at least UU, but I can't recall if it dropped further

Being SE on Fairy doesn't help things that use Steel for STAB unless they're already good. Instead, it just means those types get used as coverage. If anything, Poison and Steel STAB are worse this gen due to the fact that you'll likely be running enough Iron Heads and Poison Jabs as coverage that you don't need something that relies on those types for their main attacks

Steel's main selling point is all those resistances. It's simply not an offensive type. And GF trying to give it more offensive presence is pointless

TL;DR, Steel types, even offensive ones, are used because they get a lot of resistances, defensively walling capability, offensively safe switch-ins. And oftentimes they didn't even carry Steel attacks in favor of their secondary STAB, unless Bullet Punch for STAB priority. All the Fairy onslaught has done is force them to drop a coverage move in favor of an offensively almost useless STAB

Even intended buffs can be effective nerfs

EDIT: Ah, okay, NU doesn't completely exist yet. So UU is the lowest you can be. Metagross is just suspected to end up NU when it becomes a full thing

And IIRC, Metagross was OU at least early in Gen V, might have dropped later though