LadyNightshade

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

I didn't say it was an offensive type. o.o I mean, at least its Steel STAB is a bit more effective in case a Fairy comes along, but that's not what I meant. It's one of the few types that resists Fairy, too, which makes up for some of the pain of the Ghost and Dark nerfs to it.

Also Metagross does have Psychic, which is a pretty decent attacking type. As well, it has access to a good variety of moves. I'm just saying that I don't think it's horrible. I'm honestly a little sad to see it so low when it used to be awesome. It's mostly 5th gen's fault though, and a bit of 6th gen.

I think that mega will bump it back up, though. Tough Claws boosted Bullet Punch is gonna be fun to deal with. :P

I suppose. Fairy has very few attacks though, and all three okay ones are quite mediocre

Losing a resistance to Ghost isn't really a problem. Less a Steel nerf and more a Gengar Ghost buff. It's the loss of Dark resistance that's truly dangerous. Dark is still one of the best offensive types around, even with low Base Power attacks and being NFE on Fairy.

Not saying M-Metagross won't be good. But it'll be closer to M-Pinsir (Bullet Punch+Meteor Mash=Quick Attack+Return?) than M-Mawile (though it will certainly be OU)

Competitively, I'd say M-Metagross will fear Mandibuzz and Aegislash a lot. Also Air Balloon Heatran, Talonflame, Ferrothorn, Skarmory (whale, it doesn't get censorkip.gif to hit it with), Suicune, Yzard, M-Gyarados (esp. if Levitate), Excadrill, Rotom-W/ Rotom-H (only Rotom's I've ever seen in OU), Azumarill, maybe Avalugg (is that still OU?), and a good few others (those are just all that come to mind)

Basically all bulky Waters. Physical walls (though hopefully it gets enough of a special boost that mixed variants are a thing) offensively strong Fires, stuff like that

It will have to run EQ or it will be absolutely incapabubble of hitting Heatran, and probs a couple other Steels depending on your coverage choices. Bullet Punch is necessary for living in Gen VI. And then a pair of coverage moves

Adamant, because Jolly is a waste with all your resistances

I'd suggest a wall set, but without the ability to hold items anything but a sweeper or tank is kinda pointless

I'm gonna stop talking now, because my thoughts are all jumbled. Hopefully I carried my point okay

EDIT: Oh and you said strong against, which generally means the same as super-effective on. Thus why I spoke on offensive terms

Edited by MasterWeavile898

Losing a resistance to Ghost isn't really a problem. Less a Steel nerf and more a Gengar Ghost buff. It's the loss of Dark resistance that's truly dangerous. Dark is still one of the best offensive types around, even with low Base Power attacks and being NFE on Fairy.

Not saying M-Metagross won't be good. But it'll be closer to M-Pinsir (Bullet Punch+Meteor Mash=Quick Attack+Return?) than M-Mawile (though it will certainly be OU)

Competitively, I'd say M-Metagross will fear Mandibuzz and Aegislash a lot. Also Air Balloon Heatran, Talonflame, Ferrothorn, Skarmory (whale, it doesn't get **** to hit it with), Suicune, Yzard, M-Gyarados (esp. if Levitate), Excadrill, Rotom-W/ Rotom-H (only Rotom's I've ever seen in OU), Azumarill, maybe Avalugg (is that still OU?), and a good few others (those are just all that come to mind)

Basically all bulky Waters. Physical walls (though hopefully it gets enough of a special boost that mixed variants are a thing) offensively strong Fires, stuff like that

It will have to run EQ or it will be absolutely incapabubble of hitting Heatran, and probs a couple other Steels depending on your coverage choices. Bullet Punch is necessary for living in Gen VI. And then a pair of coverage moves

Adamant, because Jolly is a waste with all your resistances

I'd suggest a wall set, but without the ability to hold items anything but a sweeper or tank is kinda pointless

I'm gonna stop talking now, because my thoughts are all jumbled. Hopefully I carried my point okay

Well, I meant in Meta's case it's a hazard. Dark is still dangerous, but most Pokemon that don't have access to any offensive Dark moves can usually at least learn a ghost move like Shadow Ball (usually).

And what do you mean it can't hit Skarmory? Doesn't it get Thunder Punch? Not the best for Skarmory because of its amazing defense, but Metagross has a respectable attack stat that will only be boosted by Tough Claws. I think most Metagross will definitely have to carry Rock coverage for Talonflame and Mandibuzz, and Hammer Arm/Brick Break for Heatran and Ferrothorn. Thunder Punch is also good for the Suicune and Mega Gyarados (Hammer Arm/Brick Break is also good for M-Gyara). Rotom-H doesn't like Rock coverage moves. Azumarill doesn't like Thunder Punch. Yzard doesn't like Thunder Punch or Rock coverage, and Aegislash doesn't like Shadow Ball/Claw or Earthquake too much. I think the only real threat in the list you have there so far is Rotom-W (just has to watch out for Grass Knot and HP-Grass, which are both meh at 20 and 60 BP respectively). I'm not saying that the threats aren't valid, because they are. I'm just saying, for all but Rotom-W, M-Meta has access to something that trumps them. The main thing it suffers from is the 4 move slots. Most sets will run both STABs and then two coverage moves, or only one coverage move plus a boosting move, or something. I think a Rock move and Earthquake are usually the coverage moves most used, though it might drop one of the STABS (probably Psychic, unless it wants to use Zen Headbutt+Iron Head and is running lots of speed to outrun and cause flinching). It could add on Hammer Arm, Pursuit, or Shadow Claw if it wanted, though. There's no way for it to cover all the bases, but even its STAB moves on most of those counters will still hit pretty hard (Skarmory, Aegislash, Ferrothorn, M-Gyara, and Heatran are just a few from the list that do successfully resist both STABs).

I didn't know Avalugg was OU to begin with since physically-defensive Ice types are silly? Good for more Fighting, Rock, and Steel moves I guess, but I thought special Fire was more common anyway and lots of Pokemon can learn Focus Blast and Flash Cannon. I mean, Avalugg isn't a bad Pokemon, but trying to make physically-defensive Ice types are just a silly thing GF keeps trying to do and they don't seem to realize that it just doesn't work. :U

Intimidate will be the main thing that wrecks it, I think, unless it's running a mixed or fully special set (which is feasible, especially if M-Meta gets a boost to special attack).

Jolly works best if you're going for a Flinching moveset, but yes, otherwise Adamant will be the way to go. Modest if for some reason you want a special moveset, though what a waste with Tough Claws unless you're just really wanting to boost Grass Knot.

I think M-Meta might need its team to be built around it in order for it to be successful in higher tiers. A valid choice yes, but probably not the greatest mega. Very dangerous offensively and it can't be taken lightly. I just think in some areas we're overestimating it and it other underestimating it. I think stuff like Bullet Punch is going to be more dangerous than we make it out to be (maybe not as dangerous as Aerilate Quick Attack, but still extremely so). But I think the main thing is that M-Meta will still need Baton Pass support from Dragon Dancers/Swords Dance+Agility users or something to really shine. Definitely other Pokemon to fill in for the areas it can't quite cover with its four moves. Still a valid choice, though, and I think in NU, UU, and BL it will definitely be a monster (if that's where it ends up).

Aerialate is only a %20 boost, no? Tough Claws BP would be stronger

Does it get T-Punch? I did think it got Fire Punch. That helps it a little. Most of what I mentioned would still be fine, but Skarmory and Azu just dropped. Also, doesn't need Rock coverage with T-Punch

So now there's three essentially mandatory moves (T-Punch hits a lot that I thought it'd have trouble with) Last slot could go to a stat booster if it's got any outside Agility, or a coverage attack

No point in using Psychic STAB, doesn't hit any threats. M-Metagross is likely going to be used for coverage, maybe a mixed wallbreaker

Also, flinch set xd.png %30/%20 flinch rates. And a projected Speed as low as base 100 with no Scarf access. That's just asking to get pummelled

Oh, also, forgot Diggersby

Also, having an SE move isn't the same as being able to KO something. Ferrothorn can pretty easily take current Metagross's Brick Breaks IIRC (adding Tough Claws is helpful tho) And if you can't still take Suicune after the Burn, you're screwed

And yeah, Avalugg was OU for a bit. Yeah, defensive Ice types suck... Until your +2 Talonflame's Flare Blitz doesn't even break Subs. It's got like 700+ defense after Curse. Yeah it's an Ice type, weak to plenty of common offensive types, but those defenses are nothing to laugh at. I've had people underestimate my Curslug before, to their demise. Only thing, is that you have to kill all the opponent's special attackers or you're not getting much done. But pair it with Chansey, and nothing is taking you down (okay not nothing, but that pair can tank pretty much any non-mixed attacker in the game. Aegislash being the most obvious threat)

Oh, I guess it would be stronger. o3o I just didn't remember how much it boosted. It mostly just adds an actual STAB, basically. BP already gets a STAB boost, and then TC on top of that, I believe?

It does not get Fire Punch. It gets Ice Punch though. It would need Rock coverage for Rotom-H, and rock coverage is also more potent for Yzard and Talonflame. Thunder Punch is probably more effective, though, because it hits more things. And if it has Gravity, both Rotoms are dealt with easily enough.

It's not the greatest flinch set, but it does have access to Agility. With its bulk, it could probably make use of Substitute, then Agility to really boost its speed and make use of the flinching. Sadly it's not super reliable, but it might work and would be an interesting strategy. o3o Tough Claws would at least make the moveset hit harder.

No, you're right, SE doesn't mean it will actually kill things. Tough Claws and Hone Claws (as it doesn't have access to Swords Dance) will probably be pretty good. Won't be quite as good for its attack stat, but at least most of its moves will appreciate the accuracy boost (I can't remember if Hone Claws is illegal though? There's funny business going on with accuracy related stuff so idk). Ferrothorn also doesn't like Hammer Arm too much, though M-Meta needs to watch its Speed stat.

Avalugg IS awesome. It's just weak to Fire which is usually special. That's the main problem. :U and pfft, while Talonflame can be pretty strong, it's not very strong offensively. Its main thing is speed and Gale Wings boosting its flying-type moves so it can smash most Pokemon with STAB Brave Bird hard. Doesn't do much, though, since Talonflame isn't exactly bulky. :Y

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Little thing to say, Aerilate is the equivalent of a LO boost, which I think is 30%.

Talonflame is a little overrated in my opinion. It doesn't get enough attack to do much to anything that isn't SE. Yes, it does get Gale Wings, but that still won't help it that much. Defense EVs are meh, since Garchomp carries Stone Edge most of the time and numerous other things carry it too or at least have something SE against Talonflame. It does at least do damage to something before going down though. Speed is its best stat I think and to me that is kind of useless with Gale Wings. 81 for attack is kind of underwhelming. This is just my opinion though.

On another note, my dad said he would buy me one of the games when they came out! I went to Game Stop yesterday and looked around. Now I just need to think which one I want. I'm leaning more towards Kyogre, but I'll wait and see before making any choices for certain.

Talonflame is decent. Not great, but decent. Gale Wings is nice for revenge killing, at least. Honestly I'd load it up with Speed and Attack and get in one or two KO's with Choice Band BB before inevitably going down. I'd still use Staraptor over it regardless, though. Both of them have a great weakness to Stealth Rock, but Staraptor isn't totally crippled by it, not to mention it is much better on the offensive side. Brave Bird completely wrecks with the right investments, Close Combat checks those pesky Rock and Ice-types birds love so much, and U-turn isn't half bad with Staraptors great attack which I would gladly trade for Talonflame's speed, which, like you pointed out Silver is kinda pointless with Gale Wings. (In fact, I want Gale Wings on Staraptor. Come on, who else would totally use that? Brave Bird FTW!) All in all, despite the recoil that stacks up against it while battling, I'd rather fall from damage due to my own attack and punch a hole in my target, if it doesn't faint, than lose to a single decisive Stone Edge. After all, as nice as Fire is for the STAB, there is a hefty price that I would rather not pay.

Speaking of how to use foreign Pokemon, I wonder which Pokemon will appear in ORAS? Will it be the same, or will new Pokemon appear? And if so, how many? I'd love Gibble in that one desert place (Route 111?) or Skorupi in the Safari. (If there IS a Safari... Come on now Gamefreak, I've missed the Safari as much as I've missed Contests dry.gif)

More Coro Coro leaks. More Megas confirmed and a shiny Beldum event!

user posted image

From Serebii:

Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire- CoroCoro Reveals

The next batch of CoroCoro information has been posted to Japanese forums and this batch showcases more information about the upcoming game Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. This reveals Mega Altaria, who is Dragon/Fairy with Pixilate and Mega Lopunny who is Normal/Fighting with Scrappy. It also confirms that when you change your Pikachu's clothes for contests, it gets special moves. Pikachu Rock Star gets the move Meteor Mash, Pikachu Ph. D. knows Electric Terrain, Pikachu Pop Star knows Draining Kiss, Pikachu Belle knows Icicle Crash and Pikachu Libre knows Flying Press

Edit @ 06:56: Mega Salamence is also confirmed and has the ability Aerilate

Edit @ 07:07: Contests are detailed. With you meeting a Contest Idol called Lucia, who will give you special clothes for participating in Pokémon Contests. You also receive a shiny Beldum through an event, where it holds its Mega Stone

WHAT. THE HELL. They took three of my favorite Pokémom and MURDERED them ;_; Altaria isn't too bad, and the type change is great, but WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY DEARLY BELOVED SALAMENCE?!?!?!?!

Ahahahah oh my god nyoom

Psh, Altaria is glorious. Literally all it was is a fluffy bird and now it's maximum fluff burd. And Lopunny was always that creepy skinny you just couldn't really see it through the fuzz.

I'm pretty sure Bagon just has zero idea what wings even are though. I mean even regular Salamence's were really weird.

Er. Meh. Gerd. Well it looks like Altara uses the same hairdresser as Ampharos and Absol. I have seen some cool mega fan-art for these two but this is more than I could ever have dreamed. Dragon/Fairy? This thing is going to be the ULTIMATE DRAGON SLAYER. I hope you don't miss NU too much, because I smell a rise in tiers. Usually Megas (like that godforsaken Blaziken) completely ruin a Pokemon for me, but these guys are... well... lets just say it has a red moon strapped to its back. 'nuff said.

And anyone else think a Scrappy Fighting Lopunny is going to be a great counter to Aegislash? Granted it has to pack enough punch to actually get up to OU first, or everything else would kill it, but still. (I swear to god if this thing has fists for ears though I will be so angry I'll beat it to death with my new Mega Altaria)

Edit: EEEE! Mega Loppuny! Well, I've decided three Pokemon to have on my team now.

Edited by Psycho Cat

Really? I assumed the new Steel type rule would let Sucker Punch scare it into staying in OU. With Blaziken up there he's going to have a tough time, not to mention all the legends that it's weak to.

And yeah, I found out about Lopunny. I shall call her Fluffy, and she shall be mine.

Ew, shiny Beldum event

Also, Lopunny getting a mega... I didn't think GF was that dirty owo

Mega Altaria! YOU ARE SO FLUFFY I MUST HUG YOU AND SQUISH YOU AND HUG YOU FOREVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRR. Which is more than I can say for Mega Salamence and Mega Lopunny, unfortunately. :/

I'm not quite sure how Salamence is supposed to fly exactly, but it looks like it's going to get a speed buff, which should help it rise back to OU, maybe, since it's main problem was that not-so-great base 100 speed. Attack buffs would be pretty good for it, but it already works pretty decently as a mixed/physical attacker, so yeah.

Mega Lopunny... Um... At least it seems to have gotten a less awkward pose than the one from gen 4? I dunno, I don't have much of an opinion on it. But geez, the fan art of that thing is great. Much better than the actually design... I'm guessing that it'll be top tier UU, or bottom-average tier OU? it's fast and has the giant movepool that all normals have, so no coverage issues. It just doesn't hit that hard, so the Mega will need to fix that.

Wahaahhhh

I was considering breeding for a shiny Buneary and now I pretty much HAVE to c':

HOLY HELL YES MEGA ALTARIA IS DRAGON/FAIRY :DDDDD I love it! It's so fluffy and beautiful <333

Mega Lopunny looks like it's wearing ripped tights. o3o Really awesome-looking, though, I love it. I thought it was supposed to be the male form until I realized it was a Mega. XD I like its type combination though. o:

MEGA SALAMENCE WAT I love it! I love that it looks like a spaceship of death or something. Aerilate is going to destroy what it already could destroy even harder. Hoping it gets a massive speed boost.

Okay then, that's one...funky looking dragon. xd.png ALTARIA looks AWESOME though, and ditto on the tights for our fighting bun bun.

I think my favorite part about Mega Lop is the tights, but I also really like the nunchuk/flail/whip braids. o3o

gahaha I've just always loved Lopunny and I'm really excited for its badass Mega <33 It's definitely getting increased attack, for sure.

So far, its stats are:

HP: 65

Attack: 76

Defense: 84

Sp.Atk: 54

Sp.Def: 96

Speed: 105

Total: 480

HP won't change unless they give it an independent boost to Lop itself, which they might. They might give tiny boosts to Lop's defenses and maybe a bit more to speed. Probably won't do much for special attack. But I can see the regular attack getting up to at least 100. Probably 120, actually, which gives it +44 more points already. Well, they might give it enough special attack to be somewhat usable, even though it looks to be a more physically-inclined Pokemon o3o

What I think it's going to be (special attack boosted significantly):

Attack: 120 (+44)

Defense: 90 (+6)

Sp.Atk: 90 (+34)

Sp.Def: 100 (+4)

Speed: 117 (+12)

Total: 580

What I think it's going to be (special attack ignored):

Attack: 130 (+54)

Defense: 100 (+16)

Sp.Atk: 55 (+1) (just to even things out)

Sp.Def: 110 (+14)

Speed: 120 (+15)

Total: 580

The second one would actually be pretty good in competitive play, I think. maybe a bit less to sp. Def and more into attack and speed, but it outspeeds most of the metagame, hits pretty hard, and isnt a Talonflame where it folds to a poke.

The second one would actually be pretty good in competitive play, I think. maybe a bit less to sp. Def and more into attack and speed, but it outspeeds most of the metagame, hits pretty hard, and isnt a Talonflame where it folds to a poke.

No, I think it would have higher defenses anyway because regular Lop has decent defense (horrid HP, but still decent defenses considering)

Here's hoping it gets awesome stat boosts like one of those. I think I prefer the second one, too, actually. Another physical sweeper with a bit more defense than most. Course if it wanted to take any hits, it would seriously need lots of defense investment and even Reflect+Light Screen boosts. :U

Yeah, that's true. But high HP isn't all a wall needs, proven by Rotom-W and Rotom-H, which are both amazing defensive pivots.

Physical sweepers tend to be super frail or super slow, and I guess lopunny's a nice balance? My above statement is countered by Tyranitar, but it's an exception more than a rule.

Screens are great for it, especially coming from Deoxys-S. The hazards would be a great bonus as well. Espeon would probably be a decent dual-screening partner too, since they can baton pass/u-turn and attack from physical and special pretty well.

Yeah, that's true. But high HP isn't all a wall needs, proven by Rotom-W and Rotom-H, which are both amazing defensive pivots.

Physical sweepers tend to be super frail or super slow, and I guess lopunny's a nice balance? My above statement is countered by Tyranitar, but it's an exception more than a rule.

Screens are great for it, especially coming from Deoxys-S. The hazards would be a great bonus as well. Espeon would probably be a decent dual-screening partner too, since they can baton pass/u-turn and attack from physical and special pretty well.

It's not, but 65 is below average, which means it's pretty pitiful without investment.

I would say Tyranitar is a tanky sweeper. Course sweepers are usually also fast as well as strong. "Sweeping" refers to them being able to blow away the opponent quickly and not take too much damage themselves. The ones that are also frail would be glass cannons (they don't have to be fast, much like regular Absol, but they usually are, like Sharpedo).

Mega Lopunny with lots of defense and Substitute support would probably do very well, actually. You'd have to really build your team around it, though, like a few other Megas. Most people would prefer Megas that could stand alone, though, since you can only have one Mega. :c

The Rotoms I mentioned earlier have base 50, if I remember correctly. They're still threatening defensively and offensively, if a bit slow. Lopunny seems to trade the speed issue for some defense, in your mega evos.

Scarftar or a dragon dancing set is actually pretty fast. I managed to outspeed a scarfed Latios once, though I assume it didn't have many speed EVs. But, Tyranitar's speed is pretty abysmal. To be fair though, most sweepers have below average defenses, though some outshine the rest in paper-bag-defensiveness. Generally, they can only take a hit or two of a given moderately powerful attack from a moderately powerful user. Slow glass canons are kinda bad, unless they have something that makes them a really good wallbreaker.

The Mega Lopunny you designed is actually very diverse and seems to fit into quite a few roles, actually, without being OP at any of them. It's a really well made theorymon.