Red2111

New release Feedback

I am sorry to see the regular eggs mixing in already. Last time was better from that point of view.

Well, the belated release was... weird. I don't really like it to catch the eggs in the evening (to me, it was 7PM), I enjoy catching them in the morning, soon after getting up.

I, myself, had difficulties catching some. It was no total disadvantage, but waiting was a pain and... well yeah, as I said, I prefer catching them "in the morning".

-Please, TJ, leave the midnight release as it is.-

I usually only hunt in the mornings too, as my internet connection is pretty bad in the evenings.

When i refreshed the page it got blank for a few seconds. so all the eggs where already gone.

I do set my alarm at 5.45 am so i can catch new releases and usually dont have any problems catching them.

Now on the other hand, i just gave up and returned after an hour and a half lol. i prefer the midnight release too, but thats just because my net sucks in the evenings.

I come down STRONGLY on the side of keeping the release to be a "whole Calendar Day." That's 24 hours of eggs with the same date, whether they start to be mixed, or not.

Either All of Saturday, or All of Sunday . . . and the more I think about it, the more I think that "all day Saturday Eastern Time" would be the best choice.

This drop was a mean trick on some players . . .Having the Egg drop START when it's Monday Morning somewhere in the world is just not fair at all.

I've traded eggs with someone in New Zealand (+12 from Zulu, +17 from EST)

I've Also Traded Eggs with someone in Hawaii (-10 from Zulu, -5 from EST)

And another thought . . . Maybe TJ should actually apologize in explicit words to everyone for the lack of notice of the change. I think that might go a LONG way toward smoothing ruffled feathers.

I know he doesn't "have to do anything" he doesn't want to do. And there are a LOT of people here that are just going to blow sunshine on anything he does. Honestly, though, this was NOT a good surprise, it was a nasty jolt.

I was one of those that felt very annoyed.

IF there were another reason, site problems, actual issues that impacted the situation. Maybe that should be said also. There's been lots of speculation. If it is true, though, that this was just surprise experiment, announced whimsically an hour before the expected start of the drop, it was a BAD impulse.

Edited by Gladtobemom

Well, the belated release was... weird. I don't really like it to catch the eggs in the evening (to me, it was 7PM), I enjoy catching them in the morning, soon after getting up.

I, myself, had difficulties catching some. It was no total disadvantage, but waiting was a pain and... well yeah, as I said, I prefer catching them "in the morning".

-Please, TJ, leave the midnight release as it is.-

This.

I managed to grab them later in the evening but I had to do it during tv-time. I prefer "mornings" too.

Going online and see TJ's post about the belated release felt like an April Fool prank. >.<

Hello all,

The usual monthly release will be delayed a few hours. I'm going to try something new: doing a release during a time when the main audience of the site is actually awake (rather than, you know, at midnight).

Specifically, the new release will happen at 1 PM EST tomorrow (Apr. 06). Let's see how it goes.

Rather than all freaking out and being angry, give some construction criticism.

What I liked about the new time:

*I didn't have to stay up until midnight! (I'm not a night person at all)

*I am usually around at that time on a Sunday

What I didn't like about the new time:

*not my favorite time for a drop, nothing wrong per se, just personal preference (my ideal time would be 10pm EST xd.png )

Other feedback:

*more notice on the time change would have been nice, I could have been in bed earlier

*I appreciate 24 hour exclusive drops

*Saturday afternoon drops would be a terrible time

It seems 24 hours after the start of the drop they are easy to catch. So what is the big deal? As a group we seem to freak out if we can't catch them within a minute. Let's all relax just a little bit. smile.gif

Edited by littleblackdog

I come down STRONGLY on the side of keeping the release to be a "whole Calendar Day." That's 24 hours of eggs with the same date.

-edited for length-

Honestly, though, this was NOT a good surprise, it was a nasty jolt.

I was one of those that felt very annoyed.

IF there were another reason, site problems, actual issues that impacted the situation. Maybe that should be said also. There's been lots of speculation. If it is true, though, that this was just surprise experiment, announced whimsically an hour before the expected start of the drop, it was a BAD impulse.

I'm agreeing with the annoyed factor. While I caught my eggs just fine, I was still relatively annoyed about the lack of notice for the change. I stay up late anyway, but I was expecting a midnight release. I was all excited and then kicked in the teeth essentially.

It also just so happened this Sunday was one where I actually did have time to jump on the computer during the afternoon to hunt. I got on at 4PM my time (5pm cave), and locked myself with coastals. Though it took around ~45 minutes of hunting and dealing with nasty lag. (I dont know about others, but I did have lag during the drops. Fairly decent lag. Lag that when the page loaded, it was mostly in code form with little [?] for egg pictures.)

I'm also seconding the keeping it on a full calendar day. While I'm not one who's completely anal about having to have 'release day' eggs, I MUCH prefer it for my own record keeping. If I had been given the choice to trade between 1st release day and 2nd, I'd go for first. Perhaps that's irrelevant.

I've been around for four years so I've seen my fair share of releases. I will say that I am not fond of this new time, but all the same, it was not horrible. Had I been at home rather then at college? I wouldn't have stood a chance. If my college internet lagged enough to get [?]'s for eggs, my home internet would have definitely just crashed and said "screw you, hope you can trade." Middle of the day internet at home is already strained. Hell, internet here at college during the middle of the day is strained (because, you know, campus of 45k students studying).

I'm seconding needing a full 24 hour drop of eggs... Or at least X number of hours. I understand that, for rares, 24 hours of solid rares would probably screw us for months to come with ratios. Perhaps there could be adjustments made. Commons are full 24, uncommons 18, and rares 12. I understand this wouldn't give everyone a fair chance, but it'd give most a fighting chance. Or, perhaps, there could be a mixing. For the first half hour of each hour, drop solid X eggs. For the later half of the hour, drop mixed eggs. That way, you'd still get the number of hours, but spaced throughout the day for everyone to try and nab, not just the first 5 hour rush.

... so I'll stop here before I ramble any more. Apologies for the scatter brained line of thought. I'm bad at trying to stay on a single thought line.

I am going to have to say that I agree with either pushing the release back to midnight or moving it to Saturday if it does stay an afternoon release. I was there at the start of the hunt and I fall in the ET timezone, but it seems like it was more of a hassle than a positive switch. I think pushing the time to late morning may have been the better option rather than a later release with other breeds mixing in earlier. Many drops were cleared in less than a minute and I would hate to have to be the frustrated user in the other timezone having to regularly miss or deal with these releases just before or on a weekday.

Also, if TJ is going to continue experimenting with time, I think more advanced warning needs to be given.

Edited by Jazeki

The "big deal" is the combined too-short warning (people planned around the expected release, 3 hours is not enough warning) and the fact that with uncommons and any theoretical new rares there is a very real risk for many that if you don't get them during the first few hours you'll have to pay in limbs if you want them in a reasonable timeframe (see: Coppers, Blusangs). Since TJ has appeared to move away from a full 24 hour drop, that's still a concern.

Plus, there's a decent number who like having eggs stolen on the day they released. The new time reduced the catch time for those eggs to 11 hours.

I'm seconding needing a full 24 hour drop of eggs... Or at least X number of hours. I understand that, for rares, 24 hours of solid rares would probably screw us for months to come with ratios. Perhaps there could be adjustments made. Commons are full 24, uncommons 18, and rares 12. I understand this wouldn't give everyone a fair chance, but it'd give most a fighting chance. Or, perhaps, there could be a mixing. For the first half hour of each hour, drop solid X eggs. For the later half of the hour, drop mixed eggs. That way, you'd still get the number of hours, but spaced throughout the day for everyone to try and nab, not just the first 5 hour rush.

For rares and rarer uncommons, I think having a random number caught on the release day not count toward ratios initially, and then slowly trickle them in as the year goes on would prevent massive droughts. They'd probably still be a bit of a pain to get for the first year, but it wouldn't be as bad as in the past.

Edited by Guillotine

It seems 24 hours after the start of the drop they are easy to catch.  So what is the big deal?  As a group we seem to freak out if we can't catch them within a minute.  Let's all relax just a little bit.  smile.gif

Because the drops aren't guarenteed to be easy to catch by any mean (though admittedly, nor shall it be), nor is there a promise of how long the drops would stay pure or at least relatively unmixed.

Because Blusangs and Coppers have both proven how difficult new releases might become after merely a few hours into it.

Because with none of the promises and having the past experience with the aforementioned difficult or ridiculously hard releases, one has to prepare for the worst just in case that history repeats itself.

EDIT: Midnight double-checking failure. Fixed an minor error that caused the last paragraph to make no sense.

Edited by CNR4806

Hello all,

The usual monthly release will be delayed a few hours. I'm going to try something new: doing a release during a time when the main audience of the site is actually awake (rather than, you know, at midnight).

Specifically, the new release will happen at 1 PM EST tomorrow (Apr. 06). Let's see how it goes.

I think I'll try that. Constructive criticism.

What I liked about the new time:

1. Getting to bed at a decent time. I'm a bit of a night owl anyway, but it's usually 2 am before I have my eggs and have enjoyed the comments in the news thread enough to be able to settle down. That makes it tough to get up for church the next day.

2. Also, hubby doesn't play, but usually enjoys my comments about the game. Usually for releases he's asleep. This time he wasn't.

What I didn't like about the new time:

1. Usually I have my eggs within minutes. This time it took half a day. I did still get my eggs on the release day, so I'm happy about that. Understand, I'm fine with the fact that more people than normal were hunting then. I rather think that was the point of TJ's experiment. It just made it personally harder for me.

2. Normally I wouldn't be available Sunday afternoons. It's purely coincidence that I was yesterday. In general though Sunday, 1 pm EST isn't going to work well for me. In fact, Sunday in general doesn't work well for me. Releasing at midnight works better because it's still "technically" Saturday, since I haven't gone to bed yet, but my Sundays are normally busy.

Not specific to me but general observation: people used to complain about midnight releases because they needed to be asleep, especially for the youngun's who play. People are complaining about the Sunday afternoon release because the timing doesn't fit them. Since there are people who play from all around the Big Blue Marble, whatever time TJ picks isn't going to work for someone. This wasn't horrible, and I'll adjust however needed no matter what time TJ picks. More notice would have been nice.

As long as the drops are pure for 24 hours, I couldn't care less what time or day they are released on. Just a little warning as to when it's going to happen is all I need.

Personally, I'm very much in favor of the new time (noon or 1 PM EST) because it's much easier for me to be there for the release. Without getting up at 6 AM (my local time) and sitting and refreshing for hours with no luck whatsoever.

True, the first hour didn't yield any eggs for me, either. But it's not quite as disappointing to get to your PC in the evening than having to set your alarm clock to try and catch what you cannot catch.

Still, I'd prefer if we could have 24 hours of solid drops so everybody has a chance at an egg - especially if the new breeds are uncommon or even rare. (Let's not think about the blusang or trio release...)

On behalf of my Australian girlfriend: Can we please have an earlier time so it isn't Monday for her and other Australians when the eggs start dropping? smile.gif Something that's weekend-time for everyone on the globe would be sweet!

(With that said, the drop time would benefit me personally to some degree (although it nips trading in the bud a bit since if the drop starts at 19:00 my time as it did this Sunday, the first eggs are off cooldown midnight on Sunday->Monday and I really have to be in bed then laugh.gif ), but! I don't think that's a criterion. I managed to plan around the 6AM drop, I'll manage to plan around pretty much anything else.)

I thought it was unfortunate that the change in drop time was announced such a short time before the regular drop would have happened. That screwed over a lot of people who were planning around that time (with alarms, or with staying up late), which was... a bit on the unkind side, let's say. I personally dodged the bullet (and if I hadn't, for myself I'll always argue that it's my own dumb choice to stay up, but I think other people that don't go into their life with such a rigorously self-deprecating attitude deserve respect as well user posted image), but it was easy to see that others hadn't and that was a bit of a shame...

Experimenting with the time: Yes please, that sounds worthwhile. smile.gif

Only two hours notice: Please don't? sad.gif

As long as the drops are pure for 24 hours, I couldn't care less what time or day they are released on. Just a little warning as to when it's going to happen is all I need.

New releases have never been guaranteed to be the only drops over a 24-hour-period.

On behalf of my Australian girlfriend: Can we please have an earlier time so it isn't Monday for her and other Australians when the eggs start dropping? smile.gif Something that's weekend-time for everyone on the globe would be sweet!

Yeah, Saturday will probably be the new target. I figured moving the release earlier would be a much larger disruption than moving it later (ie getting on at midnight and finding you still have 13 hours is better than getting on at midnight and finding that new eggs have been dropping for 11 hours already).

Not specific to me but general observation: people used to complain about midnight releases because they needed to be asleep, especially for the youngun's who play. People are complaining about the Sunday afternoon release because the timing doesn't fit them. Since there are people who play from all around the Big Blue Marble, whatever time TJ picks isn't going to work for someone. This wasn't horrible, and I'll adjust however needed no matter what time TJ picks. More notice would have been nice.

This. I had no issues with this timing; when I am in the UK and and FAR from wild about midnight. But I am only one player. Not one single one of us has the right to have it THEIR way !

And certainly last month it FELT like it was a pure drop for 24 hours. And that does make it fairer for people in other time zones.

I'm in Europe, so the release started at 7pm for me which gave me 3 hours of hunting time instead of an entire day. But this was common stress free release, so I can't complain.

But. If TJ ever releases uncommon/rare dragon at this time - I'm toast. And I'm in Europe, not Asia (for those guys release starts in wee hours of Monday).

If we have to keep 1PM EST I propose Saturday, but the best option for me would be to keep the old midnight release.

And last but not least - I want a warning ahead of time.

New releases have never been guaranteed to be the only drops over a 24-hour-period.

Would you be willing to share with us how bad a 24 hour pure drop would be? I'm thinking it would have to be pretty bad to overcome the benefits of addressing time zone issues and things like CNR4806 talked about in the following quote, but details could probably help us be more understanding of the necessary frustrations. (edit: and my apologies if I've missed past relevant info)

Because the drops aren't guarenteed to be easy to catch by any mean (though admittedly, nor shall it be), nor is there a promise of how long the drops would stay pure or at least relatively unmixed.

Because Blusangs and Coppers have both proven how difficult new releases might become after merely a few hours into it.

Because with any of the promises and having the past experience with the aforementioned difficult or ridiculously hard releases, one has to prepare for the worst just in case that history repeats itself.

Edited by diaveborn

Yeah, Saturday will probably be the new target. I figured moving the release earlier would be a much larger disruption than moving it later (ie getting on at midnight and finding you still have 13 hours is better than getting on at midnight and finding that new eggs have been dropping for 11 hours already).

The biggest disruption was not announcing,it beforehand. Some people really do plan their life according to certain events - and you should be very honored if one of those events is your once a month drop. I know how pleased I'd be if anyone would change their personal freetime due to something I did (and on a regular basis, too).

So, please, think of those groupies. Please them/us by respecting that we NEED time to plan chances for our dc schedule.

This was my first release since I came back after a 4 year hiatus from DC...

I saw new eggs in the cave, got eggcited, dumped a few random uncommon CBs I had on my scroll and grabbed some. Told the kids, and I helped them do the same with their scrolls. *shrugs*

I really think it would be cool if TJ did a totally random time for the drops, and never the same time or same day.... But, other people are OCD and want everything spelled out for them. I don't particularly care either way - I like having the new dragons! smile.gif

But I do think the time it starts should be maybe early evening Saturday instead of mid-day Sunday EST so as those that are in different time zones are not disadvantaged by work schedules or such for their Monday... Just a thought. As this is all TJ's work, I really don't mind if he never listens to us at all - this started as a fun thing for him to do. Once it's no longer fun for him I bet he'll give it up and either shut it down or sell it - in which case either we don't have it or we'll have to pay for using the site. Don't want to do this. So I'm all for TJ's fun and enjoyment.

THANK YOU TJ! biggrin.gif My family has a lot of fun playing with our dragons, and we'd not have this enjoyable diversion if it weren't for you. smile.gif

I really think it would be cool if TJ did a totally random time for the drops, and never the same time or same day.... But, other people ... want everything spelled out for them. I don't particularly care either way - I like having the new dragons!

A little while ago TJ started scheduling new release drops, and the new releases became more regular. Naturally after that there was an expectation of when the new drops would happen, and people started planning for them.

um not really

I ( and a lot of others) would have noticed LONG before midnight. word would have been passed and we would have been able to complain about how hard they were to catch, and the unannounced change much earlier tongue.gif

Edited by dragonpuck

Of course Mr. TJ, :she blows sunshine: We own our scrolls at your discretion, of course.

On another note, as the VP of Gentlemanliness, do you think maybe the late notice was a little bit . . . un-gracious?

So does this mean that we are going to be stuck with midday releases?

For me, it's hideous because of work schedule, but I will just learn to live with missing releases. It does concern me if this is going to be how holiday drops are run though since it doesn't give us a full 24 hours period.