Red2111

New release Feedback

TJ09, I think you abused your power and did a really nasty thing.

We prepared, we did stuff to be ready for the drop. So, maybe you should apologize.

Please keep in mind that TJ is an adult who has a job. I'm sure his job is more important than this game he runs. I know he would like to have this game as his primary source of income, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. So, he might not have the extra time to post about moving a release to a new time, in a timely manner. Granted, I do not know his current situation and I do wish he told us earlier than when he did. I'm wondering if this was a spur-of-the-moment thing for him.

So, I do not feel he was abusing his power. Real-life needs to come first. Although I am curious as to why he decided to move the release to a new time slot.

At least there WAS notice. Maybe short notice, but there was notice.

----snip----

Also, keep in mind that this is a game. UNLIKE your store analogy, it's much less hassle to boot up a computer where there's internet to be on for a release. Granted, there are some people that didn't know and got up early to go to a cafe for internet, but that's still not a good analogy for this situation.

My parents give us "screen time" passes and "stay up late" passes I get two stay up late passes a month. I saved one and used it. I could have used it during spring break, but I didn't.

I made space on my scroll.

Passed up a silver in the afternoon on Saturday. (I did go ahead and get the blusang, just couldn't help it, glad I did now).

I made a deal with my sister to gender an incubate two eggs for me, a future "hatchie of her choice."

I gave away a perfectly good egg.

So, I don't know, driving to the bank and then to a store seems easier.

P.S. I agree that real life needs to come first. I even addressed that in my post. If he had a real problem or interference, I have to assume he'd have been truthful and said, "I have a commitment that will interfere, I apologize, but the drop will be postponed until (insert day and time)." But that's not what happened.

I'm done. TJ09 doesn't have to apologize, even though he would if he were a standup kind of guy. He's got so many people making excuses for him that he propbably won't even see my post. I'm just a kid that plays a game. So done. Yep, completely done.

Edited by DragonWavey

The reason why fewer of these eggs may be in the hatcheries, if indeed that is correct, is that these are drakes and drakes and pygmies and two-headed dragons tend to hold slightly less popularity then the normal types.

As to notice and time change, I didn't really care one way or another. This is a game I play at my leisure, not a way of life, so I figured I'd get to the new dragons when I got to them. I do PREFER the original drop time because I could be on then, but one way or another I'll find some, so whatever.

As to the 24 hour drop idea, I fully support it, gives everyone, in every timezone, anequal chance to catch em, even if they can only spend a short amount of time of the day on. Also as to coding the 24 hour drop... I don't see as how it would be a problem exactly, I mean we get full 24-hour drops on holiday dragons, why can't the same coding be applied to any release? And I don't see the two-limit as an obstruction to this, as halloweens drop 24hrs unlimited.

So. My two cents. I'm out.

Edited by Psykotika

Being an adult and having a job should makes people more accountable, not less. More is expected of adults than is expected of college students. The slip-shod communication and last minute changes that were tolerable in a teenager are much less acceptable in a (theoretically) responsible adult. Some adults never are able to achieve that "responsible" level, sad to say. *thinks of several co-workers*. Hm come to think of it.... *thinks of the admins on another game I play and shudders*.

TJ should have given more notice OR postponed the change till next month. However, he's still young and learning, and his notifications have been getting better. A few years ago? We probably wouldn't have had any notification until someone contacted him directly.

I think, however, that calling what happened "abusing his power" and "jerking us around" is rather overly strong. That type of behavior is typically intentionally meant to aggravate. In this case... What happened is the same thing that's been happening for years, and is the same sorts of mistakes young adults make and (hopefully) learn from and grow out of. Eventually.

TJ probably sat at his computer, contemplated the drop in a few hours, and decided to make a change to try things out, and probably didn't give much thought to how the short notice would affect many people. He's done similar such tinkering in the past (*remembers back to when he was playing with the AP, and I swear every hour things worked differently xd.png ).

So while in the future, I strongly suggest that TJ give at least 24 hours of notice, I don't think there was any malice behind what happened.

C4.

My parents give us "screen time" passes and "stay up late" passes   I get two stay up late passes a month.  I saved one and used it.  I could have used it during spring break, but I didn't.

I made space on my scroll. 

Passed up a silver in the afternoon on Saturday. (I did go ahead and get the blusang, just couldn't help it, glad I did now).

I made a deal with my sister to gender an incubate two eggs for me, a future "hatchie of her choice."

I gave away a perfectly good egg.

So, I don't know, driving to the bank and then to a store seems easier.

That was a risk you took. TJ didn't make you use your "stay up late" pass. TJ didn't make you pass up a Silver egg or anything else. Things happen sometimes that, even with all the planning we do, it falls through. It happens. It's something you have to be able to deal with and move on. There could have been no release at all (which has happened).

You're lucky that it was only something as minimal as an online game. At least you didn't plan the perfect picnic only to have it rain out of the blue or something.

Hopefully TJ will announce things sooner, but honestly, yelling at him and demanding apologies probably isn't going to do much. I know that if it were ME, it would make me less likely to do so because there's no reason for that kind of behavior.

Many people here are upset about the time change. They asked for earlier notification, or even in the future to postpone things that are too short to notify for. They did not have such outbursts and demand apologies. Behavior like that makes the other party defensive or even lash out themselves. I don't mind that you were upset with what happened, but maybe next time responding more calmly and coming up with solutions rather than complaining will be better.

~~~~~~~~~~

All that said, TJ, if you're reading, I vote for earlier notice, too, or at least postponing the idea till next time. It didn't really bother me as much as some other people, but in general it's better to notify others ASAP.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

TJ had an idea. Too late - as he said, he'd considered Saturday but too late to DO that as then we'd all have logged on at midnight and find hours of hunting time gone.

Yes, MUCH better communication would have been nice - but as we all sit here slagging him off it behooves us all to ask ourselves - have we never made such a mistake ? The drop worked in the end. Different people missed it than usually do. But - it's over, and TJ has been listening and has posted.

I am not one of those groupie people diaveborn cites, who think he gets everything right and we should be grateful for everything, even the disasters (Marrows, anyone ?) But on the whole he does a pretty good job, and I really don't think ANYTHING in the game will be improved by people saying over and over how WRONG he was. The only absolute wrong here was the late notification. And I am willing to bet that everyone will in the end have all the eggs they want from this release.

TJ09, I think you abused your power and did a really nasty thing.

DragonWavey, *coughs*you really should not join a game I got fed up with recently*coughs*

In terms of an earlier notification I first would like to quote cyradis4:

Being an adult and having a job should makes people more accountable, not less. More is expected of adults than is expected of college students. The slip-shod communication and last minute changes that were tolerable in a teenager are much less acceptable in a (theoretically) responsible adult.

You know, saying TJ has a job whatever doesn't excuse him for not notifying the user base earlier in my opinion, DC has surely gotten rather large I would say?

It's a similar excuse coming from people who did not write you a short "congrats" email on your birthday and write you later, saying they're so sorry because they were "busy". It doesn't take 1 hour to put on your pc, log in and write a few sentences and shut down your pc? If they really wanted to do it, they could have done it!

That being said, I kinda welcomed the new release time.

It was 3 am on Monday here in Japan and I could catch eggs 4 1/2 hours later after waking up etc.

Weekends are for having real life fun and not for sitting in front of the pc. I used to go clubbing in Tokyo on Saturday nights and Sunday was used for sleeping but now that I am calmer me and my husband use the weekends to go out for one-day trips, hiking, karaoke, shopping. Pretty sure I can use the non-release time on DC for getting things done in our garden xd.png

Edited by Mondat

~ If you "want a warn" for a post, you should not be posting it in the first place. ~ Edited by LadyLyzar

I wish the drops would go back to being unannounced and surprises; or if not all of them, then at least some of them. Having new eggs drop the first Monday of every month gets stale pretty quick, and it makes the egg drops themselves seem less special and exciting. I still remember the excitement I felt when I saw my first Guardian egg, having had no forewarning that they were going to drop (that I was aware of). It distinguishes the Guardians for me in a way that most of the new eggs can't match because all of their egg catching stories start and end the same way, with lots of forewarning and people who get upset over the 'unfairness' of it all anyway.

While most of the new eggs blend together for me after a while, I still go back to gaze fondly at my first few Guardians and remember my mad grab for them when they first appeared in the cave. I feel like an old person for saying this, but that was egg hunting at its finest!

Taking away that spontaneity has taken a much loved element out of the game for me. I still find my way back to the cave because I fancy myself a dragonologist, but it's a lot more ho-hum than it was once upon a time...

(But I did enjoy the new drop time. It was a lot more competitive, and that made getting my drakes more exciting!)

Edited by boogietimez

I wanted to say that I have a TERRIBLE connection. It is so bad it's considered to be one of Europe's slowest and most expensive connections, and I can't compete with way faster USA connections, to the point I've given up trying to catch rares at all.

That said, I managed to stuff myself with five new release eggs (which are all I wanted) with relative ease. I don't think it has been that hard catching these eggs at all, but that might just be me.

2. You didn't have to make those choices. You chose to!!!!!

TO be TOTALLY fair, it is hard on someone who is limited to staying up late two nights a month, taking one out for that, and finding it was wasted - that's not a pixel thing; that's a loss of the chance to use that night to stay up late watching netflix or something.

My mate who went out to a bar at 6 am (in the UK) because she has no internet at the moment wasn't too pleased either. But even so, rage helps no-one.

Wow, seems like the feedback is not about the Dragon Cave anymore.

My only feedback about the April drop is this:

People love the eggs, I do. They are very pretty. I'm happy to have them. So thanks for the eggs and thanks to the people that worked on them.

It would be very interesting to know if the traffic was significantly different than the traditional midnight drops. What would be "better." I wonder?

Maybe we should actually DO the next drop at the same time, but with plenty of notice. Then the focus would be on the event, instead of the annoyance with the last minute change.

Edited by Gladtobemom

Wow, seems like the feedback is not about the Dragon Cave anymore.

My only feedback about the April drop is this:

People love the eggs, I do. They are very pretty. I'm happy to have them. So thanks for the eggs and thanks to the people that worked on them.

It would be very interesting to know if the traffic was significantly different than the traditional midnight drops. What would be "better." I wonder?

Maybe we should actually DO the next drop at the same time, but with plenty of notice. Then the focus would be on the event, instead of the annoyance of the last minute change.

Yes please smile.gif

I was completely fine with this release. And note that due to the time change, I had obligations and couldn't be on for the actual release, although if I'm here for a release, I'm usually one of those sitting around waiting for it - I love catching my eggs ASAP.

Both the midnight ET and the new 1 PM ET release are times when I'm naturally up. So when I came to check for the new release, the announcement thread was right there. Fine. Perfect time. I didn't panic thinking the release had been earlier and I missed it or something. Visiting a school right now, so I was busy at 11 my time and didn't make the release. I got back around 5 - 6 my time, so 6 - 7 hours after the actual release. New eggs were still super prevalent in cave (actually I just went to catch another one of the drakes and there were plenty around) and I caught mine lickity split. First eggs I clicked on. No stress of competition, easy to catch eggs at my own leisure. Even though I wasn't here for the direct release like I usually am, I couldn't be angry because eggs were still around so I had no troubles. I'm fine with a middle of the day time, though I agree, and TJ already said he was thinking about this, moving it to Sat/Sun so it doesn't end up on Mon for half the world. :3

Overall, I feel that minus the lack of communication and poor timing, the new drop time was not as bad as i thought it would be. Sure i had my fair share of mass clicking, but its not like we don't click with wild abandon during the midnight drops to try and secure our new eggs.

TJ, thank you for making the effort to experiment and try to find another good drop time. My suggestion is more communication and notifications to players. Overall I believe it was handled very well despite the notable set back (that being primarily communication). The drop ran smoothly for me and my friends as to us was a nice break from a expected cycle.The new dragons are lovely as well.

Thank you for taking your time to create and implement the drop, i'm sure it is not easy to change the drop hour (especially with the negative feedback :I).

And to everyone being (in my opinion) too harsh to TJ, remember he is only as human as you are. Words can be more hurtful than you think. And harsh criticisms that attack the person rather than the idea don't make anyone's day and better :\

TJ (if you see this) I want to thank you. This is not an excuse for the poor communication. Rather, I am accepting that there was a weaker link, but it is a learning experience. Now that we, DC users as a whole, understand that communication was and is an important role , we can work to fix it. The thank you is for trying something new. It can be a challenge, to change something that affects a vast majority of people. But you took the initiative, and tried anyway.

thank you,

-terminallypisces

I also want to thank the mods, who spend a majority of their time keeping everything on the forums civil and well maintained. You guys are an important piece to the forums as well. You have everything else in life to deal with (im just a high school student xd.png), and yet you are also here to monitor the forums. That takes work to balance. And I want to say thank you for it.

And PLEASE don't do this again.  I don't want to hate dragon eggs.  And truly, right now, when I see those moist and noisy eggs in the click sites . . . I hate them.

That's always nice to hear :'D

Anyway, DragonWavey. Can't you give your feedback without saying TJ's "abusing his powers" and "doing a nasty thing?" I believe people would take your concerns much more seriously if you did! :c

I highly, highly doubt TJ wanted to make your life miserable. He tried a new thing. He wanted feedback on the new thing. You can do your part and give feedback, but there's really no need to say so many rude things to him (and the new dragons, haha). He respectfully gave us a heads-up (though I do agree it being a little earlier on during the day might've been better!), so you could at least respectfully give him some feedback on his test.

I think it might also be best if you step back and relax for a little while to cool off? You've been at this for two days and I think it'd be good if you took a breather. ;;

Onto my feedback, now...

I didn't really like the release time being in the middle of the day! Seeing as though DC's time is also my timezone, it's really awkward having to wait around until 1pm, grab some eggs, and then go off to do my daily activities...o-o Granted those reasons all apply to just me, and I'm just one user, but it seems there are others who show similar dislike for the release time. o:

Also, what would this mean for Holidays, TJ? Would holidays still be released at midnight or would they be released at the (possible) new scheduled time? (My apologies if you answered this somewhere else, TJ, but there's many pages and I might've missed it D: )

I think the only thing I liked a lot about the newer time was that it was more competitive. But catching eggs in the middle of the day is...weird, at least for me. o-o The drop was, however, successful. It did turn out better than I thought it would have!

IF the release time weren't kept at midnight... and it had to be made sometime earlier during the day, then it would maybe be better to do a Saturday release so you don't have the release extending into Monday for some users on the far east.

But yes, in short... I prefer midnight releases much more than the 1pm release. IF the 1pm release were to stay (or the release were to change from its original midnight scheduling), then I believe the releases should be moved to take place on Saturdays rather than Sundays. But then you have the thing with people wanting to have a full 24 hours to grab eggs on their actual release date. >v>" Whep.

Edited by birdzgoboom

That's always nice to hear :'D

Anyway, DragonWavey. Can't you give your feedback without saying TJ's "abusing his powers" and "doing a nasty thing?" I believe people would take your concerns much more seriously if you did! :c

I highly, highly doubt TJ wanted to make your life miserable. He tried a new thing. He wanted feedback on the new thing. You can do your part and give feedback, but there's really no need to say so many rude things to him (and the new dragons, haha). He respectfully gave us a heads-up (though I do agree it being a little earlier on during the day might've been better!), so you could at least respectfully give him some feedback on his test.

I think it might also be best if you step back and relax for a little while to cool off? You've been at this for two days and I think it'd be good if you took a breather. ;;

I'm taking his opinion as seriously as I can, and as far as I'm concerend I'm part of the people that plays DC.

The last-minute change aspect of changes, especially to a release that should have been regularly scheduled and had been mostly going on regularly on the same schedule since last year, royally screwed up a lot of people's schedules.

I would not go over the top and say TJ is abusing his power, but a lot people who are played around like fools by the last minute change, me included, are at the very least VERY ANNOYED by getting played around like trash for the good of the "main audience", whatever the hell that means.

It's natural human emotion. You can't expect me to lick your boots after shooting me in the leg. It is against human nature to keep smiling and talking puppies and kittens and rainbows and unicorns when you're pissed.

I myself have been attempting to keep my tone neutral, but that's me. It doesn't mean that you can shoot down a post full of points just because it is by a person who cannot contain their emotion and disregard it.

===================================================

To TJ:

No one is asking whether THIS particular release is 24h solid drop because the boat has clearly sailed and the truth is that it is clearly not.

We're requesting it to be coded in as an alternative to meddling with the release time, because it is impossible to appeal to anyone with release time changes without screwing other people, while a 24h drop means that pretty much everyone can have a much more fair chance to catch the new eggs, as well as discouraging people from amassing during the first few hours due to the fear of another quick-mix release like Blusangs and coppers.

Edited by CNR4806

TJ had an idea. Too late - as he said, he'd considered Saturday but too late to DO that as then we'd all have logged on at midnight and find hours of hunting time gone.

Yes, MUCH better communication would have been nice - but as we all sit here slagging him off it behooves us all to ask ourselves - have we never made such a mistake ? The drop worked in the end. Different people missed it than usually do. But - it's over, and TJ has been listening and has posted.

I am not one of those groupie people diaveborn cites, who think he gets everything right and we should be grateful for everything, even the disasters (Marrows, anyone ?) But on the whole he does a pretty good job, and I really don't think ANYTHING in the game will be improved by people saying over and over how WRONG he was. The only absolute wrong here was the late notification. And I am willing to bet that everyone will in the end have all the eggs they want from this release.

If it's too late then don't do it, rather then throwing it in at the last minute, especially considering that the end of the world isn't likely to happen before the next release.

My goodness, is "it's too late, let's do it next time" really that hard of a concept to grasp?

If I were you guys I wouldn't bash TJ, and blame him for the problems, but instead just move on and hope the next release is better.

To be honest, I doubt TJ needs the income from this site to survive, he probably makes "bank" from his job @FB, especially with his great coding and engineering skills.

In summary, just be lucky that TJ is still maintaining the site and releasing new dragons every month and not leaving the site to die. I mean in theory, he can just close the site without notice, and I am pretty sure more people would be pissed of that then this muffled release.

If I were you guys I wouldn't bash TJ, and blame him for the problems, but instead just move on and hope the next release is better.

To be honest, I doubt TJ needs the income from this site to survive, he probably makes "bank" from his job @FB, especially with his great coding and engineering skills.

In summary, just be lucky that TJ is still maintaining the site and releasing new dragons every month and not leaving the site to die. I mean in theory, he can just close the site without notice, and I am pretty sure more people would be pissed of that then this muffled release.

This is a feedback thread in the Suggestions/Request board. If everyone HAVE to be "grateful" and bow down their knees before TJ's every decision, this entire board can get locked and dumped because it would no longer function.

The word "grateful" is in quotation mark because the word is quickly losing its meaning when it's being tossed around non-constructively accusing people holding negative opinion.

i was not at home, as this release started, but around three hours later i catched my eggs fast. so it had been ok for me. We will see by the next releases, if it will be always as good as that time. as long as i manage to catch sooner or later a cb egg of every kind, i'm happy.

on every online-game site the different people complain about nearly everything (wrong or right, not me to judge now). Maybe this consoles TJ. And it goes personal, where one person is "the boss". this is something i really don't like and which is not necessary.

DC was the very first online game i started to play and i hope, TJ has the endurance to go on besides job, becoming adult, founding a family and carreer smile.gif

I was pretty miffed when the time was changed so suddenly. I think we should have had the release as scheduled this month and then the 1pm experiment next month.

Other than that this release wasn't bad. I locked myself with seven eggs within the first five minutes of release. That's generally how it goes for me during midnight releases too though, I'm lucky enough to have a decent internet connection (30Mbps).

I would still prefer to stick with midnight releases though. 1pm on Sunday may have worked for me this time, but it won't always. Barring some kind of emergency, I will always be around at midnight. So, yeah, I vote for keeping the releases at midnight. smile.gif

I was actually totally fine with the time change. I do like the midnight releases as I am mostly up at night than during the day but fine with both.

One change I really thinks is needed is 24 hour drops. By now there are enough people on this site that it is needed more now than it was before. Back then it was easy throughout the day to get however many you want because there was less users now though it's different. More people from other countries are playing and should have every opportunity to get the eggs as anyone within the same or nearly same timezone as the release.

Even though I'm on the East Coast and have the same time zone as DC I prefer the midnight release to the 1 PM one. I'd rather stay up a little later than have to plan my day to be on line at the start of the release when it is in the middle of the day.

Dude... this thread is about feedback on the new release. We are not "Bashing" TJ or "blaming" him for stuff. We are giving feed back on the changes he made, and why we believe they were not he best choices that could have been made for the DC player population.

If the feedback is negative it is just as valid an necessary as positive. Negative feedback is often more important as when too many players get pissed off and leave no one is left to play the game.

I'm getting tired of seeing all the ignorant peoples who complain because some one is posting something that dose not match what their opinion is. Yes people do not agree with you. Are they wrong? who care! Every one has a right to their own opinion, and every opinion is worth hearing even if you do not think it is valid. Why have a suggestion or feedback section if there is no negative feedback to try to help and improve things that the people who play the game see as wrong?

-----

As one of the people who is on at Midnight for the release each month I have to say it was rather hard to be expecting new eggs and get a message saying sorry you stayed up for nothing... the eggs will be out in another 13 hours when there will be 4 times as many people and that much more lag as well.

The last time TJ did not have the release at the normal Sunday morning, Midnight he gave us an announcement in advance.. that would be the November ones. And when he was delaying the September one because the first Sunday of the month was the 1st it was a little weird so he let us know IN ADVANCE so people could set their alarms and such for this.

This time, he did not give us any warning... where before this he would... and that is why a lot of people are upset.

-----

When TJ originally moved the release to Sunday morning he has been quoted saying that he did this to help make it so that it was not interfering with peoples school/work on Mondays.

The problem with moving the release to 1pm EST is that for some people that is Monday morning... if the release has to be in the middle of the day it should be pushed back to Saturday so as not to interfere with school/work for people on a Monday. Yes people who work on Sat are affected... but right now people who work on Sunday are affected... as well as those people who the release was a good time, like just before bed time... or just when they would wake up in the morning and now it's at some god awful time that they can not get on for it until eggs are mixing in again...

If it has to be at such a god awful time the length of time the eggs drop with out blockers should be longer as well to cope with the extra people on trying to catch the same eggs at once and to try to make it easier for those people who have been displaced because the new time is of the drop is not accessible to their time zone.

Midnight worked well for people all over the world. This new 1pm thing appeals to a very slim amount of people, generally in the US thought I have seen a lot of US people saying it was bad because they were at work / church at the time of the drop.

Edited by Melisande