Red2111

New release Feedback

Exception or rule, the fact is that this sort of releases happen, and they happen without any sort of information about their rarity available (until it's too late), and obviously without any assurance of pure drop.

In other words, no matter how likely or unlikely a release is going to be a repeat of blusang/copper, joining with the mass on the very first few hours and clicking madly for my fill is the only way to play safe and stay clear off the guessing game called "Will it be Blusang-rare?".

Oh yes! I completely agree.

So, we work really hard to get our scrolls in shape to receive eggs, we show up just ahead of time, ready to rock and roll eggs out of the biomes.

That really made the postponement harder to swallow. It bumps up the IMPORTANCE of the start time.

Exception or rule, the fact is that this sort of releases happen, and they happen without any sort of information about their rarity available (until it's too late), and obviously without any assurance of pure drop.

In other words, no matter how likely or unlikely a release is going to be a repeat of blusang/copper, joining with the mass on the very first few hours and clicking madly for my fill is the only way to play safe and stay clear off the guessing game called "Will it be Blusang-rare?".

QFT.

I think that fear is completely understandable and warranted. People don't want to relax because it's happened before, it will happen again and we have no way to predict when.

@LadyLyzar: I actually said to edit it first to be more eloquent, but okey dokey lol.

Anyway, I'm just not really understanding why advanced warning was needed -- we knew it was going to happen sometime on a Sunday, and that was the end of it. 24 hours notice, yeah sure, would have been nice, but again, the entitlement thing. And no offense to anyone, but how is a full 24 hour (one day cycle all around the world) not enough time to get your eggs? I have failed to understand this.

Edited by Ashes The Second

I didn't require more of a "heads-up" time, but I work at home, so I can see how most people would need more time to know about a change in release time.

As for the release itself, this is only the second new release (aside from holidays) that I've been around to experience. I first signed up in time to get one new CB Christmas Solstice dragon last Dec., so I've only been here for the Valentines, March and April releases. Although the April release went just as smoothly for me as the March release did, I do prefer the midnight release overall, just because it's a better time of day for me, not so busy. So far, the hardest release for me was actually the Valentine release, not the new dragons, but the older ones in the AP, but that's probably hectic every holiday. Still, the midnight release is about 10pm my time, so it's just easier with less to deal with while I'm happily hunting. If the time change is going to be permanent, it should probably be pushed back to Saturday for those half-way around the globe to have a full weekend day to do their catching.

I've seen some posts talking about first day catches being more valuable? Don't know if there's any truth to that since I'm still new, but if that's the case then the midnight release would be best.

I'm loving how there are two breeds to catch so far. My ultimate goal is to have at least 16 CB total of each and every breed that isn't a prize, 8 male and 8 female. I'm looking forward to the challenge of catching CB metals. Hah! xd.png

It worked greatly. I like how the newer releases let the drop actually be a flood for near the 12 hours rather than 4, then it drops to a trickle.

I don't have a problem with needing a heads-up, it's the first Sunday of the month still right?

Anyway, I'm just not really understanding why advanced warning was needed -- we knew it was going to happen sometime on a Sunday, and that was the end of it. 24 hours notice, yeah sure, would have been nice, but again, the entitlement thing. And no offense to anyone, but how is a full 24 hour (one day cycle all around the world) not enough time to get your eggs? I have failed to understand this.

For the people who got up at strange times all over the world only to discover they didn't have to. For the schoolkids who stayed up very late and won't be allowed to do so again. For people who had actually organised their lives on the basis that it would be at midnight. (Even I - who liked the new time better, and am, at the moment on cave time, cursed mightily as I was VERY tired and would have loved to go to bed earlier....) - that sort of thing.

Edited by fuzzbucket

The only issue with all that is that TJ has said many times (and it is borne out by what I know of other players) that MOST players are not also forum members - so anything agreed on the forum in whatever way will NOT necessarily reflect the views of the entire player base. The base population is not therefore actually closed as there are so many who - shall we say - leak out the edges. And many who are out there thinking WTF will therefore never see what he says.

And no, everyone cannot be on forum - some countries actually block forums, many players are too young to be allowed here and so on.

That's true most of the players don't have a forum account."anything agreed on the forum in whatever way will NOT necessarily reflect the views of the entire player base.",I'll agree with that,if I have to.

Then how can TJ figure out if his change fits most of the players or not?Is it a way or just be his own understanding?

I just want to say,the players on the forum is a sample of the entire player,the concerns of the forum players more or less represent the concerns of the entire players.At least it is the only voice that tj can hear,and the players on the forums are the players who want to communicate and contribute.

I don't say everything TJ decides must have an agreement on the forum(we know,that's impossible).I don't even say that everything he decide must be agreed by MOST of the players on the forum.TJ has the right to make decision.

I just want to ask:What stops TJ from shareing his idea with us?He can get the feedbacks from us and it woundn't surprise us everytime or make a lot of people upset.

Edited by Mercury

For those of you who are going by the will it be "blusang/copper rare?", consider that others of us are picking up going by "will it be trio rare?". When I first started playing in 2009, I picked up one of each dragon per breed and had someone help me get one of each trio when they were released. This was before catchers were outright banned.

Later, I became proficient at catching myself and began catching multiples of breeds during releases due to rarity. I went years without seeing or being able to pick up trios in the cave. I traded for/ was gifted CB trios long before I ever saw or caught them again, so consider that rarity is not always an exception. I've experienced the same with the other two breeds--coppers more recently. I still only have two CB green coppers (those I picked up on the release day).

And much like the blusangs and coppers, the trios were only available for a few hours before mixing--never mind that we had only one cave. As such, with more space and experience, I've altered my playing style so that I can hopefully never experience what happened with the trios, blusangs, and coppers during a release again.

As for having advance notice and a full 24-hour drop (I'm referring to how the brute/ fever release was done, which appeared to behave like one, even if it wasn't) , some people are only allotted a certain amount of time to be on the computer or can only get on to play at certain times. Players have become accustomed to a midnight Sunday drop because this is what TJ established as the "norm" and so schedule their playing time accordingly. Advance notice is common courtesy and allows for any schedule re-arranging. Pushing the time forward and cutting off 12 or so hours of hunting makes it harder for the people who do not have the luxury of making it to the start of the release or the first day of the release at all.

And no offense to anyone, but how is a full 24 hour (one day cycle all around the world) not enough time to get your eggs? I have failed to understand this.

Did I miss something? I don't think anyone has said a 24 hour drop would not be enough time for everyone to get eggs. I think most people would welcome that.

I have seen the suggestion that a 24 hour drop might mess with ratios enough to make uncommons and rares even harder to hunt after the initial release. I suppose that could be bad (but for some of us we can't catch them after the initial release anyway, so not too much of a concern truthfully, not if we could grab our fill in the first 24 hours)

Just because the last few drops have been easy without a lot of mixing until near the end of the drop does not mean that this is the way it will be from here on out. The last release was for common eggs, and this one was for drakes, which look like they will be common also, based on the fact hat they still seem to be dropping with some frequency.

A lot of people seem to be kind of shrugging it off because even if they came to the drop hours and hours later they were still able to catch with relative ease, but I think if that were not the case, if the mixing had already started before they were able to get on and catch you would see a very different kind of response to the change.

I think if this had been a drop where mixing started early there would be a lot more outrage about changing times. As it is, 24 hours later they were still easy to catch, and the actual time change itself had minimal impact.

I have seen the suggestion that a 24 hour drop might mess with ratios enough to make uncommons and rares even harder to hunt after the initial release. I suppose that could be bad (but for some of us we can't catch them after the initial release anyway, so not too much of a concern truthfully, not if we could grab our fill in the first 24 hours)

Just because the last few drops have been easy without a lot of mixing until near the end of the drop does not mean that this is the way it will be from here on out. The last release was for common eggs, and this one was for drakes, which look like they will be common also, based on the fact hat they still seem to be dropping with some frequency.

A lot of people seem to be kind of shrugging it off because even if they came to the drop hours and hours later they were still able to catch with relative ease, but I think if that were not the case, if the mixing had already started before they were able to get on and catch you would see a very different kind of response to the change.

I think if this had been a drop where mixing started early there would be a lot more outrage about changing times. As it is, 24 hours later they were still easy to catch, and the actual time change itself had minimal impact.

I agree with that. I didn't watch the forum and didn't know there was gonna be an release, so I was kinda surprised when I found the cave to be completely empty. I managed to catch two eggs shortly after in the hourly drop because my scroll was stuffed. I don't think the time really affected a lot of things because after one day, I still managed to catch one of each on the hourly release. (I was busy yesterday)

However, I doubt this will be rare species. For one thing, Drakes can only breed with themselves, so in that way Drakes are already somewhat uncommon. None of the rares we currently have are Drakes/Pygmies, etc. I think this is because they are limited to breeding within their species and thus will make it even more valuable than it already is.

Anyway, I'm just not really understanding why advanced warning was needed -- we knew it was going to happen sometime on a Sunday, and that was the end of it. 24 hours notice, yeah sure, would have been nice, but again, the entitlement thing.

I have no clue why are people being royally screwed over by the lack of advance notice on a sudden change on something that has been conducted in the exact same manner for the last year are apparently at fault, and how TJ's failure to acknowledge the biggest problem with this change is not a problem.

Please elaborate, instead of throwing increasingly meaningless words like "(un)grateful" or "entitlement" around.

And no offense to anyone, but how is a full 24 hour (one day cycle all around the world) not enough time to get your eggs? I have failed to understand this.

Who the hell said that a 24h drop wouldn't be enough? Please point it out.

Most importantly, we DON'T have an actual coded 24h drop for new releases at the moment.

It makes me wonder whether you're aware of what's going on here, both in this thread and in the release.

Edited by CNR4806

To be honest, this drop was the easiest ever.

No, we don't have rarities beforehand.

No, we don't actually know if they'll massdrop or not.

But heck, what does that matter?

I mean, really, what's the fun in a release if we are focused on ONLY the bad things?

Did ANYONE notice that this was the first sunday release I was aware off that went without major lags?

That we could lock ourselves rather easily?

To the matter of rarity, from the over a dozend releases last year only TWO became rare-ish!

The time of release is a problem, because NO ONE can be made happy with ANY time.

What is the perfect time for me, is the worst time for you.

DC Midnight was Sunday morning for me.

(Btw, on the matter of short notices. You'd rather go back to the time where we got a 'surprise' release, with no set day at all? At least he gives us notices)

Edited by Hellen

To be honest, this drop was the easiest ever.

No, we don't have rarities beforehand.

No, we don't actually know if they'll massdrop or not.

But heck, what does that matter?

I mean, really, what's the fun in a release if we are focused on ONLY the bad things?

Did ANYONE notice that this was the first sunday release I was aware off that went without major lags?

That we could lock ourselves rather easily?

To the matter of rarity, from the over a dozend releases last year only TWO became rare-ish!

The time of release is a problem, because NO ONE can be made happy with ANY time.

What is the perfect time for me, is the worst time for you.

DC Midnight was Sunday morning for me.

(Btw, on the matter of short notices. You'd rather go back to the time where we got a 'surprise' release, with no set day at all? At least he gives us notices)

Really, everyone's experiences with the releases and classifications of what is rare are subjective.

For me, last month's release was easiest and it took a bit of effort this month to get what I wanted. It's clear enough from the comments in this thread and the actual release thread that others had a much harder time getting what they needed.

I don't think that people mean to focus on just the inherent issues associated with any drop, but that's certainly what is most discussed. If it weren't, this thread would not exist and TJ wouldn't be adjusting the gameplay.

And yes, I hate to actually voice this, but if it meant not having to base my playing DC around a non-holiday dragon release schedule that isn't going to be used, I would go back to a "surprise" release schedule. Even so, the "at least we have notices" argument is not a justification for the fact that TJ often fails to give timely notices regarding changes to a schedule that he decided upon.

Edited by Jazeki

Well, this is a feedback thread.

Not a purely "I think this and that is bad" thread, so I'll just give feedback.

Me, personally (yes, me, not others, only me), felt like this release has been more relaxed than the others. Less lag, despite there being over 200 users in EACH release biome. That's worth noticing, I must say.

The notices could happen earlier, yes. But if you don't visit the forums, it's a moot point.

Me, personally (yes, me, not others, only me), felt like this release has been more relaxed than the others. Less lag, despite there being over 200 users in EACH release biome. That's worth noticing, I must say.

I've seen users report lags as well as hard times to catch eggs in the official news thread, so this argument is not fully compliant to every ones experience.

That aside, Who's to say that the less lag you experienced has ANYTHING to do with the timing? Midnight drops sees as many people often, why wouldn't it lag at daytime but not at midnight? That does not make any sense. Either the servers can handle this amount of users, or they can't. There's no time-dependent value here.

And I don't give a hoot about how and when TJ does his releases, BUT:

If you give a schedule, you have to keep your schedule, or inform us of the changes. And I'm not talking about personal disasters, we all understand that its in the nature of things, that if TJ goes to the hospital for months, no one will get any drop for months.

BUT: Free will choices done by the admin should be done less abrupt.

Because there was (and is) no 24 hours drop. And TJ has said he never coded the release in that way.

And because people did fail to catch their eggs.

Because there was (and is) no 24 hours drop. And TJ has said he never coded the release in that way.

And because people did fail to catch their eggs.

People fail to catch eggs during every release. Not the same people every time, but still. I've failed to catch eggs during releases despite not only knowing when they would drop, but spending hours sitting around trying. And I've got a Great computer and high speed internet. I'm sorry for those with less luck this time, but I don't feel that it's a valid argument.

(Hellen @ Apr 9 2014, 07:52 AM)

I've seen users report lags as well as hard times to catch eggs in the official news thread, so this argument is not fully compliant to every ones experience.

That aside, Who's to say that the less lag you experienced has ANYTHING to do with the timing? Midnight drops sees as many people often, why wouldn't it lag at daytime but not at midnight? That does not make any sense. Either the servers can handle this amount of users, or they can't. There's no time-dependent value here.

And I don't give a hoot about how and when TJ does his releases, BUT:

If you give a schedule, you have to keep your schedule, or inform us of the changes. And I'm not talking about personal disasters, we all understand that its in the nature of things, that if TJ goes to the hospital for months, no one will get any drop for months.

BUT: Free will choices done by the admin should be done less abrupt.

Again, this is me reporting in in a FEEDBACK thread, and when I say that I have not experienced such things as lag, glitches, whatnot, and say that I enjoyed the time of the release more than a midnight release, then I am giving my feedback on how I felt that the release had been going.

Not what others do, say, want, whatever.

I'm neither sitting behind everybody's screen to control if what they type is right or wrong, nor am I speaking for everyone else but ME, to make that clear.

(Btw, if others have encountered problems, and are posting them in this thread, it's their right as well as mine saying that I didn't encounter any.)

Yes, I would have liked to have a little more forewarning.

But I'm not devastated that I didn't get the forewarning.

(giving me more work to do in the end in the chat, but still, it is still JUST a game for me, and my life's not depending on it, if a release happens later the same day or not)

I also experienced less lag, and was able to get eggs fairly quickly. This drop was easier for me than usual.

I don't have a problem with the change, and it would be fine with me if the new time becomes permanent. As someone pointed out earlier, this was a good drop to experiment with, since drakes are probably less popular anyway. Yes, more forewarning would have been optimal, but to be honest I wasn't bothered by the late notice, I just made a mental note to come back the next day. I can understand being annoyed, of course, but some of the reactions seem extreme to me.

I can understand being annoyed, of course, but some of the reactions seem extreme to me.

No lag here either (unusually !) as I said earlier.

But I do agree with Laura_Borealis. It is only a game, when all's said and done, and if anyone DIDN'T get the eggs they wanted -there are plenty dropping and even day of issue ones in the gifting threads. And I do mean GIFTING, not "give me your first born and 2 CB golds...."

I'd be curious to see whether there were more or less users on for this release, because a lot of people chimed in on the first thread in the News section to say that they wouldn't be able to be on for the release.

My feedback:

Advance warning for changing of release times should definitely be given. At least 48 hours to 7 days in advance, imo.

To solve the question of the release time going forward, I have a couple of thoughts...

One option could be that there coudl be a poll to let the userbase to choose the new release time: IE let people vote on it through their scrolls/through the forums. That way it's chosen in a democratic fashion and TJ avoids being 'arbitrary', etc.

Cons: It has to be convenient for TJ as well. tongue.gif

Another option could be that we have changing times. One month with the old time, one month with the new time...

Cons: It could be hard for people to keep track of, including TJ.

Anyway, I hope we hear in advance of next month what the new time will be smile.gif

Mostly bumping in to state that this release was the only release in which I had lag so bad there were numerous times the page wouldn't load, and when it did I had the Windows [?] icon for the egg pictures because it couldnt load.

It looks like I'm in the minority with this, but just wanted to voice the other side that doesn't seem to be getting much love. I doubt I'm the only one. : >

I too had bad lag during this release. I don't know how the midnight releases are since they are at 6 in the morning here and I grab eggs when people are already locked.

I don't mind grabbing eggs hours later, but this release was way too late. Late Sunday evening for me, past noon for US, Monday for the rest of the globe. If TJ wants to keep that exact time he should put it on a Saturday, IMO. Or try putting it hours earlier to try to keep it Sunday for all timezones.

No lag, I enjoyed the drop, honestly. It was very simple and I could watch as the thread developed, not after hours of people's potential spoiler posts. (I always left left out because I couldn't get up at midnight and just chat along with everyone else -- I usually get into the fun usually eight hours into the drop).