Shadlok

Lineage view change

Do you like this  

380 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't like it at all. It makes beautiful even gen lineages look and squished and messy. I hope it gets removed.

I'm sort of neutral at the moment. It depends what lineage you're looking at. X3

Although I'd still rather TJ had announced this (or, if it was a glitch, had said so somewhere) instead of going all lurk-ish on us.

I've no idea if lurk-ish was the right word.

Edited by cfmtfm

It's not gone yet?  D:  I was hoping I'd wake up this morning and find it'd all been a horrible dream.  Dammit.

I felt the same way yesterday and this morning... =\

Although I'd still rather TJ had announced this (or, if it was a glitch, had said so somewhere) instead of going all lurk-ish on us.

I've no idea if lurk-ish was the right word.

This is what I would like. Some sort of explanation as to why this happened. But he's ignoring it completely. I tried asking him about it twice last night in chat, as well as someone else, but like I said, he completely ignored the question. So I have a feeling this is just going to be one of those things he'll pretend never happened until people stop complaining and just accept it, sadly. *sigh*

Definitely not a fan of this change, especially for even gens. It trivializes the first generation in the worst way possible, by diminishing the dragons' sprites. Yes, some of the long-lineaged even gens require lots of vertical scrolling, but that's the nature of an exponential progression.

Even shrinking the entire lineage would be a better solution than altering only one or two generations. The current change makes completely regular lineages look unbalanced and asymmetrical.

I want to change my vote in the poll!

I started out not liking the changes, but now I like them.

Count me with Fuzzbucket and the others who registered their approval.

Wait, so it's been fixed on all/most lineages except even-gens? If so, then I think I can safely say I like it. I preferred it before the change, but I can get used to the way it looks on even gens. At least it still has a symmetrical look, whereas on stairsteps/spirals it just looked funny having the tiny boxes at the end.

I *thought* all my not-evens were back, but this one is still wrong and part of the appeal was the shape and now, not so much.

Not to mention all those holidays are now trivialized. :/

This looks a bloody mess now - that lineage was designed to celebrate even-gen projects from a large group of people, but why bother if those lineages are going to end up looking like a dog's dinner? I really, really HATE this change. Edited by Amazon_warrior

A word on Even Gens:

On a mobile device, I have to squint to see the first gen in tiny blob view.

Not the greatest screenshot but the size is accurate. See below, the SIZE difference between the first generation on a desktop and the first generation on a mobile device:

Mobile: Goodbye, Old Pinks. I cannot even see them! Why collect these lineages anymore? sad.gif

There are many even gens which rely on Old Pinks and Frills in the first generation. Old Pinks are what got me hooked on even gens. (See my sig!) You cannot even see how cute they are here.

user posted image

Desktop: These are slightly bigger but still too small. Still, note how these are significantly larger than the ridiculously small icons on the mobile version!

user posted image

These come from my pretty Pink, Lila Rose.

Edited by missy_

I assume the reason all changes on all sites aren't optional is because there's a point when it becomes a hassle to maintain all the various styles. So while I'd be fine with this being optional, if it has to be one or the other--I think the poll makes it pretty clear that it needs to return to the original look. I agree with everyone that altering the shape of just part of the lineage really throws off the consistent look, and even if all generations were changed to display like this I feel that having the text off to the side instead of centered would hurt the emphasis on the dragons. If anything about lineage is to be changed, I'd much rather it be in the form of wrap around text for long names or a minimize option.

I voted when this was first implemented as: AAARGH - horrible.

Now with the leftbound instead of centered names I think I can get used to it - not too readily but, well.

I just wish the new look would be consequently bound to gen 11&12 and not simply to the oldest gen in any given lineage - that way short lineages would still look the old way, and in those über-long lineages it looks the neatest and does the most "good" scrolling wise.

I still really hate the way this looks. I hope it goes back soon. I don't think I will be working on any higher even gen lineages any time soon, I see no point, you can barely see the first gen the way it is now.

Edited by annageckos

*Le sigh*. This is looking like one of those changes that isn't going to change back. I'm also not a fan of 'change the site, don't tell anyone you're going to do it and why, then ignore everyone that hates it'. Unfortunately, looking at the poll, less than 200 voted, and it looks like those of us that hate it are a minority compared to the user base.

While the poll only has 178 votes so far, 73.80% No, without any reservations, is a solid majority of the voters who are against these hideous changes.

Please, TJ, restore the old format!

I'm also not a fan of 'change the site, don't tell anyone you're going to do it and why, then ignore everyone that hates it'.

This is probably my biggest problem with the change (and how TJ runs the site in general). There's next to no communication between TJ and the playerbase, outside of token efforts that feel insincere given things like this.

Plus, he could have coded it so that the tables remain a constant size and have long names wrap, which makes this "update" both ugly and utterly pointless. It's not like it's a complicated bit of code, to my understanding.

Even shrinking names that are past a certain size would be better than this.

I've tried over the last couple of days to convince myself that it's not that bad, but every time I look at one of my prized even gens it only reinforces my impression that they just look terrible now.

If it's at least consistently left-aligned for CBs only on even gens only, at no less than the original smaller size, I guess I can live with that, though it still looks way too crowded and busy. However, the midget 10px images are stupid.

Perhaps the best option, though, really would be an option. And it wouldn't even have to be an account setting. Scrolls now have that dropdown that allow them to be sorted on the fly without actually changing the order. What if lineages have something similar, to allow selection of "default" lineage view, images only, or names only? Then people could have a more compact version for smaller screens, and it's their choice whether the priority should be the names or the sprites. The full lineage would also still be available. And the sprites would never have to be scrunched so much that they become useless. Win-win, in my book! And probably even easier to code than all the checking currently happening to determine which way any given lineage should be displayed.

Agreeing with the majority of people here, I don't like it at all. Actually, I REALLY don't like it at all. I really really really hope TJ might possibly change it back, but if not... Looks like I'll only be breeding 4th gens for the rest of my time here T.T

With all but even gens back to normal I kinda feel even gens lovers are being punished sad.gif

I am glad that the stairsteps and spirals are back to normal. I think it looked the worst on those. But I love higher even gens, and this really ruins them. I decided I wouldn't breed past 4th gen anymore, but then I remembered all my Halloween dragon projects and how I don't want to give them up. But it just won't be the same now. sad.gif I'm all for improvements, but why fix something when there was nothing wrong with it?

Edited by Maladjust

Joy. Guess I don't need to worry about the fact that I've only bred 4Gs of my checker, that's all I'll be breeding anyhow dry.gif

With all but even gens back to normal I kinda feel even gens lovers are being punished sad.gif

Yes.

And also, it seems that DC now *does* distinguish between different lineages. And it's *horrible*. I might not be as much of a fan of spirals and steps as I am (was) of even-gens, but I never felt like the *game* set a greater or lesser importance on *any* lineage, be it CB, even-gen, step or some n-th gen inbred tangle. I HATE that this has changed now. ):<

Edited by Amazon_warrior