nynaevesilverwind

ANSWERED:New Trophies

What do you think would be ideal?  

434 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It would maaaaaaybe only unbalance Halloween. Maybe. Christmas and Valentine's are limited to two dragons per scroll, regardless of trophy.

How would it make golds and silvers harder to get? If anything, this would give more space for people to breed the golds and silvers for gifting (there are a bunch of nice people literally giving out rares and such in some of the "trade" threads, and I'm not meaning messy lineage ones).

I see your point, and you are right about Christmas and Valentine's Day, but Halloween I still feel would bee very unbalanced with people grabbing 10 of the eggs and others getting none. Golds and sivers would be harder to get ecause more people woud be looking for CB rares to start lineages and such, not worryibg about being scroll-locked.

But you guys are the exceptions, not the rule. I think those numbers should be based more on what a "typical user" could catch from the cave and raise in a year. A gold scroll, working just in the cave, can raise about 50 dragons every two weeks. That's about 1200 to 1300 dragons a year.

I will probably top out around 1350-1375 on the year, not much beyond your estimate for a typical gold scroll.

If you put the higher trophies only at the level that such power gamers like you and rubyshoes achieve you put them out of reach for a large portion of the players. That would take a "typical" player like that 33 years to achieve your top trophy. I don't think that's a very reasonable level to set.

Maybe my numbers are a bit too low. I think numbers in 10's of thousands is far too high though.

I don't think I'm a "power gamer," and certainly not in the league of rubyshoes or some of the others with scrolls almost twice the size of mine. For the size of my scroll, I still struggle to catch or trade for any of the CB rares, and I don't know if I'll ever have a 2nd gen of any prize dragon. I do expect to see ruby's scroll hit well over 10,000 dragons next year, while I'll be extremely lucky to hit 5,000 at the end of 2014. xd.png

And Sci, I like gemstones after metals. tongue.gif

Precious metals are precious, but gemstones even more so. (not arguing, just stating my preference)

We are in agreement on the value of the gemstones, in relation to the metals! biggrin.gif

I see your point, and you are right about Christmas and Valentine's Day, but Halloween I still feel would bee very unbalanced with people grabbing 10 of the eggs and others  getting none. Golds and sivers would be harder to get  ecause more people woud be looking for CB rares to start lineages and such, not worryibg about being scroll-locked.

Halloween still really may not be much of a problem. It lasts all day. I remember getting 6 eggs within like an hour, maybe two? after midnight. And usually after the initial rush at midnight, people seem to calm down and it's easier to get eggs during the day. I noticed that quite a few people even left some CB Grave eggs/hatchis in giveaway threads, so it probably still won't be a problem.

Golds and silvers probably won't be any more hard to get than they are now. And it doesn't matter if you have more or less spaces, CB golds and silvers are hard to find and the quickest person gets it. It's not like they pop up every five seconds.

Which is why I suggested stopping at 8. 8 is an even number. It's a power of two, which is nice for making pairs. 8 is the number of cb dragons required for an even 4th gen dragon.

8 satisfies my inner organizer, who likes to have nice even numbers of everything. 7 drives me nutso. 10 is almost as bad because then I'd have this leftover pair.

With the AP as it is I'd like to see more hatchling slots more than egg slots. Except for that twitch I get from having an odd number of everything when I catch new dragons I don't think new eggs slots are needed. But hatchling slots have become the stumbling point to incu-hatching from the ap. Since they are common to the point of cave blocker dragons, typically, I think picking up more should be encouraged.

Which is why I suggested stopping at 8. 8 is an even number. It's a power of two, which is nice for making pairs. 8 is the number of cb dragons required for an even 4th gen dragon.

8 satisfies my inner organizer, who likes to have nice even numbers of everything. 7 drives me nutso. 10 is almost as bad because then I'd have this leftover pair.

With the AP as it is I'd like to see more hatchling slots more than egg slots. Except for that twitch I get from having an odd number of everything when I catch new dragons I don't think new eggs slots are needed. But hatchling slots have become the stumbling point to incu-hatching from the ap. Since they are common to the point of cave blocker dragons, typically, I think picking up more should be encouraged.

Oh no, I understand 8 in terms of the dragon breeding like that. But 8 just doesn't seem like an ending number, which drives my brain crazy. Dx

I don't even know what to suggest anymore. XD I think I'm going to stick with my "final list" until someone suggests something I like better. :P

No no, 8 is a perfect ending number. Because of pairs. Because of powers of 2. Because there are 8 bits in a byte. Because 2 x 2 x 2!

Fiona, I totally agree with you about 8 being the perfect number for the upper egg limit, for all the same reasons you have given. And yes, 7 does drive me crazy.

I don't think it is necessary to keep raising limits beyond that, although perhaps the hatchling limit could go up by one with each trophy level. I would be very happy with 8/24. And I am sure I would be continually scroll-locked, just as I am with the current levels. But that would also be true no matter how high the limits are set. So 8/24 seems reasonable to me.

But you guys are the exceptions, not the rule. I think those numbers should be based more on what a "typical user" could catch from the cave and raise in a year. A gold scroll, working just in the cave, can raise about 50 dragons every two weeks. That's about 1200 to 1300 dragons a year. And frankly, why should TJ institute a player trophy for a level 99% of the user base will never see? Something no one now is close to?

If you put the higher trophies only at the level that such power gamers like you and rubyshoes achieve you put them out of reach for a large portion of the players. That would take a "typical" player like that 33 years to achieve your top trophy. I don't think that's a very reasonable level to set.

Maybe my numbers are a bit too low. I think numbers in 10's of thousands is far too high though.

And Sci, I like gemstones after metals. tongue.gif

Precious metals are precious, but gemstones even more so. (not arguing, just stating my preference)

I agree with you. I got my gold trophy just shortly before Halloween and from that point to now I have gained over 80 more dragons. (Roughly two and a half weeks time?) So your 'two weeks = 50 dragons' is pretty accurate.

I also don't see the need to go off the wall crazy with high dragon counts. 50,000 is aiming a bit high and only reasonable for those who have been with the cave since it's creation. I've only had a scroll since early 2012 and with a number of 580+ dragons on my scroll getting the estimated Platinum trophy would take me quite a while to achieve.

I did vote to raise the limit to 10 eggs with a 30 hatchie limit. I'm scroll-locked right now with 21 and that's taking a bit of work naming and making sure all the young ones are healthy and not threatened with 'soft shell'.

I like how the bronze-gold went by a double-theme system. Perhaps there could be a slight jump from Gold to the next level, say 1500 dragons would bring you the next level and then set it to 3,000, then 5,000 and go from there? It makes it easier for more users to advance instead of just the seasoned Dragon Cave veterans like TJ and the Mods.

Edited by Syiren

I like the limit of 8 eggs for the same reasons already stated here, 8 is such a neat number. But really any number that wasn't odd would be okay with me, odd numbers of eggs drive me crazy inside.

I like the idea of the hatchie limit going up still after reaching 8 eggs and I love the idea of new freeze limits being linked to the trophies.

I do like the idea of the legend trophy with the little GON lol and why shouldn't the more obsessive dedicated players have something to aim for? How is it going to hurt the rest of us if they have some extra hatchie/freeze slots?

I do sometimes think we take this idea that everything must be attainable to even the most casual of players too far. Not everyone is a gold medalist in the Olympics, or for all you Americans out there not everyone is the star quarterback wink.gif

Why can't dragon cave have our stars too? Why can't we give little girly squeals if we see a Legand trophy?

Edited by Wiz

But you guys are the exceptions, not the rule. I think those numbers should be based more on what a "typical user" could catch from the cave and raise in a year. A gold scroll, working just in the cave, can raise about 50 dragons every two weeks. That's about 1200 to 1300 dragons a year. And frankly, why should TJ institute a player trophy for a level 99% of the user base will never see? Something no one now is close to?

Oh so *very* much this.

While I like the *idea* of higher trophies to shoot for, what fun will it be if it's so high that it'll take years to get the next trophy? If I remember correctly it took me roughly 3 years to get a gold trophy, and that was back when I was playing a lot more then I am now. I don't think the majority of players are the type of power-users who are always locked.

I'd love to have new goals to work towards, but not if they are completely unreasonable. (Perfect example: I don't even try for the GoN. I've seen how frustrated people get, going over a year trying without getting one! Not worth it.)

I'm actually in agreeable with what wiz said, especially if we do rewards other than just extra egg slots/archive slots. Besides I'm not one of those power players, and I'm excited about the idea of being able to aim for a trophy at 50,000 dragons. So instead of having them all just extra egg and archive slots, maybe make the higher ones extra kill/freeze slots.

Am tired so I might not be wording this well but I had a brainstorm I wanted to share.

I'm thinking of a system that kind of combines the two thoughts (the "it's good for super-dedicated users to have something to strive for" thought and the "it's good to have trophies that most people could conceivably achieve" thought).

What if you have the last trophy be something that to get it you wouldn't have to be one of the top players in terms of amount of dragons (but of course would have to put in effort). But then, that last trophy could have multiple sprites.

I'm thinking of one base sprite with things added to it, like a normal pretty dragon, then add stars above its head. And each star could signify that you went over and above the number of dragons the trophy signifies by a certain amount (exponential or linear) - so you still have something to work for and to show off (and the sprite could be made so that there's room for a bunch of stars, enough to have something to work towards for a really long time). Or maybe even there's just a sprite with no stars and the trophy base has a number on it to signify the number of times your trophy was leveled up, as it were.

And then other users, sure they'll be able to say "oh I'm never going to be able to get stars, or get to X rank. But I think it might not be the same as wanting to collect all the trophies and not getting to (I'm thinking of people who like to be completionist in their gameplay, for example). I don't think it eliminates that problem but I think it could be a good compromise between that and wanting to give super-dedicated players something to strive for?

I like that idea. make it diamond or platinum at 1000 dragons, 8/24, and then give a star or gem every 1000 new dragons.

Because 7... is a very odd number.

I appreciate your idea diaveborn, a good thought.

But for me, (personal opinion only) little sprites along the top of the scroll mean nothing. Rather, I find them very annoying.

Little images with stars over them would mean nothing at all. Yet I would still like some goals to strive for like everyone else. I'm approaching 5000 draggies, so where do I go from here? (and DC is my only computer game)

A couple of people have addressed the subject of how difficult it would be to obtain the larger numbers of dragons suggested. When calculating these figures, don't forget that if the trophies go hand in hand with larger slots, the ability to increase the total gains will be expanded also.

Edit:

PS I agree re the number 7... when it comes to collecting - mainly in pairs - 'tis like chalk down a blackboard.

Edited by Shamiir

i agree we should add more trophies for egg limits, like a platinum trophy.

adding more egg limits will help people ND and zombie, and even in halloween and valentine and christmas for old dragons.

I do like the idea of the legend trophy with the little GON lol

Not everyone is a gold medalist in the Olympics, or for all you Americans out there not everyone is the star quarterback ;)

Why can't dragon cave have our stars too? Why can't we give little girly squeals if we see a Legand trophy?

XD why was the quarterback comment necessary? Americans take pride in the Olympics, too. We get the analogy. And I think that a gold medalist is WAAAAY higher than a quarterback.

Okay I'm going to try this again XD Lots of people seem to like 8, and more hatchlings, and some want a bit more challenge. Also I kind of like the idea of a little GoN statue, still. XD

Bronze - 50 Dragons - 5 eggs/15 hatchlings - 12 Freeze/5 Kill

Silver - 200 Dragons - 6 eggs/18 hatchlings - 14 Freeze/6 Kill

Gold - 500 Dragons - 7 eggs/21 hatchlings - 16 Freeze/7 Kill

Platinum - 1,000 Dragons - 8 eggs/24 hatchlings - 18 Freeze/8 Kill

Diamond - 2,500 Dragons - 8 eggs/27 hatchlings - 19 Freeze/9 Kill

Mithril - 5,000 Dragons - 8 eggs/30 hatchlings - 20 Freeze/10 Kill

Legend - 10,000 Dragons - 8 eggs/33 hatchlings - 20 or Unlimited Freeze/10-15 Kill

bah I don't know anymore. That 33 looks gross and I wasn't sure what to do with Freezing/Killing. I was thinking of putting 32 instead since it would be 4 times the eggs.

Kind of think you could get unlimited freezing, which might be cool. Killing could stay at 10 or jump up to 15 (seems like a big jump but it looks nice?)

Current final answer from me?

Legend - 10,000 Dragons - 8 eggs/32 hatchlings - Unlimited Freeze/15 Kill

?

Current final answer from me?

?

I really like these numbers. They're high enough and spaced out enough that there's pretty much always going to be something to shoot for, keeping people in the game for longer (because if there's an actual goal you're going for, you're less likely to just get bored and quit). 8 total egg slots make me happy, since I tend to get my dragons in groups of four (even though I know how you feel, edwardelric - 10 would make my poor brain feel like it was 'complete). laugh.gif The idea of eventually reaching unlimited freezing opens up all kinds of good possibilities.

So. I like this. I vote for these numbers. Yes yes yes. poptartFINALTINY.gif

Another possibility is Unlimited Hatchlings. That way it doesn't seem like "hey it was adding 3 each time but then stopped!" or something. Could encourage AP clearing or something, I dunno.

Legend - 10,000 Dragons - 8 eggs/Unlimited hatchlings - Unlimited Freeze/15 Kill

? o3o

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I'm going to say no to unlimited hatchlings. I think that is just going too far. wink.gif Besides, if it clears the AP too much then it is self-defeating because the AP eggs become much less appealing as they will not be low time incuhatchable any more.

I'm going to say no to unlimited hatchlings. I think that is just going too far. ;) Besides, if it clears the AP too much then it is self-defeating because the AP eggs become much less appealing as they will not be low time incuhatchable any more.

Alright, I guessed maybe it was going a bit far. c: Just wanted opinions~

(Personally I preferred the 32 hatchlings, but I had a brief moment where I thought of unlimited hatchlings.)

xd.png why was the quarterback comment necessary? Americans take pride in the Olympics, too. We get the analogy. And I think that a gold medalist is WAAAAY higher than a quarterback.

Why are you offended? It was a bit of light hearted humour and not a dig. Having just finished reading a book about American football the subject was on my mind.

Why are you offended? It was a bit of light hearted humour and not a dig. Having just  finished reading a book about American football the subject was on my mind.

Psh nah, I just don't think it was necessary, since the Olympics thing worked fine enough and quarterbacks are hardly comparable to gold medalists imo. XD (maybe others don't think that but I do)

Edited by edwardelricfreak

But for me, (personal opinion only) little sprites along the top of the scroll mean nothing. Rather, I find them very annoying.

Little images with stars over them would mean nothing at all. Yet I would still like some goals to strive for like everyone else. I'm approaching 5000 draggies,  so where do I go from here?

*nodnod* I hadn't been thinking my trophy/sprite idea would necessarily replace any other benefits to owning more dragons.

I had actually thought of unlimited hatchlings, but didn't propose it because I thought it was going just a bit too far. In some ways it would be nice to have. Hatch all the AP eggs I choose, without worrying about running out of room? Yes, please. But yeah. A bit too much for the ap to sustain I fear.