nynaevesilverwind

ANSWERED:New Trophies

What do you think would be ideal?  

433 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

FIFTY THOUSAND ???

*faints*

How would you EVER load a scroll for breeding etc....

Would be a very daunting task. I think that would call for a rework of how the scrolls are laid out and accessed.

AP slots would modify how people play the game, FORCING those with higher trophy levels to pick up eggs from the AP if they want to maximize their egg hatch rate. I am very against that.

Before the current trophy system was implemented, EVERYONE had 4 egg slots plus a 5th slot that could only be used for eggs you bred yourself. Introducing an AP egg slot wouldn't be against precedent at all. Also, it wouldn't force anyone to do anything... no one's forced to "maximize" their hatch rate. As it is, if you want to maximize your hatch rate you've got to catch an ungodly number of Reds, and no one's against that.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of additional trophies. I'd love something new to shoot for in the game. As someone who is past Platinum and a little over halfway to Ruby, I definitely don't think the larger numbers are impossible to reach. It just takes time.

FIFTY THOUSAND ???

*faints*

How would you EVER load a scroll for breeding etc....

fuzzbucket, are you all right? Here's a cup of tea, don't panic! My sincere apologies to everyone who's fainted! It's a good thing none of us are there - yet! xd.png

Since the Cave has moved at least a couple of times to keep up with the server load, I guess I just assume that somehow, the technology will be there when we are. As far as my own bandwidth currently, I know it would probably be a pain, but this is the future that we're talking about. Nobody is going to have 50,000 dragons this year, or next, and I sure there will be ways to deal with it by the time we get there. I absolutely trust that TJ will be on top of it! smile.gif

Spelunker, probably half of my 1200 CBs have come from the AP, if not more.

Thank you! I like the idea of Mithril at 50,000, too. This really moves the potential for the game into the future, giving us good reason to continue playing for years to come!

The lower levels originally mentioned may look daunting to someone starting out, but for those of us who are already at those levels, they didn't offer any new challenge. As these newer players persist, I think they will begin to understand this too. I know there are many players with many more dragon than me, and I know there are several who have passed the 5000 dragon level.

As for those whose choose to limit the size of their scrolls, that is their own choice, and it is obvious that they have different game goals than those who want big scrolls. If they decide to grow their scrolls, they will achieve the trophies, same as anyone else who does the work. We all love this game, but just have differing ways of playing. <3

GhostMouse also mentioned a trophy of Dragon Horn. Maybe that's the 100,000 Dragon level...or maybe, the mythic 1,000,000 Dragon level! xd.png

Edited for a missing word! Makes a little more sense now! lol

I bet at the point that people were looking at 100,000 or 1,000,000 dragons, this topic would be broached again. I agree it would be amazing, but probably not practical in the present when we're still trying to get past gold trophy. tongue.gif

I personally would love more trophies, and I'm all for raising the egg and hatchie limits as well. I'm impatient, even with the incubate BSA, and raising dragons is easy. I'd definitely love to raise bigger batches at once, as well as do larger lineage projects. The way I see it, a higher amount of eggs means more people grabbing cave/AP blockers because they can. I know I'd be more inclined to raise a ton more dragons of the breeds no one seems to want in order to attain the next trophy.

Edit: I must admit I don't understand the resistance to increasing the egg limits. blink.gif The hatchie limits are high enough as it is on gold, and only attainable with incubate, and even then only for 24 ours or less, unless you frequently trade. In my view, more eggs at a time means those with more dragons will be able to do more with their huge number of dragons. I have no interest in the trophy itself, as such, since I'm more interested in having more slots to raise dragons.

Edited by Uigenna

You know that even with staying egg locked all the time (not counting trading for multiple hatchlings or freezing hatchlings as soon as they hatch.) it's only possible currently to raise about 850 dragons in a year? If the top trophy is set at 50,000 it would take approximately 58 years to reach it. Even if you raise the top egg limit to 10, it would still take about 41 years. That's pretty much unobtainable, in my opinion. You might want to rethink those numbers a tiny bit.

You know that even with staying egg locked all the time (not counting trading for multiple hatchlings or freezing hatchlings as soon as they hatch.) it's only possible currently to raise about 850 dragons in a year? If the top trophy is set at 50,000 it would take approximately 58 years to reach it. Even if you raise the top egg limit to 10, it would still take about 41 years. That's pretty much unobtainable, in my opinion. You might want to rethink those numbers a tiny bit.

But I have raised 1000 a year for the past two years, nowhere near a record, and there is someone on site who has raised 240+ in one MONTH. That works out to almost 3000 dragons in one year, (with the current egg limits, too) and with some players currently in the 5000 to 7000 dragon range, I don't think the trophy levels are unrealistic up to 20,000 dragons. Some could reach Diamond within 3 or 4 years, if they're really pushing it. At my current personal rate, I'll probably raise 1200-1500 this year.

All the levels I talked about above that were purely fantasy, just something to set our eyes on far horizons! lol! And again, my apologies to the fainters!

I think you're an exception though. smile.gif

Not that that's bad! I think it's fantastic. But for most people that level would be unattainable.

I think you're an exception though. smile.gif

Not that that's bad! I think it's fantastic. But for most people that level would be unattainable.

If one person can do it, anyone can. As long as you have an army of reds it isn't even hard. Not that I can be bothered xd.png

I think just Platinum at 1000 and Diamond at 2500 is plenty. I don't think egg limits should be increased, personally.

Exactly this. While some people have passed those limits, most people haven't. People will continue to want higher and higher trophy levels to the point that it just gets ridiculous.

I agree with TJ's veto of increasing egg/hatchie limits. Any higher and users would have even MORE trouble at releases. I remember the days when we could have 8 things total--4 hatchies, 3 caught eggs, and one bred egg. That was the only way to have 8. Without that last egg being bred, you could have 7 at most at a time. I think 7/21 is the most it should be, and that the limits should never be raised higher.

Exactly this. While some people have passed those limits, most people haven't. People will continue to want higher and higher trophy levels to the point that it just gets ridiculous.

I agree with TJ's veto of increasing egg/hatchie limits. Any higher and users would have even MORE trouble at releases. I remember the days when we could have 8 things total--4 hatchies, 3 caught eggs, and one bred egg. That was the only way to have 8. Without that last egg being bred, you could have 7 at most at a time. I think 7/21 is the most it should be, and that the limits should never be raised higher.

I still think 2500 is low for a trophy cap. I think that there should be something for older users to aim for. I don't see why adding something more is harmful to anyone.

Edited by Nectaris

I'm all for the idea.

Not that my opinion matters or anything, I'd just like to have more challenges and since I've hit my gold trophy, I'd love to have something new to aim for smile.gif

Excellent suggestion!

I would like the ultimate egg limit at 8. Simply because it has the potential for matched pairs. As in - we are going to get 2 new breeds a month, it seems - and that way we could easily have 2 mating pairs of each - and 4 matched Hallowe'en pairs caught by our own selves !

Edited by fuzzbucket

7 or 8 is not much difference in getting new release eggs or not.

there's always a rush on them, and some can get them easily, others don't.

whether people can pickup 7 or 8 won't change that behaviour at all.

7 or 8 is not much difference in getting new release eggs or not.

there's always a rush on them, and some can get them easily, others don't.

whether people can pickup 7 or 8 won't change that behaviour at all.

That depends on how many people have that level of trophy. It might not make a difference right now, but lots of people will eventually obtain that level - look at how many people know have Gold trophies.

And if the people who can grab 7 on release days can grab 8, then a. that keeps them in the middle of the hunt longer, and b. it's an egg the next person doesn't get...which keeps them in the hunt longer, and so on. So enough people with trophy X can make a difference both in the amount of time they hunt and the eggs that they can now subtract from the total available.

Not that I'm necessarily against an 8 egg limit, just that I don't think it can be dismissed as not having much of an impact when, in reality, it's just that it won't have much of an impact right now.

That depends on how many people have that level of trophy. It might not make a difference right now, but lots of people will eventually obtain that level - look at how many people know have Gold trophies.

And if the people who can grab 7 on release days can grab 8, then a. that keeps them in the middle of the hunt longer, and b. it's an egg the next person doesn't get...which keeps them in the hunt longer, and so on. So enough people with trophy X can make a difference both in the amount of time they hunt and the eggs that they can now subtract from the total available.

Not that I'm necessarily against an 8 egg limit, just that I don't think it can be dismissed as not having much of an impact when, in reality, it's just that it won't have much of an impact right now.

in the long run, people joining and actually playing make a lot more impact than higher trophy levels.

back in september i'd every now and then see the cave with less than 300 people in it.

in february, it was rarely below 600.

the rarity of eggs from the start, or the timing of the drops, is what needs to be better thought out/set, because if it happens surprisingly, at midnight, then the eggs will have stopped dropping even before some people realised there is a release. that's a lot bigger problem than the actual amount of slots.

with the black fridays, i was there accidentally when they first dropped. no problem at all in getting them.

with the speckles, i was sleeping. 5 hours later, you had already a very tough competition in getting them, and that was not from people who "did not get their fill in the first run", but from people who never where present in the first run at all.

mass new release drops imo are a bad argument against trophy levels, because no matter how big the scrolls are - there will be people left out just because they sleep.

in the long run, people joining and actually playing make a lot more impact than higher trophy levels.

back in september i'd every now and then see the cave with less than 300 people in it.

in february, it was rarely below 600.

the rarity of eggs from the start, or the timing of the drops,  is what needs to be better thought out/set, because if it happens surprisingly, at midnight, then the eggs will have stopped dropping even before some people realised there is a release. that's a lot bigger problem than the actual amount of slots.

with the black fridays, i was there accidentally when they first dropped. no problem at all in getting them.

with the speckles, i was sleeping. 5 hours later, you had already a  very tough competition in getting them, and that was not from people who "did not get their fill in the first run", but from people who never where present in the first run at all.

mass new release drops imo are a bad argument against trophy levels, because no matter how big the scrolls are - there will be people left out just because they sleep.

Yes, but the cave can adjust eggs dropped more easily for a growth in players than it can compensate for the fact that some people can take twice what others can. So if the cave drops X amount of eggs based on the amount of people hunting, if we get a bunch of new members who show up for a hunt then the dropped number goes up. But having more members who can take more eggs isn't really something the cave accommodates during the drops, as far as I know.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying it's an argument against the suggestion. It is, however, a valid concern that needs to be accounted for if we were to go forward with this, IMO.

As for the releases themselves, this is a relatively new phenomenon. There was a period where new eggs just kept flowing until the ratios started to stabilize. People hated that, so then we tried shorter releases. But this blending other eggs in almost immediately is very new and, I would guess, because of the plan to have regular monthly releases. If we're getting two breeds a month then perhaps each release won't be "ZOMG NEW RELEASE GET THEM ALL!", but more of an "Well this is nice - there's more eggs to collect".

So it will still be an event people want to catch and, yeah, there will still be an initial crush but, over time, there won't be this all out panic and ridiculous trade inflation and the like because it will become routine. That actually would play in to the extra egg space being less of a problem.

But even if we change the basic release format so that we have a set day and, let's say the eggs drop heavily for two days, the ability of more and more players able to take an extra egg will, eventually, have an impact. And given that the response to people who say that we should have limits on catching new eggs is that that's what scroll limits are, it wouldn't really be fair of us not to seriously consider what raising them might do.

Again, I think that it's a legitimate issue because, although it wouldn't be the cause of a lot of the dissatisfaction we often see during more recent releases, it would most likely add to it. And I am more and more of the opinion, as time goes on, that we need to focus as much on ways to cut down on frustrations for new players and those who are at a hardware/connection disadvantage as we do on extending gameplay for older players.

So while there's always going to be a learning curve or various issues that will make releases a little more difficult for a segment of players, I think that things that will potentially contribute to that should perhaps be offset somewhere else.

Yes, but the cave can adjust eggs dropped more easily for a growth in players than it can compensate for the fact that some people can take twice what others can.

How do you know ?

How do you know ?

I'm not talking about overall population, but eggs generated during a given drop.

If I remember correctly, the cave used to produce a certain amount of eggs given the amount of people hunting. I don't know if the biomes changed that, or if it takes the total number of hunters and splits the eggs evenly, or if it even still works like that. But compensating for a growing player population in a single drop would simply mean increasing available eggs to accommodate the larger numbers of hunters that show up - a fairly straightforward number, even as people enter and leave the cave. But compensating for new egg slots in a single drop would mean determining everyone's scroll level and and adjusting accordingly.

So if the cave dropped 1 egg for every 3 hunters, then more hunters would simply mean more eggs, with each player being equal in the calculation. But if we adjust the eggs in that drop by trophy levels, then each person becomes a different variable.

I'm sure that the overall amount of dragons adjusts to whatever space people have and how it's being filled. But the question being raise was about the specific release drops. And so while I think that an influx of new players increases overall demand, in terms of new releases being made harder on some people, I think that extra egg slots would do that more than new players would, which was the argument.

I am a proponent of larger limits, but I also have limited ability to catch in the Cave with new releases. I think I am not alone in this position, either, since I know I have seen comments about it from other 2000+ owners who don't have fast connections.

If I can catch in the first few minutes before everyone is onto a new release, I can probably catch my limit, if I'm unlocked. But Black Fridays, Tsunamis, and Speckles all caught me off guard. I finally caught up on the Tri-Horns in January, and I'm currently at 4 Speckles and 3 Tsunamis out of the 8 I want. And for the Brimstone/Olive/Blusang release, to my eternal regret, I focused on the Brimstones and Olives first because I preferred those colors. When I went to catch the Blusangs, the competition was so fierce that I never got close. I have one 2nd gen and NO CBs, and don't know how long it will take to get a pair, let alone 8. I have not benefitted from the massive quantities of Gold and Silvers I see dropping in the Cave, because I don't have the reflexes, although I finally managed to get the CB Blacks and Stripes I've chased since 2010. This is a statement of fact, not a complaint, and if you don't understand the difference, oh well! lol

That said, I do have 2200 dragons, 1200 of which are CB, and just as many ideas to go along with all of them. Extra slots as my scroll grows allow me to do more work on my lineages, as well as handle plans for random gifting and still pick up eggs as I need them.

Yes, it is frustrating to hear how someone may have picked up 30 of a new release within the first day, especially when they're trading many of them off for low time hatchies, but I'd rather have the extra slots anyway. I rarely want to drop what I'm working on to chase new eggs.

I sort of skimmed the thread (I should be working!) so I can't get into the discussion aspect of egg/hatchling limits right now. BUT, I do LOVE the idea of higher levels of trophies. It gives the user new goals to aspire to, and a visible mark of their achievements/loyalty to the game.

I have to admit, I love DC but there are times that things grow stagnant. I really look forward to the holidays because I know there will be a new badge to go along with the holiday activity. Call me shallow, but I love my badges/trophies. It's a "sign" to those that peruse my scroll that I was here for that moment, and my trophy is an indication of my dedication to the game. Yes, there are lineage projects to work on, but nobody looks at my scroll and says "oh wow, that lineage took a long time to make." Whereas a trophy that indicates I have X amount of dragons is an easily viewed mark of my achievements/dedication.

Sure, people can look throw all 40+ pages of my dragons, but I don't expect them to. I'd rather them see a special trophy that says "Yeah, I accomplished THAT!"

Even if some of the numbers are crazy high for the suggested new trophy idea, I LOVE that. I am one of those people that loves a challenge. I've played DC for 5 years, I don't think it's unrealistic to think I'd play another 5 years. Why shouldn't long term, dedicated active players have a new goal to achieve from the collecting aspect of things? 500 dragons was SO last year. Give me something new to strive for, something I can show off on my scroll.

I am 100% for this, and I'm not even to my silver trophy! This sounds like a great idea, and even though it will take me forever and a day, I really think that giving badges for achieving such amazing things with your scroll would be wonderful. I would also love to see the limits increase, but not past 10/36. I know some people think that this would create problems with drops and hoarding, but I think that the cave could be programmed to make that easier anyway. The number of people on is up anyway, so I think that's more to blame for the difficulty getting eggs, not people with a lot of slots. Also consider that the people with the huge scrolls tend to be the most generous to others. Is it really such a bad thing to give more to the people who give most?

But I have raised 1000 a year for the past two years, nowhere near a record, and there is someone on site who has raised 240+ in one MONTH. That works out to almost 3000 dragons in one year, (with the current egg limits, too) and with some players currently in the 5000 to 7000 dragon range, I don't think the trophy levels are unrealistic up to 20,000 dragons. Some could reach Diamond within 3 or 4 years, if they're really pushing it. At my current personal rate, I'll probably raise 1200-1500 this year.

All the levels I talked about above that were purely fantasy, just something to set our eyes on far horizons! lol! And again, my apologies to the fainters!

See, I've been raising about 100 - 130 eggs a month since I got serious about collecting them. Mostly because I collect lower time eggs from the AP for the various contests I'm in, and in the hope of catching lineages I need for various projects. For me, having the higher trophies would give me something to keep me active and interested in the years to come.