Lythiaren

Improving the Vines

How would you feel about a vine update?  

1,042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Any way possible we could keep our old sprites *and* have new vines, like was done for the pinks? I'd really hate for all my vines to suddenly look different.

This is how I'm feeling about the whole thing. I was planning on not saying something

until I read some more, but I couldn't help quoting this and adding my two cents about

agreeing with it.

I have a problem with this--if the minority doesn't have a say, how do we know who is the minority and who is the majority? How do the people with the unpopular opinion know that their opinion is unpopular and that they should therefore stay quiet? The minority should always at least be able to express themselves, even if no one agrees with them or respects their position. That's like, weird and dystopian of you to say. 2 + 2 = 5, anyone? What if the majority was opposed to what you want? I think your tune might change then.

I mean, I'm the minority here in that I don't care that much about updates and I think the artists can do what they want. I had intended not to say anything more about my opinion, but in light of being told I don't have the right to express it, I decided to repeat myself just because I'm contrary.

No, I mean what Zov stated. When this starts out, there IS no majority or minority - but those who actually take the time to vote in the poll (I look down on anyone who doesn't want to take a part in poll voting *glare* express yourselves! DO IT NOW!) show it over time. Right now, the majority is overwhelmingly for Vine updates.

Perhaps I should have reworded it to that though the minority has a say, it really isn't heard because they are the minority. Their whisper gets drowned out by the majority's shout.

1: EGG

I rather see the description change. I don't see the point in making a whole new sprite when the description can be changed so easily.

2: HATCHLINGS

Support the change. , as many of the main details don't match up, it make sense to change it for the sake of constancy. I didn't know the flytrap was a tail!

3: ADULT UPDATE

I'm meh on this. I personally never had trouble telling the dragon from the vines (except the tail). If it is just shading fixes and fixing the dirt, I don't mind. However, I don't want to much to change.

4: DIMORPHISM

I'm for it, as long as the female is equally as vicious and 'snarly' as the male. Not because I worried the female will be 'weaker' in any way, I just like snarly/mean dragons better in general. Passive poses sort of bore me.

Here is a crazy idea: Since some people are concerned with the female will be 'weaker' than the male, why not have the current sprite pose become the female, and add the new sprite as the male?

Edited by aangs-sister

This is how I'm feeling about the whole thing. I was planning on not saying something

until I read some more, but I couldn't help quoting this and adding my two cents about

agreeing with it.

I do not think that would be right for possible future users, it was a big let down for me to not be able to grab old pinks, and many users have already expressed against the discontinuing of the sprites. i can see your point of view if you are afraid that it could ruin your lineage, but the sprites will be changed heavily only for the females n you could still keep the males almost unchanged.

I do not think that would be right for possible future users, it was a big let down for me to not be able to grab old pinks, and many users have already expressed against the discontinuing of the sprites. i can see your point of view if you are afraid that it could ruin your lineage, but the sprites will be changed heavily only for the females n you could still keep the males almost unchanged.

I can support that. I mean, if one gender was changed and the other was left alone

would be fine with me. But I'd also like the hatchies to stay the way they are.

The current sprite won't work for the female as lyth already stated what differences would occure between the two genders. The female has larger leaves for starters.

Any way possible we could keep our old sprites *and* have new vines, like was done for the pinks? I'd really hate for all my vines to suddenly look different.

But the pinks are an entirely different dragon. Lythiaren has said herself that the changes to the current sprite would be very minor, just a few small touch ups and tweaks, so I imagine the difference wouldn't be anything more than the new horse sprite from the old one. It's a completely different situation from the pinks and I don't think that the same solution would make sense in this case.

An overwhelming majority of people love the new horse update, so I'm sure that if minor changes were made to the vine in a similar manner, the majority of people would be happy. I'm all for this and I'm excited to potentially see the new sprites. smile.gif

The only thing I don't support so much is the description change. I don't think it's that necessary since the description doesn't say that you have to pick up the flowers and take them with you. rolleyes.gif Though I don't really get why people complained in the first place. In my mind it makes sense. tongue.gif

Well, if i remember correctly, lythiaren said that she would ask TJ the permission to post the sketches (i think it was in one of the first posts, but i'm not sure), so before saying anything i'd wait for those, as they may be even better than the old ones ( that are just a copy paste of a red hatchie, but with vines). I'd love to see them differentiated, but i can understand users that have been on dragcave for a longer time and would rather have them stay as they are v.v

Edited by jetcomb

The only thing I don't support so much is the description change. I don't think it's that necessary since the description doesn't say that you have to pick up the flowers and take them with you. rolleyes.gif Though I don't really get why people complained in the first place. In my mind it makes sense. tongue.gif

That's what I thought about them too, but people have complained about it in the past. It's because even after you've picked up the egg, it still says on the view page that it's sitting in a patch of flowers. The blue has its puddle, so why not flowers for the vine? People just wanted the image to match the description. I mean, if the description isn't describing something about the egg, it's not a very good description, right? :3

Not sure what the big difference would be between changing the descriptions and changing the sprite, really. The former is easy because it's just a little typing, but the latter is a simple matter of replacing a file. Eggs with plants around them (very good eggs, at that!) have already been made by people, so it's just a matter of which option we take.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, really. Change the description and people will have to adjust to it, but it will line up with the breed description better. Change the image and people will probably adjust to it rather quickly, but it won't line up as nicely with the breed description.

Edited by Lythiaren

I'm all for this idea. Male and female sprites for the win! (I would enjoy if every species had this, though from what I read, not everyone loves it.)

I see the vines as the dragons lying in wait for something to walk near them then BAM! Dinner is ready.

The sprite right now is (in my eyes) is attacking something off screen, because its hungry and was lying in wait. If the changes happen, I think that the female would just be waiting for the unsuspecting animal or person to stumble on its hunting area, well hidden in the land, being a sneaky, dangerous hunting animal. That can snap at any moment.

The majority always wins. Its how it is in everything, including presidental elections. The minority may see it as being unfair but in truth, it is fair because more people wanted it than those who did not.

That's called the tyranny of the majority or mob rule, and it's inaccurate on all counts. If 51% of the people voted to enslave 49% of the people, it would not be 'fair' just because more people wanted it, and in the US, the majority does not elect the President.

In a vote like this? The majority ultimately has no say, it's just Lyth getting a feel for what the forum wants. Up to her to listen, though the fact that she put the poll up in the first place gives the impression she probably will give the results consideration.

On topic, as far as the egg description goes, that makes no never mind to me; I'll adjust just fine if the text is changed, I'd be delighted if the egg changed, but I'd really love it if they matched one way or the other.

Well the poll says 82.71% of voters as of right now agree with the plan in its current form, so... I'd hope I'm doing something right. :x

Because I will sadface at everything forever if there's a particularly huge amount of shouting after this is all done. I anticipate some, as is the case with all changes, but... :(

Edited by Lythiaren

If this does happen, is it at all possible to "save" our old sprites the way they are now? Like the pinks, just have a new sprite but also get to have the old one? I really really love the Vine hatchlings *just* like they are now.

<3 I'm sure the end result will be awesome, Lyth. You do great work - and I'm so looking forward to seeing your revamp/additions to the breed now that you've got more freedom to work with colors and such!

Personally, I do think that either an adjustment to the egg or the description would work fine in the end, though I have a slight inclination toward seeing a new egg sprite rather than change to the wording. Mostly just 'cause I like pretty eggs, and I think the potential with adding flowers/plants could be neat. ^^

Personally, I do think that either an adjustment to the egg or the description would work fine in the end, though I have a slight inclination toward seeing a new egg sprite rather than change to the wording. Mostly just 'cause I like pretty eggs, and I think the potential with adding flowers/plants could be neat. ^^

Same here, although I prefer a tweak to the egg because I like how the Vine's longer description makes it stand out - I instantly know what I'm clicking. XD

Because I will sadface at everything forever if there's a particularly huge amount of shouting after this is all done. I anticipate some, as is the case with all changes, but... sad.gif

You're right to anticipate shouting. Tons of people will never notice this thread, the same way tons of people didn't notice the gold thread, and that's not even considering the players who don't use the forums at all. Everyone will notice when the dragons get an update, though.

The forums are too disjointed from the main site, is the problem. There needs to be a newsfeed or notice board or something, so that attention can be brought to stuff like this.

You're right to anticipate shouting. Tons of people will never notice this thread, the same way tons of people didn't notice the gold thread, and that's not even considering the players who don't use the forums at all. Everyone will notice when the dragons get an update, though.

The forums are too disjointed from the main site, is the problem. There needs to be a newsfeed or notice board or something, so that attention can be brought to stuff like this.

You'd have to revamp on line gaming as we know it. There isn't a game out there where the majority of the players will read the forums.

Then just look at our forums, we have topics like abortion in general discussion. I don't blame people who don't allow their kids an account here. I don't even set foot in general, just the topics I see on the recent posts header are enough to chase me off.

Having a news feed on top of the forum link in the game header just sounds like more lag that wouldn't change anything.

To keep this on topic, I still think changing the description would be better to keep in line with the breed not being a magic user then changing the egg sprite. Looks to me that some of the objection to a description change is wanting to perpetuate the fact, "if there is a really long description, click the uncommon/rare". Shorter line would mess them up and I think not a really valid reason to switch the egg sprite.

If this does happen, is it at all possible to "save" our old sprites the way they are now? Like the pinks, just have a new sprite but also get to have the old one? I really really love the Vine hatchlings *just* like they are now.

Did... we not say anything regarding this in the past two pages? The alt hatchlings will remain untouched so those who like the current incarnation can still get something very similar.

I guess I don't see the point in perpetuating the BP-type situation? :|a

Edited by Lythiaren

Well the poll says 82.71% of voters as of right now agree with the plan in its current form, so... I'd hope I'm doing something right. :x

Because I will sadface at everything forever if there's a particularly huge amount of shouting after this is all done. I anticipate some, as is the case with all changes, but... :(

There probably will be some grouching, but I suspect that the poll is reflective of how much, which is to say, not much. Hopefully what shouting is inevitable won't be loud.

Because I will sadface at everything forever if there's a particularly huge amount of shouting after this is all done. I anticipate some, as is the case with all changes, but... sad.gif

The only other thing I can think of is for you to maybe put it in your signature :? Then it's wherever you post on the forums, basically.

But really, that's being very nice... I don't understand people who don't glance at this board at least once a week or month.

My only problem with the changes is I prefer the current red on the male sprite to the red on the updated sprite of way back when. And that is so much a non issue that I don't feel the need to complain about it.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me if the egg or the egg description changes.. but I'm seeing a lot of posts that prefer the current description.. so I have a suggestion.....

Lyth's explanation says that the egg description is misleading because the baby vines don't have good control over their own vines yet and if they are sitting on plants and flowers they would have problems.. sooooooo...

... make a VERY minor change to the egg description..

"This egg seems to be sitting in a patch of grass and small flowers even though there's no sun in the cave."

... then make a new egg sprite (which also seems to be preferred by the majority) that has the plants and flowers coming out of the egg, not out of the ground.

This way we get the best of both sides... the description won't really change much AND we get a new egg sprite. Would this work?????

@ Lyth: People will shout, that's a given. And those that do will shout as loud as they can. But don't let that make you feel bad! You really are going way out of your way to please everyone you can. Not only do we get a big heads up, but you're taking public opinion into heavy consideration to dictate the changes. I'm sure I'm not the only one that really appreciates that! laugh.gif

@Cinnamin:Sounds good to me. Especially the change in description. Fits better than the current, in my opinion.

@kerrikins: Good idea, actually. Every bit helps, right? *adds thread link to sig*

I am looking forward to seeing the new vines. :u Hell I'd be delighted if the vine alts were similarly updated to take advantage of the lifting of color palette restrictions but I understand people getting touchy about loving the old style.