Lythiaren

Improving the Vines

How would you feel about a vine update?  

1,042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I fully support the changes listed in the OP. I think they'd make the vine dragons much more appealing. Though for the record, I've never had a problem seeing the dragon's head. Maybe my moniter has a different brightness setting than other people.

As for dimorphism, I think the sneaky look or the snarly look would be equally great for the female, so I don't really have a preference.

Lythiaren, this is going to sound kind of random but do you think you might consider one additional change to the vine dragons?

I'd love to see their breed name officially changed from "Dark Green Dragons" to "Vine Dragons." Most people call them "Vine Dragons" or "Vines", and it's a more succinct name than "Dark Green" and the name does a better job of telling us about the breed.

Sadly that is a thing for a TJ. Like trying to get light blue dragons changed to waters. sad.gif

I voted to agree with part of the plan.

I would love a new hatchie. For sure, PLEASE make a new hatchie! smile.gif

But, please don't change the adult too much. I love it! I like to think he burrowed part way under but could get his tail end through and came back up. tongue.gifhappy.gifxd.png The shading and stuff I don't mind, but I really don't want him to change his position too much. sad.gif

Also dimorphism would be sweet! biggrin.gif A sneaky female would be epic! biggrin.gif

WOW the results of the poll are quite dramatic!

I voted “I support only part of this plan” and the reasoning is as follows...

1. Egg Sprite/Description – SUPPORT

Haha this has pestered me for a long time and I would be happy to see the description changed to read that the egg was found in a patch of grass and small flowers.

2. Hatchlings – SUPPORT

I have no issues whatsoever with a redesign of the hatchling given the history behind it. I think that is fair to correct the hatchling to match the design of your adult sprite and then keep the alt the way it is as it already matches Silvanon’s adult.

3. Current Sprite – PARTIALLY SUPPORT

A recolour is no issue. A redesign is another matter for which I am struggling to visualise the proposed changes and therefore am unsure if I support.

In principle I don’t want all the existing dragons redesigned/updated etc. I believe in evolution and overtime our sprites are evolving but there is value in keeping relics of the past. I mean really species such as crocs, sharks and lizards have existed almost unchanged for thousands of years and I think as a community and TJ as the founder of DC we should (and should want to) preserve as many sprites as we can in their original form.

I actually like the idea that it isn’t completely clear distinguishing the dragon from its vines. Although I never noticed the flytrap as being the dragons tail, aside from that I think the dragon is easy to identify in the foreground of the vegetation behind.

What the vine dragon & his alt counterpart mean to me:

Lying in wait, seemingly entangled in vines amidst the soil and undergrowth. Perfect camouflage. I have visions of other creatures coming across the dragon unknowingly, fossicking amongst the foliage. A flower, a vine, or is it? Is that a tail? And then BAM! She strikes like a snake, either with her ferocious jaws or her constricting vines, drawing her freshly caught prey deep into the heart of her vine lair for her to devour. Or him xd.png

All that said Lythiaren, I would completely respect your decision to change the sprite, be it an improvement in my eyes or otherwise. All dragons have a place on my scroll when I can eventually collect them all.

4. Dimorphism (female) – DON’T SUPPORT

I love dimorphism as I posted in the dimorphism thread BUT I don’t want all my dragons to be dimorphic, especially those already released in the cave. As above, I would completely respect your decision to create a dimorphic sprite for the female.

5... I like Renorei's suggestion to change the name to "Vine dragons". I refer to them as that haha

To throw a spanner in the works I have a new suggestion: perhapys Lythiaren you could develop your own alt? That way the existing dragons could be maintained as they are. And to be more tricky, like the nebs the alt isn't noticable until the hatchy genders... and maybe the alt could be female only (there's your dimorphism wink.gif) haha ok I'm gonna quit before I shoot myself in the foot.

I would love to see these guys touched up and am interested to see what lady vine might be like.

I dont think the eggs need a description change, because its logical that the eggs would be laid in the patches of green, but i suppose an update to the egg description could be ok.

I dont want to see massive changes to the existing adult, but recoloring/touching up would play a big change in them. My biggest problem with them has always just been that I couldnt make heads or tails of what goes where, i imagine the color limits and my own colorblindness are the biggest reasons for it.

in regards to the hatchy: i would miss the older base sprite that is hiding. I love that the older sprites shared the same base, but with everything else in this game, I will learn to adjust and love anything new as much as i do now.

Personally I like the described changes , but with the blowup over the new Golds, I am wondering if it might be possible to keep the old and have new as well???? We have the "old" pink ( not as many as we would like dry.gif ) .She did not change when the new pinks were introduced, she just breeds "new" pinks.

How about, New updated vines in what ever form the artist desires( it is after all her art), but the old ones stay as they are on our scrolls?

True, new people would not have them, but they don't have frills or old pinks either- such is life-

This way we have history and progress both. biggrin.gif

In any case, I very much doubt that there will ever be changes made to the Holly, thus the old "generic" hatchie will be preserved!

True, new people would not have them, but they don't have frills or old pinks either- such is life-

Personally, I think frills and old pinks is already too many discontinued sprites that new players can never have. I don't want any more unobtainable sprites, so I don't support having an "old vine" and a "new vine".

It's not like I'm redesigning them anyway. I'm having trouble seeing how people are thinking that, assuming they read the first post...?

To cast my vote for day/night sprites in case that plan is developed any further.

I'm against it. It makes sense for the Nocturnes because it is their main defining feature. But Lyth said the Vines are much like cats in terms of activity, so I don't see a reason. And the Nocturnes are glitchy like no other dragon in the cave. Why make things more complicated than they need to be.

Pleasing everyone isn't possible, even if the sprites changed every hour. I appreciate that you're taking our wishes into consideration, that is really all we could ask for, but please don't make yourself unhappy over it smile.gif

It's not like I'm redesigning them anyway. I'm having trouble seeing how people are thinking that, assuming they read the first post...?

It's probably just a matter of people seeing the Gold overhaul and assuming that any sprite update is going to be like that.

Personally, I think frills and old pinks is already too many discontinued sprites that new players can never have.  I don't want any more unobtainable sprites, so I don't support having an "old vine" and a "new vine".

Agreed. Please, no more Bright Pink/Frill situations. *growls at the thought* I, for one, am GLAD that every single Gold changed instead of it retiring for new ones. While it's nice to preserve history, it takes away one huge charm of DC to me - the ability for everyone to obtain every sprite somehow, no matter when they joined. Old Holidays breed so new users get them even though they're not CB, and I love this. Frills and Bright Pinks, though nice to have, are the forever boon to anyone who joined after their retirement. *raises hand*

And with Lyth clarifying that this is just an update and not a full redesign, I don't even see much of a point to this. Would I like to keep my current Vines and have new ones? Yes. Yes I would. But I have at least 4 CB Vines, and many, many PB EG Vines. So I'm biased in that a retirement of the old while keeping the ones already obtained could only benefit me. Note here, I'm voting against my own benefit in favor of preventing something that I hate from the past.

Back on track - What are my Vines like? The other dragons generally stay the censorkip.gif away! They know these viscous vicious dragons will kill them given the chance, and a large area of concentrated growth indicates the dangerous part of the cave where they live. Very few dare to tame them enough to mate with them. Due to this, Vines are one of two "special" breeds on my scroll. I will not breed Mints with anything other than Mints for reasons irrelevant to this thread (tongue.gif), and I rarely breed Vines with non-Vines because I see them as a viscous vicious, solitary breed that require a brave and capable soul to even get close to them. And I love this about them. Hence the large number of PB Vines I've bred as opposed to VineX(Insert pretty mate here). Er- alts help, too, but like I said, I love the normals. Granted, I formed this from the breed description and I know it may not be 100% accurate to the concept, but you asked what our Vines are like! xd.png

(Also, if the alternating sprite isn't completely dead yet, there'd the idea of them being like your avatar and rotating randomly upon refresh. They's be the only truly active breed in the cave! Although I'm probably beating a dead horse that I've pretty much abandoned support for myself after thinking about it)

Edit: Darn it, spell check! I knew I had the right word. Why'd you say otherwise?! *mumbles* (Thanks for the correction, and the vocab lesson xd.png )

Edited by AlternateMew

Updated hatchy sprites - squeeeee, yes please! biggrin.gif

A sneakly murder you female dimorphisn sprite - yes please x10 with whipped cream and cherry!

A new egg description? I am not sure about that. Tough the easiest way to fix it I do not think it is worth the drama it will cause. Isn't it possible to just let it stay as it is?

EDIT (as I have not read the full 15 pages before psoting my oppinion xd.png) : please no more retired sprites. It is sad enough how often I have to explain to a noob that they never can have bright pinks and frills. I rather the vine did not get an update at all than increasing the sprite count that is exclusive to the older users.

Edited by Shanthaia

Oh dear, viscous? Vines are thick goo? tongue.gif

But yeah you're pretty much bang on with their nature. They're not easy to befriend, they're short of temper and they're generally the kind of dragons anyone else would generally want to avoid.

... I seem to have forgotten to count votes yesterday. I'll do it after class.

EDIT: I am counting now! If you did not say explicitlly that you would like one or the other (describing how you think they hunt doesn't really count because it involves both sneakying and angrying!), I will not count you until you do.

Edited by Lythiaren

I am counting now! If you did not say explicitlly that you would like one or the other (describing how you think they hunt doesn't really count because it involves both sneakying and angrying!), I will not count you until you do.

I vote for angrying, in that case. Would visually match the male better and, IMO, appease both the people for dimorphism and against [if they look similar, they arent too 'different'. ..... dur?].

I have 18 for sneaky and 18/19 for snarly. One looked kind of ambiguous but leaned toward snarly.

This vote too close to decide. :(

I will try to draw snarlyface anyway, make the sprite, and put it up to a vote then. Perhaps seeing them in sprite form will change the results to something more decisive. :3

Edited by Lythiaren

What about her in the middle of withdrawing back into the plant right after lashing out? So she could still have her jaws in a hiss and a claw or something stretched out, but part of her concealed in the bushes still?

Like, "I missed you on purpose. If you're not gone in two-point-five seconds, you're dead." And all glaring/seething/about to strike again snarlyface

Murr? Just in case this was skipped.

Might help with merging both sprites. -shrug-

That was an idea, yes. And if I can get it to work such that she is both snarly and sneaky, it would please both sides. :3

I have 18 for sneaky and 18/19 for snarly. One looked kind of ambiguous but leaned toward snarly.

This vote too close to decide. sad.gif

I will try to draw snarlyface anyway, make the sprite, and put it up to a vote then. Perhaps seeing them in sprite form will change the results to something more decisive. :3

That sounds like a good idea :3 Are you planning on showing just one example, or both? ^^; If people see both snarly/sneaky and angry/vicious forms, I'm sure then everyone (including myself) will have a better way of deciding :3 (Though, until I see them, I still vote sneaky/snarly tongue.gif)

Just making it difficult! xd.png

Pfft it's still even, just 20 to 19. XD

Anyway class is out, I'm heading home. :3

Edited by Lythiaren

I tried to get the DC-playing mother to vote and she said thus: "Pfft. teenage drama. I don't care." "But mom-" "I DON'T CARE 8|"

She's a party pooper.