Lythiaren

Improving the Vines

How would you feel about a vine update?  

1,042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't posted yet, but since you're counting now, I will, lol. I already voted "yes" in the poll.

As for the females, if TJ would allow it, the day/night thing would be amazing! If he says no, I think I would like to see the snarly face.

I have always loved your creations and I know the Vines will look stunning!

I'd actually rather the Vines not have the same thing as the Nocturnes. I like being able to see every sprite all the time, which is why I dislike the Zombies only showing at night as well as the Nocturnes changing at night/day.

As for snarlyface vs. sneakyface I don't really care. I think whichever sprite looks best should be used.

Edited by tikigurl91

I'd like the day/night sprites for the female or for both. But if not, then I truly prefer a cunning-lurking-evil face. That's how I see her. IMO there is much to be said for savagery that catches you offguard, without being open and ~rawr, in your face!, etc.

Crawling through the pages to find the post on the day/night variations but yus, I know I support that even if I can't find the post. :'D

The sprites are static, but these little things make them more fun. x)

I'd actually rather the Vines not have the same thing as the Nocturnes. I like being able to see every sprites all the time, which is why I dislike the Zombies only showing at night as well as the Nocturnes changing at night/day.

I agree with this, honestly. D=

I'm gonna go ahead and get off the fence and make a decision just so you have more input.

After careful consideration I would prefer a cunning-lurking-evil face.

I know my fem vines are just as aggressive as the boys and I feel like the cunning face suits the breed better. Like the calm before the violent storm <3

Hmm, coming back over here again to say that I would rather see the snarly face. I do indeed really like the idea of the subtle viciousness in a sprite if it can be pulled off, but personally I would think it would probably just be a safer bet to go for a more active version. I say this seeing as we probably won't be able to compare the two sprites side by side as well. (I believe that was said before somewhere...? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.)

I'd also be in total support of having the sprites change with the time of day if that would ever be workable!

Awwwww, but with the day/night, we can have BOTH phases - the ebil lurk - and the response when unwary prey passes too close, perhaps to nibble a bright and pretty flower.

We can see the ambush in action, so to speak, and make it clear how the Vines work when dining.

I think the idea is so cool - and one of the sprites is almost all ready...

What about her in the middle of withdrawing back into the plant right after lashing out? So she could still have her jaws in a hiss and a claw or something stretched out, but part of her concealed in the bushes still?

Like, "I missed you on purpose. If you're not gone in two-point-five seconds, you're dead." And all glaring/seething/about to strike again snarlyface

I have an idea. I haven't really thought it through so by all means pull it to pieces wink.gif

What about something like the Sunsets/rises? So depending on when it hatches depends what sprite you get? That way you can choose what sprite you want by when you hatch the egg.

Edit: I don't know how that will work with the existing dragons but perhaps someone else has an idea?

Edited by Wiz

I have an idea. I haven't really thought it through so by all means pull it to pieces wink.gif

What about something like the Sunsets/rises? So depending on when it hatches depends what sprite you get? That way you can choose what sprite you want by when you hatch the egg.

Mmmm, not too fond of that idea either. What would be the reason for this? The Sunrise/sets are like this because they are either Sunrise or Sunset, so they only hatch during that time of the day. I don't see how Vines would be more sneaky or angry throughout different times of the day, which is another reason why I don't like the Nocturne Idea either.

Why not just give the Alts dimorphism as well and have the different pose for the Alt?

Edited by tikigurl91

Why not just give the Alts dimorphism as well and have the different pose for the Alt?

Why not give the regulars dimorphism and leave the alt as is, where as the regular vine will be just as wanted as the alt.

The alt is rare, but the regular is prettier.

I'm all for dimorphism on the regulars, because it brings diversity to the game and realistic-ness.

ETA: The spriter who made the alts is pretty much retired and Lyth very likely doesn't want to touch them.

Edited by earthgirl

Why not give the regulars dimorphism and leave the alt as is, where as the regular vine will be just as wanted as the alt.

The alt is rare, but the regular is prettier.

I'm all for dimorphism on the regulars, because it brings diversity to the game and realistic-ness.

ETA: The spriter who made the alts is pretty much retired and Lyth very likely doesn't want to touch them.

Well there was so much debate on the pose for the female, I thought that would be a good solution. Angry for the regular, sneaky for the alt. Or visa versa. And the Alt Blacks have dimorphism so...

But I wasn't aware another artist made the Alts so that was my bad.

And then again, the alt blacks are considered so much prettier/superior/bolder than the regulars, and this results in people bashing the regular sprites, because they aren't as pretty.

Don't remember if Lyth's ever mentioned the Vines having a preferred hunting time, but most animals seem to be either nocturnal or diurnal...

I vote for the sneakymurderessimakeeluface. My vines do not not spend their whole lifespan attacking; they lie in wait for the right moment to attack.

Yeah I refuse to touch the alts. They're not mine to touch.

I never really specified a preferred hunting time because of how they hunt. They'll take what prey they can get, so they're much like cats in terms of active times. They take their sleep in naps throughout the day, so they're pretty much active whenever they feel something in range. Their eyesight isn't very well suited to darkness, but the fact that they can feel things through the plant means they don't need to see what they've snared to strangle it.

Pleeeeease bear in mind that the day/night sprites were mentioned later in the thread and might have missed some early votes?

I think that would be sooooo cool, and show the reality of WHY the sneaky behaviour - a wonderful illustration of the personality and development of one of DCs more... unusual breeds.

Edit: the description perhaps could make clear their strategy, and perhaps the changeover could be mid-day, rather than night, to prevent confusion about the sprite-change being related to day/night behavioural patterns they don't actually have?

Edited by Syphoneira

All for an active, snarly female.

On the fence on day/night sprites. I think they're decent at suggesting personality, but not being able to see them sometimes vexes me. At least if they're like nocturnes you'll know where they are (Zombies dearly need a daytime sprite).

However it works out, whatever we get, even if we don't get the 2nd sprite in any form, it would be nice to see the vine get updated to take advantage of the larger color palette available now.

Edited by egwenna

I would love a vine update. Dimorphism=yes.

But, the reason I'm posting rather than letting my vote to the talking...please no night/day cycle. It's bad enough I have to stare at my Nocturnes sitting there like dumbarses in a dark cave all day long and only getting to see them flying around for a few hours without adding another rotating sprite to the mix.

Like a lot of users, I like them now and that's why I have some... It's your dragon, though, and if you want to change it, that's your business. Maybe I'll like the new sprite(s) and maybe I won't--it's immaterial.

I guess I don't understand why you're asking for user opinion on something that's really all in your power, especially when none of the other artists have done so for their changes. If you have improvements, bring them on! Who cares what others think?

Short answer: I want this transition to go as smoothly as possible.

I suggest you read the first post, Sadako. If you think I'm doing a full-blown replacement like the golds, you clearly haven't.

Sigh, I'm sorry, I meant that to sound encouraging and positive.

(For the record I did read it and what I said actually is informed by my opinion about what I read there.)

But the sprite isn't changing by much, I promise. sad.gif

I'm still saying sneakyface, but maybe another poll is needed to determine what type of female sprite is wanted/needed (leaving out the male, since he's only getting a slight palette update), since it seems the majority of the people in this thread are giving their approval and are giving their thoughts on both sneakyface and snarlyface :3 (Though, it's totally up to you about if you need another poll xd.png)