Lythiaren

Improving the Vines

How would you feel about a vine update?  

1,042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If it fits Lyth's idea for the dragon, then I really like the idea of the female vine having two different poses for day and night. It sounds like it would really show off the 'rawwwr' and the sneaky-face side of this breed biggrin.gif

If it fits Lyth's idea for the dragon, then I really like the idea of the female vine having two different poses for day and night. It sounds like it would really show off the 'rawwwr' and the sneaky-face side of this breed biggrin.gif

But my idea for the breed is divided. Tell me which one you would prefer. I want to hear about feelings! What are your vines like? :3

Edited by Lythiaren

A second day/night cycle would be cool. I can't really decide between sneaky and snarly. On one hand, I can see them being sneaky, as that feels like their style - hide and ATTACK. RAWR! On the other hand, snarly in-your-face sounds awesome, too. Guess I'm really no help here. xd.png If I absolutely had to choose one, I think I like the sneaky concept just a scale more.

Semi off-topic: Do that day/night thing and Vines get added to my Zombie/Nocturne lineage idea. Ever-changing lineage! Changing sprites are fun. cool.gif

Also on that topic, if that happens I'd rather see sneaky during the day and RAWR at night. Personally.

Edited by AlternateMew

I rather see the vines as sneaky. You are walking along minding your own business and suddenly . . . BAM! You don't know what hit you. laugh.gif

Reminder: This topic is about potential updates to the vines, and not about perceived sexism in dimorphism.

Please return to the topic. Thank you.

Just to add that it would be fine to discuss what you want the female to be doing, but if you want to discuss any subconscious sexism you do or don't see, a thread in SD would probably work best.

~

The only problem I have with day and night versions is that we already have quite a few glitches with the nocturnes because of this. x3

Now that I think about it, I'd like to see the females snarling as they hide all sneaky like, preparing for the attack should an unwary dragon or person walk by xd.png So sneaky/hidden/snarling tongue.gif

The only problem I have with day and night versions is that we already have quite a few glitches with the nocturnes because of this. x3

Yes, that... is a bit of a problem. x_x;

Though if that did wind up being used, it's not like the vines are doing anything drastic like changing colours from day to night. Just... doing something else. :P

Edited by Lythiaren

I think sneaky, it kind of fits in with the idea I have of them using the flowers to lure in unsuspecting prey.

I was surprised to find out that I'm the only person on this thread so far to flat out admit that the Vines are my favorite dragon. Maybe not my favorite sprite, but the entire idea behind them makes them my favorite species.

An update to the male and adding in a female and new hatchies is like a late Christmas present to me. <3

As for the female pose, personally, something stalking me in the leaves and snatching me when I don't expect it is much more terrifying to me than anything 'badass'. And just to mention it, when the male sprite is rearing or something compared to the female, I see it as him showing off for the female, which is the case in my Undine dragons in my sig. The male is rearing with a thicker mane because he's showing off, and not because he's stronger or whatever. >>

I prefer the sneakygonnakillmesilently to her being brute-ish. Lyth, you even said that they were meant to be ambush predators, so the plotty female makes more sense to me.

The egg is fine with me, but I wouldn't complain if the description was changed.

Just to repeat it, Vines are my favorite species and I love you for creating them. <3 <3

I very much enjoy the thought of there being day/night cycles for the Vines. And for a great many other breeds, for that matter...but let's just stick to Vines for now xd.png I like the idea of the female being sneaky during the day, and "RAWR I'LL KEEL JOO" at night >:3

On the subject of Nocturne bugs....what Nocturne bugs? O.o Mine all act as they should, as far as I can tell. *shrug*

Edited by Kanakha

On the subject of Nocturne bugs....what Nocturne bugs? O.o Mine all act as they should, as far as I can tell. *shrug*

Nocturnes like to be funny. They not only break their curfew sometimes, but wreak havoc anywhere they can. They went from a unique breed, to a UnIQUe breed of rule-breakers. xd.png

Edited by AlternateMew

Would we get to vote before any changes were made?

I didn't know about the gold changes til today. xc

I wouldn't choose a side til I saw the female sprite in mind. Right now Im a null vote.

Nocturnes like to be funny. They not only break their curfew sometimes, but wreak havoc anywhere they can. They went from a unique breed, to a UnIQUe breed of rule-breakers. XD

In that case, by all means, please make the day/night sprites. The Nocturnes need some friendz~

The holly hatchlings are also the same, basic form. It would be nice to see the vine hatchies actually different and dimorphic adults [i like dimorphic hatchies too but i didn't read whether or not Lyth did that so :L either way yay for new hatchies~].

People hate dimorphism o_0 ive yet to meet/read of someone like that...

Here's my dilema.. the main thing I want is more contrast between the dragon and the plant. Took me ages to figure out there was actually a dragon under all them vines, so I want the new version to show an OBVIOUS dragon.

Observation on the dimorphism issue.. my question is this.. which is more vicious according to Lyth's description? If the female is the more aggressive, her sprite should show it. But if not, then there is nothing wrong with the sneaky approach.

Observation on the diurnal cycle issue.. I'd prefer NOT. I think the Nocturne should be unique.. and it's too bad that both versions aren't better. One of my least liked sprites, and since the Vines are one of my favs, I'd rather not have them even associated with the Nocturnes.

They're both about as vicious, really. They'll both hide under their leaves (though the female has an easier time of it due to size of plant and orientation of the major fronds) and be sneaky. They'll both lash out without warning when the opportunity arises. Their behaviour sets are very similar.

1. I'd love to see a change to the egg or the description. The differentiation between description and sprite has bothered me for some time. However I do agree with...whoever (sorry I forget who) posted that your proposed description, "This egg was found in a patch of grass and small flowers" doesn't make much sense while the egg is in the cave.

2. YESPLS. Would love to see custom hatchies. I love the red hatchies--as reds. If they must stay for the alts, well, at least they match better.

3. I never had any trouble finding the dragon head, but I admit I had no idea the flytrap was supposed to be a tail. I support some general shinification of the sprite--I love it the way it is but a subtle makeover, like the horses/male sunsets/female purples/etc would be lovely. I am neutral on the moving of the dirt.

4. I am neutral on dimorphism. On the one hand, I'd love to see more shiny lyth sprites...on the other...I love how uniform a pb vine lineage looks <3

If dimorphism does go ahead, a few thoguts that come to mind...

Lyth I know you said they'd be using the same palette, but I really hope that the female comes out looking overall the samish colors as the male (different flowers are great, I just mean the body and vines and stuff. As an example, I'm looking at the neos, they look like they use the same colors (this is eyeballing it, I'm not using an eyedropper tool or anything) but since one leans toward the darker shades and one towards lighter, they don't look the same color. Same with the sunsets before the recent change, they used the same colors but didn't look the same color. I guess what I'm saying is, I want my pb lineages to still look...pb. Not checkered.

I've read over the thread and I think I'd prefer a snarlyface female. If there's no difference in the behavior of males and females, I see no reason for their sprites to reflect a different level of aggression.

Heheh, I think the nocturne's slight bugginess gives it some charm, but maybe that's just me. xd.png

Still totally digging the idea of day/night sprites instead of male/female, bugginess or no! Especially the idea of being sneaky in the day and vicious at night; it makes sense that a dragon that lives underground would need the extra stealth during the day but could use the cover of darkness instead at night. (Of course, gender dimorphic day/night sprites would be epic, but daaang would that be a lot of work. If I have to choose, I personally would go with the day/night.)

I'm kind of liking the initial tweaking you have in your avatar, Lyth, but may I suggest the foliage be taken just a teensy bit more into the yellow end of green? As it is, it's awfully minty, and may match the dragon's underbelly just a bit too much.

Why is there a sudden push lately to "update" sprites? I collected golds because of their looks, and now suddenly they are all different.

I collect vines, have a pretty sizable collection, because I like how they look. Especially the hatchlings that I've frozen. I like them *now*, which is why I collect them. I wouldn't support a change in hatchlings, definitely not.

For my vines, the sneakehplotfaec definitely works better. My girls are sly, deceptive, cunning, not wild and crazy. They're definitely more badass simply because of their stealth and viper-like attack. c:

Why is there a sudden push lately to "update" sprites? I collected golds because of their looks, and now suddenly they are all different.

I collect vines, have a pretty sizable collection, because I like how they look. Especially the hatchlings that I've frozen. I like them *now*, which is why I collect them. I wouldn't support a change in hatchlings, definitely not.

But the vine change isn't sudden, it was part of La Femme and TJ didn't implement it with the rest because he had some issues with it and somehow his feedback never made it to me. The female was done before Naka even joined the forum. o.O

But would you sacrifice consistency and the convenience of alt hunters for your sentiment? It is for the former two that I would like to change them, and for the latter one that I refuse to lay my brush upon any of the alt sprites. What say you?

I've read over the thread and I think I'd prefer a snarlyface female. If there's no difference in the behavior of males and females, I see no reason for their sprites to reflect a different level of aggression.

My thoughts exactly.

Lythiaren, my female vines are just as tough as my male vines. I realize that both male and female vines spend more time lurking and sneaking rather than lashing out, but I hope the female vine is portrayed in a moment when she is lashing out rather than a moment when she is being sneaky. If vines become a breed where the female looks less openly aggressive than the male, it's kinda going to ruin them for me...I want my girls to be captured in a moment when they look like they're about to tear you apart rather than in a moment when they are lurking in wait for prey to come along.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

A quick heads-up:

I will be counting up votes for the female tomorrow afternoon. Please give your opinion as soon as possible I you haven't already. Tell your friends. I don't know if I will be taking further tallies, so it's best that I get as many responses as I can in the first count.

This tally will of course be by user rather than by the number of posts. Though it looks like snarlyface is probably winning.

This one votes snarly-faced female!

If vines become a breed where the female looks less openly aggressive than the male, it's kinda going to ruin them for me...I want my girls to be captured in a moment when they look like they're about to tear you apart rather than in a moment when they are lurking in wait for prey to come along.

This. I like the expression of the current vines, and would like to see some equally as epic for the female.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler