Lythiaren

Improving the Vines

How would you feel about a vine update?  

1,042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Snarly would be better :3 I'd love to see a vine getting royally PO'ed after someones wandered into her territory!

My main problem with this whole idea is this:

If I update the vines, the Silvanon hatchling will have to go.

I loooove the hatchlings as they are. Those things that would change, those are the reasons I freeze vine hatchies. I like the way they look. A lot.

Any way possible we could keep our old sprites *and* have new vines, like was done for the pinks? I'd really hate for all my vines to suddenly look different.

The alt vines will still have the silvanon hatchlings, only the normal vine hatchlings will change.

JUST LOVE THE IDEA!!!!

Awesome, Yay for a female vine, yay for another hatchling, and yay for fixing the actual sprite... YAY!

My main problem with this whole idea is this:

I loooove the hatchlings as they are. Those things that would change, those are the reasons I freeze vine hatchies. I like the way they look. A lot.

Any way possible we could keep our old sprites *and* have new vines, like was done for the pinks? I'd really hate for all my vines to suddenly look different.

You could perhaps petition TJ to convert your frozen hatchlings to alts, as they have nearly identical sprites? That's why I want to change them. They're so similar it's really hard to tell the difference, unlike with blacks. :c

You could perhaps petition TJ to convert your frozen hatchlings to alts, as they have nearly identical sprites? That's why I want to change them. They're so similar it's really hard to tell the difference, unlike with blacks. :c

The main reason I support changing the hatchlings is because of this. When I hatched my first two Vines I was sure they were alts (which they weren't). D: Even looking at the two together I could barely tell the difference.

Sorry if I'm intruding on a discussion, but I'd vote for a "snarly" female, rather than a sneaky one. I my be being over-sensitive, but I prefer that, when it's an option, the female sprite leaves no doubt that she's just as vicious and tough as the male. Plotting under the leaves, while it's a cool idea, could be taken for hiding, instead.

Either way, I'm sure it'll be great. I'm not extremely opposed to a "sneaky" female, but I'd prefer a "snarly" one.

I like this and want this, especially new hatchies that match the adult.

Also, snarly female, because more equally active female dimorphic sprite is always good. And also because Vines never struck me as the type to be both visible and sneaky...once you're there to get killed, THEY KEEL YOU. (The current sprites always looked ferociously female to me anyway.)

gah DX I accidentally voted wrong in the poll...

also I'd favor a sneaky pose for female ^^

AND I think the alt hatchie should rotate like black alts ;D

(speaking of which I'm sure someone's going to start a update the alt black thread soon with all these sprite updating... although they DO need it...)

Edited by 626lavaheart

There could be a transitional period for the hatchlings, where we have like... a two week notice before the sprite changes happen, and all frozen vine hatchies could remain as they are while the adults get their updates :3

I'm very happy with the proposal. I kind of like the idea of making the current sprite the female and making the new one the male, actually, but I can understand that Lytharien already has the sexes chosen in her mind. Actually, a "plotting" male could be nice.

Anyway, my 2¢ for what it's worth.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

In terms of dimorphism, I don't care if the new sprite is for the female or the male. The current sprite does look rather feminine to me. Though after thinking about it for a bit, I'm in favor of the new sprite being the vicious snarly one. The idea of a monstrous creature bursting out of the earth with its' teeth bared...it makes for a fantastic display of power in the dragons.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Geeze is this the kind of 'poll' that was used for the golds? Only found it because it was linked somewhere else.

Can we just leave the old sprites alone and perhaps work on new ones? Ya think?

Geeze is this the kind of 'poll' that was used for the golds?  Only found it because it was linked somewhere else.

Can we just leave the old sprites alone and perhaps work on new ones?  Ya think?

If the general majority of DC wants an update, the poll will show. I'm sorry if you don't want sprites to have a bit of polishing, but if that's what the artists + the rest of DC wants, the minority really doesn't have a say.

The gold replacement poll I saw was absolutely, stunningly overwhelming. Sure there will be people who are upset; there always will be. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Also, if you glance in Dragon Requests, there are HUNDREDS of sprites being worked on, perhaps a thousand if you include those complete and those that have been removed from the list. TJ has plent to choose from. He won't run out anytime soon.

I, personally, am all for a Vine update. Let's see them shinies <3

Edited by Verridith

Geeze is this the kind of 'poll' that was used for the golds?   Only found it because it was linked somewhere else.

Can we just leave the old sprites alone and perhaps work on new ones?  Ya think?

So... you're unsatisfied with my level of transparency? Would you rather I PMed all 52,943 users to personally inform them of this poll? Or broke the rules by posting this in SD, where it does not belong?

And please read the first post. I'm not changing the current sprite to the same extent as the golds were changed. It's more along the lines of the horse, but I'm also adding a female sprite and updating the hatchlings so they're in line with the adults and they're easier to tell apart from alts. I'm not even changing a single pixel on the alts.

Honestly this change is about as old as the gold update. I'm not even kidding, I've had these sprites done for three years. And here I am practically scrapping one of the unseen ones in light of discussion in this very thread.

Edited by Lythiaren

This is an artist wanting to update her own work. Her privilege, I think.

And the fact that she is out here asking for opinions is amazing.

If the general majority of DC wants an update, the poll will show. I'm sorry if you don't want sprites to have a bit of polishing, but if that's what the artists + the rest of DC wants, the minority really doesn't have a say.

I have a problem with this--if the minority doesn't have a say, how do we know who is the minority and who is the majority? How do the people with the unpopular opinion know that their opinion is unpopular and that they should therefore stay quiet? The minority should always at least be able to express themselves, even if no one agrees with them or respects their position. That's like, weird and dystopian of you to say. 2 + 2 = 5, anyone? What if the majority was opposed to what you want? I think your tune might change then.

I mean, I'm the minority here in that I don't care that much about updates and I think the artists can do what they want. I had intended not to say anything more about my opinion, but in light of being told I don't have the right to express it, I decided to repeat myself just because I'm contrary.

Not quite sure I get your point, 貞子. When it all starts out, there is no majority or minority. There's just this poll. As time goes on, more people start to vote, and the majority becomes seen. Until there's a clear difference, though, there is no majority or minority.

You'd have to say that people saying 'no' here are the minority. *points to poll* And it's a matter of pleasing the most people.

I have a problem with this--if the minority doesn't have a say, how do we know who is the minority and who is the majority? How do the people with the unpopular opinion know that their opinion is unpopular and that they should therefore stay quiet? The minority should always at least be able to express themselves, even if no one agrees with them or respects their position. That's like, weird and dystopian of you to say. 2 + 2 = 5, anyone? What if the majority was opposed to what you want? I think your tune might change then.

I mean, I'm the minority here in that I don't care that much about updates and I think the artists can do what they want. I had intended not to say anything more about my opinion, but in light of being told I don't have the right to express it, I decided to repeat myself just because I'm contrary.

I completely agree with you: everyone has the right to express themselves, and the poll's purpose is excatly that, with it you can see what everyone's thoughts are. i think that verridith didn't mean to step over the minority, but it's a matter of fact that we are in a democracy (at least in the poll), so everyone can agree or disagree with the topic, but in the end majority wins ( n in this case both the majority n the artist want it)

i support the update of the vines n i'd love to see them improved, but i respect the opinion of people which do not want it.

I love Vine Dragons. I have tons of them because they're one of my favorite species. I would love them even more if dimorphism was added and the sprites tweaked. I support updating the sprites. smile.gif

I'm new so I don't have any Vines, but reading this thread and hearing about them from the artist, really makes me want to have some! biggrin.gif

My votes...

1. Egg - That makes a lot of sense and I certainly have no objection.

2. Hatchlings - I understand the need to change them since they were by another artist, as well as they don't match the adult. I like the idea a lot! and I love the sketch! I had no idea the fly-trap was their tail! I'd love to see more pictures of them, even if it never goes 'to cave' just for the fun of knowing the species. biggrin.gif

3. Dimorphism - yes, please. Even though my main collection is Whiptails, which have none, I like it a lot! I support them being different but equal.

4. The proposed changes sound amazing, but I don't really want to see a day/night thing. From what Lyth says, it doesn't really make sense either. I prefer a different sprite for the genders, but not one that changes from day to night.

5. Snarly or Sneaky? I prefer Sneaky. To me, that shows more intelligence, cunning, and viciousness. A crouching leopard, creeping closer to spring is ten times more scary to me than a dog barking and screaming at the end of a chain. Most of the time, the noisy 'rabid' howling animal is just putting on the show. The silent, focused one is the one that's going to kill you. biggrin.gif

Almost all animals that are predators are ambush predators with good reason. It's smarter, safer, and more effective. Lions don't run at gazelle roaring and howling. Wolves don't run straight into deer, barking and making a bunch of worthless noise. Alligators lay motionless and hidden before they lunge up, grab something and drag it away. I can't really think of a single predator that makes a huge amount of noise when hunting or killing their prey.

I guess you could say the 'snarly" could be that lunge as she attacks her prey, but all the talk of 'crawling out of the ground like a ravening zombie' doesn't make me think 'vicious and deadly', but more 'sick and deranged and threatened'. That doesn't seem to fit Vines at all.

I think that Verrideth means that they don't 'get a say' in the sense of being able to stop the changes entirely. Which is true, if a majority want the changes then the minority can't do anything to stop them. They can still express their opinions, though.

I think this is plenty transparent. IMO a DC user should look at the Suggestions board at least once a week, because even TJ starts boards here. This is the most logical place to put the thread.

The majority always wins. Its how it is in everything, including presidental elections. The minority may see it as being unfair but in truth, it is fair because more people wanted it than those who did not.

Vines are one of my favorite dragons, one of my first four dragons is a Vine, whom I love to pieces. *pats Hound's Folly on his pointy snout*

I would like to see a hatchling sprite update, for all the reasons the artist listed. They really don't match the adults at all. As for the adult sprite - I guess a brush up would be ok, but I'd be sorely disappointed if they had a major makeover...but it sounds like that's not going to happen, which is a good thing.

As for dimorphism...I dunno. I have a decent amount of male and female Vines, so if there was a change, I think I'd be pretty cool with it. I'm weird about having equal numbers of each sprite - I go bonkers if I have say, 5 males and 7 females and the sprites are different. But as a whole, I do like dimorphism smile.gif

So I guess...hatchling overhaul - yes. Minor changes and spit and polish to the adult - okies. Massive reworking of adult sprite...oh heck no.

Oh, and I envision my Vines to be fierce and rather grumpy to most. But to those they get to know, they are loyal and protective. Hound is one of my cave leaders...sort of a wise old coot who councils the hatchlings and keeps an eye on everyone. Most of my other dragons have a healthy respect for him. That may not be how the artist envisions the breed, but since I love them so much...I softened their hard edge just a bit. wink.gif