Lythiaren

Improving the Vines

How would you feel about a vine update?  

1,042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Discussion is important, but I think I can relate to Mysfytt's excitement — part of me just wants to roll around in the back seat and chant, "Are we there yet?!" ohmy.gif

-snip-

I may be an annoying creeper, but I totally mean well. And I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not the only one of my kind. biggrin.gif

I got that vibe, too. xd.png I can feel it. Its an excited, "yay!" feeling, not a "hurry up and get it over with" feeling. You've got us excited about the update, Lyth! laugh.gif

Edited by AlternateMew

yep - sorry - definitely impatient. *are we there yeeeetttttt.....*

I know Lytharian has done the sprites already to some degree, and from the poll the vast majority of us do want the change - whether its only dimorphism or a completely new look.

I just would like to see what we are voting yes for though, it might move the critiques one way or the other instead of just voting blind and discussing the what if and maybes. Why not discuss what it actually is?

Swung by to see if anything had been decided here!

Can I enter a passionate, heartfelt plea that, *if* you decide to go for dimorphism, could it be the MALE sprite that changes rather than the female?!

I like my lady!Vines, I don't want them to change, or at least not to change too much. (One of the main reasons I'm leery of dimorphism, actually, is because it seems to have been applied mainly to females, and my scroll is 2/3s to 3/4s female -- so all those beautiful sprites I spent time collecting suddenly changed without warning!)

I must confess I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other about the hatchlings (although now you've pointed it out: bicolour horns, why are you so odd!?), so go nuts on them. biggrin.gif

Pretty sure I've commented before regarding alts, but I'll say again: I'd like it if the alt sprite didn't change -- I love pretty much everything about it, though I haven't managed to get one yet. Something to look forward to! If you're desperate to change it, though, can I beg that perhaps the new one becomes the male, and the old sprite remains as the female?

Thank you for opening this to comments, and best of luck getting the ball rolling on it!

Swung by to see if anything had been decided here! 

Can I enter a passionate, heartfelt plea that, *if* you decide to go for dimorphism, could it be the MALE sprite that changes rather than the female?! 

I like my lady!Vines, I don't want them to change, or at least not to change too much.   (One of the main reasons I'm leery of dimorphism, actually, is because it seems to have been applied mainly to females, and my scroll is 2/3s to 3/4s  female -- so all those beautiful sprites I spent time collecting suddenly changed without warning!)

I must confess I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other about the hatchlings (although now you've pointed it out: bicolour horns, why are you so odd!?), so go nuts on them.  biggrin.gif 

Pretty sure I've commented before regarding alts, but I'll say again: I'd like it if the alt sprite didn't change -- I love pretty much everything about it, though I haven't managed to get one yet.  Something to look forward to!  If you're desperate to change it, though, can I beg that perhaps the new one becomes the male, and the old sprite remains as the female? 

Thank you for opening this to comments, and best of luck getting the ball rolling on it!

Well, when La Femme first came about, I decided that Lady Vine should be better than Lordling Vine at everything except not getting leaves in her face. The thing is, the sprite as it stands now is honestly not super good at camouflage, because the fronds are actually pretty sparse. So if I was to make a new sprite for the male, then... well, for starters, he'd only have one flower (since the female has one more flower than the male, if the new one is the female she gets three) and the plant would be... kind of bare?

I feel like people would be pretty disappointed if I left the current one as the female and, in order to achieve the difference I want, had to make the male just kind of gangly and awkward and bad at what he does. In contrast, if I was to make the new sprite the male and made him super awesome, he'd then overshadow the female and be... well, not really what I envisioned.

Does that make sense? ._.;;a

Also, I will not -- will not -- be touching a single pixel on the alts. That's one thing I am going to be adamant about. Alts are safe. I'm not touching them.

Edited by Lythiaren

Though I always saw the current sprites as being more female than male, (maybe because I have an overload of female vines xd.png) I can definitely understand your reasoning to have them be the males. You obviously have them very much fleshed out and I'd love to see the vines getting dimorphism. As you've described it so far, the female sounds awesomely fierce biggrin.gif

My vote for this is the same as my vote for any other updates... dimorphism me likey. biggrin.gif So long as I see that word in your post, and it doesn't have "absolutely no" in front of it, I'm on board.

Bring on the girly-vines and the macho-vines!

I was never much of a fan of the Vines(Sorry T-T) so I'm all for the change. I really want to see how the new idea is turned in to pixels :3 For what I've seen here in Dragon Cave, change = cooler and more up to date Dragons, so I'm looking forward to the new sprites <3

I also love Dimorphism *-* so there's another big YES!

Honestly, I had no idea the flytrap was part of the dragon, I thought it was part of the plant. As for the number of flowers, in real plants that changes daily, so it didn't bother me. I couldn't see any blossoms on the hatchling anyway, only vines, so I didn't know there was a descrepancy.

I'll miss the shape of the hatchling, it being the same as the old pink hatchling and the red(which I hear is also to be updated), but there's always the wiki if I miss them too much, pics are archived there.

But then again, I view everything on an old-fashioned CRT monitor, so when I sneak on DC at work on the flatscreen, EVERYTHING looks shiny and new.

Do remember, Holly Hatchlings has the same base as Old Pinks, Reds, Vines, and Alt Vines. Alt Vines will still have the look it has now =)

As for the number of flowers, in real plants that changes daily

Real plants also tend to pollinate and don't snare birds in their flowers. >_>

Edited by Lythiaren

I'm still nutruel on the Lady Vines, but I definetly want new regular hatchie sprites and new description.

Typing with one hand is annoying. Thanks, Top. dry.gif

Whoo, there's a ton of pages on this.

1: Egg does not match the description. I've no problem with updating the egg description, go for it. The proposed updated wording is awkward since as mention on a page somewhere that egg descriptions are usually in present tense and there is a "was found" in the proposed change, both past tense. Why not simply This egg is sitting in a patch of grass and small flowers and leave out the magical sunlight factor as planned.

If the breed itself does not do well with plants around the egg/hatchling then the other proposed idea (somewhere among the first 13 pages of the thread) "This egg is sitting in a patch of dirt" seems equally fitting.

Besides, the con of more vines in the AP I doubt is really a problem. Vines are tough to get a hand on at the moment. I'd love to start AP catching CB vines again tongue.gif

2: Hatchlings. If I update the vines, the Silvanon hatchling will have to go. Totally game on this idea. One re-colored sprite standing in for so many breeds is silly. It is a cute sprite, yes. But one to better match the breed would be just spiffy.

3: The current sprite, and what's wrong with it. I do not mind seeing a tweak in the sprite. If the head needs to be re-shaped a squeak and some contrast in the colors added, then that seems to be something that would just improve the sprite.

4: Dimorphism. Hit and miss here. Some of my favorite sprites that I had female dominate collections were completely . . . I don't want to say ruined, but they were less desirable to me. I completely stopped one of my projects using female grays when the sprites changed because I disliked the new female gray. I still do. I accept her, but she's fallen off my list of favorites. The traditional gray which became the male was much better. Blacks too were another which went the wrong way for me. And Sunsets. Autumns (but I collect you senselessly every fall anyway u_u). All because that silly female sprite was put into place. However the new pinks I really did like (mostly it was a color issue. The softer pink is easier on the eyes). So it has to be done carefully and equally to the male sprite.

The idea of a sneaky female . . . I would like to see the sprites equally snarly. If I'm close enough to see them and study them in detail, they're probably past the sneaky phase and are pouncing. Inspire me with fear.

And in other news . . .

Morphing between and day sprite and a night sprite, I actually very much like this idea. If they are trying to act like plants and be sneaky, then many plants go through day/night cycles. Day Lilies are a prime example. They have their flowers open during the day and closed at night. Prayer Plants fold their leaves up at night as do Sensitive Plants. Sunflowers trace the arc of the sun through the sky with their faces. If the Dark Greens were snarly-pounce during the day and hiding under their leaves at night, that would be totally cool.

lol, sorry but I never considered the dragons to be snarly. My 2nd dragon was a dark green and I always thought he was chillin' in his hole catching some rays. The open mouth was a grin because he's enjoying his time doing nothing and the nice weather.

BUMP so that everyone can see this! v. important

And I'd love to see the sprites too :3

YES.

Do want.

The way I see it, it's your dragon, so you ought to be allowed to do what YOU feel is best for it, and people should respect that.

TJ will have the ultimate say in what happens, but laid out plans are useful for deciding if it's useful or not. wink.gif

First of all. I don't think the (regular) Vines NEED changing or updating at all, I like them very much. I'm not a big fan of the Alt, but I understand that is not on topic here so I'll not go into that.

If you want to change them yourself, I have no problems with that (as long as it is not too drastic, I still can't get used to the new Gold...)

1. Egg

Although I would like it if the egg was changed so it looks more different from Green and Mint eggs, I get why you would prefer not to change it and I'm fine with that.

I agree with Draketeeth about the wording, though. Leaving the first part unchanged will also have the benefit that the need to re-learn the description will not be so big.

2. Hatchling

I fully support a new hatchling, if only because it would be clearer if your egg hatched alt (I do have problems with that as it is).

I think a pose where it's digging would be kinda cute, and make the link with the dirt of the adult sprite.

On the other hand, I don't freeze, and hatchlings are only on my scroll for very limited time, so whatever you choose to do with them is fine by me smile.gif

3. Current sprite

What you suggest sounds fine, but please, please, don't change it too much. I really like that sprite!

4. Dimorphism

I'm a fan of dimorphism, enough said. I'm sorry, I don't really have much inspiration about how i would like it to look, and I'm sure you'll do a great job on it.

Real plants also tend to pollinate and don't snare birds in their flowers. >_>

Er...

It has been known...

And I have dragons called nepenthe.... blink.gif

There is also a plant called Drosera Binata Dichotoma, which has eaten a wren.

I support these completely, I always like to see new sprite changes and I never liked how the vines shared the same basic hatchling sprites as reds and bright pinks.

I have a little question-would the hatchie sprites have dimorphism as well?

Post to bump and because I am curious about this as well. Although I'm getting the impression that the hatchies would -not- be dimorphic? I can't say I really have an opinion here yet, as the idea of a new hatchie period is enough to make me happy.

Post to bump and because I am curious about this as well. Although I'm getting the impression that the hatchies would -not- be dimorphic? I can't say I really have an opinion here yet, as the idea of a new hatchie period is enough to make me happy.

Yeah they would, but the difference would be little more than a colour change on the flowers.

Yeah they would, but the difference would be little more than a colour change on the flowers.

*Squee*

*Jumps around in joy anyways*

And while I'm on it, I think that

1. Hatchlings- I think they should be sort of confused and a bit clumsy, rather than snarly and impatient. A bit like adolescents going through puberty who's got no idea what's happening.

2. Dimorphism- please make the lady vines equally snarly as the male. I do love strong female characters, and if it weren't for the limit I set on myself, I would have made an army of female hellfires.

Edited by ylangylang

I support! You've really laid out your plan, and most (if not all) of the pros and cons of each change you plan to implement. It's all very clear, understandable, and in a vert organised manner.

Egg: Honestly, I didn't even notice the mistake at first... But now that you've mentioned it, I think it should be changed. Though I don't think the description change would make too big a difference, since most of the first sentence remains the same and (at least for me,) most people usually read the first sentence/few words to click on an egg in the cave.

Hatchlings: I wouldn't mind the hatchlings being changed, since the current hatchlings are being used for the Holly, Vine, Red, and Bright Pink (even though they are discontinued), plus, I would love to see your new sprites ^^ And yes, it is quite difficult to differentiate a normal vine from an alt vine at S1 stage, though there is a slight color difference.

Adult: I don't think the sprite change would cause too big a fuss either, in fact, if the Vines could be more visible without the need for squinting, why not?

Dimorphism: Ooh, I'm mostly neutral about this, though learning a bit more towards the support side, it's always nice to have a separate sprite for different genders, in my opinion at least. Again, I would love to see your new sprite ^^

But anyways, it's your dragon, and I think you know it best, so I believe you'll be able to do a great job on it regardless ^^

(Just realised how long this post is... Oops unsure.gif)

Lyth, if you're done, I say implement 'em NOW tongue.gif!